Monster Killing Strats For WARRIOR!

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Warrior » Monster Killing Strats for WARRIOR!
Monster Killing Strats for WARRIOR!
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
By BlaTheTaru 2020-01-29 13:51:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Spaitin can you post your upheaval and KJ sets for me? I think I'm pretty close to BiS but I don't know that I could solo DD some of the mobs you have been doing. I also use that hjarrandi set 99% of the time and I still find myself getting hit pretty hard from kin/gin when I multibox them. I'm not sure what I'm missing as my alts are all well geared for their jobs.
By Spaitin 2020-01-29 14:00:18
Link | Quote | Reply

ItemSet 370967

ItemSet 367495

For kin/gin i do Bolster frail + lightshot dia + vex + attunement. SAM+Monks rolls. Monks roll is kinda OP for kin. We commonly have MS up for kin. fight takes maybe 40 seconds with a resolution spam. Keep defender up instead of berserk for both fights with bolstered frail. Bolster BOG etc right at the beginning. WE have max geo cor bard and whm though. so might be hard to compete with us. You can get in 2-3 reso each before kin does a TP move. Reso takes like 8% of his HP each.

I dont really solo multipbox. My partner and I both control 3 toons each. We just set our whm to curebot and smash. I use hja when i have to, but on zergs i RARELY find the need to have a hybrid set.

King's is gonna be str and WSD. Upheaval is vit + wsd. get as much acc as possible on them as well.

ItemSet 366564

This is the MS reso set i use. STR and crit dmg on all pieces + as much acc as possible. I used taupe stones i believe.
By BlaTheTaru 2020-01-29 14:03:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Whats the difference in augments between the sets? I have one piece with high str, acc/atk and wsd while the other has vit in place of the strength. I rarely use MS in omen. I suppose its a mental constraint from the days of it being a 2hr ability. I'll try monks roll next time.
By Spaitin 2020-01-29 14:05:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont recommend chango on kin/gin. i recommend a non SC ws spam. Reso/spiral/save/calamity/mistra/decimation etc.

And yeah STR for kings, vit for up. that is the only difference.

ItemSet 366563
This set is for MS upheaval. vit and crit dmg on the augments. Should be in high 70k - mid 80k averages.
By BlaTheTaru 2020-01-29 14:08:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I'm behind on having a crit damage reso set. I'll try my maga luck this weekend with it. We did teles last weekend and spamming reso with ms up I lost parse to a Sam using shining one by 40k so I really need to make that set.
By Spaitin 2020-01-29 14:10:21
Link | Quote | Reply

BlaTheTaru said: »
Yeah I'm behind on having a crit damage reso set. I'll try my maga luck this weekend with it. We did teles last weekend and spamming reso with ms up I lost parse to a Sam using shining one by 40k so I really need to make that set.
On teles i using shining one on war. Should pretty easily beat a shining one sam since you would have 100% crit hit rate. I have done teles with 99k averages on war before spamming as fast as possible. Should be around 90k+ on average for teles with shining one. Sam/fighters roll is a must. gives you a 3 hit build. so Impulse > attack round > impulse > attack round etc.
By BlaTheTaru 2020-01-29 14:12:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I debated on using it but opted not to. I'll use it next time and see how it does. Do you use the same set for impulse during MS as you use for reso?
By Spaitin 2020-01-29 14:14:32
Link | Quote | Reply

No, just standard impulse set, i use yetshila instead of knob, that is the only change. Teles takes extra piercing damage so shining one has a BIG advantage.

MS reso build should also fairly easily beat a sam. Should be in the 85k+ average ws range. In escha you should be using the raetic algol +1 with a raetic TP set. It will TP INSANELY FAST. as in 2k+ TP before the WS is done. It is a 3 hit build to 1200 TP with something like 2.8 hits per attack round + retaliation.

However, if you are going to be DPS partnering with a impulse drive sam on teles, i recommend using drepanum with spiral hell. During MS it will cap dmg and the best part. Impulse >Spiral makes darkness AND Spiral >impulse makes darkness. Can procc her. I fairly recently started using the scythe and I must say, super fun. During warcry is is kinda outrageous.

Idk if you use a tank or not. I dont, dont find a need for one on her.

If doing kei. I recommend cor cor bard whm geo war. works really well. Hard to multibox imo, but can be done with practice.

Bolster frail + vex/attun

SAM/FIGHTER/RUNIST/Allies from the cor. Use miso ramen. Have the bard go HM VM madrigal x2. Mob will literally have 1 defense so use defender instead of berserk.

pop mighty strikes and tomahak and do RR > RR > UP > UP to take about 20% of the mobs HP . can finish the fight in a couple minutes.

