(Divergence) Volte Armor
First Page 2 3
 Bahamut.Agerine
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Agerine
By Bahamut.Agerine 2019-04-27 00:21:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I have been wanting to talk about the usefulness of any or all of the Volte armor pieces from Dynamis Divergence. I am going to link the main BG page as well as post item sets below so that we can all take a good look at them.

Volte Armor Sets

Since Dynamis has been out for well over a year at this point and given the partial rarity of the items, I think it would be good for us to discuss which pieces are useful for which jobs and situations, which can be discarded, and the general feel for the drop rates and rarity.
I am hoping to have a decent conversation here about these armor sets and how viable they are in current state of the game.

To start off, I have NOT kept count of how many runs/drops I've done but if I had to guess, I have seen roughly 7-12 pieces drop since instance event went live, granted I have done a lot of different focused runs in dynamis and not always a full clear of Wave2 NMs. If I had to guess, they seem to me to have about a 5-10% drop rate... Id love to see some other numbers here.

On first glace these sets seems kinda standard. They have mid-grade accuracy type stats, capped haste and then break off into unique categories.

ItemSet 366391
Volte Doublet Set is high in Meva, Mdef, Int, Mnd, Chr, midrange Mab and has +1 Refresh...but the kicker is NO MP to fully utilize that refresh stat.

ItemSet 366392
Volte Harness Set has Decent HP, high STR, Dex, Agi, Mid to High in STP, half cap on Subtle Blow and Snapshot (idk ranged game)

ItemSet 366393
Volte Haubert Set has Decent HP, 30 PDT and 28 MDT, HIGH Meva and decent MDef, 18 Double Attack, 13 Regen. --- This seems like the SU3 Kenda Set, but for Pld, War, Drk. IMHO this is the most solid set.

ItemSet 366394
Volte Jupon Set is such a weird set and IDK what I think about it at all. It has high Meva and Mdef, Treasure Hunter, Resistance to all status ailments, and completely balanced Stats.

I play mage jobs, Rdm, Geo, Whm and Blu mainly. Out of those 20 pieces of unique armor I can only see myself wanting 1-2 specific pieces...Volte Tights and Harness and that is only to complete how I currently play RDM. The Haste on them works well with the Ayamno set to allow my to add STP to my Ambu cape.

What sorta sets are yall placing these pieces in? Outside of the Haubert Set I cant imagine that many of them are coveted... but I would love to see things differently...

How can the doublet set be used effectively? Does Rng/Cor really need the harness set or is it just a complete bust? IDK about certain aspects of this game.... Teach me and lets chat about Volte armor!
 Asura.Shiraj
Server: Asura
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-04-27 01:11:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally, I have been using Volte Cap over Turms Cap +1 for Rune, mainly in a pure M.eva, resist set, but I imagine it would be the same for Thf and Dnc too.

I also use the Volte Haubert on my War, Drk in a DT set as it is pretty damn good, serves as a hybrid option too. I only have them 2 drops so can't say much more about the other pieces and where they would fit in.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2019-04-27 01:18:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Shiraj said: »
Personally, I have been using Volte Cap over Turms Cap +1 for Rune, mainly in a pure M.eva, resist set, but I imagine it would be the same for Thf and Dnc too.

I also use the Volte Haubert on my War, Drk in a DT set as it is pretty damn good, serves as a hybrid option too. I only have them 2 drops so can't say much more about the other pieces and where they would fit in.

Turms cap+1 has more eva/meva/hp/def/vit/acc and has regain and regen, I don't see why you would use Volte cap over it. As far as we know, status ailment+ is a separate resist check than meva, and while it possibly stacks with the native RUN trait, pure Meva is still the better bet, and Turms+1 wins in so many other categories I don't see the point in Volte there.

As for OP, the jeuno set is good meva for a few jobs without good options, the heavy armor set is by far the best set of them all, and the Bastok set is off-spec pieces, like BRD attempting to DD, or THF attempting to ranged or something.

As is normal for SE gearing, the set is far too rare to really fit what it's good for, in that the volte mage set would be amazing for an ungeared mage, but what ungeared mages are clearing wave 2 Dynamis bosses often enough to get them? Aside from the heavy armor set, the Volte pieces fit better being a random trash drop even in wave 1, not locked behind wave 2 boss clears.
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-04-27 01:30:25
Link | Quote | Reply

It has +7 M.eva than Volte, that is literally nothing. Also, I've tried many different M.eva sets and Volte has came out on top over Turms Cap.

I play Rune literally 99.9% of my playtime and can tell when 1 change in gear can affect results a lot.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2019-04-27 01:59:00
Link | Quote | Reply

It has +7 M.eva than Volte, that is literally nothing. Also, I've tried many different M.eva sets and Volte has came out on top over Turms Cap.

