New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » [PC/PS4] No Man's Sky
[PC/PS4] No Man's Sky
First Page 2 3 4
VIP
By Kalila 2016-08-08 15:56:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Five years in the making and it finally is time. Final server wipe, and the "Day One" patch, 1.03, resetting the entire universe today and introducing a huge list of content updates, with only 7 hours to go (3 days for PC) until the world can experience what they've created.

To wander around an alien planet, and to feel like we had discovered it. To explore the universe this small team has created. It's such an ambitious project, overly ambitious, and over these five years how much have they accomplished towards their goal.

A problem I see happening is people expecting the game to be what it is not, or at least not yet. Here is a statement from the lead developer for NMS:

Here is what No Man’s Sky definitely is:
  • Exploring a universe of pretty procedurally generated worlds, with beautiful creatures

• Trading with NPCs

• Combat against robots/mechs and cool space battles

• Survival/crafting in a universe sized sandbox

• An awesome procedural soundtrack from my genuine favourite band

• For one small moment, you might feel like you’ve stepped into a sci-fi book cover

That means this maybe isn’t the game you *imagined* from those trailers. If you hoped for things like pvp multiplayer or city building, piloting freighters, or building civilisations… that isn’t what NMS is. Over time it might become some of those things through updates.

For instance, freighters and building bases *are* coming!

At launch though, it’s an infinite procedural sci-fi-space-survival-sandbox unlike anything you have ever played before. If you decide to play it, you’ll see just how closely it plays to those trailers, and to our original vision. It’s a weird game, it’s a niche game and it’s a very very chill game.

This game might not be for everyone, I expect it to be super divisive, but I’m sat here watching playtesters right now who weren’t supposed to be in, but just wanted to play and chill out. I can’t wait for you to experience that for yourselves.

Hopefully this final version on release answers some peoples concerns about the game, concerns from playing early which was unintended. Maybe they'll remain. What is certain though that this is a huge ambitious project for a game, that many fans will love. Hopefully there are no regrets with the team, something they could of done differently, wish they didn't do. I imagine they all are satisfied with what they could do.

Sean Murray ‏@NoMansSky Jul 7
It's happened. No Man's Sky just went gold. I'm so incredibly proud of this tiny team.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-08-08 16:06:10
Link | Quote | Reply

My only hope is that my pc can handle it.
VIP
By Kalila 2016-08-08 16:11:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Little interesting fact, NMS is only 6 GB on disk, most of that is audio. PS4 is 5.04 GB.
[+]
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2016-08-08 16:27:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I saw Kotaku managed to stir up ***over this game by getting a store to break street date so they could bypass the review embargo over the weekend. *** Scumbags.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2016-08-08 16:44:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember when they first showed the concept of this, was it at PS4 release? It looked really interesting, debating if I should pick it up.
VIP
By Kalila 2016-08-08 22:56:32
Link | Quote | Reply

UPDATE 1.03
Sean Murray | August 7, 2016

When we went gold five or six week ago, we posted on twitter, and literally every reply was like “hope you are going on a nice holiday!”. Some of us have, but I didn’t want to, not yet. I pictured myself somewhere staring out the window thinking about this game I’ve been working on for five years.

We’re under a pretty intense spotlight right now, and hopefully it’s easy to imagine how hard it would be to switch off from that, or how deeply we care about people’s first impression of the game.
In fact most of us were back here the day after we went gold, working on this update. We’re already proud of what we put on a disk, but if we had time, why not continue to update it?

Hello Games will continually update No Man’s Sky this way. This is the first of many.

It will be available on Monday for press for review once it exits submission, and on launch for public on PC and PS4. We expect future updates like these to continue to be free.

For 99.9% of people, all you have to do is install the update before you begin to play.

If you had an early copy somehow, your save game will technically work post update, but you will miss out on new content and experiences if you don’t delete your save before updating (should be obvious why from notes below). We highly recommend deleting your save if you have played before updating your game (we won’t do this in future, but it’s a day zero update).

Servers will be wiped on Sunday and again Monday in the lead up to launch.

Beware these notes contain some spoilers. Here are some things our little team has been up to over the last four or five weeks:
The Three Paths – there are now new, unique “paths” you can follow throughout the game. You must start the game on a fresh save, with the patch, as early choices have significant impact on what you see later in the game, and the overall experience.

• The Universe – we changed the rules of the universe generation algorithm. Planets have moved. Environments have changed biomes. Galaxies have altered shape. All to create greater variety earlier. Galaxies are now up to 10x larger.

• Diversity – Creatures are now more diverse in terms of ecology and densities on planets.

