Does Playing FFXI Take Skill?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Does playing FFXI take skill?
Does playing FFXI take skill?
First Page 2 3 4 5
By missdivine 2018-08-17 16:17:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Everyone bots and even my mom has a REMA weapon/master jobs, just need a few real bucks and you're done. I did all endgame content with just tons of bots and multi-box players leeching cards from omen and everything they can in order to gear up accounts for real cash. It requires no skill, but windower and a few other tricks. Endgame content has no challenging mechanics you just have to figure out what jobs to bring and stand on a single spot while a tanker just afk / having a whm bot for na/cure spells. Everything is easier now.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2018-08-18 19:55:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Bahamut.Aquatic said: »
Try tanking an omen boss with an unskilled and unprepared healer.
o.O

That's what they make Turms Mittens for. BRD main heal ftw!
[+]
 Valefor.Yandaime
Server: Valefor
user: Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2018-08-19 03:26:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Skill -- the ability to do something well; expertise.
I feel like people see the word "Skill" and think of something like a Master Blacksmith working a Forge or something lol.

Given how many weaker/dumber/unprepared players there are in this game, and how hilariously superior the stronger players are in comparison to them, I'd say there has to be *Something* that can be equated to a Skillset for this game.

Physical Skillsets? Not likely. This game isn't terribly demanding outside of reaction time and being able to move and cycle macros simultaneously.

Mental Skillsets? I would say yes.
This game greatly favors the meticulous and that should mean something. There's lots of players that just "Get on and make do stuff" and play their respective jobs for years and literally never learn it's Core Mechanics. And then there are players that "Actually Care?" and learn it inside and out, prep gear-sets and fine-tune it. Quantifiably, that's pretty skillful.

Bear in mind, this forum might not be the best place to ask this question. The reason being that most of us here on this forum are very likely to be placed as skillful, otherwise why would we be here discussing our thoughts in the first place? So this question can easily be lost amongst advanced players and therefore dismissed.

Obviously the skills you need for this game aren't hard, but when I think about it, I honestly cant think of literally any skills in life that are genuinely hard. You take some time learning the thing you want to do, you practice and research and in time you have it mastered. It's mostly your body learning the activity I feel like.
[+]
 Asura.Byrne
Server: Asura
By Asura.Byrne 2018-08-19 03:39:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree with Yandaime. Mastery of this game is more an act of mental preparation, and learning to weigh multiple factors of a situation. That, and copious amounts of meth math.

Many of the players who have been playing for years will have a very large advantage, because we've played under many different "metas" and paradigms. It allows them to quickly recall information that was discovered during a different "meta" and put it to use quickly. This allows them to defeat all content in a more timely fashion, and because of that, it opens the doors to things like mercenary work, and perfecting your gearsets (not just improving; perfecting).

The reason FFXI feels hard compared to some other MMOs is that the learning curve is more of a learning cliff. It is astonishingly easy to fail something repeatedly in this game if you don't understand certain things work (like how damage is calculated, what attack cap is, how DT works, how haste works etc.) Once you make it past that, the actual mechanical skill required is negligible. Acquire the knowledge, some gear, (and some friends) and you'll go far.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2018-08-19 05:44:02
Link | Quote | Reply

DirectX said: »
You're both saying that knowing things makes you a skilled player though. I can know many things from learning them, but putting them into practice is what I am sure we all generally consider to be the skill in the context of playing video games.

Valefor.Yandaime said: »
I honestly cant think of literally any skills in life that are genuinely hard.
It's not so much about being hard as it is that you could teach more people to play FFXI at end game than you could teach people to do a quadruple backflip on a snowboard, for example.

Well that example you used literally cannot be taught to anyone lol. Shaun White can literally be your personal instructor and all he'll be able to do for you is give you some "Tips to Not Die" and after that, all you can do is practice lol
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2018-08-19 06:34:28
Link | Quote | Reply

You're both saying that knowing things makes you a skilled player though. I can know many things from learning them, but putting them into practice is what I am sure we all generally consider to be the skill in the context of playing video games.

Valefor.Yandaime said: »
I honestly cant think of literally any skills in life that are genuinely hard.
It's not so much about being hard as it is that you could teach more people to play FFXI at end game than you could teach people to do a quadruple backflip on a snowboard, for example.

If this is a hard definition of what you mean by skill, then no. This game requires very little skill. That should not be confused with saying the game is easy, however. (unless of course you simply conduit burn everything)

The question itself is a bit silly when phrased this way though. Of course playing a video game (especially an MMO) is not difficult in the same way as doing a quadruple backflip, but they shouldn't be viewed as being part of the same progression.

