Dark Knight as a Tank
 Valefor.Angelous
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Angelus
By Valefor.Angelous 2015-12-11 01:46:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey All,

I was wanting to know if anyone has taken the job to a tanking role? I know you would probably need to stack on -pdt and -dt gear. But was curious if anyone tried it out and if what their choice of weapon they used such as Scythe or Greatsword.
[+]
By geigei 2015-12-11 02:03:38
Link | Quote | Reply

You're not ready to let go.
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
Server: Lakshmi
user: ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2015-12-11 02:15:01
Link | Quote | Reply

You could probly tank on drk. You will need a full DT set my set I am currently at 42% DT and I can get that to 50%. Then get apoc. the drain effect on catastrophy is really handy. many times i have gone from almost dead to full health with 1 WS. The problem is holding hate if you want to tank. You will be fine on lower lvl content just don't expect to tank anything big
MSPaint Winner
By Skjalfeirdotter 2015-12-11 02:19:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Any job can tank (or do anything else) with the right amount of skill, gear, strategy, effort, situation, etc. --- it is just a question of how well it can do that thing and how hard you want to try / how much support you have. :3
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2015-12-11 02:22:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm afraid you're more than half a decade late to this party.
[+]
 Bahamut.Vinedrius
Server: Bahamut
user: Devrom
By Bahamut.Vinedrius 2015-12-11 02:37:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Most native hate tools of drk (enfeebling and dark magic) were nerfed to almost nothingness in terms of enmity long time ago, but with the enmity updates, it is technically much easier to hold hate once again (with proper gearing etc). DRK actually has more self-defense tools then most DDs. Stun alone is a massive game changer where applicable. The main problem would be game over moves from high-end stuff and there isn't much your DT gear and defensive buffs can do against those. As long as sticking to low men tanking against more controllable stuff, DKR should be totally fine with enough dedication to the task. But who really cares about DRK that hardcore anymore? 5 people in the whole game?
 Phoenix.Urteil
Server: Phoenix
user: Urteil89
By Phoenix.Urteil 2015-12-11 05:01:28
Link | Quote | Reply

If you are good at PDT swapping and make a Stun toggle for enmity spikes among a few other things. You can go much farther than this than most know. I've tanked Sinister Reign this way holding hate reliably with sword and board/2hand. Many T1/T2 Escha NM's, apex parties etc. I find myself a very good safety in events where I can grab a straggling mob or hold an add/boss away for some reason. If ***hits the fan I don my tanking booties and try to shovel the *** off our port side.

First thing you need to look into is to get a -100% interruption set via the eschite gear, the founder's hose and impatiens. With this and a good Fastcast set you can never be interrupted with spells of your choosing. I am pretty sure, that before the eschite gear was introduced achieving this on DRK was impossible. When subbing blue mage, ninja, white mage etc. . . it is nice to have certain spells be unstoppable: any enhancing, blue magic, ninjutsu (anything you want really as long as you know you are sacrificing potency) but in many of the useful cases this is irrelevant. Uninterrupted aqua-veil/erase/whatever-I-want changed my life.

Second, I like the steadfast shield. Seems like the best shield, but even when "tanking" I still use two handed weapons mostly. DRK when wielding a scythe basically has infinite MP. If you have good timing you can cast spells through melee strikes, and spells with a longer cast time you can fall on your -interrupt set.

Third, you need an enmity set for aspir, stun, flash (at least) and also some way to toggle enmity sets into applicable spells versus spell potency.

Absorb-TP can be a strong hate spell. Unlike the other absorb spells which produce less CE. I have not yet used this toggle since making it. With the other options I have for hate I just go for the potency.

WHM Currently I can CureIV myself for 900+~ with new gear. I have an enmity toggle for my cureIV too. I don't find myself needing that one as much as the others. Stuns and flashes build up a lot of hate, aspir is a good tool giving about 300~ enmity, Aspir II seems to work the same way. Granted the spells cast in enmity gear are not at their most potent, but we just need them to be cast for hate.

BLU has some really great enmity tools and with a enmity+ set they just keep hate so damn well. Cocoon is great of course but Wild Carrot is not as good as Cure IV and I find myself missing AquaV, Stoneskin and Blink I don't use this sub as often as /whm.

Then. . .
Of course, if the mob doesn't dispel and not immune to Drain with a dark SC I'm a God sitting at 4,000+ hp full time on a bad day, 9999 on a good one. But if those two things don't pan out you can survive a long time. I am not saying you need to have a giant Drain III to tank, I'm saying that when it does work, it is just ridiculous.

Tanking is quite possible with the native HP pool, and even if you could only get a 300~ Drain II/III on the mob, take it. 300HP is pretty sweet. I know jobs that would rob an orphanage blind for another 100hp.

But if you have a good way to switch in to hybrid/offense/turtle sets, and can time your PDT/MEVA with the mobs moves. You'll go very far. Will you be the best tank? No, but it is better than nothing for a lot of things, and in an emergency it works to grab hate so you can get your tank up and not wipe. Honestly, I am probably underselling it.

Also: Bio III -20% attack (Bio II takes the edge off too), Infernal Scythe -25% attack, and G-Wilt -toomuch% attack. These can be thrown into battle to help lower the monster damage and the party recover. Bio overwrites Dia for a reason. Pretty sure attack down is a water based effect, so even if infernal scythe gets resisted the additional effect lands on a lot of things, weird things even, things I never thought it could. . .

Q: What CAN'T you tank with 6000hp and 25%-50% DT?

A: Pretty much *** nothing.

Beware: you need be on point with your PDT/MDT swaps for mitigation, and have your enmity/interrupt stuff sorted out. Also, when holding hate, and trying to survive on DRK it is intensive that there is a very small margin for error against harder enemies.

In the end, if you cannot switch between using your spells for hate generation/utility or potency on the fly, don't do it.

If you want any more detailed information I would be happy to answer further questions just pm me.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-12-11 08:30:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey Urteil, dunno if you still record or not, but I would absolutely love to see a DRK tanking Sinister Reign. I remember seeing a video where a DRK bursted a Drain III and shot up to 9999hp, and I thought to myself "DRK has a shitton of tanking gear and tools, I bet they could tank pretty well." But no one really plays DRK hardcore anymore :/
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-12-11 09:26:36
Link | Quote | Reply

i remember back in the day when i was still soem what new having a drk eva set. Was my only job and i ended up doing a lot of stuff solo. It actually became pretty handy to have lol
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2015-12-11 22:07:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Sinister Reign has a lot of dispels so the HP boost isn't on a lot.
 Valefor.Angelous
Server: Valefor
user: Angelus
By Valefor.Angelous 2015-12-11 23:12:53
Link | Quote | Reply

damn how you get 6k hp without Drain 2 or 3?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-12-11 23:33:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
DRK is already the tank in a bad game. Why not just use PDT if you are taking damage and call it a day? There are real tanking jobs :P

I mean I know there is a fun aspect to it, but that is about it.

The fun aspect is the most important part. What's the point in playing if you aren't having fun?
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2015-12-12 00:03:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't have the HP boost on for the majority of the fight. It isn't essential to staying alive.