TH not applied with steal
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2018-07-02 09:32:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Steal is working just fine for tagging TH for me.
Walked up the a lady bug with +4 TH gear on, used steal, took it off then engaged and proceeded to beat it to death first TH message was TH8

edit: also didn't steal anything from it. i'll test it on a nm later like OP did but meh
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
Server: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-07-02 09:37:42
Link | Quote | Reply

DaneBlood said: »
Odin.Drakenv said: »
;0!!!!!!!!! Forever never using this browser! Thank you for showing me this. You win on that note :bow: I admit fault for my browser not showing this :).

I don't follow your winning mentality.
Maybe that's why you were trying to come of as superioer in the beginning?

The only winning I see from this thread is either:
A: I learn something new and can adjust my play to it.
or
B: Something new gets discovered and multiple ppl can benefit from it.
I never said I was winning I said you win on the note that I was wrong about that link. I’m not sure how hard it is to understand that point. Stop assuming things you are reminding me of a girl or an insecure male. Don’t take bluntness for acting “superior” I just looked at what was provided that was all. :)
By Zerowone 2018-07-02 09:39:15
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys tried to test this with Mug yet?
By DaneBlood 2018-07-02 10:34:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Chiaia said: »
Walked up the a lady bug with +4 TH gear on, used steal, took it off then engaged and proceeded to beat it to death first TH message was TH8

edit: also didn't steal anything from it. i'll test it on a nm later like OP did but meh

TY for your feedback.

I will retest once I get back home
By DaneBlood 2018-07-02 10:36:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Zerowone said: »
You guys tried to test this with Mug yet?

I have not I only tried steal and Bully.
But I will do some more testing when I get home.
By grumpette 2018-07-02 10:38:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Dane, thank you for starting this thread.

What I am seeing in this thread is that TH bonuses possibly react to applied hate when it comes to JAs.

This would explain why some JAs help proc TH while others don't.

This theory would would also make THF relic body +3 a useful tool in spiking CE on non damaging JAs for applying gear added TH. I'm going to add enmity gear to my TH set to test later today. If this theory bears fruit, JAs + enmity TH set from sub jobs (like /dnc) might also be used to CE spike proc TH with higher frequency.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-07-02 10:48:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Everything you do will apply TH. The amount of TH will vary based on your GS rules. However you have it set up.

There is not a single thing I can think of if you take an action(on an enemy) that won't apply TH. .... (tame/gauge, might not... I honestly don't know)

Steal Mug Despoil Bully Voke Jump Flourish spells(even when resisted)
 Quetzalcoatl.Chanceikin
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Chanceikin 2018-07-02 10:57:26
Link | Quote | Reply

In terms of actual definition, Steal SHOULD work for TH. In terms of aggressive actions, that would be any action that would make a mob become aggressive towards you outside of naturally aggressive mobs.

I recall one time during abyssea that someone accidentally claimed Gukumatz with steal, so it clearly counts as an aggressive action.

Not to mention you can easily test it by stealing from a rabbit or other low level trash mob out in like Ronfaure or something. When you perform it, the mob in question will attack you, despite being completely non-aggressive at first.
[+]
 Cerberus.Boogs
Server: Cerberus
user: rs1n
By Cerberus.Boogs 2018-07-02 11:14:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Boogs said: »
How much TH did you have on gear and traits? The way I understand it is that any action on a mob will apply your base TH level and only melee attack can proc higher levels. So say you have a total of +3 TH in gear and traits then by acting on a mob you set the mob’s base TH level to 3 (as opposed to 0 with no TH). Then upon heavy damage attacks (sneak attack for example) you have a chance of leveling up TH to the next level. So non-damaging actions like steal will never show a proc message but it will set your base TH level.

- I did steal with TH +4 gear (Total 7).
- Then swaped into melee gear and TP'ed on the mob.
- TH4 proc came in log.

- next mob I full timed all my TH gear for a TH +5 (total 8)
- I saw a 9 proc

Third testing I did a few times
- Bully the mob with TH +5 gear (total 8)
- tp without TH gear and never saw a proc

I assume (emphasis on assuming) the lack of proc with Bully testing was because the low native TH3 simply never procc'ed due to the mob having TH8 on it already.

If you can confirm this with 10 tests, all of which give the exact same result, then it is possible that steal does not work as most of us would think it does in terms of setting a base TH level.

I, on the other hand, suspect that while you probably thought you had TH gear on, the reality was that you did not have the TH gear on. Maybe it was lag, or gearswap not working, etc. There are plenty of plausible explanations that do not involve turning what most people think is true about TH over onto its head. On the other hand, if you've found something new, that would definitely be good to know for rest of us.
By DaneBlood 2018-07-02 11:37:53
Link | Quote | Reply

If you can confirm this with 10 tests, all of which give the exact same result, then it is possible that steal does not work as most of us would think it does in terms of setting a base TH level.

I, on the other hand, suspect that while you probably thought you had TH gear on, the reality was that you did not have the TH gear on. Maybe it was lag, or gearswap not working, etc. There are plenty of plausible explanations that do not involve turning what most people think is true about TH over onto its head. On the other hand, if you've found something new, that would definitely be good to know for rest of us.

