We Are Adding Some New Major Content In 3 Years...

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » We are adding some new major content in 3 years...
We are adding some new major content in 3 years...
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
By abknight 2019-03-22 22:54:37
Link | Quote | Reply

If WoW Classic does well, they'll release legacy servers from various level caps. I'd quit my job to focus on a pre-RoZ 60 cap server.
[+]
Administrator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Idiot Boy 2019-03-23 19:57:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Cua said: »
Caerda said: »
You don't just move a game to a different engine. Programming doesn't work that way. It would cost millions to do it, FFXI doesn't bring in that type of revenue to make that happen.

Does ffxi even make a million a year? I've always been curious at the current sub rate. Maybe 10k subs a month? 14k?

Let's look at the absolute worst case math. According to https://www.ffxiah.com/database 91,613 characters sold things on the AH within the last month. To get those characters into the minimum number of accounts/subs, we assume that everyone has 15 mules and is selling things on all of them:

91,613 / 16 = 5726 accounts

Let's further assume that none of those accounts have the mog wardrobe, so it's $27.00/mo for the lot.

5726 * 27 = 154,602/mo or 1,855,224/yr. That is the bare minimum amount of revenue.

Last they told us, there are six full time staffers. Let's assume their salaries are massively above industry standard, and put their salaries+benefits at 200k/yr. 1,200,000 a year. That leaves over 600k+ a year for hosting/server maintenance/etc, which, if they're paying that, they have the worst colo contracts of all time.

Again, that's the worst possible scenario, with some ludicrous assumptions, and there's still no way to get this project in the red.
[+]
 Bahamut.Airoh
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Anjou
By Bahamut.Airoh 2019-03-23 20:28:07
Link | Quote | Reply

3 years is a lot of time. Maybe they are working on a graphics and UI update? FFXI has been left behind graphics and specs wise, to the point where it doesn't jive well with the most popular kind of modern graphics cards.

In order to breathe life into the game and actually welcome new players if they do decide to release new content, they would have to handle this issue as it would be a huge turnoff for anyone if they struggle to install/play this game on their modern gaming rigs.

It's easy for veterans to find wor -arounds and still love this game despite all this but I can't imagine a completely new player not being turned off or burnt out after some time...

Here's to hoping anyway.
 Bahamut.Airoh
Server: Bahamut
user: Anjou
By Bahamut.Airoh 2019-03-23 20:35:19
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't just move a game to a different engine. Programming doesn't work that way. It would cost millions to do it, FFXI doesn't bring in that type of revenue to make that happen.

Maybe it's not that far-fetched? We see a lot of crossover between the mobs, races, objects, etc. Maybe the skeleton is there and was built for the possibility of an FFXI upgrade?

Maybe FFXIV was just an experiment to make FFXI even better?(haha jk)
 Cua
By Cua 2019-03-24 01:14:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Idiot Boy said: »
+

Wow. I didn't know almost 100k characters interacted with selling on the AH last month. That's quite huge.

Now, 5 of those were mine, but still, I'm confident I'm above average for mules?

Regardless, it's great to hear that this game is still not only breathing, but growing.
[+]
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
Server: Asura
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2019-03-24 04:55:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Add on that there are people who keep their FFXI sub active even when they're not playing, and some that claim this as well (a la Ninja) so they're getting money without being counted on AH. I know at least a couple buddies who still pay their subs despite not playing for months on end.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Presidentobama
Server: Ragnarok
user: kasain
By Ragnarok.Presidentobama 2019-03-24 05:10:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »
Add on that there are people who keep their FFXI sub active even when they're not playing, and some that claim this as well (a la Ninja) so they're getting money without being counted on AH. I know at least a couple buddies who still pay their subs despite not playing for months on end.

Thats like me. I play every 3 to 6 months but keep sub active.

I must stimulate the economy.
By kasain 2019-03-24 05:27:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Cua said: »

Does ffxi even make a million a year? I've always been curious at the current sub rate. Maybe 10k subs a month? 14k?

Let's look at the absolute worst case math. According to https://www.ffxiah.com/database 91,613 characters sold things on the AH within the last month. To get those characters into the minimum number of accounts/subs, we assume that everyone has 15 mules and is selling things on all of them:

91,613 / 16 = 5726 accounts

Let's further assume that none of those accounts have the mog wardrobe, so it's $27.00/mo for the lot.

5726 * 27 = 154,602/mo or 1,855,224/yr. That is the bare minimum amount of revenue.

Last they told us, there are six full time staffers. Let's assume their salaries are massively above industry standard, and put their salaries+benefits at 200k/yr. 1,200,000 a year. That leaves over 600k+ a year for hosting/server maintenance/etc, which, if they're paying that, they have the worst colo contracts of all time.

Again, that's the worst possible scenario, with some ludicrous assumptions, and there's still no way to get this project in the red.

Except your clueless. You should never base usa or eu saleries upon asian countries or elsewhere. Truth is your money gets you much more outside the usa.
By Draylo 2019-03-24 06:06:00
Link | Quote | Reply

New expansion, new jobs
 Sylph.Cossack
Server: Sylph
user: sandman16
By Sylph.Cossack 2019-03-24 06:18:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Tenzen gets a sex change.
Administrator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Idiot Boy 2019-03-24 09:10:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Yep. My account's active for dat mining reasons, but I haven't played for real in a while. I'd keep it active even if I wasn't dat mining though, out of nostalgia.

kasain said: »
Except your clueless. You should never base usa or eu saleries upon asian countries or elsewhere. Truth is your money gets you much more outside the usa.