After all, someone capable of doing a quadruple backflip will not suddenly be able to program in lua and do rough calculus in their head simply because they can spin really fast backward in the air. The kind of skill you seem to be referring to seems to be a strange thing to even expect to find in a game designed to run on a 56k connection.

If you were to equate it to say, Overwatch; DPS players require more of this "Skill" but someone in masters doing only tank/support is still employing a different variety of "Skill". It's not tactile feedback and muscle memory, but knowledge and discipline is a different kind of skill. FFXI has the latter, but not the former. (except some small amount for tanks, making sure not to get hit while casting or whatever)

The reason there is some misunderstanding is because of the equivocation, skill does not have only one interpretation.

The angle of whether or not more people can be taught to do one thing or another seems to be a bit fatuous, depending on how you view it, as some things that are considered "Skill" are really talent, it's something someone is born with. Does performing a slam dunk require "Skill" as much as it requires a certain height? Well, the height is somewhat of a disqualifying factor in that case. In the case of a quadruple backflip, fitness and your sense of balance would be the qualifiers. In FFXI, it's your memory and acumen for mathematics and progression that are the determining factors. The word skill itself starts to become meaningless when muddied this way.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2018-08-19 06:53:04
Link | Quote | Reply

kireek said: »
Opening a tin of beans is a skill others lack, using chopsticks is a skill others lack, turning on a microwave to cook your food is a skill others lack. "Skills" are abilities you learn, so yes FFXI and almost every game takes "skill" and every player needs to be "skilled" to play.

If you're asking if ffxi takes talent where one player of equal knowledge and practice can play significantly better than another then yes of course. Back in the HNM days this was really obvious, there was always a tank or healer that was better than all the others and was incredibly dependable no matter what happened.

Most will die if they are fighting something powerful and the unexpected happens, top tier players can very often take a catastrophic and unexpected occurrence in their stride and still struggle out a win. You used to see this all the time back in the HNM days because failure (just wipe and recover) was simply not an option, someone else would steal claim.

Back in the day on Dark Ixion I saw a group almost fully wipe and only the ranger remained alive, the ranger used all the skills and gear they had to stay alive until the entire group recovered. They used /nin blink tanking with minimal haste, knowledge of its TP attacks to avoid kill moves (cone on lance etc to circle and not run in a straight line) using shadowbind to get into a kiting position at a wall instead of just blowing it pointlessly, knowing the HNM had move speed so letting it get close enough to trigger tp moves so you can get precious seconds on your shadow timers and then knowing how to react to the moves it would use etc.

This was a HNM they camped for 4-5 hours, this single ranger kept their cool and did something incredibly difficult and they kept claim for 5 minutes alone until the tank ran in and grabbed it, which is an eternity for an NM with move speed and devastating tp moves. Vast majority of HNM players would of failed at this.

I've also seen things like an almost total wipe at Tiamat where only the tank and an rdm were left alive and multiple ads were in play, where everyone had to home point and return (and that was a slow run back). The red mage went all out avesta mode, keeping the tank alive and buffed while controlling multiple VT antlions and corses. The amount of things he had to keep track of, keeping his cool while knowing there was no tryover if he messed up was crazy.

It's far less obvious these days as I said because the consequences for failing are far less but yes ffxi does take skill and talent as a player but it is job dependent. Two players who both put 100 hours into the game and are equally practiced can perform totally differently and one can win while the other fails.

I agree with this, to an extent. Consider though, knowing to kite in a circle, knowing not to waste shadowbind. knowing when it's safe to use utsusami. Motor skills were always required, but even they are heavily dependent on knowledge, and in this game, the player who is more clever generally performs better.

Sorry to bring up overwatch again; but there's a meme in the community called "Just click on their heads". The absurdity is obvious in this because everyone knows that's what you're supposed to do but knowing that doesn't make it any easier to do. Kiting on the other hand, if you know the range and interval of certain moves, and how fast a specific mob moves, and you know your surroundings, it does not take a professional-level performer to make it work, it takes knowledge.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Arislan
Server: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2018-08-19 07:22:57
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Bahamut.Tychefm
Server: Bahamut
user: Lyramion
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2018-08-19 07:24:51
Link | Quote | Reply

After playing 14 for a bit a part of my brain died compared to playing 11.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Immortalmoon
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Immortalmoon 2018-08-19 07:35:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Arislan said: »
an knowing is half the battle!!!
[+]
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2018-08-19 07:45:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Byrne said: »
That should not be confused with saying the game is easy, however

Of what is left in this game and the point of it (really it's getting more/better gear once you reach the end) then you don't need mad skills at all. A party of semi-competent people can do Ambu D each month or any omen boss.
Even Dynamis D now I have messed with it in PuG is not anywhere near as hard as I expected. Had we had more competent DDs (I was parsing 35% damage with 6 DDs present) and only used Savage Blade/Reso/whatever on the boss to avoid skillchains and hence only needed to kill the 2 fetters on the shortest path (Jeuno) then I think we could have cleared it in a PuG.

