Random Politics & Religion #13

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #13
Random Politics & Religion #13
First Page 2 ... 37 38 39
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-10-14 09:21:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Node 285

Now with 30% more groping and fake outrage!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-10-14 09:23:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
What, you got a new pillow yesterday?
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-10-14 09:26:31
Link | Quote | Reply

What are you now, a politician? You're making promises you can't keep!
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-10-14 09:30:16
Link | Quote | Reply

New York Time's wishful thinking

Quote:
It ain’t over until the portly gentleman screams, but it is, as intelligence analysts say, highly likely that Hillary Clinton will win this election. Poll-based models put her chances at around 90 percent earlier this week — and that was before the campaign turned totally X-rated.

But what will our first female president actually be able to accomplish? That depends on how big a victory she achieves.

I’m not talking about the size of her “mandate,” which means nothing: If the Obama years are any indication, Republicans will oppose anything she proposes no matter how badly they lose. The question, instead, is what happens to Congress.

Consider, first, the effects of a minimal victory: Mrs. Clinton becomes president, but Republicans hold on to both houses of Congress.

Such a victory wouldn’t be meaningless. It would avert the nightmare of a Trump presidency, and it would also block the radical tax-cutting, privatizing agenda that Paul Ryan, the speaker of the House, has made clear he will steamroll through if Mr. Trump somehow wins. But it would leave little room for positive action.

Things will be quite different if Democrats retake the Senate. Poll-based models give this outcome only around a 50-50 chance, but people betting on the election give it much better odds, two or three to one.

Now, even a Democratic Senate wouldn’t enable Mrs. Clinton to pass legislation in the face of an implacably obstructionist Republican majority in the House. It would, however, allow her to fill the Supreme Court seat left vacant by the death of Antonin Scalia.

Doing that would have huge consequences, for environmental policy in particular. In his final years in office, President Obama has made a major environmental push using his regulatory powers, for example by sharply tightening emission standards for heavy trucks.

But the most important piece of his push — the Clean Power Plan, which would greatly reduce greenhouse gas emissions from coal-fired power plants — is currently on hold, thanks to a stay imposed by the Supreme Court. Democratic capture of the Senate would remove this roadblock.

And bear in mind that climate change is by far the most important issue facing America and the world, even if the people selecting questions for the presidential debates for some reason refuse to bring it up. Quite simply, if Democrats take the Senate, we might take the minimum action needed to avoid catastrophe; if they don’t, we won’t.

What about the House? All, and I mean all, of the Obama administration’s legislative achievements took place during the two-year period when Democrats controlled both houses of Congress. Can that happen again?

Until the last few days, the chances of flipping the House seemed low, even if, as now seems all but certain, Democratic candidates in total receive more votes than Republicans. Partly that’s because G.O.P.-controlled state governments have engaged in pervasive gerrymandering; partly it’s because minority voters, who overwhelmingly favor Democrats, are clustered in a relatively small number of urban districts.

But a sufficiently big Clinton victory could change that, especially if suburban women desert a G.O.P. that has turned into the gropers-owned party. And that would let her pursue a much more expansive agenda.

There’s not much mystery about what that agenda would be. I don’t know why so many pundits claim that Mrs. Clinton lacks a vision for America, when she has actually provided an unusual level of detail on her website and in speeches.

Broadly speaking, she would significantly strengthen the social safety net, especially for the very poor and children, with an emphasis on family-related issues like parental leave. Such programs would cost money, although not as much as critics claim; she proposes, credibly, to raise that money with higher taxes on top incomes, so that the overall effect would be to reduce inequality.

Democratic control of the House would also open the door for large-scale infrastructure investment. If that seems feasible, I know that many progressive economists — myself included — will urge Mrs. Clinton to go significantly bigger than she is currently proposing.

If all of this sounds to you like a second round of what President Obama did in 2009-2010, that’s because it is. And why not? Despite Republican obstruction, Mr. Obama has presided over a remarkable rise in the number of Americans with health insurance, a significant decline in poverty and the creation of more than 11 million private-sector jobs.

