First Page 2
 Shiva.Eldelphia
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: eldelphia
By Shiva.Eldelphia 2016-08-08 06:43:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Allo,

I've been looking at the guide (and it's helpful) but I've just come back to the game and am looking at the viability of rebuilding my WHM. I left in 2013 and had some amazing gear then but now a lot of it has been surpassed. I've popped back in a handful of times but aside from having ton a few WKR I have almost nothing new. Assume I have all AF, Relic & Empyrean gear. Some relic and af is upgraded to +1 and +2 but not to the next stages.

My biggest issue though is gearing it back to a decent level with almost no one around to help. I could probably grab one, maybe two friends to help.

I do have a bunch of trusts, have almost finished Rhapsodies and am on Ch 3 of Seekers (with what looks like no issues til at least ch 4).

I have other jobs - but again in most cases they're stuck in older gear. I've been using THF with sparks/WKR gear to get through missions etc.

Which activities are practical for me to do solo/pair/trio to gear me up a bit so I'm useful in other content? Are there any quick wins?
[+]
By FaeQueenCory 2016-08-08 07:46:47
Link | Quote | Reply

The great thing about WHM is that it hasn't changed really at all.

As long as you have -80% casting time, and +50% potency (can get another 2% from Adoulin quests, 5% from Adoulin missions, and another 2% from the JSE club in Escha Ru'Aun) you're good to go.

And TBH, the best option right now (and for the forseeable ever) is actually a chatoyant staff (lv51) so if anyone gives you guff about "not being full 119" they can eat it.
WHM is the only job that really doesn't *require* any iLv gear. (It just helps since a bunch will help with cure power and whatnot.)

Empy pants are the only required piece, and you'll need to get Vagary clears to 119 them... BUT WHM and GEO are the "***" jobs, so getting invites should be easy enough.
But aside from that, just hit that -80%/+50% and you're golden. (After that it's all talent.)
Everything else is just preference.
[+]
 Asura.Pergatory
Server: Asura
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2016-08-08 10:12:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow that's a name I haven't seen in a while! Welcome back Eldelphia!

Like Fae said, not a lot has changed for us really. I think probably the biggest change is that /SCH can cast Aurorastorm now, meaning we can use stuff like Chatoyant Staff & Korin Obi for crazy cures.

Quick wins:
Homiliary (quested)
Glorious Earring (quested)
Assiduity Pants (Unity, you'll probably need 1 or 2 people to help you kill it. Note: Same mob also drops a nice cure earring.)
Vanya Hood & Vanya Clogs (drop from very easy Escha Zitah NMs, lots of people can solo these although you won't be able to do it in sparks gear on THF, you can augment these with another 7 cure potency each)

WHM is still used in a great deal of content, although some of what's deemed "really easy" people will just use a Trust healer for.

There are some good drops from Delve, such as Bolelabunga (idle/regen club) and Nahtirah Hat (fast cast hat). Really though once you get a good 5mp or so refresh from gear (much more is possible, I have 12mp/tick currently), a good cure build, and a good cure cast build, it's all downhill.
[+]
 Shiva.Eldelphia
By Shiva.Eldelphia 2016-08-08 11:06:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey Pergatory, nice to hear from you!

So from the responses above (thank you!)

I have the obi/chatoyant - being able to cast Aurorastorm I can see being the big win.

Vagary is 18 man content? Or is it something which can be done with less. I sense that it's not a 3 man deal when you're as low as I am in terms of ilevel.

Thanks for the headsup re Homiliary :) I'll go out with my friend and try for the pants.

Is Delve still a full alliance deal? I know I did 2-3 bosses back in the day.

I have quite a few fastcast pieces - guess it's time to cobble together a gearswap. Even after all this time I still feel more confident at the idea of playing WHM than I do in other roles.

I really appreciate the headsup on some of those items. I was wondering about how tough Unity and Escha Nms are...
 Asura.Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2016-08-08 11:23:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Vagary is technically 18-man content, but like Delve and Escha, enemy HP scales with number of people. So if you take 6 people instead of 18, it doesn't end up being much harder since enemies have a lot less HP. In fact, taking more people can actually make it significantly harder sometimes. I think most people these days do Vagary with a party of about 6, but it's possible with less.

Delve is even easier, it can be done with 3 well-geared players or 6 poorly-geared players with a good job setup. It could probably be done with less, except you need 3 people to enter.