I play Rune literally 99.9% of my playtime and can tell when 1 change in gear can affect results a lot.

And when I last read about it, the +status resist was out of 256. So 10/256 for Volte Cap, which is by no means make or break it in any scenario unless you're able to reach other gear to 200ish+/256. And since it should be a separate check from Meva, it's just a 4~% chance at a resist, I don't roll my dice on a rate at that value.

And with it you give up:

10 defense
37 HP
19 DEX
13 acc
regen+7
regain+5

Yeah...not seeing it being a make it great piece by any means. Some pieces of gear you can absolutely notice, and I don't see how Volte Cap is one of them.
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-04-27 02:02:56
Link | Quote | Reply

No point derailing thread anymore, if you think i'm wrong go test yourself.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2019-04-27 02:11:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure discussing the merits of a piece of Volte is the thread topic.

I don't think you're wrong, I'm pretty confident you're wrong. But hey, you're welcome to be, so you have fun with your weaker cap.
[+]
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-04-27 02:20:20
Link | Quote | Reply

lul
By SimonSes 2019-04-27 02:24:43
Link | Quote | Reply

He is wrong. He just got a rare piece and want to justify using it. Classic.

Also telling people "go test it yourself" about probably one of the most rare gear in game atm is simply trolling or stupid or being mean. Go test it yourself Shiraj and show us how it can affect results a lot. While i appriciate a lot of your comments Shiraj, you are one of this people who go total emo when someone start to throw logical argument at you. Sad.
[+]
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-04-27 02:31:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Not really. But I've played rune for a while. I notice changes in gear more than numbers show, although numbers mean a lot, so do results. When I get consistent results way more than before, from 1 little change it kind of shows.

I'm all about people who do numbers and ***from spreadsheets, but when I go out and test it, like actually test not just theorycraft, I know when something is up.
By SimonSes 2019-04-27 02:54:44
Link | Quote | Reply

So provide those results. There is super thin line between feeling something works because you are biased and want it to work because its rare gear and it actually working that good. If by results you mean just go by feel, then its not a real results and tests. I test a lot on top of using math and i know it takes time (tested crit on Tauret again recently for example) but then results are real not anecdotal bias.
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-04-27 02:58:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree, it looks biased because it is rare. But I used turms cap +1 for like 4 months, and the second I went to Volte Cap, I noticed more resists happening. I will definitely prove results soon over me just claiming it.
 Asura.Cicion
user: cicion
By Asura.Cicion 2019-04-27 03:21:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Since release the only interest i ever had in the sets where the Volte Harness pieces mostly only the body/hands. Its Rdms best Tp options and mabey Brds? Think hands and perhaps head and body are its best CDC pieces in some situations but i could be wrong.

Whole set could help Ullr Rdms land ranged attacks on some content, like if you really wanted to land demon arrow attack down on things. (Unless you need macc to proc additional effects for arrows and such idk) Or to land that Empyreal Arrows fusion property to multi step a SC with yourself.
By SimonSes 2019-04-27 03:28:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice looking forward to it, as I have feet and it would be a useful info for me.

I would like to go just slightly offtopic, but still with Volte in mind. This thread came in right moment for me, because 2 days ago I started planning how I can get Windurst Volte pieces. I want some of those pieces for DRK MEVA hybrid TP set. I triobox dynamis, but I only farm Wave 1 and only in Sandoria and Jeuno. Bg wiki says Volte can drop from Wave 1 NMs but every person I asked havent actually seen any drops from wave 1. Windurst looks kinda good for farming wave 2 NMs, because it has easy access to many red eye statues and afaik they only pop single NM from single statue on wave 2, but on the other hand NMs has doom which is not nice. Also probably the best trio to farm NMs for me would be THF, COR and BRD. COR would help with Wave 1 boss and one shot some statues to avoid links. I would use Trust tank for NMs and keep hate on him as much as possible with Trick Attack WS+SC and I would probably use BRD and THF to make SC with Mordant>Evisceration to kill NMs. Any suggestions?
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2019-04-27 03:55:17
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Nice looking forward to it, as I have feet and it would be a useful info for me.

I would like to go just slightly offtopic, but still with Volte in mind. This thread came in right moment for me, because 2 days ago I started planning how I can get Windurst Volte pieces. I want some of those pieces for DRK MEVA hybrid TP set. I triobox dynamis, but I only farm Wave 1 and only in Sandoria and Jeuno. Bg wiki says Volte can drop from Wave 1 NMs but every person I asked havent actually seen any drops from wave 1. Windurst looks kinda good for farming wave 2 NMs, because it has easy access to many red eye statues and afaik they only pop single NM from single statue on wave 2, but on the other hand NMs has doom which is not nice. Also probably the best trio to farm NMs for me would be THF, COR and BRD. COR would help with Wave 1 boss and one shot some statues to avoid links. I would use Trust tank for NMs and keep hate on him as much as possible with Trick Attack WS+SC and I would probably use BRD and THF to make SC with Mordant>Evisceration to kill NMs. Any suggestions?