In any case, the bottom line is that if you’re thinking of staying home on Election Day because the outcome is assured, don’t. Barring the political equivalent of a meteor strike, Hillary Clinton will be our next president, but the size of her victory will determine what kind of president she can be.

So, the NYTs openly admits that they want the same old excuse of unconstitutional orders by the President, which will be overturned in federal courts anyway, and practically another 4 years of a lame-duck president. In other words, no change from the dismal economic "growth," increased terrorist presence around the world, increasing bad relations with foreign countries, and more divide between the people.

Go figure.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-10-14 09:32:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

Clinton: We will keep the same percentage of groping and fake outrage as we had in the past 8 years!
Trump: Make Groping Great Again! And the Fake Outrage is going to be YUGE!!!!
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-10-14 09:32:36
Link | Quote | Reply

*Gropes*
By Ramyrez 2016-10-14 09:34:03
Link | Quote | Reply

*Gropes*

[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Ramyrez 2016-10-14 09:42:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
So, the NYTs openly admits that they want the same old excuse of unconstitutional orders by the President, which will be overturned in federal courts anyway, and practically another 4 years of a lame-duck president. In other words, no change from the dismal economic "growth," increased terrorist presence around the world, increasing bad relations with foreign countries, and more divide between the people.

You'll have the same issues if Trump is elected president so I don't get your point.

But with Trump it will be entertaining.

What we really need is Bill Clinton back in office so we can have another 4-8 years of "who is he sleeping with now?!" drama. With Hillary all we know is that...it won't be Hillary.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-10-14 09:43:18
Link | Quote | Reply

You'll have the same issues if Trump is elected president so I don't get your point.
Not really. We already know that the Republicans will keep the House. Polls are suggesting a 50/50 split on the Senate, but certainly enough to get ***done in a Trump/Democrat Senate presidency.

We are already at low points relations with foreign countries and domestic societal relations, so Trump can't really make those even worse. Terror is at an all-time high across the board, but I highly doubt that Trump will do anything to keep it growing, like how Obama did and Clinton wishes. The economic "growth" is the only wild card, Trumps policies that he enacts may or may not create new jobs, but at least it's not a sure bet like Clinton's is for continued labor participation rate falling and jobs leaving the country.

At this point, I rather take a risk for possible advancements than a guaranteed failure like Clinton is.

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-10-14 09:48:24
Link | Quote | Reply

"who is he sleeping with now?!" drama

Plot twist, it's with Melania.
But "I'll bang your wife" is not a fair game to play...Melania vs Hillary come on..
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-10-14 09:52:11
Link | Quote | Reply

We are already at low points relations with foreign countries and domestic societal relations, so Trump can't really make those even worse.

Wow, that's pretty close to being insane.
Ok, how many large riots occurred during Bush II's 8 years compared to Obama's 8 years?

How about the total number of terrorist attacks, both foreign and domestic, during said comparison?

Or are you going to blame everything on Bush?
[+]

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-10-14 10:05:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah, number 13. This bodes well. I'd view this thread as unlucky but it's not easy when the bar has been on the floor for the previous 12.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-10-14 10:05:36
Link | Quote | Reply

We are already at low points relations with foreign countries and domestic societal relations, so Trump can't really make those even worse.

Wow, that's pretty close to being insane.
Ok, how many large riots occurred during Bush II's 8 years compared to Obama's 8 years?

How about the total number of terrorist attacks, both foreign and domestic, during said comparison?

YouTube Video Placeholder
By fonewear 2016-10-14 10:08:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Ah, number 13. This bodes well. I'd view this thread as unlucky but it's not easy when the bar has been on the floor for the previous 12.

What do you know this internet is full of stuff:

Knights Templar: On Friday 13 October 1307, King Philip IV of France ordered the arrest of the Knights Templar, and most of the knights were tortured and killed.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-10-14 10:10:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Fun fact: 13 is considered lucky here, 17 being the harbinger of misfortune.
By fonewear 2016-10-14 10:11:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Fun fact: 13 is considered lucky here, 17 being the harbinger of misfortune.

