FFXI and X360 Wireless Gamepad after XInput patch
First Page 2 3
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2015-11-10 14:20:52
Link | Quote | Reply

So... anybody experiencing issues? Anybody finally able to use the triggers by enabling Xinput support?
By anderxero 2015-11-10 21:03:21
Link | Quote | Reply

My triggers work, but for some reason once I get into game it sets my main menu button to X (correct), window options button to Y (also correct), confirm button to B (should be A) and cancel to A (should be B).

They work correctly in PoL, but once the actual game loads, it goes wrong.
I tried editing them in the FFXIconfig, but those 4 buttons don't change once the game loads.
[+]
 Cerberus.Mrkillface
Server: Cerberus
user: bitchtits
By Cerberus.Mrkillface 2015-11-10 21:22:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I have the same problem. I've tried reversing A and B in FFXIconfig and also reversing them in the controller setting, but no matter what I do they stay opposite of what they should be in game.
By anderxero 2015-11-10 21:34:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Wish I knew where to find the actual config file... I'd see if I can modify it manually. Anyone know?
 leo
By leo 2015-11-10 23:33:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Uhhh ... Have you tried to change the pull down values?

Push "Alternate Setup E" button.

That should set you xinput pad with XBOX360 layout (A confirm, B cancel)

XBOX buttons are laid out like this: (at the driver/pad test window at the control panel)

__Y4
X3__B2
__A1

This is what FFXI setup *thinks* XBOX buttons are laid out like:

__Y3
X2__B1
__A4

Not exactly the same thing, eh?

So, if you push the "Alternate Setup E" button you will have the exact same button configuration as it has on the XBOX360. Leave or take.
 Carbuncle.Conini
Server: Carbuncle
user: Conini
By Carbuncle.Conini 2015-11-10 23:49:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Literally, I've tried every set up and reversing every button possible to try and fix the gamepad issues D: it just seems that right now:

.FFXIConfig menu is useless- it doesn't carry over to the game

.Gonna have to manually tamper with drivers because SE borked the gamepad settings (both my PS3, 360, and Xbox One controllers worked fine prior to this...)

Hopefully the upcoming emergency maintenance (never thought I'd say "yay" to maintenance) fixes the issues with FFXIConfig.
By anderxero 2015-11-11 00:22:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I've tried reassigning the buttons and choosing the different default configurations and it just ignores the change... at least when done thru the FFXIConfig. I haven't found a way to edit the settings any other way yet.
 Carbuncle.Conini
Server: Carbuncle
user: Conini
By Carbuncle.Conini 2015-11-11 05:43:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't see anyone post about this on the official forums so, I went ahead and did so:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/49120-Game-pad-and-FFXiPadConfig-not-working-correctly

As expected... maintenance didn't fix anything except... an earring >_>
 leo
By leo 2015-11-11 07:50:24
Link | Quote | Reply

It's possible that you're using the *wrong* setup utility.

In SE infinite wisdom they deemed that it was fit to have FFXI use three DIFFERENT registry trees for each regional variation of FFXI.

Go inside the game folder and execute the setup tool which matches the region of your PlayOnline client. It doesn't matter the region of your account, what matter is the region of your PlayOnline software.

Tools for Japan
ToolsUS for USA
ToolsEU for European

ALSO, if you're using the Steam version it *AGAIN* stores the settings at yet another place (for the three regions) and unfortunately it's possible to have two or more versions of the PlayOnline software installed at the same time, confusing the shortcuts and the tools. What matters is the region/type of the software being used to start FFXI.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-11-11 08:44:22
Link | Quote | Reply

leo said: »
It's possible that you're using the *wrong* setup utility.

In SE infinite wisdom they deemed that it was fit to have FFXI use three DIFFERENT registry trees for each regional variation of FFXI.

Go inside the game folder and execute the setup tool which matches the region of your PlayOnline client. It doesn't matter the region of your account, what matter is the region of your PlayOnline software.