Fortunately as a WHM, there's very little content that's actually out of your reach just due to a lack of gear. :)
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2016-08-08 11:38:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Pergatory said: »
Vagary is technically 18-man content, but like Delve and Escha, enemy HP scales with number of people. So if you take 6 people instead of 18, it doesn't end up being much harder since enemies have a lot less HP. In fact, taking more people can actually make it significantly harder sometimes. I think most people these days do Vagary with a party of about 6, but it's possible with less.

Delve is even easier, it can be done with 3 well-geared players or 6 poorly-geared players with a good job setup. It could probably be done with less, except you need 3 people to enter.

Fortunately as a WHM, there's very little content that's actually out of your reach just due to a lack of gear. :)

Actually, this isn't true, buddy. Vagary is one of the few contents where the difficulty is static irregardless how many people are taken. Enemy HP is the same whether 6 or 18 participate. It's for this very reason we often have a full party of nothing but mules/alts standing in the corner getting them clears/gear/KI's while the rest of us clear the zones.

If this has changed recently then I stand corrected of course. :)
[+]
By Afania 2016-08-08 13:06:38
Link | Quote | Reply

FaeQueenCory said: »
The great thing about WHM is that it hasn't changed really at all.

As long as you have -80% casting time, and +50% potency (can get another 2% from Adoulin quests, 5% from Adoulin missions, and another 2% from the JSE club in Escha Ru'Aun) you're good to go.

And TBH, the best option right now (and for the forseeable ever) is actually a chatoyant staff (lv51) so if anyone gives you guff about "not being full 119" they can eat it.
WHM is the only job that really doesn't *require* any iLv gear. (It just helps since a bunch will help with cure power and whatnot.)

Id still suggest people ilv 119 their gears if they can, too many people refuse to do so and they die really fast when they got hit =(
[+]
 Asura.Krystela
By Asura.Krystela 2016-08-08 14:08:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Welcome back Eldelphia!

The fantastic thing about white mage, is that as long as you keep everyone alive (Including yourself), gears doesn't matter in most situations.

Usually the order to get gears from is:
Delve -> Skirmish/Alluvion Skirmish -> Reforges(Af&Relic)/High tier battlefields -> Unity NMs -> Vagary/Reforge empyrean --> Escha (working your way up from zitah to Reseinjima).

This might seem overwhelming and all but if you have friends that
are pretty up to date in gears, it will go by pretty fast.

Some important things to do for you:
Finish your missions (CoP/Zilart/ToAU/WoG/Adoulin) <- Priority #1
Get Job Points
Get to 119 in item level
Go sell your sanity to satan by doing ambuscade with all of us

:D
I wish you good luck and a great time, hope you enjoy your stay :D
[+]
 Asura.Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2016-08-08 16:12:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Avallon said: »
Actually, this isn't true, buddy. Vagary is one of the few contents where the difficulty is static irregardless how many people are taken. Enemy HP is the same whether 6 or 18 participate.
Interesting, I didn't know that! I guess I've just always done it with roughly the same number of people. Thanks for correcting me.
By BlaTheTaru 2016-08-08 16:42:12
Link | Quote | Reply

HI are you still on shiva? I'm in hawaii so my play time will probably be really late for you if you're in eu. Howver, if you're a night owl I am more than willing to help you farm gear. I can solo most content you need and I have been super bored lately. Look for yadayadayada
By lazskini 2016-08-08 16:47:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I've got a pretty simular question, which I don't feel making a new thread is warranted. Would this be a good starting point to start healing Ambuscade and hopefully Escha Zi Tah?
I feel I'm at in best gear I can get solo.

ItemSet 345137

The Cure Potency in the itemset doesnt look to include the bonuses from Unity Ranking, so i believe it's at 50%.
By BlaTheTaru 2016-08-08 16:50:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Ambuscade and escha zitah are not that demanding. That set is more than enough assuming a good fast cast set.
 Shiva.Eldelphia
By Shiva.Eldelphia 2016-08-09 09:44:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Yep, still on Shiva Bla but yeah, based in the UK so Hawaii might not work. Say hi if you're on though :)

In terms of missions, everything up to Ch 2.5 of SoA was done before I quit. I'm now on the final few missions for Rhapsodies (Winds of Time, 3-27) and 3-2-2 The Smallest of Favors for Adoulin. The only things which slow me down are the game day waits and the odd BCNM. I had some Adoulin fame before I left but I'm sure I'll need more.