If you want to solo DPS schah. go cor cor bard whm geo war. Same geo buffs. sam/fighter/mnk/allies. Pop your 1 hours and go Kings > UP > UP. Takes 3-4 rotations of that SC to kill him. The geo just basically stops the mob from enfeebling you. If you want to have a Rune in the party for odylic. I just recommend having the cor bard rune AND war zerg the mob to death. That actually might be the best strat imo. Dies in like 20-40 seconds to either strat.
[+]
By BlaTheTaru 2020-01-29 17:07:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Ive multiboxed kei before. I think one of my biggest issues is im always way over capping attack when I could be using other buffs.
By Spaitin 2020-01-29 17:15:42
Link | Quote | Reply

BlaTheTaru said: »
Ive multiboxed kei before. I think one of my biggest issues is im always way over capping attack when I could be using other buffs.
Lots of people do that. especially in 1 hour zergs. you literally need 6 attack to guarantee cap with every job. By realizing frailty + bolster + dia will cap your attack, you can use those buffs for other things.

Also if you have an idris geo plus light shot dia and a bard. Chaos roll is a complete waste of a buff. Not just on war. I found you cap attack on onchyphora/neak/yakshi on mnk/drg/bst/dnc/blu/sam/drk with just fury/frail dia HM + 1 attack song.

Bolstered frail takes the mobs defense down 84%. Dian adds another 15%

So without light shot the mob is at 1% defense. even if the mob had 10k defense, you would cap attack without attack buffs. With lightshot you take them down to LITERALLY 1 defense. So in 1 hour zergs you will see people who have an attack to defense ratio of something silly like 4000:1
 Asura.Zulaern
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Zulaern
By Asura.Zulaern 2020-02-21 13:01:11
Link | Quote | Reply

So I read this whole thread, which had some interesting info in it, besides all the arguing, but it touched on a question I've been trying to find an answer to lately...

If you could only have 1 of either WAR or SAM, which would you pick and why? I realize I'm in the WAR forum and may get biased answered, but many of you have both maxed out.
 Asura.Dakrone
By Asura.Dakrone 2020-02-21 13:59:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Zulaern said: »
So I read this whole thread, which had some interesting info in it, besides all the arguing, but it touched on a question I've been trying to find an answer to lately...

If you could only have 1 of either WAR or SAM, which would you pick and why? I realize I'm in the WAR forum and may get biased answered, but many of you have both maxed out.

Choosing which to pick over the other is quite hard, it comes down to preference personally on yourself.

This has probably already been brought up previously but each has it's own perk's of outperforming the other in different situations but not reliably by a huge margin either. WAR if just striaght up MS zerg'ing stuff while SAM is overall a better solo dd by self sc'ing. But granted WAR can also sc just not overall @SAM's tier of sc'ing. While WAR is just a massive beast when MS Zerg'ing, don't get me wrong sam is reliably as good in zerg'ing situations, with it's perks of Yaeg/Meikyo but then again not on WAR's lvl of zerg with MS up.

With my personal preference, i prefer SAM when i'm 4-6boxing and is the only DD, but if actually zerg'ing stuff like WoC or Reis T4s with an alliance i'd prefer going with War. So take your pick.

But i would go with sam, since i can solo DD just about all the Escha's NM including Reis T4s 6boxing on sam just multi-step sc whenever i feel like farming aeonics for mules. Granted i'm unsure if War can do the same, not saying they potentially can't but i have yet to test it.
 Bahamut.Nikkije
Server: Bahamut
user: nikkije
By Bahamut.Nikkije 2020-02-21 14:12:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I have both and honestly it's situational on which one I decide to bring. I know that sounds like a cop-out answer and I'm sorry, but so much more detail is needed in order to choose. I prefer my WAR because it's like throwing the kitchen sink at your enemy, the job can adapt on the fly to any situation and react to it, not to mention it can handle so many different weapons and damage types well. On the other hand, SAM can handle a literal ton of content these days thanks to the Kenda +1 set and abilities like Yaegusumi.

At the end of the day, my choice depends on party composition. If I am sole DD, then I prefer my SAM and can just multistep something to death. If I am in a group with another DD and it's more of a zerg like battle, my SAM would fall behind and I would definitely prefer my WAR.

There is so much more to even just these things though, so the answer is not easy to come by.
 Asura.Zulaern
By Asura.Zulaern 2020-02-21 14:34:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't have the time or gil to farm a Masamune, but Doji or Chango are very well within my means. Does that pretty much make the decision since Masa > Doji?

Or when you're in these solo situations where you're SC'ing are you actually using Doji for the extra SC damage?

Something else I thought of, I get the feeling that SAM is better in situations where high accuracy is needed, is that true? Or is it about the same?

I have a decently geared COR right now and want to focus on WAR or SAM next but it's killing me trying to figure out which to do.