• Planets – we’ve added dead moons, low atmosphere and extreme hazardous planets. Extreme hazards include blizzards and dust storms.

• Atmosphere – space, night time and day skies are now 4x more varied due to new atmospheric system, which refracts light more accurately to allow for more intense sunsets.

• Planet rotation – play testing has made it obvious people are struggling to adjust to this during play so it’s effects have been reduced further…

• Terrain generation – caves up to 128m tall are now possible. Geometric anomalies have been added. Underwater erosion now leads to more interesting sea beds.

• Ship diversity – a wider variety of ships appear per star system, and are available to purchase. Cargo and installed technology now vary more, and ships have more unique attributes.

• Inventory – ship inventories now store 5 times more resources per slot. Suit inventories now store 2.5 times more per slot. This encourages exploration and gives freedom from the beginning. We’re probably going to increase this even further in the next update, for people in the latter game phases, and will allow greater trading potential.

• Trading – trading is deeper. Star systems and planets each have their own wants and needs, based off a galactic economy. Observing these is the key to successful trading. We still working on adjusting this based on how everyone plays, but all trading values have been rebalanced across the galaxy, giving a greater depth. A bunch of trade exploits were uncovered and have been removed

• Feeding – creatures now have their own diet, based on planet and climate. Feeding them correctly will yield different results per species, such as mining for you, protecting the player, becoming pets, alerting you to rare loot or pooping valuable resources.

• Survival – recharging hazard protection requires rare resources, making shielding shards useful again. Storms can be deadly. Hazard protection and suit upgrades have been added. Liquids are often more dangerous

• Graphical effects – Lighting and texture resolution have been improved. Shadow quality has doubled. Temporal AA didn’t make it in time, but it’s so close

• Balancing – several hundred upgrades have had stat changes (mainly exo-suit and ship, but also weapon), new upgrades have been added.

• Combat – Auto Aim and weapon aim has been completely rewritten to feel more gentle in general, but stickier when you need it. Sentinels now alert each other, if they haven’t been dealt with quickly. Quad and Walker AI is now much more challenging, even I struggle with them without a powered up weapon.

• Space Combat – advanced techniques have been introduced, like brake drifting and critical hits. Bounty missions and larger battles now occur. Pirate frequency has been increased, as well as difficulty depending on your cargo.

• Exploits – infinite warp cell exploit and rare goods trading exploit among other removed. People using these cheats were ruining the game for themselves, but people are weird and can’t stop themselves ¯\_(シ)_/¯

• Stability – foundations for buildings on super large planets. Resolved several low repro crashes, in particular when player warped further than 256 light years in one session (was only possible due to warp cell exploit above).

• Space Stations – interiors are now more varied, bars, trade rooms and hydroponic labs have been added

• Networking – Ability to scan star systems other players have discovered on the Galactic Map, increasing the chance of collision. Star systems discovered by other players appear during Galactic Map flight

• Ship scanning – scanning for points of interest from your ship is now possible. Buildings generate earlier and show up in ship scans

• Flying over terrain – pop-in and shadow artefacts have been reduced. Generation speed has been increased two fold (planets with large bodies of water will be targeted in next update)

• Writing – The Atlas path has been rewritten by James Swallow (writer on Deus Ex) and me. I think it speaks to the over-arching theme of player freedom more clearly now. Early mission text has been rewritten to allow for multiple endings.

I grew up reading Carmack’s .plan files for Quake, so it’s fun to be writing one of my own :)

Next up we’re adding the ability to build bases and own giant space freighters. Temporal AA and my new cloud rendering tech should be coming soon too. It will really change the game again, and enhance it visually.

This universe we’ve built is a pretty large canvas, we’ve got a lot of ideas. This is the type of game we want to be.

Love,
Sean
VIP
By Kalila 2016-08-09 07:58:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Been playing this for the past 9 hours >.>

Yea, it's a pretty interesting experience. Very deep game in many aspects. I appreciate the attention to detail. Not disapointed with buying it at all.