Yeah I will look into it more after work

I am not discounting Gearswap (or anything else) just messing up.
I just surprised of what I saw because it was not what I was expecting

10 tests on the way

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2018-07-02 11:55:47
Link | Quote | Reply

candlejack are you sure that's the way it works?
I thought it worked differently.

Up to TH8 in gear/traits gets applied immediately with any direct action that puts you under target's enmity list.
Past TH8 there is a CHANCE to level up TH, and this happens with any action, with chance of that to happen changing according to type of action and TH gear you're wearing during such action.

Below TH8 for THF main the application of it should be 100% flawless and not a chance. Right? Or at least that's how I thought it worked :x
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-07-02 12:16:16
Link | Quote | Reply

16 Years and people still don't understand how TH works
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By DaneBlood 2018-07-02 12:52:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Candlejack said: »
Odin.Drakenv said: »
I dano ever heard of a place called bg Wiki? This tells you what affects TH.
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Treasure_Hunter

Except its not answering my question.

"the player with Treasure Hunter must take some aggressive action against the mob in order to apply the Treasure Hunter effect"

Steal is an aggressive action against a mob, but did not apply it.
However it appears Bully did apply it.

Ddi you read my question?
Aggressive actions against a mob have a *chance* to proc TH, nothing more. The chance increases with the more +TH gear you have on, up to a maximum cap of TH+8 to start off with and building to TH+12 IF, and only if, you're lucky and the procs land in your favor. Even a normal melee swing could proc TH+1. Like most things in FFXI, TH procs are not a 100% guarantee. If it was guaranteed, you could see how easily THF could break the game with TH alone. You can stack Bully, Steal, SATA, whatever else you like while wearing full TH+ loadout and even then, it might not proc. Or, it might. Think about a slot machine. You put your money in, give the arm a yank downwards, and most times you get nothing. Or, you get lucky and get something.

Again not talking about procingg an increase in TH
talking about sticking the base TH on the mob here
By DaneBlood 2018-07-02 12:54:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »

Up to TH8 in gear/traits gets applied immediately with any direct action that puts you under target's enmity list.
Past TH8 there is a CHANCE to level up TH, and this happens with any action, with chance of that to happen changing according to type of action and TH gear you're wearing during such action.

Below TH8 for THF main the application of it should be 100% flawless and not a chance. Right? Or at least that's how I thought it worked :x
It's a chance, yes. The first physical melee attack you land applies TH+ X (X being from gear and trait). From there, it's a chance. I've had times in the past where I could chain everything with Bully and still not see it go up after the first melee hit. Trust me. I've tried on numerous occasions to see if I could force TH+ to build with JAs, both with JAs alone and mixed with melee /autoattack, with no luck.

Current belief that it does not need to be physsical melee attack to land base TH. but that spells/JA or any aggressive action lands the base TH.

However that is not what I experienced with steal which brought up my question.

Post deleted by User.
By DaneBlood 2018-07-02 12:59:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
M'hm. Nor can they figure out HOW2GOOGLE.

The problem here as you guys are misunderstanding, is that what was experienced was AGAINST the common belief is or documented on bgwiki/ffxilcopeida.

in this observation (small and non conclusive) we did not see the base TH getting applied as it should accordingly to current documentation.

Please understand the question correctly, before answerings irrelevantly.

So its not, not reading bgwiki or FFXIclopedia.
its that it WAS read and did not fit with the observations.

I am not saying I am right. I am simply bringing up and observation that did not comply with the current community documentation.
[+]
 Shiva.Larrymc
Server: Shiva
user: larrymc
By Shiva.Larrymc 2018-07-02 13:01:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »

You are correct. The initial TH from gear & job traits (up to TH8 with THF main, and TH4 otherwise) lands 100% of the time - no chance involved. This can be via AoE (like sleepga from thf/blm).

The chance only comes into play when upgrading from that base TH level applied above on THF main job only (whatever it was - could have been TH0 to TH8 depending on gear and level of THF) to the next highest level. This upgrade, one TH level at a time, can only be done with physical melee hits.
[+]
By DaneBlood 2018-07-02 13:02:04
Link | Quote | Reply

The FIRST MELEE AUTOATTACK HIT LANDS THE BASE TH, DIPSHIT. I explained it perfectly clear. WALK UP TO THE MOB. CLICK AUTOATTACK. FIRST HIT LANDS YOUR TH+ WITH GEAR AND TRAITS. SO YOU HAVE TRAIT+KNIFE+BOOTS+GLOVES, OR TRAIT+GLOVES HQ2+BOOTS FOR THE MAXIMUM TH+ FROM GEAR AND TRAITS OF 8. THE FIRST HIT PLACES TH+8. EVERY AUTOATTACK OR JOB ABILITY USED AFTERWARDS PRESENTS A CHANCE, A SLIGHT CHANCE, TO INCREASE TH BY ONE LEVEL. IT DOES NOT GO UP EVERY FIGHT. SOMETIMES, IT WON'T PROC AT ALL.
You are the special kind of stupid for which they should bring back *** Reading Rainbow! How long you been playing THF, ***? Chances are, I know more about it than you ever will.