Like I mentioned above, I don't have the time or resources to devote to both. Even mastering one of them will take me awhile.
 Bahamut.Nikkije
By Bahamut.Nikkije 2020-02-21 14:42:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't have the time or gil to farm a Masamune, but Doji or Chango are very well within my means. Does that pretty much make the decision since Masa > Doji?

Or when you're in these solo situations where you're SC'ing are you actually using Doji for the extra SC damage?

I haven't finished Masa yet, still farming Isgebind Hearts currently. My alt SAM has R15 Doji and I think it performs exceptionally, the only difference between them is you either have Light-Radiance or Light-Light but I don't think it's that significant.

Chango is an awesome weapon as well, but honestly, I found it a little more difficult to gear for with that VIT modifier than I did gearing for Fudo on Doji.

Both jobs are in a great place and it's hard to go wrong, but in your situation, you may be able to get a SAM up and functioning out of the box quicker than a WAR. Just my 2 bitcoins.

Edit: I don't think the accuracy is any greater on SAM than it would be on WAR (or any other DD for that matter).
 Asura.Zulaern
By Asura.Zulaern 2020-02-21 15:00:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Nikkije said: »

I haven't finished Masa yet, still farming Isgebind Hearts currently. My alt SAM has R15 Doji and I think it performs exceptionally, the only difference between them is you either have Light-Radiance or Light-Light but I don't think it's that significant.

Chango is an awesome weapon as well, but honestly, I found it a little more difficult to gear for with that VIT modifier than I did gearing for Fudo on Doji.

Both jobs are in a great place and it's hard to go wrong, but in your situation, you may be able to get a SAM up and functioning out of the box quicker than a WAR. Just my 2 bitcoins.

Edit: I don't think the accuracy is any greater on SAM than it would be on WAR (or any other DD for that matter).
Thanks for the info. And if you don't mind to answer a few more questions, do you have any particular reason why you think SAM might be easier to get up and running before WAR?
 Shiva.Ariaum
Server: Shiva
user: Ariaum
By Shiva.Ariaum 2020-02-21 15:14:15
Link | Quote | Reply

They are both good, one has a slight DPS advantage(SAM), the other(WAR) has Warcry and Bloodrage what will increase DPS for the party. WAR meta gear is great at being punched in the face. SAM meta gear has easy access to a set with high MEVA. Both have strong 1 hours war will probably win on any short fight with 1 hours. They both can multi step SC for considerable SC dmg.

All DD are very close Acc/DPS atm pick whatever you have fun playing.
 Bahamut.Nikkije
By Bahamut.Nikkije 2020-02-21 15:30:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Nikkije said: »

Thanks for the info. And if you don't mind to answer a few more questions, do you have any particular reason why you think SAM might be easier to get up and running before WAR?

You're welcome, and I'm by no means an expert on the matter like some of these other guys. I personally thought gearing SAM was easier because I only geared it for Great Katana. SAM can do impressive stuff with a polearm like Shining One as well, but I haven't explored that much at this point. WAR was harder for me to build out because it was more than just great axe, I also have a great sword set, a Naegling savage blade set, a dual wield Ambuscade axe set, etc... due to the flexibility that WAR provides. It's more gear intensive.

Edit: the truth is SE has a pretty nice balance among DD's at this point and you should play what you enjoy. Each job has it's places to shine, and there isn't a wrong answer. If you don't have a ton of time to sink into a job, I still personally think SAM would be easier.
 Asura.Dakrone
By Asura.Dakrone 2020-02-21 15:47:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Something else I thought of, I get the feeling that SAM is better in situations where high accuracy is needed, is that true? Or is it about the same?

I have a decently geared COR right now and want to focus on WAR or SAM next but it's killing me trying to figure out which to do.

Like I mentioned above, I don't have the time or resources to devote to both. Even mastering one of them will take me awhile.

As a career SAM, i find myself using a R15 Doji more often than i do of Masa. Any event i do, i practically run a core party of 4box-6box meaning i'm generally am a solo DD whether my linkshell is leeching off for gears from omen or escha clearing. Only time i find myself using Masa would be when its an alliance event for zerg'ing down NM for shits and giggles such as Zitah/Ru'aun NM's for aeonic clear with like 4-6 other DD's, or Dynamis W3. But don't get me wrong R15 MASA is insance whitedmg and a massive boost to fudo.

