Help My Barrage!

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » Help my Barrage!
Help my Barrage!
By Valarwyn 2020-01-16 14:22:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi All, Can anyone confirm my assumptions of the mechanics of Barrage for me?

I assume there are two distinct events for gear set consideration:

1) When the Barrage JA is activated
Use Orion +3 bracers for additional shots here but no other equipment considerations needed

2) When you actually shoot
Pile on the Ranged accuracy gear to limit and barrage accuracy plus gear like Orion +3 in the mid-shot set.

Thanks !
By fillerbunny9 2020-01-16 15:14:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Outside of Orion Bracers +3, I believe my Barrage set is otherwise the same as my midcast ranged set. you should be aiming to get as high R.Acc to cap to begin with for every shot. while also maximizing your sTP values to get as many WS as you can in. additionally, pairing with Sharpshot will get you an additional 40 R.Acc (40 R.Att with 5/5 Merits as well, if you went that route).
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2020-01-16 15:16:32
Link | Quote | Reply

you don't need any more acc than your normal midshot set unless you're not capping r.acc in your midshot set, which case you need to re-evaluate that set first. acc caps, adding more than the cap vs your target isn't going to do anything else for your barrage.
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-01-16 15:26:05
Link | Quote | Reply

considering how much natural racc Ranger gets thru gifts and traits, I find myself pretty much never needing Sharpshot any more. As such, I will often pop barrage, then pop sharpshot, then shoot.

Typical swaps I'll make between my natural midshot set: Orion Bracers+3, Cacoethic Ring+1, Kwahu Kachina Belt+1, Oshosi Leggings+1 (foot slot). I do typically focus less on STP in my barrage set than I do in midshot, gearing mostly for racc and if I can fit in some +crit rate, even better.

So yes, I do add racc over my standard TP set. But maybe a total of what- +30 to 40 racc over standard set? Its mostly needed when using Gastraphetes with dual Malevolences or using Gandiva with Oneiros Kinfe+Nusku or Tauret(for the extra DEX during JR)- more standard pairings (like Perun+1/Nusku) don't need as much extra help.
 Asura.Friedrik
Server: Asura
user: Friedrik
By Asura.Friedrik 2020-01-16 16:10:33
Link | Quote | Reply

As of the April update sharpshot bumps the ranged hit rate cap from 95% to 99%. Barrage always needs it.
By Demhar 2020-01-16 16:25:08
Link | Quote | Reply

honestly from my experience, Anni lands more barrage hits in most cases then gastra, and im using the exact set that's provided in the 'you gonna shoot your eye out' guide.
By SimonSes 2020-01-16 16:32:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Friedrik said: »
As of the April update sharpshot bumps the ranged hit rate cap from 95% to 99%. Barrage always needs it.

Exactly this. Sharpshot is a must for maximizing Barrage effectiveness now.
 Asura.Outlawbruce
user: Cronnus
By Asura.Outlawbruce 2020-01-16 16:36:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Demhar said: »
honestly from my experience, Anni lands more barrage hits in most cases then gastra, and im using the exact set that's provided in the 'you gonna shoot your eye out' guide.

Even though gastra has +1 barrage bolt. Itll never compare to anni if it procs 3x dmg on that first shot
By SimonSes 2020-01-16 16:47:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Outlawbruce said: »

Even though gastra has +1 barrage bolt. Itll never compare to anni if it procs 3x dmg on that first shot

Yep, Anni mechanic is weird for Barrage. When Anni x3 damage proc on Barrage, it triples damage from all hits, not just first.
By fillerbunny9 2020-01-16 16:57:04
Link | Quote | Reply

according to BG, it affects every single shot of barrage that lands. the 13% chance for spike damage there is brutal, Gastra hurts for Barrage simply because Bolts are not Bullets, and there is a significant difference in stats there.
By Demhar 2020-01-16 17:04:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Asides the dmg. I almost always clear 3k tp on Anni vs Gastra usually at 2600-2800, is this because bolts and bullets have different tp returns?
By SimonSes 2020-01-16 17:09:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asides the dmg. I almost always clear 3k tp on Anni vs Gastra usually at 2600-2800, is this because bolts and bullets have different tp returns?

Yes, and not just bullets and bolts, but whole delay on gun+bullet is way higher than Gastra+bolt, so it has much more tp return per shot.
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2020-01-16 20:19:00
Link | Quote | Reply

With the changes, would going back to using ASE pants for the extra hit be worth it? I haven’t played ranger in a bit.
 Asura.Outlawbruce
user: Cronnus
By Asura.Outlawbruce 2020-01-16 22:22:22
Link | Quote | Reply

fillerbunny9 said: »

according to BG, it affects every single shot of barrage that lands. the 13% chance for spike damage there is brutal, Gastra hurts for Barrage simply because Bolts are not Bullets, and there is a significant difference in stats there.

From my understanding it procs all shots. But only if the first bullet procs. Then all the other bullets also proc. But the first one has to proc 3x. I just fidnt want to have to type that all out
By SimonSes 2020-01-17 02:31:32
Link | Quote | Reply

fillerbunny9 said: »

From my understanding it procs all shots. But only if the first bullet procs. Then all the other bullets also proc. But the first one has to proc 3x. I just fidnt want to have to type that all out

Which is the same in practice. I doubt anyone beside SE (maybe even not they since sphagetti code lol) know how exactly Anni proc mechanic works for barrage, but the result is that it can triple whole damage from Barrage or wont proc at all.
By Valarwyn 2020-01-17 21:33:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you need a separate lua set for Barrage JA activation to get the additional 3 hits from Orion Bracers? - or can you just use the midshot set to get this benefit?

Thank you all for your quick responses !
By fillerbunny9 2020-01-17 22:14:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Barrage+ gear needs to be worn when actually shooting, not at JA activation.