Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » White Mage » Cure Cast Time Merits
Cure Cast Time Merits
By Caradog 2014-02-22 07:23:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Wonder if anybody knows whether the merits bypass the 80% fastcast cap? Otherwise I'm curious if it'd be worth dropping them for something else as reaching the cast time cap isn't really difficult anymore.

So any thoughts on this?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-02-22 07:43:21
Link | Quote | Reply

They don't bypass the cap.
 Phoenix.Peeroturo
Server: Phoenix
user: Chroph
By Phoenix.Peeroturo 2014-02-22 07:45:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I think cure spellcasting- and fast cast are multiplicative.
if you have a cure sc-20% and fast cast+80%, it will be reduced to 16%.
You can instant cast cure wuth cure sc-80% gears and -20% merits. But not with some FC and some cure sc-. I'll do some tests later and will tell you more.
 Leviathan.Multiabuse
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Multiabuse 2014-02-22 08:00:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Merits do not bypass the cast time cap.

That said, I'd still keep the merits - not so much because 5/5 cure cast is great, but because the other options are really lackluster.

Perhaps you could look at regen merits if you exclusively play in small groups doing content with consistent but light damage. Otherwise WHM regen is mostly negligible for current end game content out there (that is not to say it is without its uses). Your other option is Divine Seal recast which I won't get into.
By Caradog 2014-02-22 09:13:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the responses.
Thinking of swapping to 5/5 Regen since the Curecast merits don't seem to be benefitting me at all
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2014-02-22 09:30:24
Link | Quote | Reply

The main benefit of curecast merits atm is saving you inv space. Without mine, I'd have to carry at least 2 more pieces of curecast gear to hit 80%.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [113 days between previous and next post]
By Heimdel 2014-06-15 10:56:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok these responses are a bit confusing. what is the normal cure cast cap with just gear using - cure cast gear not fast cast gear. Do the merits count toward the gear cap or are they a separate category?
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-06-15 11:06:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I think Cure Cast reductiongear, Fast Cast gear, /sch Light Arts, and Merits all go to the same cap, which is a total of 80%.
[+]
 Asura.Pergatory
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2014-06-16 18:02:42
Link | Quote | Reply

The responses are confusing for a reason. Nobody knows for sure because client-server latency makes it pretty much impossible to test. All you will hear are peoples' personal experience, based on whether things "felt" like they helped beyond a certain point, or people trying to guess based on what percentage the spell finishes on the casting bar. Even the 80% overall cap is just a general consensus.
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-06-16 18:11:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Pergatory said: »
The responses are confusing for a reason. Nobody knows for sure because client-server latency makes it pretty much impossible to test. All you will hear are peoples' personal experience, based on whether things "felt" like they helped beyond a certain point, or people trying to guess based on what percentage the spell finishes on the casting bar. Even the 80% overall cap is just a general consensus.

ALL SPELL RECAST TIMER CAPS AT 80% REDUCTION.

Only JA can break this With Specific Gear IE SCH Alacrity with relic feet.

This is well documented here.

http://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Cure_Spell#Cure_Spellcasting_Time_Reduction

Doesn't specifically advise of a cap but advises they all stack and are not multiplicative.

The easiest way to look at it is too look at how Haste and Dual Wield work, they are different forms of reducing your Delay (which is what we're doing with spells)

They hard cap at 80%.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2014-06-16 18:21:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Heimdel said: »
Ok these responses are a bit confusing. what is the normal cure cast cap with just gear using - cure cast gear not fast cast gear. Do the merits count toward the gear cap or are they a separate category?

Cure Cast Merits, Cure Casting Time gear, and Fast Cast all go into the same 80% cap, Light Arts actually break that cap though.

I gear my WHM with hybrid sets as I prefer using script macros over spellcast.

The sets I post are about 7 months old as I just came back from a break recently, but still work well even today.

This set I use for single target cures gives me 50% Cure potency 80% Cure casting time(before Light Arts) and -29 Enmity with merits. [Genbu's Shield augments are +3 Cure potency & -8% Cure casting time][Zenith Pumps +1 are augmented with +4 Cure Potency & -8% Cure Casting time]

ItemSet 277986

This set I use for Curaga's has 53% Cure potency(3% over cap) -80% Cure casting time with merits, but before Light Arts, and -50 Enmity with merits.
ItemSet 277987

This set I put together as a work in progress to collect with today's gear has 50% Cure potency, -80% Cure casting time with merits but before light Arts, -50 Enmity with merits, and 487/500 Healing Magic towards Tranquil Heart.

