First Page 2
 Odin.Drakenv
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-04-30 13:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry for the wall of text!

For the last 2.5 years I’ve noticed a huge change in FFxi player base. You see back in my day(plus in hnmls day) it was pretty much expected you either 1.had google ready for questions you had about ffxi content 2.knew your sh*t MB, which ele is weak to what etc or 3.knew the mechanics of a fight you were doing without much explanation or guidance from other players fighting with you. Now fast forward to today it’s well different. Maybe it’s just a small amount of people from odin (even though some posts on here say otherwise.) What do some people use google for instead of researching their ffxi questions first? I’m talking common sense questions like, “I’m level 99 what does meditate do on Sam?”(maybe pick mediate and the description will tell you?) Or “I’m in Abby Tahrongi canyon where’s chloris? How do I pop him?” Did you search google? Bg wiki? Anything that says FFxi? “No that’s why I asked the linkshell! Why would I search for that?” Or best one yet, “so I’m gonna pop unity intulua unsure where to go.” Did you read the Unity ROE when you set it? “Yes, it says nothing.” :Head desk: and no these people are mostly veterans not new players some returning but been back awhile. Begin the trolling but I am trying to understand what changed? When it takes 30 seconds to maybe 3 mins to get the answer on 98 percent of ffxi content or at least try to.
 Carbuncle.Stiltz
Server: Carbuncle
user: Stiltz
By Carbuncle.Stiltz 2018-04-30 13:39:18
Link | Quote | Reply

how do i shot web
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-04-30 13:57:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Stiltz said: »
how do i shot web
Lol :dies: spooderman
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2018-04-30 14:19:22
Link | Quote | Reply

You're right. But as long as people answer them, they will ask.
The only thing I'd like to request of the people replying is: if the answer is longer than 3 words, pt with the person and use /p. It bugs me when LS chat fills up with walls of text explaining quests or game mechanics. Especially since the person who asked will always say "Sorry, please repeat. I zoned." Always...
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2018-04-30 14:20:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Let me Google that for you
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-04-30 14:37:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk said: »
Omg thank u forever my response in linkshell
 Carbuncle.Stiltz
By Carbuncle.Stiltz 2018-04-30 14:37:42
Link | Quote | Reply

For the sake of every returning player ever:
Check the maw in Rolanberry.
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-04-30 15:28:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Laurelli said: »
The only thing I'd like to request of the people replying is: if the answer is longer than 3 words, pt with the person and use /p. It bugs me when LS chat fills up with walls of text explaining quests or game mechanics. Especially since the person who asked will always say "Sorry, please repeat. I zoned." Always...
Agreed. And no there are some people who ask and people afk or tell them to try google because they forgot. Then an hour the person that asked goes “well I figured it out without the linkshell help.” I usually say, “good job on taking a dump for the first time.”

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-04-30 15:39:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Candlejack said: »
When I play windowed mode FFXI, I have browser open with five tabs: Wiki, BG wiki, FFXIAH, Google, and Youtube. Why Youtube? For glorious death metal.
Death metal? I actually can see that while long CP parties lol. Death metal it is :)
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-04-30 15:46:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Drakenv said: »
When I play windowed mode FFXI, I have browser open with five tabs: Wiki, BG wiki, FFXIAH, Google, and Youtube. Why Youtube? For glorious death metal.
Death metal? I actually can see that while long CP parties lol. Death metal it is :)
Yeah. The game's repetitive music can get grating. I'd rather listen to Life of Fear while bashing heads in.
Those poor crabs :0. Be hilarious if there was a way to change everyone in your party’s music to death when engaged. People be like wtf.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
By Sidiov 2018-04-30 16:37:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I only started 11 years ago, but at least by that time there were quite a few events where people asked for explanations or had to be instructed, a few people read alla or wiki but it was mostly the same as today. Of course the player #s were much higher, and a lot of people now are actually fairly new/returning so the % of total chat content being basic Qs might be higher.
By fillerbunny9 2018-04-30 16:42:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I shall always think of this when it comes to interpersonal relationships in this game:

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=96
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-04-30 16:47:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Jdove said: »
Agreed. And no there are some people who ask and people afk or tell them to try google because they forgot. Then an hour the person that asked goes “well I figured it out without the linkshell help.” I usually say, “good job on taking a dump for the first time.”

nothing wrong with people asking questions if they are too lazy to look it up themselves giving a smart *** response with no answer because you are annoyed they asked and didnt just look it up in the 1st place is stupid if you dont want to answer then dont, you dont have to be a *** about it to the person who asked. They didnt look it up, SO!!
Aww I guess someone is butthurt because everyone must accept their stupidity and I have to cater to their laziness. How cute but guess what I don’t have to cater :). :pinches your little cheek: I know being smart is hard on you it’s ok.
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-04-30 16:49:28
Link | Quote | Reply

fillerbunny9 said: »
I shall always think of this when it comes to interpersonal relationships in this game:

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=96
Lol lots of ternaldos lately. Thank you :)
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-04-30 16:52:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Sidiov said: »
I only started 11 years ago, but at least by that time there were quite a few events where people asked for explanations or had to be instructed, a few people read alla or wiki but it was mostly the same as today. Of course the player #s were much higher, and a lot of people now are actually fairly new/returning so the % of total chat content being basic Qs might be higher.
I agree with all of this but when you start having people that get upset when not only myself but the rest of the group tells someone “dude no one really remembers this mission it was like 8 years ago just check google.” And they still get upset because we wouldn’t give an answer because we forgot or were too busy there is no excuse. That happens more than normal but I do understand your outlook on this subject.
 Carbuncle.Stiltz
By Carbuncle.Stiltz 2018-04-30 16:56:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Protip:
-CORE =/= METAL
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-04-30 17:02:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Stiltz said: »
Protip:
-CORE =/= METAL
:00000
YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Stiltz
By Carbuncle.Stiltz 2018-04-30 17:53:53
Link | Quote | Reply

nothing wrong with people asking questions if they are too lazy to look it up themselves giving a smart *** response with no answer because you are annoyed they asked and didnt just look it up in the 1st place is stupid if you dont want to answer then dont, you dont have to be a *** about it to the person who asked.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Kealoha
user: Kealohaa
By Odin.Kealoha 2018-05-01 08:45:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I don’t have a problem with people who aren’t tech savvy and are honest about it and ask for help. I do have a problem with people who know they can google almost anything but are just too lazy to. These are the people who think shouting or yelling in town is their google search...

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2018-05-01 10:11:18
Link | Quote | Reply

nothing wrong with people asking questions if they are too lazy to look it up themselves giving a smart *** response with no answer because you are annoyed they asked and didnt just look it up in the 1st place is stupid if you dont want to answer then dont, you dont have to be a *** about it to the person who asked. They didnt look it up, SO!!

You should preview your post before you submit it. I don't give smart *** responses.

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2018-05-20 23:13:35
Link | Quote | Reply

If you can't take the time to answer people's questions or find people who are ignorant and want to learn annoying, what the *** are you doing playing a MMO.

I don't remember ever redirecting someone to Google/wikis unless I was simply unable to answer their question myself or if a wiki page would simply give them much better information than I could provide. If you don't educate people, how can you even consider yourself a positive member of the community.

I've always found "Let me Google that for you" insulting in most situations, I wouldn't do that to anyone. Is it that difficult to simply give them the link(s) and then advise them to use certain wikis/websites to find their info? If we were back in 2006 and we were all teens, sure, why not, let's act like ***, but we're all old enough to behave properly in these situations, aren't we?

Clearly not.
First Page 2