Solo Meritpo?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Beast Master » solo meritpo?
solo meritpo?
 Fenrir.Phatstackodax
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Phatstackodax 2009-10-07 08:22:45
Link | Quote | Reply

ok, so i've been 75 for about 2 weeks. i've been campaigning nonstop for merits and such, but i have such a long way to go... is there any camp that can solo/duo merits even half as fast as a 2xbrd cor bird pt? i'm thinking not however i'm interested to hear if ppl merited bst with their other jobs or actually obtained merits as bst.
 Remora.Ninian
Server: Remora
user: Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-07 08:27:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I know my reply probably isn't that helpful, and it's probably not what you want to hear, but your best bet might be leveling BRD, etc, to *** out merits with. Maybe soloing/duoing in the capped CoP areas (Phomina... etc) might be decent EXP. I see BSTs there all the time whenever I go.
[+]
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-10-07 08:28:20
Link | Quote | Reply

BLU can do decent (8-10k/hr I think) exp soloing Imps in Caedarva Mire.

I am sure BST can solo 8k/hr some where, but don't ask me where.

Other than that... No.

And I am afraid none of your jobs are likely to get invites to a real meritpo (maybe could get an arrow burn on birds, but they aren't as good as a real TP burn).
 Fenrir.Phatstackodax
By Fenrir.Phatstackodax 2009-10-07 08:32:21
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah i know. i solo on blu about 8k/hour on imps. and rng doesn't get invites very fast ; ;. i'm really just asking about bst
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-10-07 08:33:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah, well no idea then. :)
 Odin.Aramina
Server: Odin
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2009-10-07 08:36:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I just hit BST 72, and went to sky for the first time. At 72, with Emperor Band and FoV Page 2 (8 Pot + 3 Doll), I was able to make 15k in about 2 hours.

A BST duo at 75 should be a lot more effective at killing Groundskeepers, which will net a lot better EXP than Sprinklers, and Page 3 is 11 Dolls. The EXP/Gil from Page 2 is 1500/1500/150 Tabs.

Just factor the FoV into your EXP/Hr considerations if you are thinking about it for meritting. Honestly, at 1500 EXP for 11 Mobs on the list (which chain EXP anyway), that's 136 EXP extra per mob on the list.

I'm not sure about other EXP camps for BST at this level, since I was grinding FoV in Terrigan from 65-72 and just moved up to Sky. I know that some of the ToAU camps in the 60s are pretty juicy EXP, so if you already have your 75, maybe look for either another BST, or someone that can Duo with you while your pet tanks, at a lower level, and sync down...
 Fairy.Vegetto
Server: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-07 08:43:11
Link | Quote | Reply

No way you're going to solo even half of what a decent merit pt can put out, sorry :(
[+]
 Fenrir.Phatstackodax
By Fenrir.Phatstackodax 2009-10-07 08:43:24
Link | Quote | Reply

i might just see if i can find some lvl68 syncer and go back to the leech camp @ the woodlands. that was tasty exp. yeah and i've been doing FoV in sky and valley for a while. kills just aren't as fast as i would like. looks like i'm going to have to finish drg for fast merits lol
 Odin.Aramina
By Odin.Aramina 2009-10-08 08:41:22
Link | Quote | Reply

FoV in Terrigan is probably best exp/time, honestly.

If you can snag a pretty strong Raptor or Pugil, you can pretty much tear through page 1 without ever swapping pets.

Then, you can recharm it and Stay/Regen it to full and repeat. Tripling up the FoV is the way to go for Terrigan (while burning EXP band).

Basically, flag FoV there before you log the day before, log in, and complete that FoV, then flag one for the current day, then get another once day changes. If you have it timed right, you can complete 3 FoV pages (3900 exp alone) in under 30 minutes + the EXP for the 24 mobs you killed (at BST 73, still over 100 per mob with exp ring).

I have more than one character, so I can flag it and log out Aramina, then go do other stuff on Darkmoose until it's time for FoV. Definitely makes for efficient use of time.

As for Sky, I was duoing last night with another BST 72 and we both stayed until we dinged 73. At 72, we were able to kill an average of 20-24 Groundskeepers per hour, factoring in Page 3 (11 Dolls).

It is highly dependent on whether they Meltdown or not, but later on we got a bit more aggressive with meleeing and running like hell if we saw legs go up. That sped things up on the ones that didn't want to suicide.

Either way, it wasn't "fast" merits or EXP, but it was pretty decent for BST alone or with another BST. With EXP ring, first kill was still over 200 and chain 5 was pushing 350-400. Chain 4 was a given, Chain 5 somewhat dependent on a well-timed pull and possibly a Meltdown.

One thing you CAN do, is go BST/NIN and sync to parties in the 55-63 range on Lesser and NQ Colibri. A well geared BST with Funguar jug will outperform most DD in those levels. I know that I was only trailing behind a RNG when I was partying on Colibri in the low 60s.