Yes, it's a very laid back and chilled game, but you can also be a lil reckless and attack stuff as well. Really interesting experience.
 Asura.Diavos
Server: Asura
user: Diavolo
By Asura.Diavos 2016-08-09 09:13:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Launch trailer:

YouTube Video Placeholder

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2016-08-09 20:00:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly most of the heehaw and crying I see about NMS is people wanting it to be more like a mainstream title, more of the same. A template that keeps shoving mundane objectives at you that we've done countless times before, or something where you *** with your friends and build a giant *** out of rocks before moving on to the next flavor of the week. Makes me really sad, cause nearly from the beginning No Man's Sky was clearly labeled to be anything but "standard". It isn't made to be a blockbuster explosions and bullets huge setpiece defuse the nuke before it explodes New York game where you co op with your friends shooting space terrorists or whatever, and that's completely OK. Not every game needs to be built that way. It's just a chill space game that gives you the freedom to fly around discovering stuff while surviving against the unknown, and that's pretty cool. Might not be worth the full $60 to a lot of people, and to those I'd say just wait for the inevitable price drops and PSN/GoG/Steam sales.
[+]
MSPaint Winner
By Ohji Lunartail 2016-08-10 00:38:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Just one thing, is there character creation? Prolly the one thing that will be a buy for me if there is onw
VIP
By Kalila 2016-08-10 10:57:29
Link | Quote | Reply

No character creation, you never see who you are or what race you are. At least, from the 20 hours I've played, you don't ever see yourself.

I like that they didn't force a certain race on you, like, if you're a roleplayer which many people who play this game are, you can call yourself any race you want.

A character creation thing would of been pretty cool but it shouldn't of been a focus during development, and from the fact that they got so much crap for putting out an old version of the game for going gold, so they could finish up on the content that would make it to release, they didn't seem like they had an hour to spare on character creation, which I'm alright with.

For the few who got to work on this game, this will be some of their best work. The game is full with passion and endless possibility, and there is more to come in the future.

I'm not that big into space games, and I am in love with playing this. I can explore so much and I'll never be done.
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2016-08-10 11:00:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, I went into this game knowing pretty much nothing about it, and dang, there really isn't much hand holding. You have to figure stuff out on your own and I love that. Spending time just to break the game down to figure out how to do what you want, and then learning about the game... I'm having a blast with it.

Also, space pirates can fk off :| making me lose all my stuff I had ;_; how dare you. My fault for still using the starting ship.

Farmed up 2 million units and bought a new ship with I think it was 26 slots. Need to learn about upgrading my multitool, exosuit, and ship so I can become more powerful.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-08-10 11:05:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Two more days! Dunno if my pre purchase ship will be any good though. Having spent some time with Elite Dangerous I'm really looking forward to this game as a major time sink while staying up late at night being on call for my new born.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2016-08-10 11:08:15
Link | Quote | Reply

picked this up for steam last night.

why wont it let me pre-load? :(
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-08-10 11:10:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I thinks we have to wait until midnight on the 11th/12th.

Steam says its 10gb. Is that right? I thought i read it was less somewhere.
 Asura.Lokimaru
Server: Asura
user: Rocketpop
By Asura.Lokimaru 2016-08-10 11:52:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Watched a friend stream this for several hours, it looks like a lot of fun chillin' and exploring space and new environments.

Will have to pick it up when my finances improve!
Server: Hyperion
user: mikuu
By Hatsune Miku 2016-08-10 12:14:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm interested in it but...

Idk man, mixed reactions and what not. I'll prolly just pick it up on Friday.
 Bismarck.Misao
By Bismarck.Misao 2016-08-10 12:44:26
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2016-08-11 14:05:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Hatsune Miku said: »
I'm interested in it but...

Idk man, mixed reactions and what not. I'll prolly just pick it up on Friday.
I love it :O it's such a fun game to play and chill around in.

Loving the story paths you can go down as well.
 Ragnarok.Kongming
Server: Ragnarok
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2016-08-11 16:14:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I would still like to see Journey-like multiplayer in this game. I don't care for MMO mechanics at all, but if someone wants to explore with their friend, I see no reason, technical or otherwise, not to include it
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-08-11 21:42:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Misao
By Bismarck.Misao 2016-08-11 22:33:08
Link | Quote | Reply

steam ver doesnt open up till some point tomorrow (friday) anyways
user: Gawdless
By Pwolf Drkgawd 2016-08-12 10:15:58
Link | Quote | Reply

So picked it up last night after watching RoosterTeeths Patch xD because they all talked about it and made it sound fun.

So far the game is fun, but that inventory management is painful. too bad you cant sell those green relic items to anyone. Also I built the hyperdrive for my ship but the game crashed the 3 times i tried to use it. so not sure what to do on that.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-08-12 11:27:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2016-08-12 11:29:20
Link | Quote | Reply

So bummed out to find this one isn't a mmo...
[+]
Server: Hyperion
user: mikuu
By Hatsune Miku 2016-08-12 11:49:17
Link | Quote | Reply

just picked it up

hopefully they put my 60 bucks to good use
 Bismarck.Misao