General Crafting Questions

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » General Crafting questions
General Crafting questions
Offline
Posts: 20
By Fribbit 2019-03-15 07:17:23
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Quick backstory, crafting is something I have always wanted to do, but never really got into in all my years playing FFXI. I leveled Cooking to the 40s or 50s on a mule once a couple years back, but that was about the extent of my crafting experience.

Recently I've been wanting to try it again, partially to make money, partially to be able to make gear for myself, and partially just because I want do it.

I've been looking at some crafting info and guides, but with all the new gear and stuff they added, there are some things I'm still a bit unclear on.

I was planning on leveling Smithing as my main craft. In terms of subcrafts, I see a lot of Goldmithing and Bonecraft involved with Smithing. Can I just take a couple crafts to 70 for subcrafts, or are just about all the other crafts involved with Smithing in some way? Honestly, I'm not interested in like hardcore, full-time crafting so if I can avoid having to level EVERYTHING to 70 before taking Smithing to max I would like to, but I also don't want to take a couple crafts to 70 and then max out Smithing and not be able to make anything.

Also, in terms of the crafting gear, should I bother getting the tourques/glasses/etc. on my subcrafts or are they not necessary on subcrafts?

Finally(apologies for all the questions), I'm seeing a lot about deleveling crafts on forums and stuff, but I can't seem to find a lot info about it. How do you delevel crafts and why would you? Is it necessary to crafting high-level recipes or something?

Apologies again for all the questions. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Offline
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Snprphnx
Posts: 2449
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2019-03-15 08:27:50
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Fribbit said: »
I was planning on leveling Smithing as my main craft. In terms of subcrafts, I see a lot of Goldmithing and Bonecraft involved with Smithing. Can I just take a couple crafts to 70 for subcrafts, or are just about all the other crafts involved with Smithing in some way? Honestly, I'm not interested in like hardcore, full-time crafting so if I can avoid having to level EVERYTHING to 70 before taking Smithing to max I would like to, but I also don't want to take a couple crafts to 70 and then max out Smithing and not be able to make anything.

Look at the recipes you want to make once you are max smithing, as well as the standard skillup recipes. Level up the ones you will need.

Quote:
Also, in terms of the crafting gear, should I bother getting the tourques/glasses/etc. on my subcrafts or are they not necessary on subcrafts?
Again, look at your recipes. If having goldsmithing specs will place you in the next HQ tier, then get them. Same for torques.

Quote:
Finally(apologies for all the questions), I'm seeing a lot about deleveling crafts on forums and stuff, but I can't seem to find a lot info about it. How do you delevel crafts and why would you? Is it necessary to crafting high-level recipes or something?

Apologies again for all the questions. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

You can level all crafts to 70. After that you get 40 additional skill levels to apply. you can opt to take 4 crafts to level 80, or a single to 110. if you take one craft to level 80, and another to 100, when you get a skillup to go to 100.1, your level 80 will delevel to 79.9.
 Bahamut.Dannyl
Offline
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: dannyl
Posts: 1453
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2019-03-15 08:40:29
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Gold, Leather, Cloth, and possibly woodworking are the primary subcrafts you should worry about under Smithing. Might be another, but thats for starters. Eventually you'll just cap them all cause they look nice and pretty when the number is blue
Offline
Posts: 20
By Fribbit 2019-03-15 09:23:47
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
Fribbit said: »
I was planning on leveling Smithing as my main craft. In terms of subcrafts, I see a lot of Goldmithing and Bonecraft involved with Smithing. Can I just take a couple crafts to 70 for subcrafts, or are just about all the other crafts involved with Smithing in some way? Honestly, I'm not interested in like hardcore, full-time crafting so if I can avoid having to level EVERYTHING to 70 before taking Smithing to max I would like to, but I also don't want to take a couple crafts to 70 and then max out Smithing and not be able to make anything.

Look at the recipes you want to make once you are max smithing, as well as the standard skillup recipes. Level up the ones you will need.

Quote:
Also, in terms of the crafting gear, should I bother getting the tourques/glasses/etc. on my subcrafts or are they not necessary on subcrafts?
Again, look at your recipes. If having goldsmithing specs will place you in the next HQ tier, then get them. Same for torques.

Quote:
Finally(apologies for all the questions), I'm seeing a lot about deleveling crafts on forums and stuff, but I can't seem to find a lot info about it. How do you delevel crafts and why would you? Is it necessary to crafting high-level recipes or something?

Apologies again for all the questions. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

You can level all crafts to 70. After that you get 40 additional skill levels to apply. you can opt to take 4 crafts to level 80, or a single to 110. if you take one craft to level 80, and another to 100, when you get a skillup to go to 100.1, your level 80 will delevel to 79.9.

OK, that all makes sense. And thank you for clarifying the deleveling. I thought once you distributed those 40 levels above level 70 you just stopped gaining skillups on level 70+ crafts. So that was where the confusion was coming in.


Bahamut.Dannyl said: »
Gold, Leather, Cloth, and possibly woodworking are the primary subcrafts you should worry about under Smithing. Might be another, but thats for starters. Eventually you'll just cap them all cause they look nice and pretty when the number is blue

Awesome! Thanks for this. I'll definitely start with those. And yeah, who knows. Maybe I'll wind up loving crafting so much that I just go ahead and get everything to 70, but for now this works.

Thanks a lot for the help guys!
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Offline
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Snprphnx
Posts: 2449
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2019-03-15 09:44:26
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Crafting is a ton easier now than years ago. skillup rates are better. theres food and gear to help skillup rates, and you can use recipes that are under your current level and still gain skillups.
Log in to post.