Best tanking / DD body
First Page 2 3
 Caitsith.Heimdall
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2009-10-06 08:41:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Out of these options which is best for tanking or better for DDing that you might wear at or near 75?

Valor Surcoat, Shadow Breastplate, Valhalla Breastplate

Nuevo Coselete, Homam Corazza, Assault Breastplate

Askar Korazin, Ares's Cuirass, Gallant Surcoat +1

Koenig Cuirass, Crimson Scale Mail, Adaman Cuirass

Aurum Cuirass, Amir Korazin, Avalon Breastplate

Hydra Haubert, Heavy Cuirass, Iron Ram Hauberk

Fourth Division Brunne, Darksteel Harness

Gold Cuirass, Coral Scale Mail

(list became a lot longer then planed ><)
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-10-06 08:49:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Hydra Haubert is best enmity piece for tanking big ***.

Nuevo Coselete is best for blink tanking unless you need the extra enmity from hydra.

Valhalla is the best blood tanking piece.

Iron Ram Hauberk is the best MDEF piece for things like JoL.

Ares's is best DD piece.

Now before people flame me and tell me I'm completely wrong 'cause I'm not a pld, there are always bound to be different opinions on what's best for certain situations, but the ones I've mentioned are a good starting point at least.
[+]
 Alexander.Ramandor
Server: Alexander
user: Ramandor
By Alexander.Ramandor 2009-10-06 08:51:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Well:

Ares's Cuirass or Homam Corazza for Idle.

Hydra Haubert for JA's/Cure's/Flash aswell(depending)

Nueveo Coselete(Assuming you've made it with Fast Cast for pld): Ichi, Flash if your not working with Haste/Double march situations.

Valhalla Breastplate: Oh ***set.

Avalon Breastplate: If your really maxing out PLD, It's a good Chivalry piece.

Valor Surcoat: lolCover macro.

Mbody: Rampart macro.

Crimson Scale Mail: Highest MND on a body for Stoneskin, can also double for your Chivalry body if you have it and don't to shell out gil for Avalon, assuming you have this. It is better for it anyway.

In short: Very few if any piece is a full time item for PLD.
[+]
 Caitsith.Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2009-10-06 08:52:16
Link | Quote | Reply

ya neither am i least not 75. whole reason for this is from a old conversation about pld wearing ares's what is better suited for dd.
 Siren.Corrin
Server: Siren
By Siren.Corrin 2009-10-06 08:52:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Well its always hard to pick one piece of gear w/o looking at all other slots.
But these would be my picks:
Valhalla
Nuevo (Depending on Augements, i was thinking like acc +10 and DA +2)
Ares
Koenig
Aurum
Hydra
Fourth
Coral
 Alexander.Ramandor
By Alexander.Ramandor 2009-10-06 08:53:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Like I stated in my last comment, PLD never wears any given piece for long period's of time. If your playing PLD and not blinking like a Christmas tree. Your doing something horribly wrong.

For Idle Heimd, or what your calling "DD". Ares's body is perfectly fine and in many cases your best bet. PLD's accuracy isn't completely god awful, stacked with the fact you should be using sushi on any HNM or any event that your melee'ing for that matter to be able to pump out more Atonement's. In general. Ares's body is probably the best well rounded IDLE body piece for PLD. Homam Corazza being a close second, and actually being the best if your a Excalibur PLD.
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-10-06 08:57:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramandor said:
Like I stated in my last comment, no decent player ever wears any given piece for long periods of time. If you're playing PLD and blinking like a Christmas tree, you're doing something horribly wrong.

Fixed that for ya

Edit: And no, you should not have to rely on your healers having blinkmenot.
 Alexander.Ramandor
By Alexander.Ramandor 2009-10-06 09:01:29
Link | Quote | Reply

If a healer cant heal efficiently with someone blinking. regardless of having blinkmenot, they shouldn't be playing a mage job. It isn't hard to target regardless of blinking.
[+]
 Fairy.Vegetto
Server: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-06 09:05:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Ramandor said:
Like I stated in my last comment, no decent player ever wears any given piece for long periods of time. If you're playing PLD and blinking like a Christmas tree, you're doing something horribly wrong.

Fixed that for ya

You must have a lot of experience with very shitty mages. It's called <stpt> <stal>. Even without blinkmenot, any competent mage should have absolutely no problem taking care of their tank.
[+]
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-10-06 09:08:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramandor said:

Well:

Ares's Cuirass or Homam Corazza for Idle.

