Best Low Man Job Sets?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » best low man job sets?
best low man job sets?
 Bismarck.Danz
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: danz
By Bismarck.Danz 2018-12-23 13:59:18
Link | Quote | Reply

so me and 2 friends just returned. and some of the later content. (job cards, Geas Fete etc. aren't easy for us. was wandering what would be the best 3 man group that can enter these.

2 of us have alt accounts so we can enter with 5 if the alts prove to be more usefull than trusts

iv been considering in leveling PLD just because the later content cannot be tanked very well with pet jobs. which is kind of what we have been relying on currently is my BST. any suggestions on job sets to get us rolling?
 Leviathan.Andret
Server: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2018-12-23 14:30:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Blu, Geo and Cor for most contents imo. Can probably go with a Whm instead of Cor on tougher fights.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
Server: Asura
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2018-12-23 14:35:54
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have up to 5 characters to work with I would do:

One alt GEO
one alt BRD
One player WHM (with eventual SCH option, maybe RDM as a DD option)
One player PLD (with heavy armor DD options, WAR, DRK, SAM, etc.)
One player RUN (with light armor DD options, THF, COR, etc.)

This can let you cover all bases, run with proper buffs, and gives you variety in jobs based on which content. I highly recommend only choosing 2~ jobs to start with per character. But once you hit mid-tier content you'll have a lot of overlap between jobs so it'll make gearing up additional jobs a lot quicker if you stick with certain types of armor.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2018-12-23 14:37:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Danz said: »
job cards, Geas Fete etc

they'll be easier once you have your jobs mastered... until then (with the leveled up trusts) you can do

two blms and a cor -dyna
two smns and a geo -geas fate
two smns and a pup -omen mids
any three jobs -omen card farm

or try shouting
 Bismarck.Danz
By Bismarck.Danz 2018-12-23 14:40:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Andret said: »
Blu, Geo and Cor for most contents imo. Can probably go with a Whm instead of Cor on tougher fights.

i just don't see how blu can tank some of this content...
 Bismarck.Danz
By Bismarck.Danz 2018-12-23 14:41:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
job cards, Geas Fete etc

they'll be easier once you have your jobs mastered... until then (with the leveled up trusts) you can do

two blms and a cor -dyna

or try shouting

they ever change that crap to where you can get more than 1-2 cards per RL day?
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2018-12-23 14:46:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
job cards, Geas Fete etc

two blms and a cor -dyna

or try shouting

they ever change that crap to where you can get more than 1-2 cards per RL day?

A proper boss run is 2-3 cards, a card only run is 3-5 cards, iirc. Based on number of objectives you're able to complete.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2018-12-23 15:08:16
Link | Quote | Reply

...and based on leftover points you had from previous runs!
By Afania 2018-12-23 15:09:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Just use trusts to tank. Also a well geared blu can solo some of content you mentioned, such as gin neak etc.
 Bismarck.Danz
By Bismarck.Danz 2018-12-23 15:19:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »

Just use trusts to tank. Also a well geared blu can solo some of content you mentioned, such as gin neak etc.

the whole idea is we don't have gear. we are returning players. so we need 3 jobs that can be geared by mid game means. pretty much not much more than 119 reforge, and since ambuscade is out of the question for this month... blah...
[+]
By Afania 2018-12-23 15:27:51
Link | Quote | Reply

the whole idea is we don't have gear. we are returning players. so we need 3 jobs that can be geared by mid game means. pretty much not much more than 119 reforge, and since ambuscade is out of the question for this month... blah...

That's why I mentioned trust tank. And even if blu is tanking
geo + Cor debuffs can add a big chunk defensive ability to whoever on the front line. Wilt/fade/gallant/runiest/magus makes noticeable difference. Add mg and occu blu should be damn near unkillable for things you currently need gear for.

Then if you have extra alt, add 2nd geo for frailty torpor to kill faster.

There is a reason why these jobs are mentioned.
 Bismarck.Danz
By Bismarck.Danz 2018-12-23 15:30:33
Link | Quote | Reply

geo + Cor debuffs can add a big chunk defensive ability to whoever on the front line. Wilt/fade/gallant/runiest/magus makes noticeable difference. Add mg and occu blu should be damn near unkillable for things you currently need gear for. There is a reason why these jobs are mentioned.

even with trust tanks when i was on my BST which is my best geared job. i still got spanked by a T1 Geas Fete NM...
By Afania 2018-12-23 15:36:33
Link | Quote | Reply

geo + Cor debuffs can add a big chunk defensive ability to whoever on the front line. Wilt/fade/gallant/runiest/magus makes noticeable difference. Add mg and occu blu should be damn near unkillable for things you currently need gear for. There is a reason why these jobs are mentioned.

even with trust tanks when i was on my BST which is my best geared job. i still got spanked by a T1 Geas Fete NM...

