New option for sinister reign
First Page 2 3
 Odin.Drakenv
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-10-04 09:11:57
Link | Quote | Reply

For people that still do sinister reign.

How does everyone feel about this? They finally did an option to choose the NM you’d like to do but does have a chance of not dropping anything? But if items do drop you have a chance at it being HQ quality? I guess if you want a chance at drops constant I gues do the regular option? I’m on the fence.

Second on the list is Sinister Reign. Many of you have voiced frustration that enemies are chosen randomly, so we’ve decided to answer the call and add a route where you can choose your own foes. That said, we needed it to coexist with the existing system, so we’ve set up a trade-off: while you’ll be able to choose your foes in the new system, there’s a chance you may not reap any spoils. With the traditional route, in return for the downside of having foes selected randomly, you’re guaranteed to earn items for your victory. Furthermore, in the new route where you can choose your own foes, there’s a higher that the items you earn will be of higher quality. We encourage you to weigh the options and choose the route that’s right for you.
[+]
 Shiva.Francisco
Server: Shiva
user: Francisco
By Shiva.Francisco 2018-10-04 09:22:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess if you want "everything", or need the Trust Ciphers, it'll be best to go with the original method.

If you're doing SR because you really want perfect Samnuha Tights or something, then it might be best to go with the newer process.
[+]
 Bahamut.Agerine
Server: Bahamut
user: Agerine
By Bahamut.Agerine 2018-10-04 09:36:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea I mean. Getting no drops is just the same to me as getting ***rolls for days. This is an nice change and I welcome it.
[+]
By Zeota 2018-10-04 09:44:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Ingrid > Teodor > Arciela for days!
[+]
 Asura.Topace
Server: Asura
user: Topace
By Asura.Topace 2018-10-04 09:46:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Zeota said: »
Ingrid > Teodor > Arciela for days!
!

Give me my capped Malevonces.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-10-04 10:06:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Agerine said: »
Yea I mean. Getting no drops is just the same to me as getting ***rolls for days. This is an nice change and I welcome it.

Yes and no. You can use some of the partially capped augment items, like Malevolence. I know I do for RNG. You can also trade them back to AMAN Reclaimer for 60% of a copper voucher! Lol.

I'm going to say this change is welcome...BUT, I totally see this being a very unfavorable RandomNumberGenerator event, just like the first iteration traditional route.

In the standard waves method, you have a chance to see the NM you want, and then a chance for that NM to drop the item you want, and then a chance for that item to be capped. That's a lot of probability to get what you want. The only thing they did with this change was take out the first "chance", but then added a clause of:

[IF path 2 THEN NM POP(/%chance of potential NO spoils) + %HQ grade item]

Basically, they substituted one probability with another probability, the possible outcome of never seeing an item at all, but increased stats when you do. The chance of gear spoils on route 2 would have to be something equal rate as the first SR route (seeing an item of choice, 33%~ or so), otherwise nobody would do path 1. So it might end up being something stupid like 25% of seeing spoils, and THEN you still need it to be the item you want, and THEN it needs to be capped.

This is a finesse job entirely. They just re-organized the order of chance to give you better different odds. its still RNG at the end of the day. I don't think this path is any different, just better odds at zeroing in on what you want, but with the possibility of not getting anything (aka wasting bayld). At least in standard route, you do get some gil sellables or some stuff you can convert.
[+]
 Bahamut.Agerine
Server: Bahamut
user: Agerine
By Bahamut.Agerine 2018-10-04 10:14:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Copper voucher farming is real. Adoulin content is good for it.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2018-10-04 10:50:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Buuki said:
stuff

You just like to ***- let the *** update come then go on your tirade
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-10-04 10:54:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Just look at the numbers. If the chance of getting no item is 66.6% or lower, you're no worse off than the old method for a specific item. Realistically, I would expect the 'no item' to be roughly 50%, which is a substantial increase in chance at a goal reward and a substantial decrease in variance.