Hydra Haubert for JA's/Cure's/Flash aswell(depending)

Nueveo Coselete(Assuming you've made it with Fast Cast for pld): Ichi, Flash if your not working with Haste/Double march situations.

Valhalla Breastplate: Oh ***set.

Avalon Breastplate: If your really maxing out PLD, It's a good Chivalry piece.

Valor Surcoat: lolCover macro.

Mbody: Rampart macro.

Crimson Scale Mail: Highest MND on a body for Stoneskin, can also double for your Chivalry body if you have it and don't to shell out gil for Avalon, assuming you have this. It is better for it anyway.

In short: Very few if any piece is a full time item for PLD.

This is pretty much spot on, Although Hauby +1 is better than Homam for TPing, it has more accuracy, some attack.

Hauby +1 vs Ares for TP is subjective based on the rest of your gear, buffs etc.

You also need to think about Iron Ram for tanking magic and fire resist body.
[+]
 Ifrit.Phlow
Server: Ifrit
user: Phlow
By Ifrit.Phlow 2009-10-06 09:09:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Ramandor said:

Fixed that for ya

That would have applied about a year ago, but with <stal>/<stpt> tags, it is no longer an excuse.
[+]
 Alexander.Ramandor
By Alexander.Ramandor 2009-10-06 09:15:40
Link | Quote | Reply

With Iron Ram Hauberk, In most cases. a PLD wont cap -MDT without aegis. Unless they have a Aegis or are using Iron Ram lance, Lance being OK to swap out Sword/Shield for in some situations. But not all. For the cases you wouldn't want to lance. Something like Avalon or Valhalla is a better piece. You should focus on capping -MDT before touching MDB in big strides. As well for fire resist. In most cases mix and matching gets you a better fire kit than full Iron Ram gear with accessories.

However, I agree with the Hauby+1 if your using it for accuracy and the accuracy alone. My case for Homam Corazza was for Excalibur PLDs, when you want as much swings as you can possibly get.
[+]
 Caitsith.Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2009-10-06 09:39:31
Link | Quote | Reply

hmm maybe i should left hecta on the list lol
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-10-06 09:45:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramandor said:
If a healer cant heal efficiently with someone blinking. regardless of having blinkmenot, they shouldn't be playing a mage job. It isn't hard to target regardless of blinking.

Vegetto said:
You must have a lot of experience with very shitty mages. It's called <stpt> <stal>. Even without blinkmenot, any competent mage should have absolutely no problem taking care of their tank.

Phlow said:
That would have applied about a year ago, but with <stal>/<stpt> tags, it is no longer an excuse.

/told

lol. How does <stal> work anyway, I've never even heard of it (hey I'm blu main, I can't do ***to anyone outside of party). Only way I know to quickly target alliance members is /ta <a10> etc, which I use via ctrl/alt F1-F6 through windower, but that doesn't work with a sub-target up. So do you still have to hit your /ma cure <stal> then tab through all 17 alliance members? I'm not trying to pull an I'm right and you're wrong here, just don't see how that makes a blinking pld irrelevant if you still have to tab through everyone.
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-10-06 09:52:41
Link | Quote | Reply

<stpt> and <stal> locks your sub target to the alliance/party list.

You then press the up and down arrows to reach the player you want.

Blink can not make you lose target as its lock to the list, not the on screen character.

And no offence, but if you openly admit you know nothing about the subject of EG healing or Alliance healing, why are you here commenting as if you know?
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-10-06 09:58:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Argettio said:

Blink can not make you lose target as its lock to the list, not the on screen character.

And no offence, but if you openly admit you know nothing about the subject of EG healing or Alliance healing, why are you here commenting as if you know?

You can use the up and down arrows to go through the list? <_< Well *** me I wish someone had told me sooner.

As for why I'm posting, A: I'm bored and B: this is a thread about PLD, not about WHM, that was a derail.
[+]
 Caitsith.Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2009-10-06 10:02:18
Link | Quote | Reply

actually it was a post about tanking bodys that also can or should be used as dd instead and whats better and what the best use that got very derailed lol..
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
Server: Fenrir
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2009-10-06 14:45:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Argettio said:

You can use the up and down arrows to go through the list? <_< Well *** me I wish someone had told me sooner.

As for why I'm posting, A: I'm bored and B: this is a thread about PLD, not about WHM, that was a derail.

its nice when pld tanking i got a cureIV set to <me> and a 2nd cureIV set to <stal> for when i need some hate
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
Server: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2009-10-06 15:12:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Heimdall said:
Out of these options which is best for tanking or better for DDing that you might wear at or near 75?

