PDT Pet Axes Go Or No?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Beast Master » PDT pet axes go or no?
PDT pet axes go or no?
By MissSteph 2014-06-27 19:19:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I am returning to the game after a two-three year break and am amazed by all the new gear for jobs. It all looks very nice and makes me sad some of the gear I worked so hard for is obsolete now. So my question is this, are the pet PDT axes still worth using or is there a way to upgrade them for today's content?
By ScaevolaBahamut 2014-06-27 19:25:13
Link | Quote | Reply

no and no

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By MrIdea 2014-06-27 19:28:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Toss.
The axes were only great in Abbysea solo content.

PDT isnt needed anymore because before Ilevel, we played our stregnth in turtling.

With an ilevel 125+ pet, you can destroy Abbysea content with sheer dmg.
By MissSteph 2014-06-27 20:32:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Right on, thanks for all your input. :D
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2014-06-27 20:59:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Keep one for offhand.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Falkirk
Guide Maker
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Falkirk
By Quetzalcoatl.Falkirk 2014-06-27 21:43:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it would be better to kill 30~35% faster with a proper offhand, rather than take slightly less damage.
 Odin.Phunkism
Server: Odin
user: phunky
By Odin.Phunkism 2014-06-27 21:56:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd keep one for the rare occasions you need to run away from the mob and regain your health. You can keep a ilvl 119 on your mainhand and just macro in your pdt axe in your offhand.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Falkirk
Guide Maker
By Quetzalcoatl.Falkirk 2014-06-27 22:08:38
Link | Quote | Reply

+'d

In that context, I agree! :)

Though I personally still wouldn't due to inventory/TP loss.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Phunkism
By Odin.Phunkism 2014-06-27 22:21:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Your pet would delvl to the lvl of your mainhand. So your trading off 19 levels or 11% pdt. The best axes currently for just turtling would be Izizoski in the main hand and a pdt/mdb- astolfo in the offhand.
[+]
By MrIdea 2014-06-27 23:05:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I like to think, if I had to hold onto 2 pdt-11% axes for Ohshnap situations, it'd serve me better to just have 2 extra dawn mulsims. =).

Remember, the pet PDT set was good because we could cap pet pdt in abby as well as the fact that they were pretty good @99 dual wield DD axes.

This does not translate well into Ilevel, because we can't DW PDT while maintaining ilevel; as Phunk said previously.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [108 days between previous and next post]
 Alexander.Jaydee
Server: Alexander
user: Rigidd
By Alexander.Jaydee 2014-10-14 09:42:50
Link | Quote | Reply

hello, this is a little bit off topic, but related to switching main hand weapons.

from above posts i can see that changing from a ilvl weapon to a non-ilvl will de-level the pet.

if you re-equip the ilvl axe, will the pet "re-level"

i am looking to do some farming in abyssea, which will require some weapon changing for red procs and not sure how this ilvl stuff will effect it.
 Quetzalcoatl.Falkirk
Guide Maker
By Quetzalcoatl.Falkirk 2014-10-14 16:51:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, it will "re-level". :)
 Alexander.Jaydee
Server: Alexander
user: Rigidd
By Alexander.Jaydee 2014-10-14 18:25:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Sweet. Ty
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [35 days between previous and next post]
 Leviathan.Goldengreg
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Goldengreg 2014-11-18 10:53:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Whoa, nice thread!

I'm a returner, just played a few days thanks to the free login campaign of the week.

I stopped in 2011 with the birth of my son, as one does not simply "pause" the action in FFXI.

And this weekend, I felt the game incredibly smoother and easier to exp with the "missions" like "gather x crystals" and "kill x ennemies", and went from 90to 95 in 2 days alone, fighting EP to warm up and get back the old habits.
I beat genkai 10 yesterday and just dinged 97. I'm hooked again, and will definitely be back now that the game is more friendly to casual solo players...

The thing is, I'm totally oblivious to the priorities of a bst today.
For example, I was farming Soil Geode for 2 hours saturday when I saw this thread about "no more pdt axes", wich made me guess that now, the pet summoned is as strong as the main weapon, wich can go over 99?

SO it's me, a casual BST who enjoys pwning old scenarios (cleared Aht Urgan alone @90) and who don't have a clue on what he should get to be decent geared.

