Singing skill vs wind
 Valefor.Psykopat
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: bob
By Valefor.Psykopat 2013-09-29 06:25:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi,

My singing is skilling up a lot slower than my wind skill. Is it normal? I'm at 48 singing and almost 200 already in wind >.>
By dinendale 2013-09-29 07:01:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Switch between wind and string instrument and they will even out with singing skillups
 Bismarck.Bongarippa
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Bongarippa 2013-09-29 08:21:56
Link | Quote | Reply

My singing skill generally skilled up faster than both wind and string. That was due to switching instruments depending on songs. Then when I got horn, singing and wind basically skilled up together. Short answer, in my experience that isn't normal to have 48 singing skill and 200 wind. Not just because you aren't switching instruments (assuming), but skill ups should be a lot more frequent than a 4:1 ratio. Again, just going by my personal experience.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2013-09-29 08:31:26
Link | Quote | Reply

liminus earring

B.E.W. pitaru

Problem solved.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-09-29 08:38:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
If you don't happen to have the earring already, don't waste your time. In the amount of time you spend trying to get it, you could have already capped your magic skills. And hell, you could just leave yourself skilling overnight if you're okay with doing that.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2013-09-29 08:55:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
If you don't happen to have the earring already, don't waste your time. In the amount of time you spend trying to get it, you could have already capped your magic skills. And hell, you could just leave yourself skilling overnight if you're okay with doing that.
Took me only 2 hours of killing skellies and NMs and such.

AND you can do something else while farming that earring. Like skilling up random weapons on WAR. Although I wasn't there that long, I did get 15 levels on Scythe (no food/ring/earring though, forgot to bring it)

I also killed scorp NM, skelly NM, and wyvern NM just for fun. Made 300k from Blizzard Scrolls too.

So, farming that earring isn't a wasted effort, and it helps with other magic skillups that are not easy to cap (summoning, enhancing, healing, divine, geomancy, handbell).
 Valefor.Psykopat
By Valefor.Psykopat 2013-09-29 09:43:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Liminus Earring

B.E.W. Pitaru

Problem solved.

I actually use both. I have now wind 250 and string 250 and my singing is at 150. Starting to get more singing skill up now. I'll get it capped eventually but it's definately slower for me.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-09-29 09:53:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Farming skillup earrings is, without a doubt, inefficient.
Singing and wind will both go up much faster if you cast debuffs instead of buffs, I recommend using ionis for the skill up boost and looping threnodies/lullaby on doh gates worms. Should be easy to get the necessary m.acc with soothsayer.
[+]
 Phoenix.Suji
Server: Phoenix
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2013-09-29 10:27:00
Link | Quote | Reply

AND you can do something else while farming that earring. Like skilling up random weapons on WAR. Although I wasn't there that long, I did get 15 levels on Scythe (no food/ring/earring though, forgot to bring it)

I also killed scorp NM, skelly NM, and wyvern NM just for fun. Made 300k from Blizzard Scrolls too.

So, farming that earring isn't a wasted effort, and it helps with other magic skillups that are not easy to cap (summoning, enhancing, healing, divine, geomancy, handbell).
I won the lottery and it only took me one ticket. Everyone should play the lottery. Besides, I found a quarter on the ground in that gas station, so it was totally worth it to buy that ticket.
[+]
 Phoenix.Dramatica
user: Darkmagi1
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2013-09-29 10:38:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Yep, don't bother with skillup items unless you just happen to get boxes while doing GOV for lower jobs.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-09-29 11:27:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Suji said: »

I won the lottery and it only took me one ticket. Everyone should play the lottery. Besides, I found a quarter on the ground in that gas station, so it was totally worth it to buy that ticket.

This is exactly what I thought when I read that...
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2013-09-29 11:29:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Why do people think that, as you are doing one thing, you cannot do something else at the same time?

Farming the earring, making gil, skilling up a couple of weapons, they can all be done at the same time.

You aren't limited to just one of the above...
 Phoenix.Suji
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2013-09-29 11:36:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Why do people think that, as you are doing one thing, you cannot do something else at the same time?

Farming the earring, making gil, skilling up a couple of weapons, they can all be done at the same time.

You aren't limited to just one of the above...
It's one of those pesky casual vs hardcore debates.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-09-29 11:37:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Multitasking is nice, when it is logical to do so. I could also shout for a group to do an event at the same time! But that wouldn't be very effective in the zones you get these skill up items.

1. That's a paltry amount of gil. If you want to make gil there's way faster, less annoying ways.

2. If you are skilling up, your kill speed is going to be ***and you'll further lower the chance of ever seeing an item.

It's a waste of time. Happy for you that you got lucky but this method should never be suggested to anyone who values their time.
By Spiraboo 2013-09-30 08:18:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Think it's up to the person to decide whether skill up earring is worth getting. Imo it depends how much use you have for it. If you have other magic skills awaiting for skill up (enhancing, healing etc etc), it may be worth it for the long run. Not so much if you only need to do wind/string/singing. As people have said, it goes very quick if you just cast debuff (unlike magic enfeebling you still get skill up on resist if i remember right).

(for OP's question) No it's not normal, but skill ups are a roll of the dice so it's not impossible. For your skill level i'd stay in Sea and do the goldfish until ~250 or so. Since they don't do anything to you unless you hurt them you don't have to worry about survival, stand somewhere safe and threnody bot it if you don't wanna sit in front of the computer.

If you wanna go for the earring it's much recommended to do a page on the ground tome to increase your casket finding rate (there's a page for goblins/skeletons and they are right next to each other.) Once you have casket level high enough, you could go and AE the too weaks for the chests to drop fast. Unless your luck is severely bad, after a few prowess on casket you should find it quite easily. (~4hrs work, base on luck of course).
 Valefor.Psykopat
By Valefor.Psykopat 2013-09-30 09:37:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I did the skill up in Sea on goldfish yeah.

Finally my singing skill went up. I'm 245 now with string 250 and wind 273. So in the end it raised, but it was definately slower. The good part is that I actually skilled string, which wasn't planned lol :)
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [135 days between previous and next post]
 Sylph.Wonderangel
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Wonderangel 2014-02-12 12:24:07
Link | Quote | Reply

For skill bard magic skill, i'm finding mandys in the new zones very good. With Valaineral as Tank, Kupipi and Mihli as Healer, with me casting Mage's Ballad II and III, they never run out of mp.

I'm casting threnody on mobs, Ionis up, Body/hands for magic skill gain rate+ (i dont have the earring).
By Pantafernando 2014-02-12 12:44:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I do worms in who gates. Cast lullabies though. This way i reduce his magics.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2014-02-12 13:33:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there a point to skilling up outside of vmarch and scherzo cap?
By Pantafernando 2014-02-12 13:46:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
Is there a point to skilling up outside of vmarch and scherzo cap?

Macc for debuffs i think.