Prime Resolution Set?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Prime Resolution set?
Prime Resolution set?
First Page 2 3
 Sylph.Fudan
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Crion
By Sylph.Fudan 2016-03-10 04:03:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Just lookin for ideas on what the best overall set would be for Resolution now been away too long:(
 Odin.Sheelay
Server: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2016-03-10 05:19:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I believe Seething Bomblet +1, Fotia Gorget/Belt, Moonshade/Ishvara Earring, Niht Mantle, Argosy+1 set, Ifrit/Shukuyu/Karieyh Ring, would make the best set for high level content.

Not much of a DRK though, so perhaps some Argosy pieces could be changed to other stuff. For the remaining slots, however, I am pretty sure that's the right stuff.
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2016-03-10 06:19:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Ishvara Earring sucks for multi-hit WS's like resolution, the +WSD only applies to the first hit. It's usually Moonshade and then either Brutal, Cessance or Zwazo depending on what your build and target are.

This is what I use on my WAR which is virtually identical to whats on my DRK except the back piece. I will likely switch out my first earring for Cessance next time I update my GS.

{ammo="Seething bomblet +1",
head="Argosy Celata +1",
neck="Fotia gorget",
ear1="Zwazo earring +1",
ear2="Moonshade earring",
body="Argosy hauberk +1",
hands="Argosy mufflers +1",
ring1="Ifrit ring +1",
ring2="Shukuyu Ring",
back="Mauler's mantle",
waist="Fotia belt",
legs="Argosy breeches +1",
feet="Argosy sollerets +1"}
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2016-03-10 06:22:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Ishvara Earring sucks for multi-hit WS's like resolution, the +WSD only applies to the first hit. It's usually Moonshade and then either Brutal, Cessance or Zwazo depending on what your build and target are.

This is what I use on my WAR which is virtually identical to whats on my DRK except the back piece. I will likely switch out my first earring for Cessance next time I update my GS.

{ammo="Seething bomblet +1",
head="Argosy Celata +1",
neck="Fotia gorget",
ear1="Zwazo earring +1",
ear2="Moonshade earring",
body="Argosy hauberk +1",
hands="Argosy mufflers +1",
ring1="Ifrit ring +1",
ring2="Shukuyu Ring",
back="Mauler's mantle",
waist="Fotia belt",
legs="Argosy breeches +1",
feet="Argosy sollerets +1"}

Aaaah, I wasn't sure about Ishvara earring's dmg applying to just the 1st hit or not, thanks for clarifying.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-03-10 06:36:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Sheelay said: »
Aaaah, I wasn't sure about Ishvara earring's dmg applying to just the 1st hit or not, thanks for clarifying.

In general, all +WSD only applies to first hit. Makes them great for WS's where the first hit has a high fTP but bad for multi-hits.
 Odin.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Odin.Geriond 2016-03-10 07:08:35
Link | Quote | Reply

If you aren't hurting for accuracy, then Brutal Earring will trump Zwazo +1 and Cessance.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-03-10 07:13:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Geriond said: »
If you aren't hurting for accuracy, then Brutal Earring will trump Zwazo +1 and Cessance.

*Cough*

Quote:
It's usually Moonshade and then either Brutal, Cessance or Zwazo depending on what your build and target are.

And it's completely stupid to ever mention "not needing accuracy" since practically everything in this game needs accuracy and DRK gets *** on accuracy gifts.
 Odin.Geriond
By Odin.Geriond 2016-03-10 07:34:25
Link | Quote | Reply

No, not really. Argosy +1 has quite a bit of accuracy by itself, and with sushi, a lot of enemies people would actually bring a DRK to can be melee'd just fine without making accuracy swaps from that set, like Zi'tah and Ru'aun T1 and T2s, Reisenjima T1s, most Unity below 135, and most HTB battlefields (other than NIN and THF mobs). You could probably do Reisenjima T2s with that type of set with a Ragnarok 121 or well augmented Zulficar, too.

I admit I missed the first sentence, and only saw that you didn't mention Brutal below.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-03-10 07:47:25
Link | Quote | Reply

No, not really. Argosy +1 quite a bit of accuracy by itself, and wish sushi, a lot of enemies people would actually bring a DRK to can be melee'd just fine without making accuracy swaps from that set, like Zi'tah and Ru'aun T1 and T2s, Reisenjima T1s, most Unity below 135, and most HTB battlefields (other than NIN and THF mobs).

You could probably do Reisenjima T2s with that type of set with a Ragnarok 121 or well augmented Zulficar, too.

Yes really.

This isn't theory for me, this is something I've actually done. Your WS set needs to have the same accuracy as your TP set which it won't. Switching Brutal out for Cessance or even Zwazo +1 is the easiest swap you can make. Unless your only targets are 119~126 you need to think around accuracy in everything you do. And yes DRK gets *** in the accuracy gift department compared to other jobs.

