New Update Causing Massive Lag Spikes?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Windower » Support » New update causing massive lag spikes?
New update causing massive lag spikes?
First Page 2
 Valefor.Maurauc
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Maurauc
By Valefor.Maurauc 2018-03-28 14:37:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I noticed there was a core update today, and since then, myself and a few friends have noticed that the game seems to heavily chug every 30~ seconds when things are happening on screen. (Einherjar, ZiTah cleaving, even town zones)

Not just my machine, or internet, which was making me think it was a Windower issue.

Edit:
Thanks to Enochroot, Cair, Byrth, Kireek and everyone who said it could be an add-on issue. Looks like it's Findall that's causing the issue. I will be verifying this myself later, but if you're getting frequent game hitches and have FindAll, make sure to unload it and see if that fixes it!
 Odin.Drakenv
Server: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-03-28 14:58:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Maurauc said: »
I noticed there was a core update today, and since then, myself and a few friends have noticed that the game seems to heavily chug every 30~ seconds when things are happening on screen. (Einherjar, ZiTah cleaving, even town zones)

Not just my machine, or internet, which was making me think it was a Windower issue.
0 issues on all 4 mains and 2 pcs. Was at friends house doing some business no issues. Hmmmmm was using laptop at friends house too
 Odin.Kealoha
user: Kealohaa
By Odin.Kealoha 2018-03-28 15:24:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, this could be a bunch of things. But if the general consensus isn’t experiencing the same thing, it might be just local to your workstation or network. First thing that comes to mind are windows updates (assuming your using that OS). I’ve seen that on many occasions.
 Valefor.Maurauc
By Valefor.Maurauc 2018-03-28 15:38:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Kealoha said: »
Honestly, this could be a bunch of things. But if the general consensus isn’t experiencing the same thing, it might be just local to your workstation or network. First thing that comes to mind are windows updates (assuming your using that OS). I’ve seen that on many occasions.

See, I would have thought that,but I've got two PCs in the UK, one on Win 7, a laptop on Win 10 with it, and a friend in the US on Windows 10 who says it started today.

It could be related to casting Blue Magic animations, as that seems to trigger it fairly reliably (40-50% of the time), but I am seeing it occasionally just running around, too.

Never had lag spikes like this before today.
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-03-28 15:42:51
Link | Quote | Reply

See, I would have thought that,but I've got two PCs in the UK, one on Win 7, a laptop on Win 10 with it, and a friend in the US on Windows 10 who says it started today.

It could be related to casting Blue Magic animations, as that seems to trigger it fairly reliably (40-50% of the time), but I am seeing it occasionally just running around, too.

Sounds like a u issue not meeeee. Hmm kea is right tho

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-03-28 15:52:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Candlejack said: »
Odin.Drakenv said: »

Could even be an ISP issue. Maybe his ISP is throttling the connection.
Very good point :0
 Valefor.Maurauc
By Valefor.Maurauc 2018-03-28 16:12:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Candlejack said: »
Odin.Drakenv said: »

Could even be an ISP issue. Maybe his ISP is throttling the connection.

Doesn't seem to be internet related. Three different ISPs in three locations.

I'm not getting any network lag spikes, it's that the game is freezing up/hitching for 1-2 seconds every 30 secs or so. (Maybe lag spike was a poor choice of words).

I'm not trying to throw blame on anyone. It could just be a complete coincidence that myself and two friends started getting lag issues. I just thought I'd ask on the first common element between all of us: Windower.

I have noticed I'm not getting it on my Desktop machine (GTX 1070, i5-3690k, Win 10), but am on my Laptop (GTX 1060, i7-7790k), which are on the same network.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dannyl
Server: Bahamut
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2018-03-28 16:40:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I can confirm the lag spikes. Just got ingame, saw the windower update and I get a spike every 1minute or so
 Phoenix.Enochroot
Server: Phoenix
user: enoch
By Phoenix.Enochroot 2018-03-28 16:53:07
Link | Quote | Reply

it's not a network lag, it's like a graphical stutter. more noticeable during battle. as it started after an update of windower plugins/addons, i assume it's one of those causing the issue and will be fixed whenever they get around to it. in the meantime, it's just a little annoying.

