Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Phalanx set
Phalanx set
 Bismarck.Myguri
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: myguri
By Bismarck.Myguri 2016-05-16 14:17:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been looking on and off and on again all morning and can't find the answer...

Equipping a mid-cast phalanx set would be necessary to increase the potency of Phalanx. My question is, would I need to keep the mid-cast phalanx set equipped until Phalanx wears off or can I resume use of any of my other gear sets once I receive the effect of phalanx?
 Leviathan.Frotaut
Server: Leviathan
user: Frotaut2
By Leviathan.Frotaut 2016-05-16 14:21:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Just wear while casting to receive the bonus, can swap to any other set once casted.
[+]
By Boshi 2016-05-16 15:14:31
Link | Quote | Reply

^ just while the spell casts then you can wear w/e you normally do. Works for Rdm phalanx2 also on both self & others, does NOT work for blu barrier tusk.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [38 days between previous and next post]
By Kuchane 2016-06-23 20:27:56
Link | Quote | Reply

How does this bonus weigh against a boost to enhancing skill? For example, should I opt to use a +4 phalanx augmented Odyssean Helm over Crimson Mask?

Does it all come down to enhancing magic thresholds?
MSPaint Winner
By Skjalfeirdotter 2016-06-23 20:42:19
Link | Quote | Reply

ItemSet 344413
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-06-23 20:55:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Kuchane said: »
How does this bonus weigh against a boost to enhancing skill? For example, should I opt to use a +4 phalanx augmented Odyssean Helm over Crimson Mask?

Does it all come down to enhancing magic thresholds?

No, Phalanx+ is always the best option. You need like 28 points of skill to get a single point of reduction after 300 enhancing skill.
By Kuchane 2016-06-24 01:30:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Gotcha! Thanks for the answer, I appreciate it!
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [52 days between previous and next post]
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-08-15 01:47:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Skjalfeirdotter said: »

I know this conversation is about two months old but..

As Trulusia says below you, enhancing is rather impotent for PLD phalanx.

Since the recast on phalanx doesn't really matter, your midcast gear for phalanx should be as much phalanx+ and DT- as you can manage. What you showed is more like a hybrid precast/midcast set.

Something more like this, mixing in what phalanx enhancing pieces that you have, about -45% PDT (dt included).

Edit: Oh, and for sword. Nixxer is very nice if you don't have burter.

ItemSet 345343
MSPaint Winner
By Skjalfeirdotter 2016-08-15 03:16:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Omnys said: »

Since the recast on phalanx doesn't really matter, your midcast gear for phalanx should be as much phalanx+ and DT- as you can manage. What you showed is more like a hybrid precast/midcast set.

Something more like this, mixing in what phalanx enhancing pieces that you have, about -45% PDT (dt included).

ItemSet 345343

Enhancing magic skill helps with spell interrupts.

Also, another phalanx piece:

Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2016-08-15 07:21:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Omnys said: »

ItemSet 345343

Enhancing magic skill helps with spell interrupts.

Also, another phalanx piece:

Skill+'s contribution to spell interruption is pathetically small.

Think about it, you already have hundreds of enhancing skill, but any mob of decent level is going to interrupt you on every single unblocked hit. That's how little it means.

Adding ~20 skill is going to have nil impact on your ability to successfully cast.

If you're trying to increase the chances of a successful cast, use shield skill/block+ or actual spell interruption- gear. That being said, since phalanx+ gear takes up the majority of slots for phalanx midcast, you can't cap spell interrupt-, or get particularly significant amounts of skill/block+ gear. Nice that Souveran hands/feet have some built in, though.

Or just go with Omnys' thought, and stack PDT/DT in extra slots so you don' take a beating while trying to cast.
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-08-15 14:16:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Not at all to disagree with Martel, but if you stack enough fastcast behind phalanx (precast), it's not a difficult spell to get off, especially if you refresh it during reprisal/palisade.

An important part about tanking is reliability. Stacking shield block (I like shield block) or spell interrupt (short of 100%) is nice, but not at great expense to your survivablity. Sucks if the boss decides to TP you while you're in low -PDT.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [100 days between previous and next post]
 Quetzalcoatl.Urat
By Quetzalcoatl.Urat 2016-11-23 08:02:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Effectively you want to have 2 different phalanx sets, one when fighting and casting phalanx midcombat, and one for casting phalanx when idle.