Stop being negative and see how it actually works. It would be pointless for them to introduce a new targeted path without increasing the chance at targeted drops.
 Asura.Elazar
user: Elazar1
By Asura.Elazar 2018-10-04 10:56:29
Link | Quote | Reply

It’s pretty much a waste a of bayld anyhow if you don’t get the nm you want,and most people will just warp out if they don’t get the no they want,and does anyone really care about copper vouchers these days. So I’m ok with it.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2018-10-04 10:58:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Warping out's kinda silly when the fight's only 4 minutes.
[+]
 Asura.Elazar
By Asura.Elazar 2018-10-04 11:00:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Not when you don’t need hardly a damn thing from it, and have so much bayld anywayz and saves time
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-10-04 11:09:37
Link | Quote | Reply

History has shown that expectations should be kept as low as possible, so that excitement levels can go up upon release. This is a monthly thing for nearly every enhancement/adjustment. It's RNG at the end of the day. Just with a caveat of being able to narrow down your rewards to the boss(es) in question. The trade-off being no reward at all.

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
It would be pointless for them to introduce a new targeted path without increasing the chance at targeted drops.

Of course it increases targeted drops...YOU pick the boss, so you throw out that randomness initially, but you get it right back when you introduce the possibility of "no loot". It's not about being negative, it's just about being realistic. I'm not complaining about it because it will allow you to absolutely guarantee you will get the item you want...eventually. But them adding the possibility of no loot also adds an additional variance that, if flubbed (lolSE), it is simply RNG being masked behind more RNG, while giving the illusion of increase. Kind of like how Oseem will give you similar augments using all 3 stones, with one stone targetting a specific stat (and potential for increased stats using a particular one). Using one stone over another is just ~RNG~. Same concept here.
By tonic316 2018-10-04 11:10:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea except you can get a material worth gil for 4 mins. You're an idiot it you warp out.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-10-04 11:12:55
Link | Quote | Reply

almost anything can be called RNG, throwing that *** into every post you make doesn't make it a more meaningful point

until you see how it was changed, it's fair to assume you will have a significantly larger chance at the specified drop as you are trading away some loot quantity to be able to do so

unless you actually have numbers to use, ~RNG~ is a meaningless boogyman meant to make your post sound like it has substance instead of just being seen as the whining it is
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-10-04 11:24:22
Link | Quote | Reply

It's just trading RNG for RNG.

If you had a 30% chance of getting the right mob and a 5% chance of getting capped item, now you'll have a 100% chance of correct mob, and 10% chance of capped item.

It's better over all odds. But they're going to spam it for days so the congestion won't be worth it.

Chance of getting nothing with higher odds of perfect > current system.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-10-04 11:24:59
Link | Quote | Reply

The update is giving players the peace of mind knowing they are farming their boss of choice, with the chance at capped gear looming eventually. Never seeing Ingrid (or any boss in general) in 15 runs is a huge part of the frustration for SR. I don't know about the "significantly larger" assumption.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-10-04 11:26:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Going from 1% to 2% is SIGNIFICANT in squares eyes, so I think it's an accurate statement...
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-10-04 11:32:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I did say the change was welcome in my first opening sentence about it, but you already know you're going to get people asking "which path is better for getting gear?"

In reality, both paths serve a vital purpose. A player just starting out or has no SR gear can do traditional path and rack up on gear, whether it's capped or not. I've been on several runs with players who took everything Balamor gave them. That's good for them. The new route, however, serves to better satisfied players who have been at the event for years and have only a handful of left items to get, but they've been unlucky to get the (1) NM they want (2) item they want and (3) capped augs.

This new path looks like an option for long-time SRers who just want to finish up getting that last capped Ochu or Malevolence, but it'll reward you with a possible goose egg in return for your troubles. That's not necessarily a bad thing, since you only wanted one thing anyways. But the whole "significant increase" thing is being stretched a bit. I think its a path with a targeted audience which may alleviate the frustration part.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-10-04 11:35:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Going from 1% to 2% is SIGNIFICANT in squares eyes, so I think it's an accurate statement...