Tools for Japan
ToolsUS for USA
ToolsEU for European

ALSO, if you're using the Steam version it *AGAIN* stores the settings at yet another place (for the three regions) and unfortunately it's possible to have two or more versions of the PlayOnline software installed at the same time, confusing the shortcuts and the tools. What matters is the region/type of the software being used to start FFXI.
^

Also I'm intrigued by this update, anyone got a link to a post about it?
By anderxero 2015-11-11 09:16:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried using each of those FFXiPadConfig tools and made sure that ALL of them were set to the desired button config... no change.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-11-11 09:42:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the problem is different.
If you use the PRE-SET setups, everything works.
But if you try to customize manually, any change you put from the pre-set won't be applied in-game.

For instance the Pre-Set E puts the "Confirm" button on B and the "Cancel" button on A.
When you test it it's the other way around, but in-game it's like that (like in the original japanese version).
If you try to customize that, that change (or any other change) won't be applied in-game.

I noticed that in the JP Pad config there are FIVE different pre defined setups plus a default one
Setup A
Setup B
Setup C
Setup D
Setup E

In the US and EU versions the D is missing.
 leo
By leo 2015-11-11 10:11:25
Link | Quote | Reply

anderxero said: »
I tried using each of those FFXiPadConfig tools and made sure that ALL of them were set to the desired button config... no change.

Non Steam and Steam versions of FFXI/PlayOnline store their settings at different registry keys regardless of region. So using non Steam mixed with Steam versions can cause settings problems.

I mean having vestiges of non Steam install on a computer which is using Steam install as main or the opposite could cause that problem.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-11-11 10:17:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyway for me everything is working fine.
Aside from A and B being swapped and aside from the fact that you cannot customize the presets.
 leo
By leo 2015-11-11 10:30:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Have you tried swapping the buttons layout on the pulldowns?
I was able to no problem. What OS are you on?

on my client the registry looks like this:

padmode000 1,1,0,0,0,1 (xinput, rumble)

padsin000 8,9,13,12,10,3,1,0,2,15,-1,-1,14,-33,-33,32,32,-36,-36,35,35,6,7,5,4,11,-1

(E button pressed, but changed to A=cancel and B=confirm, Japanese style)
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-11-11 11:43:34
Link | Quote | Reply

That's the setup for the US folder.
The EU one is different.

HKey Local Machine > Software > Wow6432Node > PlayonlineEU >

The structure from here onwards is different from the US and JP one (which is just like you said).
There is a sub folder for "Playonline Viewer" and another one for "Controller".
There each button has a different key.
I tried swapping Confirm and Cancel there, but nothing happens when I'm in game sadly.

I tried to swap 1 and 2 in the US folder too thinking "maybe my game uses the US controller profile!" but no change either.

Basically anything I customize manually be it through the FFXI controller app or through registry, gets ignored in game.
The only change that works is using the presets. They work flawleslly, but can't customize anything.

After 13 years being used to Cancel on B and Confirm on A, my body activates itself before my brain, if you get what I mean. It's hard to get used to this different setup lol
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-11-11 11:48:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Nvm, found there's a "padsin" key for the EU version too.
Tried to change the key with the values you posted (it's just a small difference in that 1,3,2,0 section).
After this change if I go to the FFXI EU Pad Config and try the "test pad" I can see a reversed behaviour for Cancel and Confirm.

But when I'm in game, it's still Confirm on B and Cancel on A (japanese style).
It's like he's ignoring those registry settings.
 Ragnarok.Casey
Server: Ragnarok
user: Casey
By Ragnarok.Casey 2015-11-11 12:03:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Like any other game with shitty/hardcoded xinput support

Try x360ce

I assume you'll need to put it in the folder where xinput.dll is normally sitting, if that xinput.dll is the normal microsoft one.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-11-11 12:08:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Casey that might have solved the issue (issue of not being able to use Triggers in FFXI with an X360 pad) before the latest patch.
With the current patch they added Xinput support, so every button should work.
As a matter of fact it does, the problem is that there's some problem on their side and because of this bug the game is ignoring some local settings.

Or something like that.

And yeah anyway if you got a chance guys please try.
Try swapping from preset Default to Preset E or any other.
Game is gonna read that preset, but it won't read any customization/change you made on that preset.
Despite the controller app correctly updating the registries.