DRK Gifts
30: Accuracy Bonus +3
280: Accuracy Bonus +5
780: Accuracy Bonus +6
1530: Accuracy Bonus +8
Total: 22

WAR Gifts (SAM and BLU gets the same)
30: Accuracy Bonus +5
280: Accuracy Bonus +8
780: Accuracy Bonus +10
1530: Accuracy Bonus +13
Total: 36

DRG Gifts
30: Accuracy Bonus +9
280: Accuracy Bonus +14
780: Accuracy Bonus +18
1530: Accuracy Bonus +23
Total: 64

It's people like you that give DRK a bad name by doing dumb ***like ignoring accuracy in favor or pure hitting power.
[+]
 Odin.Geriond
By Odin.Geriond 2016-03-10 09:33:22
Link | Quote | Reply

You're either underestimating how much accuracy Argosy +1 gives, or you're overestimating how much accuracy you need for content like I mentioned.

With a 0 +accuracy 119 great sword, that set you mentioned earlier would give me 1040 accuracy on Resolution. Now, add ~100-150 accuracy from vorseals, 10 from Hasso, 105 from Sushi, and you now have ~1250-1300. That's plenty for the things I mentioned. If you still wanted more, you could throw on a well-augmented Zulficar or 121 Ragnarok for +50-85 more accuracy, Diabolic Eye for +20-40, or Absorb-Acc for >+50.

You're not going to need 6 piddling accuracy for very much below Escha T3s/HELMs or 135 (and certain 128) Unities.
[+]
By maldini 2016-03-10 10:02:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't kill me, serious question here, but isn't DRK/WAR better than DRK/SAM in most content where you would bring a DRK anyways?
 Odin.Geriond
By Odin.Geriond 2016-03-10 10:13:31
Link | Quote | Reply

It sometimes does more damage, but Berserk and Last Resort's defense penalties are additive, so you have -60% defense whenever both are up, making you ridiculously vulnerable (and any notable defense debuff will put you below 200 defense). With that much defense down, getting oneshotted even with 50% PDT is a very real possibility.

Plus, when Last Resort is down, Hasso is about a 30% DPS increase (if you have capped gear and magical haste).
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-03-10 10:20:46
Link | Quote | Reply

You're either underestimating how much accuracy Argosy +1 gives, or you're overestimating how much accuracy you need for content like I mentioned.

I happen to have full Argosy +1 along with AG Rag. 6 (3% hit rate) acc > 2% DA when not capped. 12 acc (6% hit rate) > 5% DA when not capped.

You need 1130~1150 accuracy before food or any other buff for anything greater then ~128.

As I said this isn't theory for me, it's actual in game content I participate on.

maldini said: »
Don't kill me, serious question here, but isn't DRK/WAR better than DRK/SAM in most content where you would bring a DRK anyways?

Depends on if you need the 15 store TP or not. Activating both Berserk and LR is a death sentence, don't do it. Berserk is the best reason to go /WAR. /SAM gives you a good chunk of Store TP though Hasso is devalued by LR. Here is the issue with Hasso, it's effectively -100 Fast Cast which really screws with your Drain II / Drain III MB's for HP. Without that HP buff your going to be forced to play defensively or just not use LR, which really defeats the entire purpose of bringing DRK to begin with.

This is how much -35% defense hurts you.
100/(100-35) = 1.538 (53.8% attack boost)
100/(100-60) = 2.5 (150% attack boost)

That is the same as giving the enemy 53.8% more attack which with the enemy 4.0 ratio cap means your going to be taking a lot more damage and since you don't have HP bonus worth a damn you are likely to get one shoted. Now if you can MB a NV DS Drain III then you'll have 5000~9999 HP which means that while you still take more damage, you have the HP buffer to soak it and not get instantly splatted when you pull hate on Hanbi.

Anyhow I doubt the guy above actually plays DRK now, the thinking that 1050 base accuracy is somehow "good" is hilarious. 1100 base is the absolute lowest to even begin thinking about bigger things. 1150 base is the real target. It's why I have a ***ton of accuracy on all my Valorous / Odyssean gear.

