users online
Forum » FFXI » Ambuscade » Ambuscade Volume 2 - February 2017
Ambuscade Volume 2 - February 2017
 Asura.Avallon
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Avallon 2017-02-10 09:52:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Placeholder for Volume 2 (Per Shadowlina). I'll update the OP as information comes in.

Edit: will add what people have contributed thus far. Thanks for the information, guys.
 Siren.Demetreos
Server: Siren
user: Riggy
By Siren.Demetreos 2017-02-10 10:12:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Only done on VE so far, but seems to have a mechanic where it essentially invincibles but takes no actions after that. Spawns an add (lizard and raptor so far). The invincible effect goes once the add has been defeated.

Seemed to do it at roughly 70% and 30%.
By clearlyamule 2017-02-10 10:24:11
Link | Quote | Reply

To go with that on VD it does same thing but spawns at ~ 75, 50, 25%. Think it was eft lizard raptor but not 100%. And yeah when add is out it tucks it's head in it's shell and takes no dmg or at least wasn't taking any physical dmg.

Def is decently high on main but not too crazy didn't appear to be any dts. Adds are like 1 ws chumps. Nothing hit hard even on vd. Would be pretty yawn worthy if not for the turtle mechanic and even that is more a minor annoyance. Could probably just engage main and spawn an AoE ws and use trusts to heal and eventually win
 Quetzalcoatl.Mithlas
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Shinzaku
By Quetzalcoatl.Mithlas 2017-02-10 10:27:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Did it on VD, he seemed to do that invincible move 3 times (~75%, ~50%, and ~25%). Was a lizard, then raptor, then an eft.

Could be time-based; that's just what I noticed his HP to be at around when they spawned.

He also does a stomp move that provides a heavy gravity effect.

Edit: Noticed the high DEF too. Gonna try bursting him down fast.
 Asura.Lazskini
Server: Asura
user: lazskini
By Asura.Lazskini 2017-02-10 14:57:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Will also add, he seems to gain a Regen effect when Turtled on higher difficulties.
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-02-10 18:33:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Lazskini said: »
Will also add, he seems to gain a Regen effect when Turtled on higher difficulties.
noticed that too. Fairly decent regen effect when in shell
 Shiva.Berzerk
Server: Shiva
user: Berzerk06
By Shiva.Berzerk 2017-02-10 20:05:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Adds are very easy to 1-shot with CDC as they move into GEO bubble, tried Requiescat, Tenebral Crush during In-Shell mode and it did no damage, Tenebral was actually completely resisted.

Best times were when tank pulled back to starting corner to avoid it moving out of GEO Bubble and meleeing it down. Also made it easier to see adds as they ran from the middle to us every 25%. Fastest run was 2:30ish including buffing.
 Phoenix.Brixy
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Brixy
By Phoenix.Brixy 2017-02-10 20:14:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Some of the stuff I noticed:
-High block rate when attacking it in the front
-Both physical and magic work fine
-Every 25% it will duck into it's shell and go passive. When this happens it rapidly starts regening hp and spawns an add. When you kill the add Sangone will come back out of the shell. He will also come out of his shell if it regens all the way back up to 100% hp.
-It seems to only call 3 adds no matter how much it regens during the fight.
- I would recommend /nin because Tortoise Stomp really hurts
- Aqua breath applies an attack down debuff
- Earth breath applies a slow debuff. Doesn't seem to overwrite haste II
-Tortoise Stomp Harden Shell gives Sangone a gravity aura.

I managed to solo VD on Summoner but it was not easy lol. Feel free to watch and see if you catch something I didn't mention.
YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By clearlyamule 2017-02-10 22:14:46
Link | Quote | Reply

So sat there holding mobs for a bit to check regen and it was 1-2% a tic.

Most pld type mobs in the game without shields are actually guarding iirc not sure if that makes things better or worse but I didn't really notice reductions in my ranged attacks
 Valefor.Heabea
Server: Valefor
user: Heabea
By Valefor.Heabea 2017-02-10 23:18:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Just fought this twice on VD.

