Forum » FFXI » General » Final fantasy 11 GPU compatibility
Final fantasy 11 GPU compatibility
 Asura.Lewyo
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Lewyo
By Asura.Lewyo 2019-07-26 06:08:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I upgraded my GPU about 3 months ago to an Nvidia RTX 2080 as my old card failed. I was at the time of the upgrade running windows 7 and it was a simple swap out/in with no problems, The game ran fine with no graphical issues.

2 weeks ago i apprehensively made the leap to windows 10 and after farming some beads i noticed that when i warped into La Theine Plateau i would get a black screen and the only thing i could see was myself, other players, the warp crystal and i could not move but that was the only real issue i noticed and i just used my Mea ring to warp out.

Last week i gave my pc an upgrade (Will list upgrade parts below) and installed everything back on my system.
When running FF11 now though it has given me different issues the first problem i noticed and it happened randomly was all the text would vanish including spell list, Warp text destinations etc and the only thing that fixed this was to shutdown and log in.

The issue i was getting with the black screen in La Theine Plateau was now happening in most other areas randomly but this time i had to shutdown and log in to fix it.

Now i have tried many things like using a few different GPU drivers, Removing any OSD i have running, Adding POL to my GPU 3D settings to make performance changes, Turning G~Sync off.

I have tried to setup DG voodoo which i did have running for a time on my old pc, I can get it to load up but i have this flashing line down the left side of the screen that i cannot seem to fix.

Things i have not tried is a new install of FF11 using the pol downloads as i always install this game off disc to save the hassle of redoing spell lists and a new download of windower.

I'm curious if anyone is running either a new Ryzen system or an Nvidia 20 series GPU and is experiencing problems running FF11. New tech vs old game.

New games run fine without any problems it just seems FF11 struggling to run smooth. I have been playing FF11 for many years had a few system upgrades along the way but i have never had so many problems as of late.

System:
Motherboard X570 Taichi Bios Version 1.60
CPU Ryzen 3700X
RAM 2x 8gb DDR4 3600mhz
GPU RTX 2080
SSD Samsung 970 Evo 500gb

Black screen in La Theine Plateau

All text is missing and all i can see ids the auto translate brackets.

Running on DG voodoo with the flashing line down the left side of the screen
 Leviathan.Isiolia
Server: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2019-07-26 07:15:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been playing on a Ryzen 3700X system for about a week now, fresh install from the new installer, etc. No problems so far. In fact, the clean install seems to have fixed some issues I was having before.

I'm using dgVoodoo (just the most recent one off the site), but I did elect to just keep using my GTX 1080 rather than buy a new card just yet.
 Asura.Wormfeeder
By Asura.Wormfeeder 2019-07-26 07:24:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Lewyo, what type of system did you upgrade from? and did you do a clean install of window?
 Asura.Lewyo
By Asura.Lewyo 2019-07-26 07:56:53
Link | Quote | Reply

My old system was:
CPU: Haswell i7 4790k
Motherboard: Z97X- Gaming 7
Ram 16 GB Corsair vengeance
GPU: RTX 2080

Was a clean install of windows 10 pro.

Windower was a copy i backed up before i formatted my SSD.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2019-07-26 12:24:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I want to say that I have a NVDIA Geforce 750 Ti, one in my own desktop, and another in my Dad's system. For some reason, very randomly, I'll get a "rainbow checkboard" of doom error, and it's 99% because of FFXI. Like, if FFXI manages to crash and close, the system will stay on .. otherwise it requires a reset. This only happens on my own system, and never on my Dads (he plays FFXI more than me).

So with this happening for the past few years, I have chalked it up to two possible things:

1) the way my card is seated makes the connection very slightly loose, as in it's easy to pull the cable (which connects to the monitor) out .. which could be causing this random issue which only happens randomly with this game; newer games work perfectly fine.

2) My card has a slight error. The only way I could test this would be to switch mine and my Dad's cards around to see if this is the case, but I just never got around to it.

Either way, there's several reports of newer graphics cards having issues with this old game .. so if you can use an older card? I'd stick with it. Otherwise you gotta' just deal with it, or try a different card.
 Asura.Meliorah
user: DatGoose
By Asura.Meliorah 2019-07-26 12:44:43
Link | Quote | Reply

CPU: 6700k OC'd to 4.5
RAM: 32GB 3200mhz
GPU: GTX 1080ti FTW

0 issues with lock up or any odd video issues.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2019-07-26 14:24:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you running the steam version?
 Asura.Lewyo
By Asura.Lewyo 2019-07-26 16:42:01
Link | Quote | Reply

No the install i use is from the cd's/dvd's
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2019-07-26 16:49:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Try the new launcher its faster if your gonna reinstall

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Inspectorgadget
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Inspectorgadget 2019-07-26 17:37:47
Link | Quote | Reply

DirectX said: »
Bismarck.Nickeny said: »
Try the new launcher its faster if your gonna reinstall
Um.. for me and anyone else I talked to there is a MASSIVE pause between clicking to go into FFXI and the window actually launching. It feels a bit smoother before that but also game crashes now so uh, I dunno if it is a better installer.

yep, takes anywhere from 5 to a whopping 30 seconds for POL viewer to transition into FFXI during login, along with more frequent crashes I don't think it's worth it. It's not the Hard Drive either, I'm using one of the fastest SSD's out there.

Newer Nvidia cards have always had an issue with FFXI and crashing. The last card that ran the game without freezing/crashing at least once a day was a 560ti. It's something with how they handle older DirectX applications.

Post deleted by User.
By Jetackuu 2019-07-26 23:13:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Lewyo said: »
No the install i use is from the cd's/dvd's

Don't, just don't.
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-07-27 04:16:31
Link | Quote | Reply

using HD dats has caused the black screen issue for many players.
 Shiva.Mlrlohki
Server: Shiva
user: Mlrlohki
By Shiva.Mlrlohki 2019-07-27 05:06:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Just built a Ryzen 5 2600X with my old RX 380, clean install, working just fine here. No issues on my i7 w/RX 580 laptop either. Maybe it’s nvidia. (Shrug)
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-07-27 05:45:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Mlrlohki said: »
Just built a Ryzen 5 2600X with my old RX 380, clean install, working just fine here. No issues on my i7 w/RX 580 laptop either. Maybe it’s nvidia. (Shrug)
its not nvidia, mine runs perfectly on twin rtx 2080ti's, my old setup with twin gtx 1080's, and runs perfectly on my gtx 1080 ti desktop and laptop. Driver error possibly.
 Asura.Clickbait
user: clickbait
By Asura.Clickbait 2019-07-27 11:55:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Its not HD related. I've gotten them without any HD mods installed. Seems to be a Windower related issue actually as I've never had it happen with Ashita(Maybe I've been Lucky). It seems to happen more often when multiboxing.