That's because 13 is the mentality of most Italians !
By Ramyrez 2016-10-14 10:13:20
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
That's because 13 is the mentality of all men and most womenItalians worldwide !
By Ramyrez 2016-10-14 10:14:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends. Are we including all connotations, proper and figurative, of the word 'bush'?

If so, then yes.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-10-14 10:22:41
Link | Quote | Reply

That's because 13 is the mentality of all men and most womenItalians worldwide !

Are you taking Fone seriously again? You might as well be editing an Onion piece.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2016-10-14 10:23:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Not really. We already know that the Republicans will keep the House. Polls are suggesting a 50/50 split on the Senate, but certainly enough to get ***done in a Trump/Democrat Senate presidency.

We are already at low points relations with foreign countries and domestic societal relations, so Trump can't really make those even worse. Terror is at an all-time high across the board, but I highly doubt that Trump will do anything to keep it growing, like how Obama did and Clinton wishes. The economic "growth" is the only wild card, Trumps policies that he enacts may or may not create new jobs, but at least it's not a sure bet like Clinton's is for continued labor participation rate falling and jobs leaving the country.

At this point, I rather take a risk for possible advancements than a guaranteed failure like Clinton is.
I think you're underestimating just how much worse those relations could get...
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-10-14 10:24:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you taking Fone seriously again? You might as well be editing an Onion piece.

I followed that up with a joke about a secondary sex characteristic.

You tell me who is taking who seriously.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2016-10-14 10:30:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't get the whole fake outrage statement... Plenty of people are actually outraged at the things you're tying to a phrase like that....

I do find it hypocritical that many people that are crucifying trump for the alleged assaults and unwanted advances also seem to be giving slick willy a pass in the court of public opinion... Granted trumps vile speech gives some weight to the allegations but still alleged sexual assault is still the same whether you like the person accused of not and none of them should be treated any differently...

On the flip side those that usually defend those only accused and not proven to commit these acts seem well enough to get on the ***on Bill Clinton train to bring Hillary down with him...

Makes you think about how people really don't seem to care about the issues at all and only pushing their agenda... How much can you block out to continue supporting your candidate... Excuse away and the like...
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-10-14 10:30:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I mentioned it elsewhere, but here is A Cracked Article That Made me Think of Foney.

Which, I know many of you are adverse to Cracked when it comes to any serious topics, but I think those of you who support Trump (the GOP nominee and conservative presidential candidate) rather than Trump™ (the scummy reality TV star) will appreciate it.

Nik has touched on some of these too, but it really made me think of Fone b/c he's one of the few I've seen referring specifically to the "city/surburbia vs. rural" element of Trump and, more broadly, red vs. blue.

I think it puts into context some of the support Trump gets from many who find the man himself distasteful and it's why I actually "get" it even when I say "I don't get why..."

I get why. I just have a hard time getting over Trump (the person) and accepting anything else he (supposedly) stands for.

The conclusion, on rural conservativism vs. liberal views with which they can't identify:

Quote:
Madness. Their heads are so far up their *** that they can't tell up from down. Basic, obvious truths that have gone unquestioned for thousands of years now get laughed at and shouted down -- the fact that hard work is better than dependence on government, that children do better with both parents in the picture, that peace is better than rioting, that a strict moral code is better than blithe hedonism, that humans tend to value things they've earned more than what they get for free, that not getting exploded by a bomb is better than getting exploded by a bomb.

Or as they say out in the country, "Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining."

The foundation upon which America was undeniably built -- family, faith, and hard work -- had been deemed unfashionable and small-minded. Those snooty elites up in their ivory tower laughed as they kicked away that foundation, and then wrote 10,000-word thinkpieces blaming the builders for the ensuing collapse.
By fonewear 2016-10-14 10:31:06
Link | Quote | Reply

How can I block out Hillary it's easy it's called a mute button.
By Ramyrez 2016-10-14 10:33:08
Link | Quote | Reply

How can I block out Hillary it's easy it's called a mute button.

Or you could do what I do and don't watch a lick of political coverage on television and zone out when commercials come on.
[+]
First Page 2 ... 37 38 39