users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Beast Master » BST as a sub
BST as a sub
 Leviathan.Vindicator
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Vindicator 2009-10-04 18:48:58
Link | Quote | Reply

so i been hearing that you can /bst with high charisma jobs like brd and dnc. and if your say 75 dnc...the pet will be 75 also
supposedly you have to have bst already lv'd to 75...but it won't drop to your sub lv.."so they say" ......thats why i been seeing hi level DNCs /bst i guess. i know you can't use jugs or tame or even the sic abilities ...but i mean hey extra dmg is good :)

anyone out there ever try this ?
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-04 19:00:45
Link | Quote | Reply

To put it simply, Charm is based on your BST's main job level. Meaning a 75 DNC with the same CHR as a 75 BST would be able to charm just as well.

Even if your BST sub is LV37, then you can still easily charm stuff with high CHR at 75 DNC, but the difference is, it will stay charmed for like 30 seconds max.
 Carbuncle.Snoochybooch
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Snoochybooch 2009-10-04 19:17:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not saying anyone is incorrect or correct but from what I have been told being able to charm a mob is based on what level your bst is even if it is your sub job. Otherwise there would be no 75bst out there. So if your bst is only 37 and you sub it you would only have the ability to charm as a 37 bst, but if your bst is 60 and you sub it you can charm with the power of a 60 bst.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-10-04 19:27:05
Link | Quote | Reply

As strange as it sounds, /BST does in fact rely on the main job level of your BST. I too doubted this and ran some tests. Kohny and I were WHM75/BST37 and both hume. My BST was 75, her's was 48. Here are some screenshots of the difference using the Gauge ability. You can see my surprise when it became obvious that /BST really is dependent on the main job level.

Edit: sorry for the LS spam, i never got around to editing these.

User submitted image
User submitted image
User submitted image
User submitted image
User submitted image
User submitted image
User submitted image
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-04 19:51:00
Link | Quote | Reply

DNC, PLD, THF, BLU, WHM, RDM, and SCH can all solo for exp fairly effectively with /BST leveled thanks to the ability to cure themselves. I used /BST to level my PLD through the low levels and got absolutely insane exp for low levels by mowing down EP and DC mobs in a matter of seconds. Finding mobs to kill was a bigger issue than staying alive.
 Leviathan.Vindicator
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Vindicator 2009-10-05 18:16:23
Link | Quote | Reply

THANKS FOR THE INFO... i just might try this out :)....lol right after i get done doing nin/blm(and yes i'm a taru) with the INT setup doing the elemental wheel .....crazy setups...FTW!!!
 Odin.Aramina
Server: Odin
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2009-10-08 12:10:15
Link | Quote | Reply

/BST works well, but you have to have BST leveled right on its own.

Ability to Charm is based on main job level and CHR.

Charm duration is based on actual BST level compared to mob level, even if it's your subjob.

So, ???/BST with 120 CHR will be able to charm the same stuff as BST with 120 CHR.

However, a ???/BST with BST 75 would be able to hold the mob MUCH longer than a ???/BST with BST at 65.

I tested this with BRD75/BST37(65) and while I could easily charm mobs that were Decent Challenge, they would not stay charmed very long at all.