users online
Forum » Windower » General » Windower does not load POL
Windower does not load POL

| Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Jetackuu 2018-07-10 00:50:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Reinstall Windows.

Windows 8/8.1/10 has a trailing bug somewhere (probably in a borked .net update) that has been plaguing people for years now and sometimes a system restore helps people out if it's been recent enough and an active point is available, but often you will have to reinstall the OS.

Maybe try Windower 5, it's still in alpha but it is a complete rewrite.
[+]
 Phoenix.Erics
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: prophets
By Phoenix.Erics 2018-07-10 03:32:34
Link | Quote | Reply

i had to do the windows refresh on a brand new laptop(win10, 2 years ago now) before windower started working. It still sometimes breaks when i do newer windows creators/seasonal updates and i have to roll back and wait a couple months to update. I really, really dont want to do another system restore, especially if im not 100% that it would fix the problem.

edit:sometimes if you're using dgvoodoo the update can increase the chance of voodoo breaking too. So the windower might work and/or voodoo might not work with the current update even if you keep it up to date. ive tested it a couple times and found it easier to just roll back to a working state for a few months.
By Jetackuu 2018-07-10 03:47:22
Link | Quote | Reply

System restore (when working properly) shouldn't really affect anything but what system files were changed since the restore point (installed programs/updates).

M$ doesn't always release fully working updates, or it could be corrupt, screwing up things. Especially when it comes to .net as it's one of the technologies that Windower utilizes, I've never experienced the issue myself, so I can't dive into what the root cause is.

(rolling back an update is similar to a system restore, in fact I'd suspect it uses the same feature, also probably why it doesn't always work, lol). Also a note for those that update their Windows or defer updates often, the download files like to sit and take up a huge chunk of drive space, this is a problem for people with smaller drives, there's a "old windows" effectively for if you updated releaes, and the updates you can clear out through disk cleanup, not really relevant but something to note. I would definitely make a restore point before clearing out either and rebooting, especially on a pending update, M$ is dumb and Windows can break if you clean up the temp files while an update is pending, it's really horrible.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Erics
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: prophets
By Phoenix.Erics 2018-07-10 04:35:09
Link | Quote | Reply

i meant to say rollback not system restore. but it removes the current creators update when it makes the game stop working and it starts to work fine again.
[+]

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
By Jetackuu 2018-07-10 11:04:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Not really, but it is a surefire fix. Good luck.