Valorous Mask (Accuracy +22 Attack +30 Store TP +4) (TP for when I need more STP)
Valorous Mask (STR +12 Acc +31 Attack +25) (Normal TP Piece)
Valorous Mail (DEX +4 Accuracy +32 Attack +24 Crit +3%) (TP/WS piece depending)
Valorous Mitts (VIT +11 Accuracy +35 Attack +30 Crit +1%)
Valorous Hose (Accuracy +29 Attack +34 PDT -4) (DT piece)
Valorous Greaves (STR +7 Accuracy +35 Attack +23 Store TP +7) (TP Piece)

Odyssean Chestplate (DEX +6 Accuracy +27 Store TP +6) (WS Piece)
Odyssean Gauntlets (STR +1 Accuracy +25 Attack +34 WSD +3%) (WS piece)
Odyssean Cuisses (VIT +7 Accuracy +31 Attack +29 Store TP +4) (TP Piece)

DRK already struggles for accuracy compared to other jobs, so extra special attention needs to be made that your multi-hit WS's have the same accuracy as the TP set your going to be using, which should be 1100~1150 base. Ele gorget / belt each give +10 WS accuracy, so don't forget to factor that in.
 Odin.Geriond
By Odin.Geriond 2016-03-10 10:40:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, I know that you need more for 135+ stuff, but how often does Dark Knight even get invited to those? I've certainly never seen any DRKs used against the likes of Schah, Teles, Yakshi, or even enemies like Vir'ava. Even 135 unities done melee style bring THFs or BLUs almost every time.

On the vast majority of stuff you'd actually bring a DRK to, a basic set is plenty, especially if you're using a weapon with accuracy on it.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-03-10 10:49:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, I know that you need more for 135+ stuff, but how often does Dark Knight even get invited to those? I've certainly never seen any DRKs used against the likes of Schah, Teles, Yakshi, or even enemies like Vir'ava. Even 135 unities done melee style bring THFs or BLUs almost every time.

On the vast majority of stuff you'd actually bring a DRK to, a basic set is plenty, especially if you're using a weapon with accuracy on it.

No melee goes to 145+ stuff, 1800~2000+ accuracy needed is out of reach. I've been bringing Uber-RAG WAR to 130-135 content and smashing it. You need 1300~1500 total accuracy depending, which is why 1150 and not 1050 is the base. I eat meat on anything under T2 Reisenjima, that is where I need to use sushi. My goal is to eventually use it on Maju.

Nobody cares how much damage you do to a Delve monster. We do care how much you do to things 128~135. SR, VD BC's, T2 NM's and even Apex mobs. You can mass murder Apex mobs with a 4 step SC and appropriate attack buffs without needing magic busters. Really important considering virtually all nukers have already hit 2K+ JP so finding them is hard.
[+]
 Odin.Geriond
By Odin.Geriond 2016-03-10 11:37:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Using sublime sushi and swapping in less accuracy will almost always outperform using meat on mobs you need noticeably more accuracy than baseline on, and you don't need more than 1050 to 1100 or so before sushi to cap hit rate against Apex mobs, SR, VD BCs, 95% of Unities below 135, and Escha T2 mobs (if you have good vorseals). For example, I did a few VD Ramuhs last night, and 1070 accuracy gave me a parsed 95% hit rate.

They're not that evasive until you get to 135 Unities and T3/HELM Escha mobs, which is where the huge jump is. Yes, you need to throw on lots of extra accuracy gear for those, but not for the vast majority of stuff you bring DRKs to.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-03-10 11:47:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Now your just talking out your *** to avoid looking bad for assuming Delve as the hardest thing you will do.

1100 is the baseline to even participate, 1150 is what you should be aiming for. This is from experience having killed virtually everything using melee except 145+ stuff.

Your using *** Acro/Yorim in your sets. No wonder you can't hit for ***and push others to do likewise.

To everyone else, if your serious about using any melee in current content then you need to focus on gearing around accuracy. You need to hit 1100 to walk out your MH and not be a leech. The party should not be nerfing it's buff cycle just because a melee can't be assed to gear themselves properly. So do /checkparam standing outside your MH without any food or buffs and make sure you are hitting that minimum. You then chose your food based on the content your participating in and what buffs will be available to you. Buffs like Hunters and Precision / Torpor should be avoided whenever possible in favor of Chaos / Fury / Fraility. Especially Fraility, defense down stacking yields tremendous returns.
[+]
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2016-03-10 12:18:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I ran out of popcorn ,_,
[+]
 Bismarck.Gippali
Server: Bismarck
user: Gippali
By Bismarck.Gippali 2016-03-10 12:56:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Using sublime sushi and swapping in less accuracy will almost always outperform using meat on mobs you need noticeably more accuracy than baseline on, and you don't need more than 1050 to 1100 or so before sushi to cap hit rate against Apex mobs, SR, VD BCs, 95% of Unities below 135, and Escha T2 mobs (if you have good vorseals). For example, I did a few VD Ramuhs last night, and 1070 accuracy gave me a parsed 95% hit rate.

They're not that evasive until you get to 135 Unities and T3/HELM Escha mobs, which is where the huge jump is. Yes, you need to throw on lots of extra accuracy gear for those, but not for the vast majority of stuff you bring DRKs to.