Rhapsodies will be finished this week I think and I'll keep plodding on with SoA.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2016-08-10 15:33:49
Link | Quote | Reply

This isn't a great set, but its a pretty easy one to get. I need to 119 all my AF3, but I need vagary clears for it. The Kaykaus gear can be augmented with tons of -Enmity and Cure Cast Time down.

ItemSet 345263

The only other thing I would recommend for whm is to focus (maybe on next skirmish campaign) on Telchine Gear. They can each be augmented with up to +10% enhancing magic duration. I don't feel stressed anymore with haste rotations because my hastes last ~4:15 now instead of just 3 minutes. Since I don't seem to get RDMs or GEOs willing to help haste people.

ItemSet 345264
[+]
 Shiva.Eldelphia
By Shiva.Eldelphia 2016-08-11 03:12:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks Shadowmeld, all useful info. Currently stuck on the last fight in Rhapsodies and making steady progress through SoA. The stats on some of these pieces are mind blowing.
 Shiva.Eldelphia
By Shiva.Eldelphia 2016-09-05 11:22:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, I'm up to my neck in new gear (seriously, I'm a bit overwhelmed) and have made good progress. I'm on the final chapter of SoA and will be able to get my shiny ring soon too. I'm upgrading relic/af all over and now am off to murder Orthus a bunch and try and sweet talk my way into some Vagary clears. So far have failed to kill anyone.

I've picked up the Ambuscade and SoA JSE capes, what should I be aiming for on these? Mending cape I assume is a situational piece - healing/enhancing magic skill help here?

And my Alaunus' Cape - fast cast? Does this need to me on as a midcast piece for the bonus to AffSol?

I now have Tamaxchi and a Sors shield or an Arka IV but am I right in thinking that if I have the obi/twilight cape I should always be casting Aurorastorm on myself and using Chatoyant and only not do this during Darksday?
By aeonova 2016-09-05 12:41:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Where is this -80% cure casting time coming from? Directly from Cure Cast time - and combined with some Fast Cast gear as well?
 Asura.Werdxi
user: drewxi
By Asura.Werdxi 2016-09-05 13:40:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I too left about three years ago. Whenever Adoulin came out. I had an excellent WHM too at that time. I've been back for about a month and a half and this is my current cure set, and it can't get much better. So you a little aspiration, you should be able to make a lot of your WHM.

ItemSet 345961

Queller Rod -> MND+15/Mag.Acc+15/Cure Potency +15%
Genbu's Shield -> Cure Potency +3%/Cure SpellCasting -7%
Vanya Hood -> MP+50/Cure Potency +7%/Enmity -6
Alaunus's Cape -> MND+20/Mag.Acc+30/Fast Cast +10%
Hachirin-no-obi -> I sub sch and have storm up, so another 10%
Vanya Clogs -> Cure Potency +5%/Cure spellcasting time -15%/Conserve MP+6

Once the update starts and I can get a new ambuscade cape, I'll be making a cure potency/MND cape for whm, but I wanted a good fast cast/enfeebling first. Once I change that, I'll also be upgrading the queller rod to have more healing magic. Point is, great set, far far far far further than most whm and it took a whole month and change.
 Asura.Werdxi
By Asura.Werdxi 2016-09-05 13:59:37
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're asking what gear to use for fast cast, I use this

ItemSet 345962

Again, back is 10% fast cast
Shield 7% fast cast

Truthfully this is way too much, but I macro it because it's there and I have it for one reason or another, until I collect more insta cast stuff.
 Shiva.Arislan
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2016-09-05 14:46:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Couple more pieces of advice... cap your enhancing magic (500) for bar/boost/etc... so many WHM's don't bother with this and it really shows on higher level content where you NEED 200+ bar protection and/or +25 stat boosts. Barspell+ is one of the first things you should be putting job points into as well:

ItemSet 339805

And you want to build the best Cursna set you possibly can:

ItemSet 342039

Or it can get very embarrassing on certain monsters.
 Shiva.Eldelphia
By Shiva.Eldelphia 2016-09-06 07:02:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I'm heavily barspell focused anyway, always was so those pieces are important to me. I've already built a decent (but improving cursna set).
 Asura.Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2016-09-06 10:08:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Werdxi said: »
I too left about three years ago. Whenever Adoulin came out. I had an excellent WHM too at that time. I've been back for about a month and a half and this is my current cure set, and it can't get much better. So you a little aspiration, you should be able to make a lot of your WHM.