Idle set you want to just go full blown enhancing skill+, and swap to Deacon Sword and priwen, and yorium for all other slots for another phalanx+3, as well as JSE cape with +5 augment as well. This gives you a total of Phalanx +27~30 depending on if you go with yorium cuirass or shabti cuirass (more on that later)

Combat you instead want to maintain your 50% PDT and then get as much fast cast/recast/etc in on top of souv hands/feet.

Dont forget that Priwen also gives phalanx+2!

It's important to note that a capped skill, fully meritted paladin only needs an additional 9 enhancing skill to get its last possible +1. Since its not possible to hit +37.5 skill in gear, all you need is just +9.

Id put it as a toss up between phalanx+3 from Yorium cuirass and Duration+9~10 from Shabti cuirass. You're choice.

This means paladin should be able to currently pull off a total phalanx of 61 damage reduction total. Effectively speaking, you can over double the potency of your phalanx with all this gear!

ItemSet 347829
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2016-11-23 09:40:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Necro bump is tradition in this thread. lol. But good post so it's ok.

I also have an idle vs combat phalanx. The idle version I mostly use pre pull before cleaving, etc. Never did get around to getting a deacon sword though.

Quetzalcoatl.Urat said: »
Id put it as a toss up between phalanx+3 from Yorium cuirass and Duration+9~10 from Shabti cuirass. You're choice.
I'd have to disagree. There's really no contest here. Shabti+1 yields a minuscule 8 seconds duration on a 3 minute spell. or you could have +3~5 potency for the whole 3 minutes.

Also note that you can get +5 phalanx on Reisenjima gear via dark matter augments. Which may be impractical to actually attain, but it does affect the maximum Phalanx potential of PLD. Should be able to get +6 more than you have listed(+2 for each head/body/legs.)
 Quetzalcoatl.Urat
By Quetzalcoatl.Urat 2016-11-23 17:19:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I wonder what Koru-Moru's potency of his Phalanx II is he casts.

If Koru's Phalanx II is weaker than my own Phalanx, I might have to stop using him because he likes to override mine with his, which could be a huge defense loss depending.

Might have to stick with Apururu and kupipi instead.
By RolandJ 2016-11-23 17:48:25
Link | Quote | Reply

At one time I used to think the caster had everything to do with phalanx potency too. ^^; But it isn't 100% reliant on the caster's stats. The enhancing magic formula is based on the caster but the Phalanx+ gear is like Cure Potency Received gear in that it has to be worn while receiving the incoming spell in order for it to take effect. So you'd have to have it equipped when Koru-Moru finishes casting the spell in order to receive the bonus which would likely be pretty troublesome to watch for.

The phalanx page on BG-Wiki explains this. https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Phalanx
By Creecreelo 2016-11-23 19:21:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Urat said: »
I wonder what Koru-Moru's potency of his Phalanx II is he casts.

If Koru's Phalanx II is weaker than my own Phalanx, I might have to stop using him because he likes to override mine with his, which could be a huge defense loss depending.

Might have to stick with Apururu and kupipi instead.

I believe someone tested trust Phalanx potency at some point but I cannot remember where it was posted. Basically, I'm pretty sure that Koru doesn't have capped Phalanx potency, but King of Hearts does. This is irrelevant, but I believe in this test they found as well that Amchuchu actually has some Phalanx+ which made Phalanx have a stronger potency on her.
 Quetzalcoatl.Urat
By Quetzalcoatl.Urat 2016-11-24 01:03:24
Link | Quote | Reply

RolandJ said: »
At one time I used to think the caster had everything to do with phalanx potency too. ^^; But it isn't 100% reliant on the caster's stats. The enhancing magic formula is based on the caster but the Phalanx+ gear is like Cure Potency Received gear in that it has to be worn while receiving the incoming spell in order for it to take effect. So you'd have to have it equipped when Koru-Moru finishes casting the spell in order to receive the bonus which would likely be pretty troublesome to watch for.

The phalanx page on BG-Wiki explains this. https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Phalanx

Right but Phalanx II is normally a meritted spell for RDM, which means the range of "1/5 meritted, no skill" to "Capped merits, capped skill" Phalanx II is a HUGE difference.

Good to know king of hearts does it better, but I think if I do end up with this build to max my phalanx, then I really won't be wanting my trusts to wipe it midfight with some weak phalanx, and I dont want to have to sit and watch the chat log constantly and be ready to swap gear to recieve phalanx. No thanks!