Here I am:
ItemSet 330731

In 2011 I remember getting papers(?) from NMs to get some Abyssea AF but quit before I couldn't complete any, and I'm not sure if they even are what I need now... so if you have any advices on what I should and can get without raising an army, please let me know as I'm not sure of what to do with all those new points and Mog Pellet, etc... >.<
I bought a head with feathers, I look like an apache chief but I don't remember the name of the item... it sounded cool stat-wise when I was 95, but I assume it's already out-of-date...?
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2014-11-18 11:25:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Welcome back! I'm not the best bst, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but your priority is probably going to be:

Get to 99 > start Adoulin content (spending imprinaturs) > Wildskeeper reives/sparks for Eminent weapon/gear > AF1/AF2 SKCNM fights/Skirmish > Delve/whatever/making gil

As far as pet pdt axes, you can offhand one for pet-only fights. You need your main hand to bring your pet over level 99. Keep in mind though that there is a lot less pet-only content. The only time I do pet-only stuff is Odin2 fight. New ilvl gear makes players very tough when facing older content.

Here are my basic (not perfect and not updated to latest gear) farming sets to get you an idea of the kind of gear that you'd be aiming for, TP and then Ruinator:

ItemSet 321201

ItemSet 321203

Those axes can be augmented with crit+4 and occasionally attacks twice. They are fantastic for the kind of content that 99% of bsts are doing. I usually use a 119 axe in my main hand, though, Izizoeksi. Head and feet are augmented with STR+8.

You can get a lot of gear on BST by solo/low-man. Sparks gear is a good starting point, and bayld gear for weaponskill sets. Beastmaster is still a very good way to make money, by the way. Get ilvl gear, farm Salvage 2 and Dynamis. You can make a couple million gil a day towards upgrades.

Best of luck to you :)
 Leviathan.Goldengreg
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Goldengreg 2014-11-24 03:57:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you so much, now I have something to work on!

For the offhand -pdt, shall I lvl it up to 119 or the extra 1% of pdt is not worth the effort?
By Voren 2014-11-24 06:11:14
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're asking about the magian -pdt axes, the trials don't go past 99. I've seen where most have said go with a i119 offhand as well, some have said situational. The consensus has been keep the magian weapons just in case, but use both high end weapons (i119 x2).

Side note: would be awesome if SE made the magian trials i119. Would give another option for casual players to help get better weapons later on.
 Bahamut.Arciele
Server: Bahamut
user: Spira
By Bahamut.Arciele 2014-11-30 01:02:05
Link | Quote | Reply

MrIdea said: »
Toss.
The axes were only great in Abbysea solo content.

PDT isnt needed anymore because before Ilevel, we played our stregnth in turtling.

With an ilevel 125+ pet, you can destroy Abbysea content with sheer dmg.

i havent touched BST in a while so this is still kinda confusing to me..

how do you get an ilvl 125+ pet? i was under the impression the pet caps at your axe level, for which the max is 119?
does BA merits allow you to surpass that or what?
 Odin.Phunkism
By Odin.Phunkism 2014-11-30 02:26:47
Link | Quote | Reply

119 is the cap for pets currently. BA merits will allow you to make your pet 119 if his natural cap is lower than that. If the jug naturally caps at 119 the BA mertis don't do anything.
[+]
 Siren.Kenesu
Server: Siren
user: iKhaos
By Siren.Kenesu 2014-11-30 02:48:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Leaforb stone +2
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-11-30 04:29:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Voren said: »
Side note: would be awesome if SE made the magian trials i119. Would give another option for casual players to help get better weapons later on.
This.
One of the reasons I was very disappointed in coming back; couldn't just pick up and work on these, they just died at 99.
[+]
By Voren 2014-11-30 04:59:30
Link | Quote | Reply

There'd be way too much backlash if they did, the TP+100 GK was a helluva weapon and was easy to get compared to R/E/M and could hold its own against them.

I don't know what SE's issue is, but considering all of the other sidegrades that have been done, it surprises me that they wouldn't upgrade those weapons.

I spent between an assload and a ***-ton on geodes and stones when the trials went 90-95-99, eva/pdt/mab daggers, eva/str/pdt/mab swords to name a few.

Now, my moogle uses them for home defense, but got ganked by some dude with an eminent dagger >.>
By Jetackuu 2014-11-30 05:31:50
Link | Quote | Reply

ugh, geodes...

my pdt- axes and str+ axe ; ;
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-11-30 13:10:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Voren said: »
Now, my moogle uses them for home defense, but got ganked by some dude with an eminent dagger >.>
Not sure if this is real thing, or making fun of current state of affairs in US.