Blu should be more defensive than a bst and did you use buffs that I mentioned? Defensive buffs make gigantic difference in ffxi.
 Bismarck.Danz
By Bismarck.Danz 2018-12-23 15:48:06
Link | Quote | Reply

i brought my

Blu should be more defensive than a bst and did you use buffs that I mentioned? Defensive buffs make gigantic difference in ffxi.

i brought my geo alt account and had geo wilt/ indi barrior up. however she recently got geo and has no upgraded reforged stuff. just basic gear.
By Afania 2018-12-23 15:58:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Which NM was that? Wilt or fade is NM dependant. Physical attack - will do nothing against NM with strong magic attack.
 Lakshmi.Elidyr
Server: Lakshmi
user: elii
By Lakshmi.Elidyr 2018-12-23 17:11:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I started with 3, and have tried pretty much everything. Depending on your skill level with playing alts, starting out BLU will be an amazing asset. RUN, will not benefit as well as PLD early on, but once you have RUN heavily geared it brings a lot to the table. GEO almost always. if I had to choose between COR and BRD, I would probably say BRD, but COR can also do amazing damage and help with a ton of gimmicks mobs have through out escha zones. I also hate to say it but even a gimp WHM goes a long way compared to trust... Its not even a good comparison unless going for more of a ranged strategy.

A lot of my early on 3 boxing was SCH RUN GEO, and it worked because I didnt pull hate, and trust only healed one person.

If I had to choose 5 now, PLD BLU WHM GEO BRD/COR.

However using BLU over other DPS, you can probably get away with out needing BRD since it has great haste capability solo. BLU is just so easily geared, and has great utility and survivability.

What ladyofhonor said is pretty close to the route I went, but my RUN was also my PLD.

BLU very easily can tank a lot of things. Especially if sanguine is effective. Easily heals for full HP, plus cocoon and occult. Now that I have Tiz/Alma I can even spam white wind to help with heals and MP goes nowhere. Ive done some omen bosses as backup tank on BLU for gimmicks with no problem.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2018-12-23 19:20:34
Link | Quote | Reply

then you need to get AAEV trust, level up the trusts, join yoran oran unity for a decent whm and cleave dragons in escha zitah like you never cleaved before for cp for you and your friends.

turn on the dragons and puk pages in ROE

Blu should be more defensive than a bst

blu with no gear though.. idk
By Taint 2018-12-23 19:24:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Elflegolas did it well and by the end was farming his own Aeonics with just his accounts.

Started with his main, REMA SMN,SAM,BLU,COR,NIN,MNK mains.
Then he added a COR/THF mule and a GEO mule. This allowed him to do most mid level content, AC burning as needed.

He then added two more Nirvana SMN mules, which gave him more ACs to burn, speeding up his gear/gil farm process.

Then he added a Yag WHM and Aegis PLD so he could do most anything efficiently.

For his PLD he then added Tiz/Almace to compliment his BLU for full time Mighty Guard.

He made one of his SMN mules REMA BRD for added flexibility.

Before his quit he could farm anything he wanted. With 3 dedicated friends you could easily mimic him.
 Leviathan.Andret
Server: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2018-12-23 19:43:36
Link | Quote | Reply

You can't trio everything. Blu is there because it's probably the best low man DD that can also tank. You can get a lot of accuracy from Blu traits and you really need those before you get better gear. Let August or Amchuchu be the main tank with Yoran playing healer and you can probably kill most low man stuff.

You need to climb SE ladder. You can't just jump in and trio everything with spark gear.

Start with ambu gear if you don't have anything. You need a full party and the setup changes every month. Other than whm, every job seems to get it's own month. Cor and Geo are popular. Blu make fairly good DD when everyone have little buff and no gear.

Then farm JP once you get some gear. It's sort of more important than everything else. Blu and Cor seems to be the fastest even with AH gear.

So basically, farm ambu for gear and gil and cap jp before doing anything else. You can farm some cards as you get the +1 ambu gear and weapons for +2 but you probably need a lot more gear to low man bosses for +3. With ambu gear, you can probably trio most of the lower level NM with August tank.