Windy can instantly skip to the wave 1 boss, there are only 3-4 statues you NEED to clear before you can get to him. THF can evasion tank wave 1 boss, just accomplice the COR after a couple leaden salutes. Technically THF can evasion tank all of Dynamis, as I evasion tank the wave 2 boss and wave 3 mobs. Main issue you'll have is Doom, but it IS possible for it to miss, so if your trust WHM is having issues removing it, you can try THF/RUN and using a higher meva melee set and use dark carol + lux runes and just tank on THF.
[+]
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-04-27 03:59:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I've never seen any Volte from Wave 1, but seen a lot from Wave 2. I do believe Wave 2 mega boss has more drop rate, but it's very hard to tell, mostly just assuming from own experiences.

I've seen way more Volte drop from the wave 2 boss than other NMs, but that is personal anecdote so idk.
[+]
By SimonSes 2019-04-27 04:34:55
Link | Quote | Reply

That was my plan. Tank in 4/5 turms +1, /run and with one dark carol to avoid doom and ideally avoid most stuns from aoe.
By eliroo 2019-04-27 07:28:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't sleep on the volte juopon set. A few of the pieces are excellent for filling in Meva idle sets.

That being said the Harness set is probably overall the better set.

COR can make some use from the headpiece
And both RNG and COR can use the feet as either a main TP piece or a formidable accuracy swap.
BRD uses the Hands, legs and feet in their ideal TP set and I think that RDM wants a few of the pieces too.

I think anyone on the Haubert body probably wants it because its just a damn good idle piece/ DT swap for TP.
 Asura.Toralin
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2019-04-27 07:50:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I use volte gaiters as idle piece on RDM :)
[+]
 Sylph.Reain
Server: Sylph
user: dmregm
By Sylph.Reain 2019-04-27 09:49:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd concur the Windurst set is the best. I think it sucks that for PLD your best magic evasion set probably isn't realistically obtainable and is still hugely desirable for WAR and DRK. No magic evasion on Arke gear is lame. Windurst is also an awful huge zone and unlocks generally the worst weapon augments.

Bastok set has some nice pieces for BRD, hands, legs and feet in particular since ayanmo+2 doesn't get multi-attack or store tp in those slots.

Sandy set is good for jobs that don't get inyanga.

Jeuno set is interesting. It has 102 magic evasion on every piece. Which means head and hands are great options and leg and feet are a fairly large magic evasion loss for most jobs.

I like that bard can equip 15/20 pieces. They should add bard to the Volte Haubert set too!
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2019-04-27 11:43:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I consistently use the hands/legs from the Jupon set in my RNG, COR and THF meva sets. The prior two jobs don't get many options for meva outside of oshosi, but the overall stats on those two pieces, in particular those two slots I do enjoy. And since I only have NQ turms hands, I do like the bracers on thf as well. If I had HQ turms, I'd probably change my mind.

I also have the spats(feet) from the Harness set that I use in some of my RDM melee builds for the accuracy and (mostly) the STP. Not the BiS option, but works with my builds so I take advantage of 'em.

And of course town gear ;)
[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2019-04-27 11:49:42
Link | Quote | Reply

A bit on the Volte cap vs Turms+1 thing.

We already know enough about magic evasion and status resist+ gear to answer this without even testing anything. Even if the answer is the FFXI classic, ***is situational.

In terms for resisting status effects, this is 7 meva vs all status resist +10.

For those that don't know, status resist+ gear is a straight % chance to full resist, calculated before magic evasion. so that +10 is 10%, normally. The problem there is that the potency is nerfed by 50% on NMs. so we're looking at an effective 5% vs basically everything that matters. (reference: This thread contains some spectacular testing on the subject.)

Whereas 7 magic evasion is going to equate to 3.5% resist rate, or if your resist rate was above 50% already, it doubles, going to 7% resist rate. (reference: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Magic_Evasion

So we either have 1.5% advantage to Volte if your resist rate is below 50%, or a 2% lead for Turms+1 if resist rate was above 50%.

So, that's it for facts, I'm now descending into the swamp of opinions.

This is about RUN. So I would tend to think, but cannot prove with the data available, that you're going to be above 50% resist rate most of the time. Especially if you're gearing for meva in the first place.

