Forum » FFXI » General » {Recruiting!} FFXIClopedia Editing Team
{Recruiting!} FFXIClopedia Editing Team
First Page 2 3
 Quetzalcoatl.Iminiillusions
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
By Quetzalcoatl.Iminiillusions 2018-01-31 17:07:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello, I'm Iminiilusions, and I'm posting this for those of you that would enjoy furthering FFXIClopedia by helping to keep it up to date. I am posting this for people that would be interested in banding together to form a proper editing team for the Clopedia. If you're interested, you can private message me and I can get you settled. Thanks!
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-01-31 18:04:55
Link | Quote | Reply

there's a real wiki located at http://www.bg-wiki.com

please stop this stupid two wikis nonsense, bg-wiki is more complete at this point and has a much nicer interface and no questionable ads.. if you're going to contribute to one that's the obvious choice
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
Server: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-01-31 18:11:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »

please stop this stupid two wikis nonsense, bg-wiki is more complete at this point and has a much nicer interface and no questionable ads.. if you're going to contribute to one that's the obvious choice[
[+]
By Quetzalcoatl.Iminiillusions 2018-01-31 18:25:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Where in your opinion is duly noted, I will have to ask for serious replies only. If you have nothing to contribute, then don't respond to this post. Thanks.
By hobo 2018-01-31 18:34:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Serious Replies on FFXIAH? Is this real life
[+]
 Leviathan.Kaparu
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2018-01-31 18:39:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Iminiillusions said: »
Where in your opinion is duly noted, I will have to ask for serious replies only. If you have nothing to contribute, then don't respond to this post. Thanks.

It's a serious criticism. Splitting available information between two sources isn't helpful to the community, and one of the wikis is already actively updated with an incredibly user friendly interface. We all stand to benefit if the alternative is left to die.
[+]
By Quetzalcoatl.Iminiillusions 2018-01-31 18:39:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Unfortunately, yes...
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2018-01-31 18:40:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm glad you agree.
By Quetzalcoatl.Iminiillusions 2018-01-31 18:41:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kaparu said: »

It's a serious criticism. Splitting available information between two sources isn't helpful to the community, and one of the wikis is already actively updated with an incredibly user friendly interface. We all stand to benefit if the alternative is left to die.

I beg to differ. There's a good chance that one will have info that the other doesn't. I view it more as a fact check than splitting the community.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Quetzalcoatl.Iminiillusions 2018-01-31 18:41:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm glad you agree.

I was replying to this:

hobo said: »
Serious Replies on FFXIAH? Is this real life
By Quetzalcoatl.Iminiillusions 2018-01-31 18:44:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Candlejack said: »
I'd volunteer my time for this, but unfortunately the truth is that BG is, truly, more complete. Now, hear me out for a moment before getting defensive. FFXIwiki wound up faltering around the time Adoulin, RoV, Delve, and a whole bunch of other content was coming out while BG was being maintained and kept up to date. That said, BG is the more complete source of information and the one most people will logically turn to. If you had wanted to keep FFXIwiki up and running, your team at the time shouldn't have slacked off and should have worked to make your site the more complete of the two.

Yes, but the Clopedia had greedy owners at the time who sold it to Wikia. BG got a great big bump when they posted the hacked emails between Ganiman and the CEO of Wikia.
[+]
By Quetzalcoatl.Iminiillusions 2018-01-31 18:45:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Clopedia started dying when that "merge" happened. There's still stands no reason why both Clopedia and BG can't coexist.
By Quetzalcoatl.Iminiillusions 2018-01-31 18:50:16
Link | Quote | Reply

If you had wanted to keep FFXIwiki up and running, your team at the time shouldn't have slacked off and should have worked to make your site the more complete of the two.

There also really was no *team* this would be the first actual team that Clopedia would have. We had 2 greedy owners that were only interested in profiting from the site. We were solely run on a community that would pool information.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2018-01-31 18:56:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I beg to differ. There's a good chance that one will have info that the other doesn't. I view it more as a fact check than splitting the community.

Wikis don't need counter-wikis to fact check them. That's what the moderating community is for. Again, BGWiki already does this quite well
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-01-31 18:56:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Clopedia started dying when that "merge" happened. There's still stands no reason why both Clopedia and BG can't coexist.
You're right, there's no reason they can't coexist.