You don't need skill to win at this game, gear, patience and for most people excessive use of scripting which you can download freely will get you by. The "better" players might get stuff done a bit faster but that doesn't make them skilled, generally just geared better and using more automation.

You seem to have misunderstood the entire point of what I said :|

I was saying knowledge was key. In fact I prattled on about that for quite a long time, even if you only skimmed you would have noticed. Drop someone on your character who has never played before; have them sit in front of your computer and play the game. How much do you think they would get done? It's a little different than "Shoot those dudes with the red outline".

Anyone that answers this way shows they haven't helped out any noobs (or even casuals) in a very long time. You'd be acutely aware of how much knowledge this game requires.
[+]

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Arislan
Server: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2018-08-19 08:58:36
Link | Quote | Reply

The game, as it was designed, and if played as intended, requires skill. There are some nice vids of JPs soloing NMs on vanilla, playing the in-game macro bar like a piano.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-08-19 09:03:56
Link | Quote | Reply

as intended

Windower.(ashita) /thread
By Afania 2018-08-19 09:11:34
Link | Quote | Reply

People arguing pages about what "skills" are. "If it's easy then it doesn't require skill". "If you cant teach them then it's not skill".

In reality that's not how we normally define skill irl though. Microsoft word is easy to learn, and we put them on resume as "skill".

Quote:
"The "better" players might get stuff done a bit faster but that doesn't make them skilled, generally just geared better and using more automation."

From my experience, The "better" players in this game isn't THAT MUCH better geared than those who doesn't get stuff done fast, nor "more automation". The amount of well geared people with HQ/REMA/SU3-5 and use lua is incredibly high these days, it's not terribly hard to run into a player with REMA/HQ/SU3-5. But not all has the ability to beat the hardest content in game, and not all has the ability to keep up in terms of indiviual performance in pt.

So yeah, there's certainly something beyond gears and scripts. I would say the ability to clear hard content are 50% social skill unless you 6+ box.

The game, as it was designed, and if played as intended, requires skill. There are some nice vids of JPs soloing NMs on vanilla, playing the in-game macro bar like a piano.

If lua actually has THAT MUCH impact to performance, we would see all lua player parse within 5% in the same gears.

That isn't the case at all.

If someone rely on scripts/automation to out perform everyone, they also need to script toggles that react to certain TP move, such as "if NM use evasion boost, equip mid acc set" kind of rule.

At that point I would argue it requires knowledge to pull it off, and as previous discussions point out, knowledge is part of skill because I'm not aware in English the term "skill" only indicates reflex. At least that's not how we use the term irl on our resume.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-08-19 09:17:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
If lua actually has THAT MUCH impact to performance, we would see all lua player parse within 5% in the same gears.

Players will never consistently parse within "%"

Too much luck involved. Laziness. Apathy. "don't need to try that hard" Everything that skill isn't.
By Afania 2018-08-19 09:20:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »

Players will never consistently parse within "%"

Too much luck involved. Laziness. Apathy. "don't need to try that hard"

5% is a reasonable variation between 2 scripted robots playing FFXI, it shouldn't be bigger than 10% if no human error factored in.

Laziness/"don't need to try that hard" is within the discussion of "if you automate then ffxi doesn't require skill". Since the entire point of scripting is to eliminate lazy/mistakes.

If laziness still affects player performance using scripts, then I would argue that skill does matters, even for windower players.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-08-19 09:21:42
Link | Quote | Reply

5% is a reasonable variation between 2 scripted robots playing FFXI, it shouldn't be bigger than 10% if no human error factored in.

Even 5% is high if no major external factors influence it(one scripted melee dying through no fault of it's own while the other lives).
[+]
By Afania 2018-08-19 09:27:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »

Even 5% is high if no major external factors influence it(one scripted melee dying through no fault of it's own while the other lives).

I see. I just set 5% because I was under the impression that certain WS like resolution, CDC or fotia proc still affects % gap quite a bit in shorter fights.

I think that getting anything in the game takes only playtime and patience but getting to top ranking in FPS is hard and takes skill. Mostly because of PC vs NPC and PC vs PC. Every fight in FFXI is basically the same each time.

The game is easy because FFXI doesn't lock not-serious player out of content. So most casual players can accomplish reasonable amount of things in game and feel they did something and stay subbed.

But do things better than other PC like world first on hardest content like Master Trial, or winning every single parse as DPS, or solo NM that others can't is not easy.