[EVERYTHING BUT A HAUBERGEON LISTED HERE]

get a haubergeon.

Gallant Surcoat until you get a better +enmity body, but you simply swap it in for any enmity-related actions (this does not include meleeing), such as job abilities and cure IV.

If you're able to use Vorpal Blade (or alternatively better, Atonement), then idle in Haubergeon as stated above; otherwise, even then, it doesn't matter too much until Ares's Cuirass or Avalon Breastplate for standard idle really, just simply because idling in enmity does nothing.
[+]
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-10-06 15:22:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramandor said:
Like I stated in my last comment, PLD never wears any given piece for long period's of time. If your playing PLD and not blinking like a Christmas tree. Your doing something horribly wrong.

<stpt> <stal>
 Remora.Ninian
Server: Remora
user: Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-06 15:37:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Adding more derail. Typing /ma "Cure V" name or /ma cure5 name/part of name if you have Windower is a more efficient way of healing people outside of the alliance. I've never gotten <stal> to work on the PC (it works fine on Xbox :s) and I'm sure it'd be a lot slower anyway. For the most part I prefer to type the spells and let windower swap gear for me. Also blinking doesn't mess that up.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-10-06 15:43:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to type /ma "Cure V" <a23> or /ma "Cure V" <p3> etc. It really is faster to have a macro /ma "Cure V" <stal> and press up and down to select the name in the list. I am a fast typist ~80WPM as well.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
Server: Unicorn
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2009-10-06 16:24:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Do people really use <stpt>/<stal> that much? I can kind of understand <stal> since targetting alliance members is a pain, but as a long time mage, not being able to use Fkeys to target party members bugs the crap out of me.
 Garuda.Antipika
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-10-06 16:26:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Never ever used <stal>.

User submitted image

1 clic, lock target even if blinking. Could also use G-Key since I got a G15 (and 3x6 keys is just about right :d). Faster than typing for me. (in b4 3rd party tool drama).

/off topic
 Caitsith.Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2009-10-06 16:48:43
Link | Quote | Reply

sigh so off topic, and how did this get moved to the pld forum anyways, i didnt post it there...

ok since it off topic anyways does fast cast help with casting shadows?
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2009-10-06 16:51:01
Link | Quote | Reply

That probably wouldn't work for me anyways since I have a pure keyboard style, moving hands to the mouse would slow me down.

And most of the time for ally curing, you just need to target once, not so much lock on them and sit there, so having to click on and off every target would seem kinda annoying.

And does that plugin/whatever have the feature to auto pull the names of your actual ally and stick them in there rather than just <a##>, etc... that would seem useful.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2009-10-06 16:53:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, fast cast will help. Unfortunately pld only has access to 2 regular, 2 augment fast cast pieces and they're all 5% and under if I recall, so it's hard to really boost it. Still never hurts to have though.
 Lakshmi.Schultz
Server: Lakshmi
user: Schultz
By Lakshmi.Schultz 2009-11-02 21:03:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Ramandor said:
This is probably the stupidest thing I have ever read. No a PLD does not need to blink like a Christmas tree. With the myriad of accessories they have access to, a full Cure Swap macro can be achieved easily w/o blinking. The only time our PLD's change gear is purely situational, and never for more than a brief moment every minute or so.

"Let someone else care about my downfalls" is such a ePeen-DD mentality. Just because you're having fun doesn't mean that others are. Not everyone uses Windower, so you can't fall back on BlinkMeNot.
 Odin.Lowblow
user: sKe7ch
By Odin.Lowblow 2009-11-02 21:08:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I read something about Blinkmenot? How about just use the new macro added by SE that lets you target a player and keep targeted even after a blink ^^.

I blink on PLD quite often for swaping in more Enmity and for my HP Down/UP CURE IV macro. So if they cant target me and i die for some odd reason. Only person to blame is the mage. Sorry ~
[+]
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2009-11-02 21:24:02
Link | Quote | Reply

@ op, for body's if you wanna keep it simplish,

idle = emnity or refresh

tp = homam or haub+1 (or acp body if you get acc+10 augment)

flash = acp body with fastcast augment

utsusemi = acp body with fastcast augment

/war = emnity (or dmg-, no i dont approve vahalla breastplate as a fulltime body and should be used as an oshi build like stated above)

also going to want magicdmg- or mdb+ or element resist+ (assault breastplate)
for your magic set

for anyone who says pld doesnt blink while tanking is simply just doing it wrong their own way :)
[+]
First Page 2 3