users online
Forum » FFXI » General » General WS Modifier Heirarchy
General WS Modifier Heirarchy
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-03-29 12:34:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm looking for the general heirarchy of stat/attribute/trait to prioritize for WSs, and at what point (number) it is better to change that priority. Which has the greatest impact on WSs? i.e. how much wsd >= attribute. How much wsd >= stat like mab or att/ratt? Is there a general formula/rule of thumb.

In other words, for a typical WS (Let's say Last Stand), is the general priority

- modifier (AGI)
- wsd (if can have both great, if no agi, what numb wsd is the same as agi?)
- ratt (if piece has a very high ratt, at what point is this better than the main modifier or wsd?)

I sometimes hear people say that using STR stats for Last stand cape on RNG produces higher results than AGI, which often confused me. So that kind of complicates the way it works. I could never really identify what stat would be the primary BIS option outside of just picking the main modifier. I guess I can plug that stuff into a spreadsheet simulator and get the answer? But would have to do this for every piece.

I mainly ask this because of augmented gear. I have so many marginal and contrasted pieces that have "this" stat but missing "that" one. Sometimes at a glance, I can't really tell what is better just by looking at it. is there a calculator that allows us to put in say 10 WSD and it converts it to the appropriate attribute, based on the ws we select?
By Afania 2018-03-29 12:45:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Just use spreadsheet.....

I honestly never understand the spreadsheet hatred from the community. People ask "what stats are better" on forum and pm all the time and asking whoever answers gear questions on the forum is normally the same as checking spreadsheet anyways....

Then when I suggest them to use spreadsheet or math to find out they are all like "noooooo never gonna use it" as if some people's opinion would be more accurate than spreadsheet/math/sim.

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
I sometimes hear people say

I sometimes hear people say fomalhaut beats dp for leaden salute and fotia is bis wildfire neck. If I trust hearsay instead of math we could just wear anything we want and pretend it's better choice.
[+]
By clearlyamule 2018-03-29 12:48:59
Link | Quote | Reply

There is no way in hell you can make a general thing like that. Each ws being different and several variables at play gunna have to take cases individually.

As far as Last stand they might be thinking back on old lower stat mod ranged ws where str was usually better but 1 for 1 agi should be better for last stand assuming full merits.

Spreedsheets would work though that's a bit much for what you want but pretty easy plug and play assuming it's working right. Can use weaponskill calculations to figure stuff out if you want not too hard though will have to make assumptions about fstr and pdif
[+]
By Afania 2018-03-29 12:51:55
Link | Quote | Reply

clearlyamule said: »
There is no way in hell you can make a general thing like that.

This.....the math behind ffxi is too complicated to make a general rule....

It's possible to somewhat eyeball it with enough understanding of dps mechanics, I do that sometimes to save time or when I suspect a new gear could be used. But from my experience it's often not 100% accurate.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-03-29 12:58:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't have spreadsheet hatred. I didn't know if there was a point where you get diminishing returns, and other stats have a greater impact.

i.e. in the corsair thread, someone pointed out 3-4wsd = 1 attribute for whatever ws they were talking about. I didn't know if there was a general standard that can be applied. Maybe its too complicated in each case to make blanket statements.

In the case of Last stand, there was a shoutwar about the additional attack from STR having a greater impact. I'm not claiming it does, just looking to nail down a conversion that can give a better eyeball idea of what's better, specifically when im spamming through herc augments.

edit: just read up. Ok.
By Afania 2018-03-29 13:01:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
I don't have spreadsheet hatred. I didn't know if there was a point where you get diminishing returns, and other stats have a greater impact.

i.e. in the corsair thread, someone pointed out 3-4wsd = 1 attribute for whatever ws they were talking about. I didn't know if there was a general standard that can be applied. Maybe its too complicated in each case to make blanket statements.

In the case of Last stand, there was a shoutwar about the additional attack from STR having a greater impact. I'm not claiming it does, just looking to nail down a conversion that can give a better eyeball idea of what's better, specifically when im spamming through herc augments.

edit: just read up. Ok.

Well yeah, spamming augments could suck. I usually just open spreadsheets on tablet, manually insert the stats in custom field if I see an augment that seems useful to be absolutely sure.
By clearlyamule 2018-03-29 13:54:19
Link | Quote | Reply

All stats have diminishing returns outside of attack speed.

However it only does in relation to other multipliers so in the case of str vs agi it wont matter because each is diminishing the base dmg multiplier and by extension each other. Well unless you really want to try mathing out the att/ratt contribution
 Cerberus.Darkvlade
Server: Cerberus
user: Darkvlade
By Cerberus.Darkvlade 2018-03-29 14:19:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Where is this link to spreadsheet you mentioned above, I usually come here for advise but if there’s a tool or app that can help me make decisions about whats is or might be best Ill give it a try.
By Afania 2018-03-29 14:23:04
Link | Quote | Reply

It's on top of every job forum, or often referenced in the job guides.