But if you're generally just solo sc'ing stuff, R15 Doji out dps Masa by quite a bit. Don't get me wrong, MASA is a great arsenal to sam, but i just find myself using Doji more times than i find myself using Masa.
By Taint 2020-02-21 15:56:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dakrone said: »

As a career SAM, i find myself using a R15 Doji more often than i do of Masa. Any event i do, i practically run a core party of 4box-6box meaning i'm generally am a solo DD whether my linkshell is leeching off for gears from omen or escha clearing. Only time i find myself using Masa would be when its an alliance event for zerg'ing down NM for shits and giggles such as Zitah/Ru'aun NM's for aeonic clear with like 4-6 other DD's, or Dynamis W3. But don't get me wrong R15 MASA is insance whitedmg and a massive boost to fudo.

But if you're generally just solo sc'ing stuff, R15 Doji out dps Masa by quite a bit. Don't get me wrong, MASA is a great arsenal to sam, but i just find myself using Doji more times than i find myself using Masa.

I find Masa to always be equal to or better than Doji. Fudo +10% is just too much for Doji to surpass and the 99k SC damage cap really limits Dojis potential.
[+]
 Asura.Arico
user: Tename
By Asura.Arico 2020-02-21 16:09:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »
I find Masa to always be equal to or better than Doji. Fudo +10% is just too much for Doji to surpass and the 99k SC damage cap really limits Dojis potential.

I 100% agree. Fudo spam is amazing, but even 4 stepping with a R15 masa does insane damage. Is a 99,999 Radiance really better than a 99,999 light? Obviously not
[+]
 Asura.Zulaern
By Asura.Zulaern 2020-02-21 16:32:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Gun to your head, Doji SAM or Chango WAR? Go.
 Asura.Dakrone
By Asura.Dakrone 2020-02-21 16:35:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Arico said: »

I 100% agree. Fudo spam is amazing, but even 4 stepping with a R15 masa does insane damage. Is a 99,999 Radiance really better than a 99,999 light? Obviously not

I agree on the Masa usage when capping SC'ing dmg, but otherwise i'd resort to Doji in most cases. And i stand corrected, even in Dynamis W3 Megaboss i use Doji over Masa. Doji with jinpu can potentially outparse DP Cor on MB.

SAM, no question ask.
By Taint 2020-02-21 18:28:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Doji no question.

I have both at r15 and Chango while very strong never feels strong.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-02-21 18:51:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Warrior due to sheer versatility. Warrior can pick up almost any weapon using any combat style and deal great damage even with silly stuff like /MNK H2H. Multitudes of tools to deal painful death to pixels.
[+]
 Asura.Arico
user: Tename
By Asura.Arico 2020-02-21 22:02:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Doji no question.

I have both at r15 and Chango while very strong never feels strong.

Ya agree again.

I love my war, and it IS strong, but it certainly doesn’t feel strong.

Also, this is a super hot take, but I think people way over value MS/BR
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-02-22 07:41:19
Link | Quote | Reply

MS + BR is crazy strong for super short boss fights, the real powerhouse is Warcry and Blood Rage if using WS's that can crit. Both of these effect not only the WAR but also everyone else in the party. We value Warcry and Bloodrage more then MS/BR, unless all someone does is short 60s fights.
By malakef 2020-02-22 07:49:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the issue is while MS is super strong we use it once every 45 minutes and while it’s down, WAR feels a little behind SAM. So doing a Round of HELMs melee style you might use MS on say Alby but the rest it’s not up for and during that time Id just rather be a SAM. So take that L on Alby and rest of time you compete for the top. At least that’s how it feels and maybe that’s all it is but I seem to parse better that way too.

Oh and the whole Damage cap at 99999 is a problem too. I mean we got COR’s dropping 70k savage blades now...
 Valefor.Yandaime
Server: Valefor
user: Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2020-02-22 10:24:17
Link | Quote | Reply

malakef said: »
Oh and the whole Damage cap at 99999 is a problem too. I mean we got COR’s dropping 70k savage blades now...

Uh oh... I guess it’s getting to that point where it’s time for SE to bring out the ol’ Genji Gloves!
 Asura.Sirris
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2020-02-22 10:51:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I might be biased as well, but I say warrior. I don't find samurai particularly fun to play, since you're limited to 2 weapon types and there's not much "neat" about the job (like DRG gets a pet or DRK has black magic). Multistepping is cool and I think SAM actually has higher sustained dps than WAR, but warrior is so versatile. There are axe builds, sword builds, polearm, scythe, even hand-to-hand builds... WAR covers all melee damage types well. I main'ed Koga SAM back in earlier Adoulin days but when I decided to gear a heavy DD out again I went for DRG and WAR.

Warrior is easy and cheap to gear versus samurai. Greatsword or Ambu axe builds will have you up and running quickly, and they are competitive with other DDs who have put in a lot more investment. On the other hand if you want to be versatile you can put endless effort into the job. It's the perfect job for me. The only caveat, like Taint said, is that Chango never really feels that strong, even though it parses best overall out of warrior's weapons. I feel much stronger on my DRG outside of Mighty Strikes.
[+]