This thread has been a great break from my work, but you really need to stop.
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2016-03-10 13:53:24
Link | Quote | Reply

so a guy walks in to an ffxi forum looking for a reso set and...

[+]
 Odin.Geriond
By Odin.Geriond 2016-03-10 14:20:59
Link | Quote | Reply

You seem to think that I'm whiffing on things (and you seem to have ignored the list of stuff I'm talking about, because it's not Delve) that I fight, or that I'm requiring babying with accuracy buffs, but I'm not. I have many melee sets for differing accuracy requirements, and properly augmented Acro and Yorium are quite excellent on lower evasion enemies, including most VD battlefields and (with vorseals) most T1/2 Escha/Reisenjima mobs. Your claims that I'm not packing enough accuracy don't exactly mean much when I'm parsing at cap without the need for outside buffs (and on the few where that isn't enough, then I just use one of my higher accuracy sets).

If I'm actually fighting enemies like Vir'ava, Sarama, or Shedu, then yes, I pack on a heck of a lot more accuracy (I can get up to about 1180 before food or buffs), but I rarely see groups that would take a DRK over a THF or BLU.
By cervelo84 2016-03-26 21:58:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Saevel is point on and also if you take your job serious people notice will line up support around you so that you can take that job to specific high end content.

I brought monk to high end stuff the other day. Also Saevel said he has +1 set so that is an insane boost for DRK.

Point is if you take your job serious and work hard enough to make it the best you will get into whatever you desire.

I am finished with my monk (vere afterglow) and now am setting my sights on DRK. I think DRK can get higher acc then monk but monk has more acc abilities.

Do you guys think it's worth dropping the time and the $$ ( 200 mil gil I think? ) to get DRK Apoc up to afterglow? I know they hit like a truck and the WSDMG beats MNK and SAM by a longshot. What do you guys think?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-03-26 22:48:05
Link | Quote | Reply

What does anything you just posted have to do with Resolution?
[+]
By cervelo84 2016-03-27 05:47:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I can say the same about your post Nightfyre. Thread is over I just want an opinion from Saevel.
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Creaucent
By Creaucent Alazrin 2016-03-27 06:47:08
Link | Quote | Reply

cervelo84 said: »
Saevel is point on and also if you take your job serious people notice will line up support around you so that you can take that job to specific high end content.

I brought monk to high end stuff the other day. Also Saevel said he has +1 set so that is an insane boost for DRK.

Point is if you take your job serious and work hard enough to make it the best you will get into whatever you desire.

I am finished with my monk (vere afterglow) and now am setting my sights on DRK. I think DRK can get higher acc then monk but monk has more acc abilities.

Do you guys think it's worth dropping the time and the $$ ( 200 mil gil I think? ) to get DRK Apoc up to afterglow? I know they hit like a truck and the WSDMG beats MNK and SAM by a longshot. What do you guys think?

As much as I love Scythes and i loved my Apoc it's not the beast it once was your time and money would be better spent making and upgrading a Ragnarok or a Liberator.

That being said Apoc is my only REM at 119 so if I ever came back I would probably work on upgrading it myself.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-03-27 11:08:19
Link | Quote | Reply

A friend of mine has AG'd Apoc and it's pretty beastly. The AM being JA haste along with acc +15 actually makes it useful plus the weapon itself has a ***ton of accuracy and 269 skill. Scythe is really good at making darkness SC's which DRK then use's to keep it's HP at abnormally high levels.
By Blazed1979 2016-03-27 12:24:09
Link | Quote | Reply

AG Apoc DRK is a thing of beauty. They don't die!!
Its the cata spam...I hear that ws's sound effect in my sleep. Best damn weapon in the game.
 Asura.Failaras
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2016-03-27 14:03:26
Link | Quote | Reply

The cool thing is, you can do the same thing using an actual weapon with a trust NPC healer! They just don't die!
 Shiva.Flowen
Server: Shiva
user: Flowen255
By Shiva.Flowen 2016-03-27 17:09:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »

A friend of mine has AG'd Apoc and it's pretty beastly. The AM being JA haste along with acc +15 actually makes it useful plus the weapon itself has a ***ton of accuracy and 269 skill. Scythe is really good at making darkness SC's which DRK then use's to keep it's HP at abnormally high levels.

HP which is at 9999 from self dark mb drain 3! Apoc is epic
 Shiva.Flowen
Server: Shiva
user: Flowen255
By Shiva.Flowen 2016-03-27 17:26:45
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't make an apoc for the best damage but being able to full cure yourself on a 4hit build and the most job ability haste in the game is crazy utility. And it's not like it's bad dmg, it'll be right up there with other choices. I hate it when people comment like one weapon is garbage because it's behind another option in terms of potential damage output alone. The best relics have always been the ones that offer utility
[+]
First Page 2 3