In a sense FFXI still has PC v.s PC elements in it and it can be challenging to excel, just that majority of players don't bother.
 Bahamut.Malothar
Server: Bahamut
user: Malithar
By Bahamut.Malothar 2018-08-19 11:39:59
Link | Quote | Reply

The game is easy because FFXI doesn't lock not-serious player out of content.

On the topic of skill vs other sayings, would it be more apt to say rather than skill, there's a breaking point between serious and not serious players? Cause we sure did make Omen look hard last night, and I don't think it was for lack of skill, but for lack of give-a-***by half the group.
By Afania 2018-08-19 13:07:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Omen and some modern ffxi content (usually ambuscade) design has gimmicks that will cause wipe if one person make one mistake, similar to FF14. So it will "look hard" if something go wrong. Even 6 extremely vet player could wipe if they make mistakes on something crutial.

But the content has pretty low dps check and tons of time. In ambu you could even HP and reset. So it's easy to recover from 1 mistake. In that case, it's not extremely difficult (From geriond or DirectX pov) nor they lock not serious player out of such content.

That's probably what DirectX mean by "Omen is easy". Very few group has 100% clean run with zero *** up after tons of omen/ambu. But most player with appropriate gear level and avg reflex should be able to get a win at least. Even if they *** up at one point.

My pov of skill is more like indiviual player excel at something, such as pt coordination, reflex, know how to react in specific situation better than other etc.
 Valefor.Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2018-08-19 13:07:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Malothar said: »
The game is easy because FFXI doesn't lock not-serious player out of content.

On the topic of skill vs other sayings, would it be more apt to say rather than skill, there's a breaking point between serious and not serious players? Cause we sure did make Omen look hard last night, and I don't think it was for lack of skill, but for lack of give-a-***by half the group.

As I stated earlier, this is pretty much the truth. It could very well be a lack of motivation that causes it but between two players of the same gear caliber, if one of them is Meticulous and the other is Meh, the Meticulous one is going to Molest the other player in terms of performance.

Perfect example that most of us can relate to:
RMEA just got their AGIII Upgrades and a lot of weapons that were only "Okay at Best" suddenly became Godly. Obviously you didn't endure the massive grind to have one in the first place whereas a disturbingly large number of players that did are just... Not good at the game.

Honestly, how many times did you destroy someone in a party who had an AGIII and max gear with yourself having Normal Weapons and not quite maxed but damn good gear on? I know a lot of us have been in a situation where we we sat there and thought "Damn, I'd do so much better than that guy if I had that weapon". That's a sheer difference in skill, my friends. It just might not seem like it because a lot of our "Cherries" have been popped for a very long time now already.

It's just like if you're playing a Twitch-FPS like CoD. We all know it's not as simple as "Run here, Aim and Shoot that guy before he run and shoot you" because you die so ridiculously fast in that game you have to understand a lot of factors before you actually get good at it. Eventually, something *Clicks* and you suddenly start to gain a sense of how the enemy teams like to move around, or when the spawns are about to flip, etc etc. Prior to this, your performance is exceptionally poor but once it comes through, everything feels like its second nature.

So I say again,
Physical Skill? Very Little
Mental Skill? Moderate to High with emphasis on Meticulous Nature. The BEST players being quite high in this particular faculty.

Hope that satisfies the OP because, I'm not sure how else to approach the topic lol
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-08-19 13:08:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Malothar said: »
I don't think it was for lack of skill, but for lack of give-a-***by half the group.

Yarp.
It's impossible to "be good" it's VERY possible to "be bad"

All you have to do is be "not bad" to accomplish any and every.

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Laziness. Apathy. "don't need to try that hard" Everything that skill isn't.
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2018-08-19 14:39:46
Link | Quote | Reply

From my experience, The "better" players in this game isn't THAT MUCH better geared than those who doesn't get stuff done fast, nor "more automation". The amount of well geared people with HQ/REMA/SU3-5 and use lua is incredibly high these days, it's not terribly hard to run into a player with REMA/HQ/SU3-5. But not all has the ability to beat the hardest content in game, and not all has the ability to keep up in terms of indiviual performance in pt.

So yeah, there's certainly something beyond gears and scripts. I would say the ability to clear hard content are 50% social skill unless you 6+ box.

EXACTLY!

This problem has been around since this game started, and has existed in many other RPG's before this. Just because you HAVE the gear doesn't mean you have the faintest clue how to use it properly. How many bad tanks have you seen that "have their REMA's". I've met a REMA bard that didn't know what dummy songs were for. I've met a RUN DD that had Ergon AND Aeonic that didn't even know why job ability haste was important and always subbed WAR on RUN because they "Needed provoke".

If these guys think it's "easy", it's either the dunning-krueger effect running wild, or they've simply forgotten what it's like to be around people that aren't in your tightly-knit elite group.