2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Bard » Legs for Debuffs on Monsters
Legs for Debuffs on Monsters
By Warviper 2014-09-01 03:20:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi guys.

I cant decide whats best - to average out Wind instrumental and Singing skill or to max Wind instrumental at 453 for men and keep singing at 419 !?!?

Its in regards to landing songs on monsters in Delve 2.0 etc.
Should i stick to legs with singing skill?:
http://www.ffxiah.com/item/11133/aoidos-rhing-2

Or stack all the wind instrumental i can and thus change legs to:
http://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Brioso_Cannions
?

Anyone know what would be best?

Or should i just go for whatever gives me the combined biggest number ??
 Bahamut.Malothar
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Malithar
By Bahamut.Malothar 2014-09-01 03:51:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm no Brd, but I was always under the impression the skills are 1:1, just that singing works for both wind and string.

Brioso would win no doubt, 14 Chr and +3 skill at the loss of -1 MAcc.

The best available is Mes'yohi Slacks for most jobs, barring a really good MAcc aug on Hagondes, but no love for Brd on those.
 Cerberus.Flaminglegion
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Flaminglegion 2014-09-01 04:35:40
Link | Quote | Reply

bihu cannions +1 (outside of day proc on mes'yohi slacks)
By Warviper 2014-09-01 05:10:37
Link | Quote | Reply

So Bihu Cannions +1 with all the Magic ACC would be better than http://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Brioso_Cannions even though Brioso has Wind Instrumental skill on it??
 Cerberus.Spirachub
user: Spiraboo
By Cerberus.Spirachub 2014-09-01 05:10:43
Link | Quote | Reply

No one knows for sure how skill/CHR relates to macc. So when you choose your gearset it's probably safe to assume skill=CHR=macc. You should go for whatever gives you the biggest number in total. Bihu Cannions +1 is your best choice
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2014-09-01 05:55:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Chance to stick a debuff on a target depends on several factors.
If we want to simplify it we could say that your "final accuracy" depends on the sum of the following aspects:

1) Your singing skill + your skill with the currently used instrument (Wind for flutes, String for harps)
2) Your CHR
3) Your Magic Accuracy

So you kinda have to evaluate all of these aspects when you want to decide which piece is going to be better than what.
You can't compare them 1:1 sadly, or it would be much easier.

So what you need is the different ratio so you can compare one stat to another.

1) Skills => Singing is the most valuable, it works on everything. Wind and String can be situationally very useful but you need to pay attention. Majority of time you'll be casting songs with a Flute (Wind skill) instrument, but there might be situations where you want to use a String one, for instance to increase the range of Horde Lullaby. In such a situation an item with +wind skill would be worthless. Vice-versa or items with +string skill.
Furthermore, afaik skill converts to macc 1:1 up to level ~200 (I think?) but past that each point of skill is roughly 0.9 macc. (please someone correct me!)

2) Your CHR gets compared to your target's CHR. According to this, you get an increase chance to stick your song. I never saw very detailed tests on this thing, but from very old posts and from my own and other players experiences, I always go the impression that the lowest your CHR was compared to your target's, the more 1 additional point of CHR mattered. In such a situation possibly worth even more than 1 Macc. Vice-versa, the higher you go above your target's CHR, the lower impact an additional point of CHR will have (i.e. less worth than 1 point of macc). This is not confirmed 100%, just my personal experience.
It has to be said though that first: all post-SoA items have CHR in one form or another (almost), second: you will hardly find post-SoA targets where your CHR will be higher than the target's (on targets that matter, of course), so I think CHR will always be pretty valuable

3) Macc is very linear. It doesn't have the "dynamic" worth of CHR and Skills, so it's certainly the most reliable stat to be aiming for. In spite of this, I still feel that CHR cannot be completely ignored or underestimated.

These are just my two cents, hope someone will be able to fix my errors.
Oh! Last but not least, for your legs slot I'd get Bihu Cannions. Inventory saver and awesome piece for several situations (increased SV duration, decent TP items, nice for PDT, nice for Mordant Rime and arguably best item for debuffs atm)
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2014-09-01 06:12:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
You can't compare them 1:1 sadly, or it would be much easier.
Actually you can, and as a matter of fact I do it often.
It gives approximate results of course, but it's ok to get a general idea.

For instance:

Brioso => 37 (52 for Wind instrument)
Bihu => 60
Aoidos => 17
Mes'yoshi => 39 (64 during the right day)
 Cerberus.Spirachub
user: Spiraboo
By Cerberus.Spirachub 2014-09-01 06:28:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Did you just disagree with yourself? XD
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2014-09-01 06:29:56
Link | Quote | Reply

lol!
No I just re-read that part and thought I was being too anal in the first post.
Yes, doing a comparison that way won't be absolutely exact because of several factors, but if you accept the implied approximation it can still be good to get a general idea of how piece A compares to piece B.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-01 06:56:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Reain
Server: Sylph
user: dmregm
By Sylph.Reain 2014-09-01 07:36:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends on what you want.
bihu cannions +1 for M.acc
aoidos' rhingrave +2 for recast
Marduk's shalwar +1 for duration

For high level monsters and NMs Bihu Cannions +1 are probably best but you could probably work the rest of your set around what you choose. Most likely you won't need M.acc whilst troubadour is up.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2014-09-01 08:51:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Think he was kinda asking for debuff, since he was talking about macc and chr, so we can rule Marduk out.
Aoidos could be useful for the -6 seconds delay, compared to the 5% haste from Bihu Legs, that should be much better.
But despite its very very very situational use, honestly I'd still put my money on Bihu legs and wait for reforged empyrean if you really want to use Aoidos legs (which you still have to use for Ballads anyway)
 Lakshmi.Fobby
Server: Lakshmi
user: Fobby
By Lakshmi.Fobby 2014-09-01 21:35:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally I stick with bihu+1 as my general debuff gear for elegy nocturne, requiem, threnody. For lullabies, I swap on marduk+1. Finale is special in which I equip all possible -song recast delay gear(aoidos) which I've now gotten to a 3 seconds recast for when mobs need a slap in the face for being bad.
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2014-09-01 21:48:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure Mes'yohi slacks are just +25 during corresponding day, not 20 + 25
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2014-09-02 05:59:00
Link | Quote | Reply

While it wouldn't be the first (or the last) piece to follow those rules, it would be pretty lame as well =/

Altough in all honesty call me stupid but I don't really care for a piece that gets really good only for one hour every eight hours.
I don't really have the inventory space to afford that or the will to create complicated rules in my Lua just to handle such a rare exception.