I mean, I explicitly stated that I was wildly overestimating salary and expenses to prove how big the margin of error was, so I'm not sure what your point here is. Cost for an employee is a lot more than just base salary; there's facility space, equipment, benefits, and other costs.
[+]
By fonewear 2019-03-24 09:17:37
Link | Quote | Reply

They should just hire whoever did most of the good stuff on windower. They already proved they are competent enough to program/code. It is kinda sad when the community fixes things that a giant multi national company ignore or doesn't fix...

Just pay out the windower thing slap an official SE property and they can say. See look what we built !
[+]
By nashred 2019-03-26 08:19:39
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
They should just hire whoever did most of the good stuff on windower. They already proved they are competent enough to program/code. It is kinda sad when the community fixes things that a giant multi national company ignore or doesn't fix...

Just pay out the windower thing slap an official SE property and they can say. See look what we built !

Isn't a couple of them running Eden server?
By volkom 2019-03-26 11:40:18
Link | Quote | Reply

tbh ~ i really want to see reworked versions of limbus and einherjar because I like the progressive dungeon idea.

also I want to see like a ilvl+ version of garrison so we can utilize some of those pretty looking zones for content instead of just being in reisen/mhaura/jeuno all day :|
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2019-03-26 12:14:58
Link | Quote | Reply

kasain said: »

Seriously...
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [158 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Vanisher
user: Robbins
By Asura.Vanisher 2019-08-31 15:11:14
Link | Quote | Reply

What can a team this size accomplish in three years? I'll base this on my gut, which is very credible...

It can't be just some extra storylines, quests or job adjustments. Or just adding additonal items. It has to be more than that, or something completely different.

The one thing that makes the most sense to a game after long past time, that also will continue to live on. Is to update the graphics and tech around the game. This is very common. The whole AOE series, the old C&c games, FFVII, old platformers, are being updated.

But the team can't build the game from scratch..? Nope. But they can use existing engine and tech from FFXIV. There are many similarities that derives from FFXI to FFXIV. So maybe they already have the tools to convert between the old and the new. So there are alot of content more less ready for use. It would be the easiest way for the FFXI team to do it. And it could mean that FFXI will use the same server technology as FFXIV as well. It's an oppurtunity waiting to happen.

Now since FFXI would run on FFXIV tech, SE would shut down the old servers, reducing the cost of the game. The new servers are being financially supportet by the FFXIV project. It could possibly reduce the subscription fee or make the game free to play. And the FFXI team would be reassigned to other tasks or join the FFXIV team. This could be the end of FFXI exclusive content or maybe reduced, but opens the door for additonal content that includes both FFXI and FFXIV.

It would only make sense to do this, in order to make the game live on. But in order to sustain the longevity of the game, they would want to attract new players, current players, and old players. So a classic server would make sense. And some new content on general basis would make sense as well.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Vanisher
By Asura.Vanisher 2019-08-31 17:04:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Can you put that in English please?
No, sorry. It would be impossible for you to understand.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Leviathan.Andret
Server: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2019-08-31 18:57:05
Link | Quote | Reply

They gonna recycle and reuse content until they go into retirement or we get ffxi-remasted for $69.99 running on Windows 14.
By Jetackuu 2019-08-31 23:51:35
Link | Quote | Reply

they have the worst colo contracts of all time

Fairly certain they host their own and don't colo.
 Valefor.Monkeynutz
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Monkeynutz 2019-09-01 03:06:39
Link | Quote | Reply

This is not just the very last thing they would do, it's a thing they would never do.

Updating the graphics and UI would be nice, but it would require an absurd amount of work for virtually no gain.
 Carbuncle.Arcksan
Server: Carbuncle
user: Pluton
By Carbuncle.Arcksan 2019-09-01 06:33:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't want a graphic update, don't wanna change my dear old computer. New content is all we need.. Even a small add on will be welcome
 Asura.Carrotchan
Leonardo da Clippi
By Asura.Carrotchan 2019-09-01 07:44:28
Link | Quote | Reply

If they make 11 look like 14, I'm out
[+]
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2019-09-01 07:56:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Carrotchan said: »

Bye Felicia.

XIV looks fine. The combat just isn't fun, but there's no way they'd remake the combat so...yeah.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Vanisher
By Asura.Vanisher 2019-09-01 14:23:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Carrotchan said: »

Bye Felicia.

XIV looks fine. The combat just isn't fun, but there's no way they'd remake the combat so...yeah.

I totaly agree. I play both games, and FFXIV is has booring combat. It's more or less like playing Diablo. FFXI has a much more tactical and low paced approach and it's brilliant. Turning the game into FFXIV with a different story is pointless.

Reasons for SE to update FFXI with the FFXIV engine:
It would expand the longevity of the game.
It would attract new players.
Easier to add new content by developers that knows the new engine.
Shared servers with FFXIV, would improve the game in many ways, and lower maintenance cost.

Fix the quirks involving limitations with the current engine.
It would allow for more storage and better storage management. No waiting time when engaging enemies, etc.

Better visuals and designs, some designs derives directly from FFXI already so SE probably has the tools to do that further.

I guess the list is long. This seems to make the most sense to me to spend 3 years on it, and celebrate the game.

Post deleted by User.