Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Gym Life
Gym Life
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2019-07-27 12:25:37
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I've played FFXI for a long time can someone tell me where this gym is at ?

[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2019-07-27 13:23:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bro, whenever you can press your own weight, come back, otherwise, get gud scrub.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Vienner
By Asura.Vienner 2019-07-27 15:30:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I do squats every 2 days, do I post pics of my butt progress? (Its a joke... well the squat thing isnt, the rsst is. Dont get on your horses meanies!)
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-07-27 16:49:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Squats are good. I stopped doing those as consistently as I had before because I developed back trouble after I suffered a fall at home. But one of the better workouts for overall body development
 Fenrir.Testi
Server: Fenrir
user: testi
By Fenrir.Testi 2019-07-27 16:50:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I would suggest not doing Olympic lifts unless your competing and the same can be said for power lifting and strong man training.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Erupt
user: erupt
By Asura.Erupt 2019-07-27 22:49:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
Asura.Erupt said: »

Aside from programming and weight lifting I like rebuilding old woodworking machinery and building furniture. Got a full woodshop actually with machines from 1920 to 1970. Handtools predating 1900.

jealousy abounds.....I want a lathe at work so damn bad (for metal and wood use, light insdustrial vs. your use I'm sure) not to mention a drill press, both of which I'd wager you've got!

Got a giant powermatic pm90 and one floor drill press and one bench. The floor has a inverter on it to lower speed down. You can get ultra cheap machines if you just target 3phase machines and either throw inverters on them or get a RPC(Rotary phase converter) for your shop. The downfall of our woodshops being phased out of high schools is a great boon to hobbyists.
[+]
By fonewear 2019-07-28 07:54:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Apes said: »
Thoughts, Critiques? (Feel free to post your videos if you want)

YouTube Video Placeholder

This is the type of high quality content that makes FFXIAH the best website of all time.
[+]
VIP
By Lili 2019-07-28 08:37:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Apes said: »
Good catch, didn’t even notice the bar leaving the realm of tension. Hmmm, which body mechanic shows its lack of flexibility?

Also I’m sure this community has more versatility in life than that, as you just displayed. :)

Much appreciated.

You're welcome. All the other comments you got, especially the "hurr durr snatch be useless und dangerouse" illustrate my other point lol.

Lack of flexibility is not the main issue, but it's present as you never squat down enough to really catch the bar after the float.

My old coach used to explain the snatch as pop > float > dive > catch, I'm sure you can see why. In the first video, your pop is not bad at all, but then there's no dive, you accelerate the bar upwards as fast as you can (which also makes it leave your body) with your arms instead of your legs, and instead of diving you just bend your legs slowly. That slow bending is what shows lack of flexibility (or maybe better to say mobility). Basically you could say that the speed of your arm action and your leg action do not match - that's not to mention that there shouldn't be arm action at all, as I'm sure you know. Granted, the lack of weight makes it kinda difficult to receive proper feedback from the bar, but if you want to do empty bar drills then it's imperative that you mimick the actual bar path as much as you possibly can. Get a broom and move in super slow motion, after the pop your "empty bar" should stay fixed in space and you move around it, if it raises even half an inch after the pop is already exhausted then it's a sign yo're attempting to row the bar, which means you're going to fail the lift once you put on actual weight. The pulling motion in the actual lift is meant to pull your body under the bar, not to lift the bar further.

Your second video shows all of these issues, you can see your snatch turning into deadlift + jump + row.

The doctor prescribes:
- practice the dive: lots of broom drills where you go super slow and keep the bar fixed in space after the pop.
- practice the dive: find a smith machine, fix the bar at waist height (more or less), put a million pounds on it so it cannot move, and practice actively pulling yourself under the bar (start with the feet right under the bar and you kinda leaning backwards, hope it's clear)
- practice the squat: spend a million hours per day in the squat position. Srs, start playing ffxi in a squat or something.
- critical: get a RL coach if you're able to. Barring that, r/weightlifting used to have form check threads, see if they still do it.

Also:
https://www.allthingsgym.com/mobility101/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-usczgtDQc (and any other slow-motion video by Lu Xiaojun)

And pls no roids before you can snatch 1.3x bw at least.

Apologies if this sounds harsher than it should, I just woke up and englishing is hard.
By fonewear 2019-07-28 08:40:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't know everyone on FFXIAH were expert weight lifters...learn something new everyday.
[+]
 Asura.Biglovin
user: Monko
By Asura.Biglovin 2019-07-28 08:42:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't know everyone on FFXIAH were expert weight lifters...learn something new everyday.

It's been a well known fact for years. You can thank Tigerwoods.
By fonewear 2019-07-28 09:11:13
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
VIP
By Lili 2019-07-29 10:15:38
Link | Quote | Reply

It's all experience developed in years of carrying useless alliance members to victory. That was some serious weight to hoist everytime.
[+]
By Boshi 2019-07-29 12:47:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Testi said: »
I would suggest not doing Olympic lifts unless your competing and the same can be said for power lifting and strong man training.

power lifting is just normal lifting that weird people like to makes sound "powerful".

Squat, Bench, Deadlift are just very basic core lifts.
 Leviathan.Bowflex
user: Bowflex
By Leviathan.Bowflex 2019-07-29 13:45:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Or you could just do jiujitsu

Also I stopped doing deadlifts after watching this guy:

Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-07-29 13:50:43
Link | Quote | Reply

He's probably referring to the "Sport of Powerlifting and Strongman (like Olympic lifts), not the "power lifting" heavy weights. The technique and style of Squat, Bench and Deadlift in powerlifting is different from ordinary weight lifting

Unless you're specifically training for that sport in mind, like Bodybuilding, there is zero reason to train in that manner besides ego.
 Leviathan.Bowflex
user: Bowflex
By Leviathan.Bowflex 2019-07-29 13:56:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Just do jiujitsu

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Testi
By Fenrir.Testi 2019-07-30 00:18:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Boshi said: »
Fenrir.Testi said: »

power lifting is just normal lifting that weird people like to makes sound "powerful".

Squat, Bench, Deadlift are just very basic core lifts.

That's true and if you could only do 3 lifts those are the ones to do but why limit yourself?

My only argument against it or any other training program is it should be well rounded and sustainable so you don't wind up with muscle imbalances or worst injuries.
 Fenrir.Testi
By Fenrir.Testi 2019-07-30 00:23:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
He's probably referring to the "Sport of Powerlifting and Strongman (like Olympic lifts), not the "power lifting" heavy weights. The technique and style of Squat, Bench and Deadlift in powerlifting is different from ordinary weight lifting

Unless you're specifically training for that sport in mind, like Bodybuilding, there is zero reason to train in that manner besides ego.

Exactly.