Node 313
[+]
 Bismarck.Phaded
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Phaded
By Bismarck.Phaded 2017-07-08 14:46:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Should go ahead and symbolic link FFXI's macro folder also. I've been using this to share FFXI files across my machines for a while now, saves tons of time.
[+]
By SpoonfulOfChris 2017-07-08 15:30:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I just keep my entire Windower folder in my Dropbox folder.

Have never had an issue using this method. Works 100% without issue keeping my laptop and desktop up to date.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [391 days between previous and next post]
By xaniko 2018-08-03 08:47:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Do this work for google drive too? Changing paths obviously.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [1404 days between previous and next post]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
Server: Sylph
user: Funkworkz
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2022-06-07 15:16:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bump in case anyone doesn't realize they can do this.

Tips for things I ran into:
  • Be sure you are running the command prompt as an administrator or you will receive a permission error. To do this, search command prompt in the start menu, right click, and click run as administrator.

• You do not need to follow the same file structure in the OP in your dropbox. Just make sure its under a folder you want.

• To quickly get the file path structure into the command prompt, you can navigate to the correct folders and click the path in the white box then copy it. You can then use Ctrl+V in the command prompt box.

[+]
By Felgarr 2022-06-07 23:12:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I wrote something similar a few years ago and I didn't know this thread even existed until just now. It's written better than my attempt too:

https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/53815/offsite-backups-for-your-ffxi-customizations/

All in all, I support and and all backup strategies as a matter of principle.

I could parameterize the script too if anyone finds this to be too technical.

Edit: I'm now reminded why I wrote this in the first place. I couldn't get Dropbox in 2019 to follow symbolic links to my Windower/Ashita folders. Does this work today in 2022? (If anyone is curious, mklink /D will create a "Windows Junction" or hardlink). This means the Dropbox folder and Gearswap/Data folder point to the same physical blocks on the hard drive. Your updates automatically sync via Dropbox as you make edits and press Save.

I'm genuinely curious if anyone runs into trouble using symlinks as described in the OP.
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
Server: Sylph
user: Funkworkz
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2022-06-08 20:01:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Felgarr said: »
Edit: I'm now reminded why I wrote this in the first place. I couldn't get Dropbox in 2019 to follow symbolic links to my Windower/Ashita folders. Does this work today in 2022? (If anyone is curious, mklink /D will create a "Windows Junction" or hardlink). This means the Dropbox folder and Gearswap/Data folder point to the same physical blocks on the hard drive. Your updates automatically sync via Dropbox as you make edits and press Save.

I'm genuinely curious if anyone runs into trouble using symlinks as described in the OP.

It works for me with Windows 11 on both machines. Be sure to use the file explorer structure, not dropbox's shitty gui.
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2022-06-08 20:33:30
Link | Quote | Reply

xaniko said: »
Do this work for google drive too? Changing paths obviously.
I use google drive for mine. ez pz.