Forum » Windower » Support » Windower and Game Controllers
Windower and Game Controllers
 Sylph.Rofel
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Rofel
By Sylph.Rofel 2016-04-12 06:00:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Recently returned to the game and recently switched back to using Windower. I've searched for a bit both here and the windower support website but haven't been able to find a specific resolution to this issue.

I use a controller on the PC (logitech F710). In order for it to work properly with FFXI, I use Alternative Setup C in the FFXI Config. When using windower it resets the FFXI config tool to all defaults resulting in the controller not working with windower. I've tried with both directinput and XInput settings.

Is there any way to keep the controller settings in the FFXI config tool from defaulting when using windower? or is there a way for windower to recognize the XInput from the controller?

Thanks!
 Cerberus.Drayco
Server: Cerberus
user: Drayco
By Cerberus.Drayco 2016-04-12 06:35:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not entirely sure how to answer your question directly, but I can tell you how I use a controller on PC.

I have a bluetooth PS3 controller and I use MotioninJoy program. I use the PS3 controller scheme on it, xbox360 I can't seem to get L2 and R2 to work correctly. As far as setting the controller up, I just go into the FFXI Config program and run through the controller mapping wizard.

I've never had windower erase my settings, but with my setup the controller will always control FFXI. Even if I have another game running and I'm playing that with the controller, my FFXI char will be reacting to the controller movement in the background. This does not happen when dualboxing tho.

The only thing I can say is try to map your own button scheme instaed of using a default setup.
By Jetackuu 2016-04-12 07:27:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Drayco said: »
I have a bluetooth PS3 controller and I use MotioninJoy program. I use the PS3 controller scheme on it, xbox360 I can't seem to get L2 and R2 to work correctly.

Ewww, you probably shouldn't use that adware anymore.

360 support works fully since the x-input update, but before that required a custom driver to work, moot now.

As for the OP:

Are you sure you're configuring the same tools for the version your windower is launching? (should be US), I've never seen it wipe the controller config, that's odd.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2016-04-12 07:56:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Windower doesn't mess with the registry entries for controller configuration. Perhaps you have some kind of overzealous registry protection program.
[+]
 Cerberus.Drayco
Server: Cerberus
user: Drayco
By Cerberus.Drayco 2016-04-12 07:56:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I must have a very old version of MotioninJoy. I've had multiple people tell me that about it being adware, but it passes my checker and I have no ads on it. Works good so I haven't changed anything.
By Jetackuu 2016-04-12 07:59:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Eh, I'd atleast make sure it's working in offline mode, and close the ports it tries to use.
 Sylph.Rofel
By Sylph.Rofel 2016-04-12 08:06:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I have a bluetooth PS3 controller and I use MotioninJoy program. I use the PS3 controller scheme on it, xbox360 I can't seem to get L2 and R2 to work correctly

I originally used a PS2 controller (5 years ago) then went to the PS3, but have not been able to get that to work properly since I came back (new laptop - windows 10). Researching the change of the MotionJoy I elected not to use it due to the adware issues.

I also had the same troubles with the xbox360 controller and the triggers. I tried many different programs to map the triggers to alt and ctrl but never could get it to work consistently.

Eventually I bought the logitech and it's worked like a champ, but only with the weirdness of using Alternate Setup C.

Quote:
Are you sure you're configuring the same tools for the version your windower is launching? (should be US), I've never seen it wipe the controller config, that's odd.

Honestly I'm not sure I am. Do you mind explaining the "tools" for the version of windower?

Here's what I experience -- Properly configed with FFXI Config Tool, the game launches fine and works with the logitech controller. I switch to windower4 - the controller doesn't work and the macros are wiped (this might be important for troubleshooting). Log out and check FFXI Config and all settings have been defaulted, including the controller section.
By Jetackuu 2016-04-12 08:21:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Not tools for the version of windower, but tools for the version of XI your windower is launching. There's a toolsUS folder along with several others, are you sure you're configuring the one your windower is launching?

The 360 controller works fine now, since SE decided to add x-input compatibility to the game a few months ago. (AKA you don't need anything to map).

Windows 10 has a glitch sometimes with controllers, the current test build has a supposed fix for it.

Also you may want to read this thread:

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/44293/ps3-controller-driver-ffxi/

But the 360 controller should just work, granted the x-input box is checked.
 Bismarck.Treasurehider
Server: Bismarck
user: Jessee
By Bismarck.Treasurehider 2016-04-12 08:44:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Lot of talk of using the PS3 controllers for FFXI. Just putting in my comment to say that I use PS3 and in fact recently upgraded to the PS4 controller and have had no issues.

