Link | Quote | Reply

I did a fast test outside Norg to reset steal every time and this is the log:
Ghast was claimed with Steal.
No Gearswap.

And was Equipping this:

Hope that helps.
442 JP on THF.

DaneBlood said: »
assumed Steal would be categorized as aggressive since it builds enmity, and I cant on top of my head remember if you can claim a mob with steal. (I know you can with bully)

You can claim with Steal.
[+]
 Asura.Inuyushi
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Inuyushi
By Asura.Inuyushi 2018-07-02 15:44:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Katriina said: »
I did a fast test outside Norg to reset steal every time and this is the log:
Ghast was claimed with Steal.
No Gearswap.

And was Equipping this:

Hope that helps.
442 JP on THF.

DaneBlood said: »
assumed Steal would be categorized as aggressive since it builds enmity, and I cant on top of my head remember if you can claim a mob with steal. (I know you can with bully)

You can claim with Steal.

So you used Steal without any TH+ gear on? Then engaged with no TH+ gear on to see that it procced to +4? I fail to see how that helps this thread.
[+]
By DaneBlood 2018-07-02 15:55:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Inuyushi said: »
So you used Steal without any TH+ gear on? Then engaged with no TH+ gear on to see that it procced to +4? I fail to see how that helps this thread.

I believe she was trying to address the bolded part of what she quoted me for aka me on top of my head not remember if you can claim a mob with steal.
So she did clear up a thing for me.

But you are correct the "test" to be done would be to claim a mob with steal, wearing TH+ gear, and then changing to no TH+ gear, Attack and see the first proc.
 Asura.Inuyushi
Server: Asura
user: Inuyushi
By Asura.Inuyushi 2018-07-02 16:15:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, I went out to test this myself. I went on THF with 3 JPs and no gearswap. I equipped only Chaac Belt for TH+ gear and then used Steal before engaging. Before engagined I took Chaac belt off and had no TH+ gear on. It took 4:30 of whacking with an Bronze Dagger, but I finally got a TH proc. As you can see below TH4 was applied when using Steal (Base TH3 + 1 from Chaac).

Conclusion: Steal does apply TH. Your gearswap may be taking your TH+ gear off instead of equipping it when you use job abilities.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2018-07-02 16:15:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Larrymc said: »
You are correct. The initial TH from gear & job traits (up to TH8 with THF main, and TH4 otherwise) lands 100% of the time - no chance involved. This can be via AoE (like sleepga from thf/blm).

Interesting, as this has most certainly not been my experience. *Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "lands."
By Davorin 2018-07-02 16:20:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Shiva.Larrymc said: »
You are correct. The initial TH from gear & job traits (up to TH8 with THF main, and TH4 otherwise) lands 100% of the time - no chance involved. This can be via AoE (like sleepga from thf/blm).

Interesting, as this has most certainly not been my experience. *Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "lands."

TH is a debuff.
By Draylo 2018-07-02 17:03:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Try to //gs showswaps and see if your gear is switching with the JA, if you use gearswap. That is likely the cause.
[+]
 Leviathan.Katriina
Server: Leviathan
user: kate99
By Leviathan.Katriina 2018-07-02 17:15:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Confirmed, did 5 more tests with 2 landed steal and 3 didn't land on Ghast.

All gave TH8 after switching to the set I posted.
Steal Claim was with TH hands Feet (+4 total)
Asked a friend to join on Master THF and did the same and got TH 9
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2018-07-02 19:57:22
Link | Quote | Reply

To demonstrate that Steal applies TH, you need to initially Steal an unclaimed mob with some TH value, n. Before taking any other offensive actions, you must reduce your effective TH value to some p < n. Then you must use physical attacks to observe the first TH proc increase the value to n+1.

Inuyushi's experiment abides by this and validates the claim that Steal does apply TH. The initial observations by the OP are likely erroneous.
[+]
By DaneBlood 2018-07-02 20:28:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you guys.

I will recheck my gearswap.
At least i know it should be working like I thought it would.
 Shiva.Paulu
Server: Shiva
user: Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2018-07-02 21:58:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Glanced through and sorry if I missed it but TH also has a chance to increase via weaponskill. From what I recall when SE announced the "new" visual TH proc system is that they couldn't get the weaponskill TH+ to show in the log. Just bear that in mind if you test.
[+]