Unfortunately, their very high magic resistance usually means that Dark Spore and Silence Gas are mostly nullified, but Spore lands well and when DS or SG goes unresisted at pet full HP, you're looking at 400-600 damage. Funguar caps at 65 (not counting Beast Affinity), so it works very well at that range. Just food for thought...
 Pandemonium.Yov
Server: Pandemonium
user: poff
By Pandemonium.Yov 2009-10-08 09:20:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Try to duo/trio bombs in Vunkerl Inlet [S] sync at Lv 62-68? not sure of the level range , a friend smn told me she had really easy and good exp on those.
She was able to #5 often, an avarange of 9-12k/h because those selfdestruction very fast.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-10-08 09:40:37
Link | Quote | Reply

SMN can do Djinn slightly better (to a degree) than BST, in my opinion anyway. Shock Spikes or Ice Spikes will count as elemental damage, and on Thunder/Iceday, give the mob 100% TP immediately. I've heard of BST/RDM doing it also, but I can't really comment on how effective it is.

BST would be able to spam the mob with TP fast, but I dunno if pet would hold hate or whatever. (My BST is 13 >_> Go me!)
 Odin.Aramina
By Odin.Aramina 2009-10-08 10:24:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Most times any charmed pet DC or higher will hold hate off the Beastmaster fairly easily except if either the BST drops a big WS or the pet takes a massive amount of damage.

If you expect you will need to swap, it's best to not do anything as the BST until after the swap, since you don't want any residual enmity on you, and you want the mob to take hate on the new pet after one attack. When BSTs fail at this, you see then running away while the new pet chips away at the prey until it can get hate.

With Bombs, Goblins, Dolls you need to focus primarly on getting the mob TP and not getting caught in the explosion. One of the benefits to suicidal prey is that you can use DC-EM pets on VT-IT prey and make sweet EXP, but your pets will get torn up fast, so always knowing where a backup pet can be grabbed is helpful for those times when the prey just doesn't want to use its suicide move.

SMN has a benefit on this because they make their own pet, where BST can have one all lined up, only to have someone come along and claim it (happens with the Flamingos in Sky when people are bored or DRGs are in the area). Because of this, most BST have a tendency to not want to party anywhere near where people might be found.
 Hades.Mmakk
Server: Hades
user: Mmakk
By Hades.Mmakk 2009-10-15 17:01:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I try to mix it up for camps as much as I can, or I get sick of areas. I'm also constantly looking for new areas; or mix farming into the picture and leave merits as my second priority to help not watch the exp/hour and just wait for the dings.

A few camps I use:

Aydeewa Subterrane There are 2 diremite rooms a short run from eachother. Not great exp but the thread drops sell decently.

Mount Z. If you have the clothcraft to synth cocoons you can walk away with a decent pile of silk thread by using clots/erucas vs. erucas.

B. Tree The goobbues really like to drop cuttings, and wisteria lumber NPCs for over 6k each. The korrigan vs. goobbue camps are often busy though, but I found a decent camp further in. If you follow the tunnels past the Beet Leafhopper ??? (Detonator wsnm) There is a room with a handfull of goobbue and crawlers everywhere. You have to take more care of aggro in this area though.

As Aramina stated, doing page 2 and 3 in sky is pretty decent. Especially when dolls meltdown soon in the fight you can get decent chains. The area where you come in is often busy, and when not, people usually show up and camp on top of you, sometimes doing page one which means they kill all your pets. Across the 'doll hall' is often un-used, or you can just hop to a different island which few people do. There's a book in front of each bcnm entrance, so you can just hop to those from other islands instead of running back to the entrance.

Bibiki bay is decent too. On the bird island you can convert the 2 rarab to EM, then pull Cato's with birds and finish with rarabs. This way if you accidently kill/despawn one, you don't have to break your chain, there's another rarab. I used this camp to cap all my weapons that bst can skill lol. There is a spot further in, kills are kind of slow but exp is great. 3 rarabs grouped together in an area where hobgoblins don't wander. Rarabs have always been dc-em when there. The goblins and cato's range from T-VT 200-300 exp (no ring) isn't too bad for a solo BST. Blaggers drop Air Tanks which sell ok.

I haven't tried out any of the WotG camps yet.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-15 17:07:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Hitetsu said:
SMN can do Djinn slightly better (to a degree) than BST, in my opinion anyway. Shock Spikes or Ice Spikes will count as elemental damage, and on Thunder/Iceday, give the mob 100% TP immediately. I've heard of BST/RDM doing it also, but I can't really comment on how effective it is.

BST would be able to spam the mob with TP fast, but I dunno if pet would hold hate or whatever. (My BST is 13 >_> Go me!)

Wouldn't /sch work better for that? Or wait no light dmg... scratch that.