However, both are missing significant amounts of information. Clopedia is missing much more information. Neither is likely to be complete in the near future.

With that in mind, concentrating efforts toward the one that's largely preferred by the community and closer to complete creates a one stop solution faster than splitting effort does.

There's no need for redundancy, edit history is completely visible and spicy practically lives on the edit stream making sure it's accurate.

The only real question here is, why are you recruiting people for Clopedia? Did wikia send you as a community representative to try to save it, or what? I can't imagine it's entirely out of faith to the wiki, because anyone with eyes can see that bg-wiki is much cleaner and easier to use.
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-01-31 19:03:35
Link | Quote | Reply

If you had wanted to keep FFXIwiki up and running, your team at the time shouldn't have slacked off and should have worked to make your site the more complete of the two.

There also really was no *team* this would be the first actual team that Clopedia would have. We had 2 greedy owners that were only interested in profiting from the site. We were solely run on a community that would pool information.
I’m down just don’t be mad when I link everything back to bgwiki ;)
[+]
By Quetzalcoatl.Iminiillusions 2018-01-31 19:07:44
Link | Quote | Reply

You're right, there's no reason they can't coexist.

However, both are missing significant amounts of information. Clopedia is missing much more information. Neither is likely to be complete in the near future.

With that in mind, concentrating efforts toward the one that's largely preferred by the community and closer to complete creates a one stop solution faster than splitting effort does.

There's no need for redundancy, edit history is completely visible and spicy practically lives on the edit stream making sure it's accurate.

The only real question here is, why are you recruiting people for Clopedia? Did wikia send you as a community representative to try to save it, or what? I can't imagine it's entirely out of faith to the wiki, because anyone with eyes can see that bg-wiki is much cleaner and easier to use.

Well Spicy is Spicy, and its what he does best. On to that second part. No, Wikia did not send me as a CR, although yes I am trying to save it. I personally hate the Wikia platform and would love nothing more than to see Wikia drop Clopedia, that way I could dump the entire website to a static html and go about getting a host that isn't trash. What I am doing is purely out of faith for the wiki. I started using ffxiclopedia far before I discovered BG. Although I do admit that Clopedia isn't in the best of conditions, but it is far from beyond repair.
By Draylo 2018-01-31 19:08:34
Link | Quote | Reply

How does BG wiki pay for their servers? I don't recall ads there. If its only from their donations, I'm surprised they keep it going considering most of their staff hates current XI. I haven't been to clopedia in years though, that is a lost cause.
[+]
By Quetzalcoatl.Iminiillusions 2018-01-31 19:09:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Drakenv said: »

I’m down just don’t be mad when I link everything back to bgwiki ;)

I mean, from what I understand, BG is doing alright, and that there's been random peeps that just copied BG's pages to Clopedia, which I don't blame them for.
By Quetzalcoatl.Iminiillusions 2018-01-31 19:13:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
How does BG wiki pay for their servers? I don't recall ads there. If its only from their donations, I'm surprised they keep it going considering most of their staff hates current XI.

I'd be intersted to find that out too. Now that you mention it, I don't think I seen many ads on there, if any.

I haven't been to clopedia in years though, that is a lost cause.

It's more up to date than people think. It's missing a few things yes, and it needs a lot of updating in the odds and ends, yes, but it is far from a lost cause.
By clearlyamule 2018-01-31 19:25:29
Link | Quote | Reply

How does BG wiki pay for their servers? I don't recall ads there. If its only from their donations, I'm surprised they keep it going considering most of their staff hates current XI. I haven't been to clopedia in years though, that is a lost cause.
The forum does yearly donation drives with prizes that usually exceed what they are looking for so I'd guess that
[+]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
Server: Sylph
user: Funkworkz
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2018-01-31 19:33:16
Link | Quote | Reply

clearlyamule said: »
The forum does yearly donation drives with prizes that usually exceed what they are looking for so I'd guess that

The yearly rafflecopter provides most of the expenses. The few ads on the site have never paid for more than 40% of the server fees.