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-03-28 17:02:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dannyl said: »
I can confirm the lag spikes. Just got ingame, saw the windower update and I get a spike every 1minute or so
So 3 people so far have the issue. And I don’t still hmm
 Asura.Cair
VIP
Server: Asura
user: Minjo
By Asura.Cair 2018-03-28 17:06:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Does it happen if you unload all of your addons?

FWIW: This version of LuaCore has been on the development branch for 4 months and nobody brought this to our attention. The code is vastly different in the two versions because of deprecated libraries.
 Phoenix.Enochroot
By Phoenix.Enochroot 2018-03-28 17:15:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Cair said: »
Does it happen if you unload all of your addons?

nope. no addons/plugins, no issues. think it might be timers or ffxidb, those were the two i unloaded last. were either of those updated within the last day?

edit: i should note, unloading wincontrol totally hosed my pol instance. i'm just gonna remove it from plugin_manager config because i don't use it anymore.
 Phoenix.Enochroot
By Phoenix.Enochroot 2018-03-28 17:30:28
Link | Quote | Reply

aha, culprit. narrowed it down to findall. was that updated in the last day?
[+]
 Asura.Cair
VIP
Server: Asura
user: Minjo
By Asura.Cair 2018-03-28 17:42:59
Link | Quote | Reply

It was not, but LuaCore was. So any addon could theoretically be causing it as a result.

That gives a better idea of what to look at. If anyone notices any other specific addons causing this (ideally with no other addons loaded, but if you noticed combinations that's fine too), feel free to share.

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Enochroot
By Phoenix.Enochroot 2018-03-28 17:48:27
Link | Quote | Reply

fwiw, here's my plugin_manager config for my main. right now i'm running just fine with only the following loaded: timestamp, tparty, ffxidb, battlemod, gearswap, timers
 Bahamut.Dannyl
Server: Bahamut
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2018-03-28 18:07:47
Link | Quote | Reply

The odd thing is I run two instances with the same addon's plugin's, same profile. And only one of my instances does the shutter while the other one does not. And yes, it does so when in battle primarily

edit: gonna try it without findall
 Leviathan.Nitenichi
Server: Leviathan
user: camaroz
By Leviathan.Nitenichi 2018-03-28 20:38:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Is what I had to do to even attack anything, not sure what that's all about, but ya exact same problem unloaded findall no issues
By Datruthuhate 2018-03-28 20:46:45
Link | Quote | Reply

its windows updates, i didnt update my OS after a full HDD wipe & reinstall, and no issues..., it was an update that came out last week, FAWK U MICROSOFT

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2018-03-28 21:53:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Hrmmm. This bug was always difficult for me to replicate, but I think my best guess was that this is caused by findall writing to disk.
 Bismarck.Radec
Server: Bismarck
user: Radec
By Bismarck.Radec 2018-03-28 22:00:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll second it's related to findall - as soon as the screen gets a little busy (Ramuh AoEs in Omen) the console on both characters fills up with

findAll: Lua runtime error: libs/files.lua:192: attempt to index local 'fh' (a nil value)

and the stuttering starts.

Once one character left, it only happened on the character still in omen - no errors logged sitting in Jeuno
[+]
 Bismarck.Indigla
user: Indigla
By Bismarck.Indigla 2018-03-29 00:03:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Stuttering got unbearable for me tonight, realized its the findall addon for me as well after unloading things one by one. Hope it can be fixed soon, it's a great addon. Oh and I too just recently did windowsupdate on my windows 7 computer, if that might have something to do with it.

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Issymo
user: issymo
By Bismarck.Issymo 2018-03-29 02:30:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I was getting this yesterday in Dynamis and I thought it was my laptop on it’s last legs. Thank you for the heads up about Findall causing it.
By Saegar 2018-03-29 09:02:26
Link | Quote | Reply

This might be the reason why we're lagging. Are all the people having issues using Malwarebytes?
 Sylph.Subadai
Server: Sylph
user: Subadai
By Sylph.Subadai 2018-03-29 10:35:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to get this when I used findAll's on-screen inventory tracker. Then at some point it mysteriously went away. At least, I haven't noticed it as of last Sunday. Those of you having the problem, try removing the tracker and see if that helps. Here are my current settings, for reference:
First Page 2