The other option is to get 2 Smn and a Cor. You can kill some stuff but Smn aren't very common in ambu. Unless you each have extra characters and more jobs then probably not recommended starting out as Smn.
 Asura.Baroma
user: baroma
By Asura.Baroma 2018-12-23 19:50:04
Link | Quote | Reply

You can spam ambu VE this month with nin or /nin without much difficulty. I don’t bother with kiting. Just kill boss.
 Valefor.Yandaime
Server: Valefor
user: Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2018-12-23 20:18:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »

One alt GEO
one alt BRD

Honestly, I feel like BRD doesn't get it's real shine until you have Daurdabla 99 and Gjallahorn 99 and maxed in gear. Like honestly.. I'd rather use a 2nd GEO or a Rolls-Only COR (Mule) depending on the strat.

That's merely my opinion but I'm looking at this song list and it doesn't look like BRD brings very much at all to the table except an extra source of Haste, Light-Based Sleep and Dispel until you have it MAXED. The Acc and Attack buffs are pretty weak compared to a Dunna GEO And then the songs wear off every 4 minutes which would be annoying as all hell I feel like.

Or am I missing something?
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2018-12-23 20:41:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Yandaime said: »
Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »

One alt GEO
one alt BRD

Honestly, I feel like BRD doesn't get it's real shine until you have Daurdabla 99 and Gjallahorn 99 and maxed in gear. Like honestly.. I'd rather use a 2nd GEO or a Rolls-Only COR (Mule) depending on the strat.

That's merely my opinion but I'm looking at this song list and it doesn't look like BRD brings very much at all to the table except an extra source of Haste, Light-Based Sleep and Dispel until you have it MAXED. The Acc and Attack buffs are pretty weak compared to a Dunna GEO And then the songs wear off every 4 minutes which would be annoying as all hell I feel like.

Or am I missing something?

Nope. But you will only be able to complete really early endgame with that setup. Eventually you will get BRD to catch up and surpass Geo once it's properly setup. Not a bad idea to double Geo it but on the overall probably better to just spend the time working on BRD and not worrying about Geo on an alt just as an early game stepping stool in this scenario.
By Autocast 2018-12-23 21:51:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Not to hijack someone else's thread but also looking for job advice in a similar situation, as inventory is a legitimate concern in this game I'm trying to focus on a few jobs per char to keep me more "focused" and not all over the place.

At the moment I have:

Main - Run(lionheart, almost done with epeo), BLU (non rema atm)
Alt1 - Idris geo, blu (non rema, mainly use for cleaving)
Alt2 - brd, just started but max rema is the goal.

I play with a friend who has two chars:

Main - Sam (preferred job), Smn (preferred job), Pld (aegis but doesn't enjoy playing it)
Alt1 - Whm

Friend is pretty set in the jobs his main has and what his mule will be, goal is to properly gear all used jobs, including rema and what not.

My question is from people who play with similar compositions is if I'm going in the right direction in terms of versatility of content the group will be capable of.

I'm thinking the brd mule should have Sch and at least roll only Cor on it as well.

I can't really think of a situation I wouldn't want the idris geo there, so that alt seems stuck on geo and doesn't really need anything else.

As for my main, I cant decide if it is worth pursuing Blu further than it currently is, as the only real use I have for it is cleaving and its already pretty well off for that or if I should bother working on a heavier DD on it as with the above buffs run kind of accomplishes for a lot of things.

Was thinking it could probably make use of a Cor or Rng though, with friend on paladin (pld, whm, geo, brd, cor or rng) for a situation that requires a ranged setup?

Just looking for any thoughts from others who play with similar numbers/boxes as to what they find useful and not so useful.
 Asura.Darkkaze
user: Darcc
By Asura.Darkkaze 2018-12-24 01:16:45
Link | Quote | Reply

You can clear just about everything with this set up

SMN
SMN
PUP
GEO
COR

Barrier to entry on these jobs isn't terrible, for a roll cor you're looking at a 100k ring and some merits. Pup once you have the attachments is relatively cheap to gear. Geo just needs 900 skill. Smns don t require HQ gear but it helps.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2018-12-24 07:11:29
Link | Quote | Reply

How many JP do you have?

Which T1 NM's are you talking about? Zi'tah? Ru'aun? or Reisenjima?

Bst can solo everything in Zi'tah, All t1 and t2's in Ru'aun, and most t1 and t2 in Reisenjima.

Trust tanks and (unity) whm are pretty good for most content also.

I wouuld add a bst to the pet party setup listed w/ pup, smn 2, cor geo

that party can tackle almost everything, but you NEED high jp on pet jobs and you NEED to make proper gear sets. you can make sets even when you dont' have best in slot.

Pet jobs get alot off pet stat buffs between 1200 and 2100 jp. First you want to fill out your basic sets, then get your JP to 2100. Then hunt and farm down individual gear to fill out your sets.