First time we went in PUP WHM SCH BLM BLM,The first SC+MB took him down pretty well but after that he wouldn't take any magic damage at all until he popped in and out of his shell. So there's something funky there.

Second time we just DD zerged it to death, seemed to work well, took about 5 mins or so, with room to cut time off, but many of us just came back to the game, so our DDs were not CP'ed and super geared yet.

If anyone has any clue about the magic situation would be great as our group is mostly BLM based...
By clearlyamule 2017-02-10 23:23:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Heabea said: »
If anyone has any clue about the magic situation would be great as our group is mostly BLM based...
Look above lol. Pretty much everyone has reported it takes no dmg when in shell

Edit: Also it gained gravity aura for me after harden shell. But seemed to lose it rather quickly for me. Was using a def down debuff move so maybe removing the def up removes the aura?
 Sylph.Nubuo
Server: Sylph
user: Nubuo
By Sylph.Nubuo 2017-02-13 19:18:58
Link | Quote | Reply

There is something else going on with magic here. He takes no damage for a while then takes damage and this is not during the "in-shell" periods.
By clearlyamule 2017-02-13 19:25:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Nubuo said: »
There is something else going on with magic here. He takes no damage for a while then takes damage and this is not during the "in-shell" periods.
Was it possibly near a shell/spawn period? So far haven't seen it not take dmg without a mob out but I also tend to burn thru it fast so might miss some time mechanic.

Also to add while in shell it gains full magic shield as well.
 Shiva.Eightball
By Shiva.Eightball 2017-02-13 20:06:15
Link | Quote | Reply

want to put in here that he is very weak to Salute, went pld whm geo(non idris) blu AGDP cor x2 and his HP once dropped 70%+ to 20%ish with 1 salute making darkness and other just overlapping, i managed to hit over 50k on darksday.
[+]
 Bismarck.Vashkoda
Server: Bismarck
user: Vashkoda
By Bismarck.Vashkoda 2017-02-13 20:27:29
Link | Quote | Reply

A few things I noticed, from a brd or whm perspective, on VD:

-if the dds (or geos in range) aren't geared for defense, back to back stomps can take them out quickly. This may require constant curagas (or white wind if the blu's want to help), and since NM is so big, you need to remind people to stand at turtle's shoulders (out of range of conal moves but close enough that a curaga on tank hits them as well). I was in one group where even taking the time to arise someone was too long spent not curaga'ing, resulting in more people dying. And then I was in another group where whm was so bored that he spent most of the run just casting dispel(might have been blu helping with cures, or maybe people were /nin
-he's really easy to dispel with the spell or finale (he spams a move that gives him both protect and shell) though I couldn't get elegy or requiem to land without t/n (granted, my brd isn't the greatest)
-barstonra seemed to help prevent slow from landing from his earth breath (one of his more annoying debuffs)
-he didn't seem to use his aoe dispel move more than once per run, assuming you kill fast enough
 Sylph.Nubuo
Server: Sylph
user: Nubuo
By Sylph.Nubuo 2017-02-13 21:20:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I'm doing this in parties that take 10+ minutes to get through it on D difficulty, so it's probably not a mechanic most people on here run into. :)

UPDATE: I was seeing this on Easy fights too and after reviewing the logs it looks like it's tied to the Harden Shell (Defense Boost). So I guess mystery solved.
 Shiva.Arislan
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2017-02-15 19:00:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Eightball said: »
want to put in here that he is very weak to Salute

Too right!

If your group is willing to coordinate on a chain, that's cool.

If you're in a more disorganized PUG, this fight is really tailor made for CORs riding AM3 and spamming Leaden non-stop. One-shot those adds as they pop!
By Antisense 2017-02-17 22:33:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I have run into the 0 damage issue (not the same as the head retracting every 25%). It may be related to distance from the mob.
 Valefor.Luxuria
Server: Valefor
user: Luxuria13
By Valefor.Luxuria 2017-02-19 16:15:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I do not think it has been mentioned here yet; the defense down effect of Tenebral Crush will prevent Sangone's Harden Shell defense boost from occurring.