ItemSet 345961
It can get a lot better bro, WHM/SCH for life. Get Aurorastorm, upgrade to Chatoyant, and go from there. :)

Here's my set:
ItemSet 94432

Cure3 for 734
Cure4 for 1368

With capped enmity down if you put enmity-10 on the cape. In fact you can merit enmity+5 and still be capped enmity down.
[+]
 Asura.Werdxi
By Asura.Werdxi 2016-09-06 13:26:04
Link | Quote | Reply

It can get a lot better bro, WHM/SCH for life. Get Aurorastorm, upgrade to Chatoyant, and go from there. :)

Here's my set:
ItemSet 94432

Cure3 for 734
Cure4 for 1368

With capped enmity down if you put enmity-10 on the cape. In fact you can merit enmity+5 and still be capped enmity down.

Huh, I didn't even think about the benefit of the Chatoyant w/ storm. Thanks for the heads up. I'll update my LUA and do some testing. I do see you use cap -enmity, but just like acc, it has a diminishing return. Once you have enough, anything beyond that is wasted. If I'm not pulling hate, then I'm good, and I don't. Instead I invest in Conserve MP. But yah, now to redo my macros and do some fun testing.
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2016-09-06 14:58:25
Link | Quote | Reply

That's terrible advice, regarding -enm. Not every fight is a standard fight, not every action is done by the book, not every tank is 100% competent. Sure, you can disregard -enm and be good in 95% of the time, but that's not the kind of whm you should advise people to aspire to become.
[+]
 Shiva.Eldelphia
By Shiva.Eldelphia 2016-09-07 04:17:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm struggling to get enough Cure potency on other items to allow me to free up weapon/waist right now. Have begged some help with getting a Vanya hood as that seems like a good route.

Question about Afflatus gear... am I right in assuming it should be on when the cure lands? This is one place where I could make up some cure pot if so by augmenting my Ambuscade cape.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2016-09-07 04:21:09
Link | Quote | Reply

FaeQueenCory said: »
When joining a CP party, you'll want to be in 119 gear though when idle, since it affects the CP you get (which is stupid because I idle in movement boots on my mages and my only option is Heralds)
[+]
 Shiva.Eldelphia
By Shiva.Eldelphia 2016-09-07 04:22:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
When joining a CP party, you'll want to be in 119 gear though when idle, since it affects the CP you get (which is stupid because I idle in movement boots on my mages and my only option is Heralds)

That's good to know.
 Asura.Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2016-09-07 10:20:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Eldelphia said: »
Question about Afflatus gear... am I right in assuming it should be on when the cure lands? This is one place where I could make up some cure pot if so by augmenting my Ambuscade cape.
Yes it needs to be equipped when the cure lands, so yeah if you need potency then the Ambuscade cape can be a good spot to acquire it. It's a shame because Twilight Cape is a nice cure cape too, but I think just about everybody prefers Alaunus's.
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
Server: Bismarck
user: dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2016-09-07 11:45:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I would recommend full timing some pieces like hearty earring and the new staunch thatlum.

Evading debuffs is imho more important that pure cure power.

As mentioned before so long as you can hit 50% cure I pot and -80% cure cast it's good enough.

As whm it's more about timely cures and managing health than how much raw cure output you do, though it matters to some extent. But generally the less you are buffing yourself or removing a debuff like paralyze on yourself the better.

In terms of easily obtainable gear the ambushade marduk set is great . Body Is good for fastcast. Head for regen. And a combination of pieces (hands) is good for magic Eva idling

The jse cape from ambush is also very nice. Enhancing your cureskin.
A general purpose augment would be fastcast 10% eva/magic Eva +20 or acc/magic acc +20 and mind +20. You can push some of those numbers higher with the new dyes augment but I would not worry about that right away.
 Shiva.Eldelphia
By Shiva.Eldelphia 2016-09-07 16:17:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I just got the Vanya hat and capped it out with cure pot etc which helps a ton. I'll look at my options now. I have 2 JSE capes, one from reives, one from Ambuscade.
First Page 2