With that in mind, and looking at the other stat advantages, I would be inclined to say that Turms+1 is the better piece overall. Turms also has an advantage for resisting magic dmg, as status resist+ wouldn't apply there.
[+]
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-04-27 12:14:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I did get around to testing both Turms Cap +1 and Volte Cape. However, it might not be to people's standard, but I didn't have much time, and this alone took 2 hours itself.

But I tested 150 samples of this per item. I am aware this is not directly accurate, but as I said, it's all I had time for and quickest test I could think of, not 100% accurate.

Dazzling Dolores in Reisenjima, iLevel 129.
Bad Breath 150 times. The exact same M.eva set was used. No food, No level ups counted as part of the test. No runes were used except Tenebrae to resist Charm once Dolores levelled up.

Volte Cap resisted all status ailments 99 times out of 150 times, resulting in a 66% resist rate with the M.eva set I used.

Turms Cap +1 resisted all status ailments 94 times out of 150.
Resulting in a 62.67% chance, but let's say 63% for rounding purpose.

I said at the top this is not the most accurate test, but it's all I had time for. the difference between these 2 gear is quite minimal. A bigger sample between the two definitely would've been better.
[+]
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-04-27 12:20:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I definitely would say the "big" difference I noticed was more than likely an example of the placebo effect. Both items are very similar, so I was a bit over the top on the difference, I will say.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Galiber
Server: Ragnarok
user: Galiber
By Ragnarok.Galiber 2019-04-27 12:32:03
Link | Quote | Reply

TL:DR

Haubert set is good step up from ambuscade sulevia stuff for DRK that doesn't wear Souve+1, and WAR if you don't need the HP.
TH set is nice for the TH on those slots if you don't have DM Augged Herc.

Honestly, that's all I've ever seen.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-04-27 12:36:10
Link | Quote | Reply

If you want to tell the difference between 66% and 63% from practical results, you're going to need at least 2-3k samples. The stats are all understood and the math is not that complicated, this is why nobody takes eyeballing seriously.

For example, when looking at NMs, the volte cap overtakes turms until you reach 30% resist rate.

30% + 3.5 = 33.5% resist rate
30% resist rate + (.7 * .05) = 33.5% resist rate

If you bump it up to 31%

31% + 3.5 = 34.5% resist rate
31% resist rate + (.69 * .05) = 34.45% resist rate

As your m.eva gets higher, the m.eva becomes better until you reach the point where you're wasting some of the m.eva near m.eva cap. So, Turms Cap +1 will have more resists from 30% to about 94.75% resist rate. Volte Cap will have more resists from 0 to 30% and from 94.75% to cap.

Against plain mobs, the threshold changes to about 60% to 94.5%.

TLDR; Volte cap will provide more resists in situations where you're at or close to floor, or at cap. Most middle ground will give Turms more resists.

Again, this illustrates why the 'test' is irrelevant. You're in the section of m.eva where Turms will outdo Volte according to both Martel and my models. But, due to small sample size your data still indicated otherwise. It isn't that it's 'not 100% accurate', it's that the margin of error using 150 samples for something like that is so much greater than the difference you're trying to identify that it's basically worthless.

That said, I still wouldn't ever use Volte Cap unless at m.eva floor(which doesn't really happen for RUN). The differences are minimal and Turms offers much more in terms of other benefits.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-04-27 12:41:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Side note to Martel: When comparing them, you need to consider that it's multiplicative. Resist traits occur prior to m.eva check and independantly, so 5% resist trait added to 95% m.eva is actually only bumping you to 95.25% overall resist chance. 5% resist trait on 10% m.eva is bumping you to 14.5%.

I also don't think it's ever been proven to even the slightest acceptable standard that 1 m.eva ever becomes a full 1% resist rate. If you have a test indicating that, I'd like to see it.
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-04-27 12:51:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I agree, my sample was too small, but I didn't have time to do it all manually. It took me 2 hours alone for 300 samples.
I'm willing to admit I was wrong, but I'm confused on how I felt such a difference though, even though it probably wasn't as big of one as it actually was.
By SimonSes 2019-04-27 12:54:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Galiber said: »
Haubert set is good step up from ambuscade sulevia stuff for DRK that doesn't wear Souve+1, and WAR if you don't need the HP.

Haubert set even ignoring PDT/MDT and DA, has also a tons of meva and there is really no alternative to this set for war drk and pld, so I would say that step up from sulevia is a bit of understatement.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-04-27 12:56:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm confused on how I felt such a difference though

This has to be said constantly in AMAN thread as well as many others, but humans are not good at estimation. The context of something like this is incredibly hard to eyeball, and you likely couldn't even tell the difference between 60% and 75% over a week each, much less 63% and 66%. That isn't a personal insult, I couldn't either.

We see what we want to see, it's just how it is.
[+]
First Page 2 3