Forum » FFXI » General » FFXI mention in an interview with Naoki Yoshida
FFXI mention in an interview with Naoki Yoshida
 Bismarck.Indigla
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Indigla
By Bismarck.Indigla 2018-09-17 14:27:47
Link | Quote | Reply

There was a mention about Final Fantasy XI in a recent interview on dualshockers some of you might find interesting.

https://www.dualshockers.com/final-fantasy-xiv-interview-yoshida-soken/

The relevant bit:
Quote:
G: I’m guessing that Final Fantasy XI is drawing closer to the end of its life cycle. Are you thinking, when the time to close Final Fantasy XI comes, of ways to draw its remaining players into Final Fantasy XIV?

NY: Being in charge of Business Division 5, XI is still part of my group. I can tell you right now that it’s still going strong, and there are no plans to end it any time soon.

This year we have a lot of patches and a lot of plans. We’re going to talk about it in the coming months, even if it’s not a new expansion.

Yet, the team and the Producers want to liven up the project, so you’re gonna see the results in the next few months of work within the team as well as the PR teams. You’ll feel that the game is still going strong.

If and when, maybe even ten years in the future, Final Fantasy XI finally ends, then yes, we’d be completely open to doing some kind of promotion for those players. Maybe if they move to XIV we could give them a free year of subscription or something like that.

With that being said, we don’t want to force those players to move on to XIV. They’re completely different games, so it has to be their decision.

The memories players have of Vana’diel are memories of Vana’diel. And it’s because it’s Vana’diel that those memories are so strong. We’ll do everything in our power to keep the servers open for the players. It’s important for us.
[+]
By Justuas 2018-09-17 14:42:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I like when ppl have the conception of ffxi being close to shutdown etc. without any sources.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-09-17 14:48:39
Link | Quote | Reply

People want it to die so the "this game is dead" crowd can finally have their projections confirmed, seven years later. Willing to bet the question was asked by a "FFXI is dead" promoter.
[+]
 Asura.Solacia
Server: Asura
user: Ica
By Asura.Solacia 2018-09-17 14:54:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Rather dismissive question by the interviewer. Glad Yoshi-P shut it down.
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2018-09-17 14:56:08
Link | Quote | Reply

This was refreshing to read. Thanks!
[+]
By Warukyure 2018-09-17 15:14:22
Link | Quote | Reply

That feels pretty PR-y. There's nothing solid, I feel like until this question was recently asked he probably didn't care about XI except for the fact that it's stuck on his BD unit.

He's probably doing more important things like doing random stream with his buddy Soken there.

As for shutting this down, its not up to him, its up to the guys higher up.

If he really was committed to promoting both this and XIV, I'd at least like to see him do a Live Letter-esque stream even LIGHTLY going over what he wants to do with XI.
 Asura.Naueue
user: Keali
By Asura.Naueue 2018-09-18 04:27:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Yoshi-P isn't part of the FFXI team though. Just because it's part of his BD, doesn't mean he has anything else to do with it. He could just weigh in because he sees that it still makes money. He's not listed on the wiki entry for important peeps at least.

As for live letters. FFXI has their own live letters. They might not be called live letters though, but I see them stream from time to time.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FINALFANTASYXI/featured
Live Vanadiel is still alive and kicking!

I'm pretty happy to read that Yoshi-P answers this politely. I know he's frustrated with some very vocal XI players who keep nagging him to implement stuff from XI at times. He keeps his calm very well.
And to hear he feels the game will continue is nice of him, because it will-- as long as it makes that sweet cash! Most of all though, I appreciate that he states the players are different, and ergo want different things.

Thanks for sharing the link.^^
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2018-09-18 04:30:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Naueue said: »
Yoshi-P isn't part of the FFXI team though.

He is the final say on XI, but almost certainly leaves it up to Matsui as a general rule, but he still gets a say in the direction of the game. I'll ask my friend(s) who worked at SE for a more specific breakdown of Yoshi P and FFXI tomorrow. I know they've both spoken of/to him, but then the community team is the same between XI and XIV so that isn't really saying much.

Edit: Talked to Camate-

Quote:
he definitely has a hand in some of the decision making from what i know but i honestly have no idea how any of the flow goes
By Feanorsof 2018-09-18 15:27:13
Link | Quote | Reply

As it was mentioned, as long as the game continues to make the $$$ then they will continue to release content at the rate it has been over the last few years.

The man power to run a game is the most expensive aspect and with this skeleton crew we have, it would probably continue making money way into the future.
I've also seen quite a few returning players lately, many from FFXIV where boredom sets in between patches.

I personally don't think there is a game out there to replace FFXI, there is nothing like it and so people will continue to be drawn to it.
By Justuas 2018-09-18 15:30:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Feanorsof said: »
I personally don't think there is a game out there to replace FFXI, there is nothing like it and so people will continue to be drawn to it.
There's been talk about Pantheon (and the ffxi mobile version) but who knows how it will go when it's released.
 Asura.Ryson
user: ryson
By Asura.Ryson 2018-09-18 15:37:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I still don't know how everyone doesn't play ffxi ... this game is dope af ... 12+ years and still going strong ... they hate us because they anus.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Skulloneix
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Skulloneix 2018-09-18 15:49:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ryson said: »
... they hate us because they anus
I laughed harder than I should have reading that. Ohhh man that was good....

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.