As a matter of fact, the raffle is starting tomorrow. See https://www.bluegartr.com/forums/69-Forum-Donations-and-BG-Gear for the donation section of the forums. Be sure to check out the previous years raffles for an idea of giveaways if your interested.
[+]
 Valefor.Aeonova
Server: Valefor
user: aeonova
By Valefor.Aeonova 2018-01-31 19:49:53
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as I recall, the two major detriments to keeping that ffxiclopedia "updated" came with synergy and their first crappy random augment systems using evoliths and etching equipment. Tons of equipment could then be augmented with such classics as Ice Element Resist +3 INT -5 and such. No one wanted to edit pages to reflect all that crappy randomness. The other was the drama-torama you brought up about sketchy sale of the ffxiclopedia to wiki prime.

Enjoy ffxiclopedia's usefulness as it stands now. It's simply a good place for decade+ old content like early missions/quests and seasonal/holiday events.

Nothing stops anyone from having multiple sites as sources for what they need to get done.
By whitemage 2018-01-31 19:51:12
Link | Quote | Reply

please stop this stupid two wikis nonsense, bg-wiki is more complete at this point and has a much nicer interface and no questionable ads.. if you're going to contribute to one that's the obvious choice

While BG Wiki does have a lot of newer information, I do believe FFXIClopedia came before BG Wiki and still has a lot of stuff that BG Wiki has does not. FFXIClopedia / the people who work on it should not be disrespected. I use both because neither is complete. They both have things the other does not.

I do have an issue with the ads on Wikia brand sites however, especially recently since using Ad blocker in Opera causes the formating of wikia sites to go all "basic looking" messing everything up.

If people want to contribute to one or both wikis that is their choice. I also encourage people who want to start their own new FFXI wiki to do so. We can always share and learn from each other.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2018-01-31 19:52:22
Link | Quote | Reply

at this point the community kinda does need both wikis because both are missing large portions of the game. So combined you have a decent chance of finding what you are looking for.

Both have there flaws as well. BGs site navigation is very lacking imo. I know some ppl are fine with it, but it irritates the hell outa me. I also hate there search bar being case sensitive. I always have issues searching for things on there (if there isnt a link to it on the main page).

And clopedia's is quite obvious. I had stopped using them as often as i could because of the overwhelming amount of adds on the pages. First it started screwing with the format. Then it starting have more in page pop up type ads. Then it just got out of hand to the point where my browser would freeze up for 10 min if i tried to enter there site because of all the ads. Granted i had a slightly older computer, but still...

So both site have there ups and down depending on what you need and what you have. There is no reason they cant coexsist other then us bitching about it. - and lets be honest, at this point none of the ffxi players are trying to make a truly complete wiki. Theyve been open editing for ages. Is ppl want to take the time to add tons of info, they could. (yes, i know open to all has its issues, but the point is still valid.)

But ffxiclopedia was there for everyone when we first started. And it got us through a lot of game play. So no hating... unless its on the ads ><
[+]
 Asura.Carrotchan
Leonardo da Clippi
Server: Asura
By Asura.Carrotchan 2018-01-31 19:58:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Search bar is no longer case sensitive
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2018-01-31 20:00:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Carrotchan said: »
Search bar is no longer case sensitive
good. that always irritated me.
(I havnt rly been able to play the last several months due to moving. SO im a little bit behind)
 Shiva.Haldarn
Server: Shiva
user: Haldarn
By Shiva.Haldarn 2018-01-31 20:03:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
And clopedia's is quite obvious. I had stopped using them as often as i could because of the overwhelming amount of adds on the pages. First it started screwing with the format. Then it starting have more in page pop up type ads. Then it just got out of hand to the point where my browser would freeze up for 10 min if i tried to enter there site because of all the ads. Granted i had a slightly older computer, but still...

If you don't like the ads, log in and they're gone (except on the front main page).

If you don't like the layout (Wikia skin/Oasis), you can change My Preferences -> Appearance -> Layout to Monobook, so it looks like it did in the old days.

I've popped that info on FFXIclopedia's main page now too.
[+]
By whitemage 2018-01-31 20:09:55
Link | Quote | Reply

whitemage said: »
I do have an issue with the ads on Wikia brand sites however, especially recently since using Ad blocker in Opera causes the formating of wikia sites to go all "basic looking" messing everything up.

Correct:
Actually, after looking at the site just now with ad blocker turned on its looks fine again.
First Page 2 3