Either there's a second registry key somewhere and the game for some reason reads that, or I dunno what else it could be...
 Ragnarok.Casey
By Ragnarok.Casey 2015-11-11 12:29:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Using x360ce you can remap xinput buttons so you can press the physical "B" and it will send "A", and the opposite for the physical "A" button. This should work if you do that, sure, it won't fix the FFXI padconfig being broken, but FFXI itself won't be the wiser.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-11-11 12:45:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, if I can manage to do that if could be a nice temporary (potentially permanent :P) solution.

But how should I go? I never used this software before.
Do I have to put it in the same folder as the FFXI's xinputdll.dll file?
There are two, one in the main folder, and one inside each of the "TOOLS" folders (in my case it would be TOOLSEU)

After that from the default configuration I see "A" is associated with "Button 1" and "B" with "Button 2". I would only have to swap that to fix my issue, correct?
Can I do it real time after the game has loaded? Do I have to do it before?

Also I'm on Win 7 Pro 64bit but given how FFXI is a 32bit software I'm supposed to be using the 32bit version of Toca? (tried to launch it, it recognizes the pad just nice)
By Jetackuu 2015-11-11 12:57:04
Link | Quote | Reply

It overwrites the default 360 controller drivers, it's pretty simple.
 Ragnarok.Casey
By Ragnarok.Casey 2015-11-11 12:58:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Do I have to put it in the same folder as the FFXI's xinputdll.dll file?
Yeah, likely. You should also do it before, to be safe(I have never tested editing it in real time for any game). 32bit should be the case as well.

There's a decent chance you need to put it in the directory where pol.exe is though, so if it doesn't work try there.

Whenever I use this program I map the buttons 1:1 of how I want them to work, just in case it reads input incorrectly.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-11-11 13:24:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah but other than putting it in the game's folder and setting things like I want them to, do I have to do something?

Some option to inject its data or do I just need to keep the software loaded and he does all the work?
By Jetackuu 2015-11-11 13:27:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Yeah but other than putting it in the game's folder and setting things like I want them to, do I have to do something?

Some option to inject its data or do I just need to keep the software loaded and he does all the work?
The "software" is a custom driver, you set it and it's done, it doesn't need to be anywhere aside from installed. You have to uninstall the M$ drivers first.

I'm going to play with all of this when I get home and try out my different controllers and see what's up.
 Ragnarok.Casey
By Ragnarok.Casey 2015-11-11 13:30:04
Link | Quote | Reply

There is basically no configuration beyond what you've done already. The only thing you might have to do is let it create different versions of the xinput dll if it doesn't already. Google is a friend, here.
 leo
By leo 2015-11-11 15:09:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
That's the setup for the US folder.
The EU one is different.

HKey Local Machine > Software > Wow6432Node > PlayonlineEU >

The structure from here onwards is different from the US and JP one (which is just like you said).
There is a sub folder for "Playonline Viewer" and another one for "Controller".
There each button has a different key.
I tried swapping Confirm and Cancel there, but nothing happens when I'm in game sadly.

I tried to swap 1 and 2 in the US folder too thinking "maybe my game uses the US controller profile!" but no change either.

Basically anything I customize manually be it through the FFXI controller app or through registry, gets ignored in game.
The only change that works is using the presets. They work flawleslly, but can't customize anything.

After 13 years being used to Cancel on B and Confirm on A, my body activates itself before my brain, if you get what I mean. It's hard to get used to this different setup lol

The registry entry you listed is for the PlayOnline viewer software. :)
By Jetackuu 2015-11-11 15:17:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, POL config =/= FFXI config.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-11-11 16:10:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I found it in the post below, but FFXI (game) ignores the settings there, even if they get correctly updated/written by the FFXI pad config software.

FFXI game just ignores any customized settings (wether it comes from the software or manually from the registries) and exclusively uses the last preset you chose, whatever it is.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2015-11-11 16:14:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Did S-E patch in Xbox 360 controller support finally?
First Page 2 3