Most people think of MotionJoy (as mentioned above) when hooking up a playstation controller to windows, but if using PS controller in Windows is what interests you and you don't want to use MotionJoy, then use this:

SCP DS3 Software Bundle
This link I believe works for the software: https://mega.nz/#!2Z9UQRiL!PKL5iS0aJj6dEvqyDhYDmkFx8fQgXY4rtVnbABRx49s

(sorry I don't know how to make this URL link properly in FFXIAH)

I think this is the GitHub Repository: https://github.com/nefarius/ScpToolkit

Instructions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpSaOJJIun8

I liked this software a lot when I used it.

As far as a PS4 controller goes, it was a bit easier in my opinion.
Software: http://ds4windows.com
Video Instructions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou-JZDpDfPs
[+]
 Odin.Vuq
Server: Odin
user: Delagyela
By Odin.Vuq 2016-04-12 09:08:38
Link | Quote | Reply

You need to open playonline config and set the controller and whatever, none of that matter except that pmayonline first recognizes its a f710.
And then u save out and open ffxi config.
If you use a premade setting it will f*** ur day, set each button the way you would like it, proving to both urself and the game that each button is where u want it. 'Button1,2,3,4,5' is just nonsence. I noticed with some of f710 in my past a button has been button 1, button 3, button 2. So dont trust premade settings.
If u calibrate ur controller manually and confirm config recognizes it, you should have no problems in the game. Of you arent using steam make sure u run as administrator.

Edit: use direct input and uncheck xinput.
By Jetackuu 2016-04-12 09:11:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, Playonline's controller config is just for Playonline, it's moot in regards to XI's config.

Premade sets can work fine, but to each their own.
By Jetackuu 2016-04-12 09:12:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Vuq said: »

Depends on what they have the controller set to. I'd say to set them to both directinput though, for the feedback.
 Sylph.Rofel
By Sylph.Rofel 2016-04-12 09:30:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Not tools for the version of windower, but tools for the version of XI your windower is launching. There's a toolsUS folder along with several others, are you sure you're configuring the one your windower is launching?

I'm fairly confident it's the correct config tool. If I boot FFXI from POL after trying windower the controller doesn't work either, which led me to discovering the config tool reset. I'll confirm this when I play tonight.

Quote:
Windower doesn't mess with the registry entries for controller configuration. Perhaps you have some kind of overzealous registry protection program.

I consider this, since I'm overly paranoid and run a separate user without admin controls on my PC. However I do run the game and windower as Administrator. That said there still could be an issue here as I am unable to permanently set the config tool, POL or windower to run as Admin.

Quote:
Windows 10 has a glitch sometimes with controllers, the current test build has a supposed fix for it.

Also you may want to read this thread:

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/44293/ps3-controller-driver-ffxi/

But the 360 controller should just work, granted the x-input box is checked.

Thanks for the link, reading through it now. I'll confirm when I'm back at my computer that I have the correct fix to support controllers on windows 10.

I'm assuming you are using a hard wired xbox360 controller?
 Sylph.Rofel
By Sylph.Rofel 2016-04-12 09:35:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
You need to open playonline config and set the controller and whatever, none of that matter except that pmayonline first recognizes its a f710.
And then u save out and open ffxi config.
If you use a premade setting it will f*** ur day, set each button the way you would like it, proving to both urself and the game that each button is where u want it. 'Button1,2,3,4,5' is just nonsence. I noticed with some of f710 in my past a button has been button 1, button 3, button 2. So dont trust premade settings.
If u calibrate ur controller manually and confirm config recognizes it, you should have no problems in the game. Of you arent using steam make sure u run as administrator.

This is where I started before having the issue with windower. Alternate Setup C is the only mode that would allow the F710 to work with FFXI. No real reason why, I just found that it finally worked.

The manual calibration via windows in the "controller" has always worked. It's the FFXI config tool that has given me trouble since I came back and now play on Windows 10.
 Sylph.Rofel
By Sylph.Rofel 2016-04-12 15:07:01
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem is resolved.

Windower4 was loading the config tool (ipadconfig) from the ToolsEU folder. POL was using the ipadconfig from ToolsUS. Once I enabled the gamepad in ToolsEU and set the proper configuration it works with windower.

Thanks so much for all of the input.

Thanks! ^^
By Jetackuu 2016-04-12 15:07:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Why is your windower launching the EU version?
 Sylph.Rofel
By Sylph.Rofel 2016-04-12 15:21:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I moved to the EU recently for work. I installed FFXI while back in the US and windower while I was here in the EU. I didn't make that correlation until I looked at the file folders. I assume that because my IP registered from the EU the windower EU version downloaded.
By Jetackuu 2016-04-12 15:30:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Eh I don't think it will change anything, but Byrth could probably tell you if you should "fix" it.

Glad that it's working now though.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [662 days between previous and next post]
 Odin.Coorslite
Server: Odin
user: coorslite
By Odin.Coorslite 2018-02-03 09:10:56
Link | Quote | Reply

ok i know this fourm is old but i cant get the ximput to work on my wifes laptop the ximput is grayed out can anyone help???