ItemSet 325260

If I ever finish this set, I'm halfway tempted to use it on Curagas as well just because my I have no issues with how much my curagas go off for, and the extra Tranquil Heart enmity could be useful on them. With -10 Enmity on Tamaxchi this has 50/80/50 and 495 Healing Magic.
 Asura.Pergatory
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2014-06-26 10:05:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Conagh said: »

Doesn't specifically advise of a cap but advises they all stack and are not multiplicative.

No, it isn't well-documented there. Source?

I would not be completely surprised if there is indeed proof of the 80% cap. I've seen minor attempts at proving it, albeit with massive margins of error, but still a convincing argument. But as for how the stats stack, I have seen absolutely no thorough testing whatsoever, nor do I think such testing would be anything short of a colossal undertaking.
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
Server: Fenrir
user: Motenten
By Fenrir.Motenten 2014-06-26 11:02:51
Link | Quote | Reply

This post indicates that there is not an 80% cap on recast reduction. The test showed an 81.25% recast reduction.

However, while a simplistic interpretation could see recast reduced by 88% (80% fast cast, 80% haste), 81.25% is the effective cap since haste to affect recast can't be increased beyond that used in the test (gear cap + magic cap = 68.75%). To reach 80% haste requires JA haste, which doesn't affect recast timers.
 Asura.Vafruvant
user: Vafruvant
By Asura.Vafruvant 2014-07-10 05:11:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Motenten said: »
This post indicates that there is not an 80% cap on recast reduction. The test showed an 81.25% recast reduction.
Mote, they're talking about the time to actually cast it, not recast it.

Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget said: »
Cure Cast Merits, Cure Casting Time gear, and Fast Cast all go into the same 80% cap, Light Arts actually break that cap though.
Has this been verified, and is it multiplicative of the normal 80% (giving 88%) or additive (giving 90%)? Not that 2% makes *that* much difference, but it's useful knowledge none the less. I was also considering removing my Cure Cast Time merits as I have (or thought that I had) reached casting time cap. I typically /SCH and have the following categories individually:

21% Fast Cast
41% Cure Spellcasting Time
12% Healing Magic Casting Time
Total: -74%

I had previously thought that Light Arts merely topped me off at the 80% cap, but if it is truly an additional casting reduction, I may need to alter my gear.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-07-10 05:32:20
Link | Quote | Reply

LA and the corresponding stratagems are all multiplicative with Haste and Fast Cast. It's something like FC * Haste * JA.

It's pretty easy to test on RDM/SCH or SCH main with haste spell.
 Asura.Vafruvant
By Asura.Vafruvant 2014-07-10 05:53:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Another question is would it be multiplicative of the total casting reduction (-88% original cast time) or would it be multiplicative of the new spell cast time itself (18% of original cast time)?

Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
LA and the corresponding stratagems are all multiplicative with Haste and Fast Cast. It's something like FC * Haste * JA.

It's pretty easy to test on RDM/SCH or SCH main with haste spell.
That answers part of the question, but what we're trying to figure out is if it break the 80% casting time cap or if it surpasses cap. If it's included under the 80%, then as /SCH you only need 73% casting time reduction to hit cap. This number varies based on the above question. If it's multiplicative of the total casting reduction, you need 73%, but if it's multiplicative of the new spell cast time itself, you need 78%.

If it's additional to the cap, then you would want to aim for a full 80% to have max potential, obviously.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-07-10 07:26:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Read what Moten posted above, they were able to get behind the 80% "cap" (the proper description would be the 20% floor).

We know that individually, Haste and Fast Cast each have their own hard 80% cap, though JA haste doesn't apply to recasts. Realistically the highest haste your going to get is 704/1024 from gear (256) and magic haste (448). That is 68.75% reduction right there. Now that's multiplied by the reduction from FC, which your not going to be getting a lot of, but lets say you could get 80%, that would be another 40% reduction. LA would be a final 10% with celerity being 50%.

