users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ninja » Hybrid ws
Hybrid ws
 Leviathan.Vedder
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Vedder 2017-07-15 14:46:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey so not sure if any of you had heard about how jinpu is doing for the Sam's, but curious if any of you had noticed anything crazy with your hybrid ws's doing weird crazy high spike damage? If anyone wants to look into it
 Ragnarok.Fabiano
Server: Ragnarok
user: fabiano
By Ragnarok.Fabiano 2017-07-15 14:52:55
Link | Quote | Reply

"waiting for someone posting 99k burning blades"
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-07-15 16:47:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I went out and did some testing (also noted this in the SAM forum, but other than that post I will not continue to discuss it there so we can move NIN related stuff to this thread)

Messed with some Apex Raptors for a while with trusts, did not find any staggering Teki/Chi/To damage. I was using Kikoku (M.Dmg+186) with an Ochu offhand (M.Dmg+108/MAB+14), and have quite a bit of good WSD/MAB gear.

Herculean x4 (with WSD 4-5% and some MAB on each)
Samnuha Coat
Fotia neck/waist
Friomisi/Moonshade
WSD+10% cape

Also fiddled with the set to swap in some pieces with heavier multi-attack gear to get some more frequent DA/TA/QA procs and see how that affected WS. Wasn't ever getting crazy spikes.

I *DID* manage to make the elemental WS fairly strong, almost to the level of competing with NIN's usual Shun (usually best with lower buffs, Ten isn't really that great without buffs), Metsu, Hi - and the ele WS were more consistent. But no secret gamebreaking katana WS weirdness.

FWIW, Blade: To in particular was actually performing pretty well. To the point where I might consider using it more. But nothing wildly excessive damage-wise.
 Leviathan.Vedder
By Leviathan.Vedder 2017-07-15 17:14:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Thx capuchin, does ninja get any decent gkt at 119? I haven't played nin very much since I returned
By Blazed1979 2017-07-15 17:15:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Try again but add a Wizard's Roll to it and a GEO to debuff/buff.

From my experience using True Flight on RNG on Omen bosses, the right buffs can be the difference between a 30k True Flight and a 99K one.

I was scratching my head wondering how the hell people were getting 70k Jinpu's until my friend said "lets treat it like True Flight and stack MAB buffs/gear". That's when the DMG went from 20ks to 99ks. Other than Resolution and Torcleaver, I don't have any Physical WS's in my arsenal that can consistently hit that high.

If NIN can pull off the same, imagine the DMG potential with your own timed Magic Bursts (since you're already debuffing in favor of magic dmg and gearing for it).

Find some Katan SC setups that end in a magic ws and let us know. (I haven't touched NIN since NIN/DRK tanking Tiamat in 2008 lol)
 Fenrir.Snaps
Server: Fenrir
user: Mojopojo
By Fenrir.Snaps 2017-07-15 19:20:25
Link | Quote | Reply

People were doing this with Blade: Chi a while ago but I think the interest trailed off at some point. You need favorable conditions for both physical and magical damage for those weaponskills to perform well.
[+]
By clearlyamule 2017-07-15 21:02:33
Link | Quote | Reply

For hyrbids generally most the dmg is going to be on the additional magical hit and it's base dmg is based on the first physical so multihits wont do a whole lot but stuff that boosts first hit physical will as well as tp bonus then normal magical stuff. So like thf/nin can do some fun stuff with SATA for example
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2017-07-15 21:23:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Remember with Hybrid WS's the damage from the physical component is used as the base damage for the magic component. Thus raising the physical component will dramatically increase your total damage. I'm also beginning to think that WSD is applied on both the first hit of the physical component and on the total WS damage at the end.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-07-15 21:23:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Vedder said: »
Thx capuchin, does ninja get any decent gkt at 119? I haven't played nin very much since I returned

Nope.

Fenrir.Snaps said: »
People were doing this with Blade: Chi a while ago but I think the interest trailed off at some point. You need favorable conditions for both physical and magical damage for those weaponskills to perform well.

In theory, I guess for a mob that's safe to melee and isn't particularly resistant to phys or magic, you could probably make a really killer setup with multiple NINs using magical WS with a good set (and all bursting on it). Or even mix in something like a BLU, or an actual nuking mage.

The harder part is likely convincing other people to let you try the setup and giving the right buffs... So for me, it's prob more of a solo kind of thing.
 Leviathan.Vedder
By Leviathan.Vedder 2017-07-15 21:37:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there a quick list of any other hybrid ws's around? Would like to see if I can replicate anything a drk would have but pretty sure I don't have any hybrids
By Antisense 2017-07-15 22:28:16
Link | Quote | Reply

The known ones are

Tachi: Goten (lightning)
Tachi: Kagero (fire)
Tachi: Jinpu (wind)
Tachi: Koki (light)

Blade: Teki (water)
Blade: To (ice)
Blade: Chi (earth)

Flaming Arrow (fire)
Hot Shot (fire)
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2017-07-15 22:30:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Tachi: Goten, Tachi: Kagero, Tachi: Jinpu, Tachi: Koki, Blade: Teki, Blade: To, Blade: Chi, Flaming Arrow, and Hot Shot are the only hybrid WS in the game.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-07-15 22:30:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Vedder said: »
Is there a quick list of any other hybrid ws's around? Would like to see if I can replicate anything a drk would have but pretty sure I don't have any hybrids

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Weapon_Skills

They are all there. The fTP numbers aren't valid I don't think because every last one is the exact same with no testing linked.
 Fenrir.Snaps
Server: Fenrir
user: Mojopojo
By Fenrir.Snaps 2017-07-15 22:41:53
Link | Quote | Reply

The last time people were discussing this, high spikes were observed that weren't explained well by the formulas. So there may be some unknowns still.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [1151 days between previous and next post]
By Shichishito 2020-09-08 13:06:52
Link | Quote | Reply

how do hybrid WS behave against enemies immun to physical or megaical damage?
if they deal both physical and magical damage at the same time is the damage halfed if a enemy is immun vs either magical or physical or is one part significantly stronger than the other?

are SAM, NIN, RNG and SMN (flamming crush?) the only jobs with hybrid WS?
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-09-08 13:14:56
Link | Quote | Reply

If a hybrid would do 100k normally. Physical 40k + Magical 40k + 20k (mab mdmg)

Physical immune mob would take ~ 20k (0+0+mab/mdmg)
Magical immune mob would take ~ 40k (40k+0+0)

Cor missing from the list you have
[+]