Going from 1% to 2% should be SIGNIFICANT to anyone, it's straight up doubling the rate.

Getting the correct boss guaranteed is already tripling the rate at one section. If they half the chance of drop at another, you're going from:

1/3 NM * 1/5 correct drop * 1/10~ capped = ~1/150 piece
to
100% NM * 1/2 gear drop * 1/5 correct drop * 1/10 capped = ~1/100 piece

before even looking at the increase in quality of piece.

Without knowing the #s you can't say what it is, but it's foolish to assume it's not significant. Just because the drops aren't falling from the sky doesn't mean it isn't a huge boost to the current system.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-10-04 11:41:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Edit, beat, lol

Everyone should default to new path, because the items that aren't taming/dampening/ochu/tights/malevolence are totally worthless (assuming you can still get trust if you so chose to pick that enemy with new path)
 Asura.Elazar
By Asura.Elazar 2018-10-04 11:47:03
Link | Quote | Reply

tonic316 said: »
Yea except you can get a material worth gil for 4 mins. You're an idiot it you warp out.
Yeah because I really need gil, for the maybe %1 chance of getting a mat, what’s worth more then 5k
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-10-04 12:03:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh, if the group is good, it's more effort to equip rings x6 and warp out and come back than it is to just kill Sajjaka

Unless, you're warping out @ Darcullin because you specifically want Ingrid.

IE if you already killed wave 1 and 2 just kill wave 3. But warping out at wave 1 makes sense.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-10-04 12:07:27
Link | Quote | Reply

More than half of those items in SR are very good. A player who has none of them (new/returning) would be best on traditional path because any items they get would be improvements to what they might have. 3/5 of founder is pretty good. Leyline is easy FC. Samnuha Coat is very good. Amm Greaves are easy to acquire DT and HP swap sets. Even Lilitu is a cheap WSD piece that is still okay. You get the point.

Both paths serve a purpose.
[+]
 Asura.Elazar
By Asura.Elazar 2018-10-04 12:13:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh, if the group is good, it's more effort to equip rings x6 and warp out and come back than it is to just kill Sajjaka

Unless, you're warping out @ Darcullin because you specifically want Ingrid.

IE if you already killed wave 1 and 2 just kill wave 3. But warping out at wave 1 makes sense.
Yup just warping out if no Ingrid
 Asura.Lunafreya
user: Lunafreya
By Asura.Lunafreya 2018-10-04 12:21:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Someone already mentioned it....Ingrid > Teo > Arci and repeat repeat repeat. Unless the drop rate for the new version is absolutely horrendous, its 100x better than doing SR for hours and hours and seeing wave 3 Arci a hand full of times and have her drop yet another pair of perfect enticer's pants or the same crap Sari you already have....

I can't keep track of how many Darc > Rosu > August runs I have done.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-10-04 12:23:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Lunafreya said: »
Someone already mentioned it....Ingrid > Teo > Arci and

wait 20 minutes due to congestion repeat wait 20 minutes due to congestion repeat wait 20 minutes due to congestion repeat wait 20 minutes due to congestion repeat.
 Asura.Lunafreya
user: Lunafreya
By Asura.Lunafreya 2018-10-04 12:24:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Lunafreya said: »
Someone already mentioned it....Ingrid > Teo > Arci and repeat wait 20 minutes due to congestion repeat wait 20 minutes due to congestion repeat.

Yeaaaaa.....that zone congestion is going to be awful the first week of update.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-10-04 12:26:15
Link | Quote | Reply

We could all just collectively agree not to spam the *** zone the week of the update...

It's not that important

I physically can't laugh hard enough at the idea that would ever actually happen though.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-10-04 12:30:49
Link | Quote | Reply

[Asura problem] Yeah...nope. Will see ambuscade lines the first two weeks.
[+]
First Page 2 3