Aim not sure what you are trying to obtain by "yelling" and calling people names.
I understand the current documentation on TH.
But again: The observation did not fit the documention

I'm not sure how else to explain this to you.

Base TH was NOT landed as it should be.
Please see the above testing so you might understand the question
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By DaneBlood 2018-07-02 13:09:39
Link | Quote | Reply

/Sigh
/Rams head against a brick wall
I did understand the question. You're just being a dense *** who refuses to learn from veterans who know what the *** they're talking about. What? You think base TH will show in the chat log? It doesn't. Wear the gear. Understand the first hit you land auto-procs TH+8. Every hit after the first one represents a small chance for TH to either go up one or not go up at all.
YouTube Video Placeholder

Because you are not listening. So let me ask you in another way
Why would bully apply BaseTH but not steal?

Did you read the testing above?

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Larrymc
Server: Shiva
user: larrymc
By Shiva.Larrymc 2018-07-02 13:18:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Chiaia said: »

Thread probably should have ended here. Unless you can carefully and consistently reproduce the situation you described in your OP DaneBlood, it was likely user error on your part based on Chiaia's test results.
[+]
By DaneBlood 2018-07-02 13:20:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Larrymc said: »
Thread probably should have ended here. Unless you can carefully and consistently reproduce the situation you described in your OP DaneBlood, it was likely user error on your part based on Chiaia's test results.

I Agree.
I will try reproduce once back from work.
I will post here my results.

It might just have been a gearswap error (I have GS to set TH gear on all my mob targeting JA's)
 Cerberus.Boogs
By Cerberus.Boogs 2018-07-02 13:22:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
M'hm. Nor can they figure out HOW2GOOGLE.

The problem here as you guys are misunderstanding, is that what was experienced was AGAINST the common belief is or documented on bgwiki/ffxilcopeida.

in this observation (small and non conclusive) we did not see the base TH getting applied as it should accordingly to current documentation.

Please understand the question correctly, before answerings irrelevantly.

So its not, not reading bgwiki or FFXIclopedia.
its that it WAS read and did not fit with the observations.

I am not saying I am right. I am simply bringing up and observation that did not comply with the current community documentation.
/Sigh
/Rams head against a brick wall
I did understand the question. You're just being a dense *** who refuses to learn from veterans who know what the *** they're talking about. What? You think base TH will show in the chat log? It doesn't. Wear the gear. Understand the first hit you land auto-procs TH+8. Every hit after the first one represents a small chance for TH to either go up one or not go up at all.

No one said the base TH will show. The only way to know what the base TH is would be to subtract one from the first TH proc. Also, the idea that the first hit itself will auto-proc TH, followed by every hit thereafter possibly leveling up TH is not accurate. The first hit itself can level TH (e.g. open with feint + sneak attack or assassin's charge).

The only way you are going to be absolutely sure that a melee hit is the ONLY way to proc the base TH level (as opposed any action -- which is what is being debated here) is to take a THF and have him AoE a bunch of low level mobs with horde lullaby and then have someone else (in party) kill all the mobs and compare drops vs the the same non-THF killing all the mobs without the THF doing anything. If there is such testing and accompanying documentation let's set it; otherwise you are just blowing a lot of hot air.

I only have anecdotal evidence suggesting that any action will apply the base TH to a mob. (We THF/BRD lullaby all pre-slept mobs in Dynamis-D just to put him on the hate list and saw more drops than without since the THF doesn't necessarily hit every single mob). We did this several times and there was a noticeable difference.

And of course, there's Chiaia's test.
By DaneBlood 2018-07-02 13:26:53
Link | Quote | Reply

You are the one not listening. JAs used outside of battle, like Steal, do NOTHING. You must PHYSICALLY MELEE THE TARGET FIRST, otherwise TH will NOT proc further than your base from trait plus gear. Then JAs may have an effect. Bully is a known JA that MAY cause TH+ to proc, which is why I mentioned it. Other known triggers are Sneak Attack and Trick Attack, especially when stacked with Bully.

I'm am not sure why you keep talking about procing the TH increase.
It's not part of the question.

also in according to BG wiki and ffxiclopedia and the testing documented there you are indeed incorrect as it states
ANY aggressive action. including spells and JA can land the baseTH.

Maybe you should have googled it.
 Cerberus.Boogs
By Cerberus.Boogs 2018-07-02 13:28:32
Link | Quote | Reply

LOL I love it when people like Candlejack are like "google it you dumb@$$" and have no idea what they're talking about.
[+]
By DaneBlood 2018-07-02 13:45:54
Link | Quote | Reply

LOL I love it when people like Candlejack are like "google it you dumb@$$" and have no idea what they're talking about.

and its the people with the biggest superior complex that has no idea of the questions/situations nature.

TY to the people actually making this an adult conversation.
[+]