So final would be Recast * 0.3125 * 0.60 * 0.9. A 100s spell would have a recast of 16.8 seconds. Which is under any 20% global floor.
 Asura.Vafruvant
By Asura.Vafruvant 2014-07-10 08:04:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Read what Moten posted above, they were able to get behind the 80% "cap" (the proper description would be the 20% floor).

We know that individually, Haste and Fast Cast each have their own hard 80% cap, though JA haste doesn't apply to recasts. Realistically the highest haste your going to get is 704/1024 from gear (256) and magic haste (448). That is 68.75% reduction right there. Now that's multiplied by the reduction from FC, which your not going to be getting a lot of, but lets say you could get 80%, that would be another 40% reduction. LA would be a final 10% with celerity being 50%.

So final would be Recast * 0.3125 * 0.60 * 0.9. A 100s spell would have a recast of 16.8 seconds. Which is under any 20% global floor.
To preface, I'm not trying to come down on you, but you misunderstand the question. As I've stated a couple times, we're not talking about *recast*, we're talking about the time the spell takes to *get cast* once you hit your macro, which is displayed in the discussion of haste (which we all know has nothing to do with the casting time, only the recast time, of a spell).

The original point of this thread was to determine whether Cure Cast Time (not recast time) merits are worth having, which I feel was answered fairly early in the thread. As the thread continued, another question arose as to whether each category (Cure Cast Time, Fast Cast and Light Arts) are additive to the same 80% Cast Time Reduction (not recast time reduction) that is native to Fast Cast itself.

The topic was misunderstood early and derailed into a recast discussion here:
Cerberus.Conagh said: »

The easiest way to look at it is too look at how Haste and Dual Wield work, they are different forms of reducing your Delay (which is what we're doing with spells)

They hard cap at 80%.
This post completely threw off the entire discussion, as you now had the words "recast timers" and "reduction" in the same thought, confusing anyone who was new to the thread. This is where we are at an impasse. My question has absolutely nothing to do with *recast* timers. I want to know if Light Arts stacks with the *casting time* of the spell, and if so, how it stacks (multiplicative or additive).
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-07-10 10:16:49
Link | Quote | Reply

There has never been a decisive conclusion but the assumption is yes its multiplied. CCT is just fast cast that's only applied to cures. I believe its additive with regular fast cast, or at least seems to be.
 Asura.Vafruvant
By Asura.Vafruvant 2014-07-10 10:38:38
Link | Quote | Reply

There has never been a decisive conclusion but the assumption is yes its multiplied. CCT is just fast cast that's only applied to cures. I believe its additive with regular fast cast, or at least seems to be.
So, the assumption would be that with 80% (Fast Cast, Cure Spellcasting Time, Healing Magic Casting Time or a combination of the three) combined with /SCH and Light Arts would net a total cast time of 18% of the original timer? Say your 100s spell from above, would take 18s? Casting * 0.20 * 0.90? (80% reduces to 20s, then 10% of remaining takes off another two leaving 18s)?
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [260 days between previous and next post]
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
Server: Phoenix
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2015-03-27 05:01:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Motenten said: »

However, while a simplistic interpretation could see recast reduced by 88% (80% fast cast, 80% haste), 81.25% is the effective cap since haste to affect recast can't be increased beyond that used in the test (gear cap + magic cap = 68.75%). To reach 80% haste requires JA haste, which doesn't affect recast timers.

These numbers actually make a lot of sense if you see them from a coding perspective
81.25% is 832/1024 reductions or a final casting time of 192/1024 witch are pretty fast numbers to calculate with for a computer

diving is horrible for a cpu so its use the same trick we do as human when we divide with 10. We simply move the dot. But computers er are binary not decimals so when the move the dot the results is like dividing with 2
1024 = 2^10 so is basically just moving the dots 10 times over which is alto faster than diving with 100
the 192 is 128+64 or 2^7 + 2^6 - which again is pretty fast to just the dot moving method.
so in the end isnted of calculation a hard to do division and then a multiplication (the next hardest basic operation) it does

Take X shift left 10times output as Y
Take Y shift right 7 time outputs as Z
Take Y shift right 6 times add it into Z

which are magnitudes faster than doing a real percentage calculation

TLDR: The 81.25 makes logical sense from a coding efficiency viewpoint

-- edit --
DOH necro...