RDM Staples To Get ?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » RDM staples to get ?
RDM staples to get ?
First Page 2
 Quetzalcoatl.Taerra
Offline
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Taerra
Posts: 65
By Quetzalcoatl.Taerra 2013-07-24 09:28:08
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Long story short, I'm dusting my rdm off, I came back to game with a new toon post aby content. I always used to be a rdm at heart, but having to restart a new toon + soloing through Abyssea as BST and PLD, let's just say my rdm is barebone and needs some love.

Following the fact that it now has better uses in Adoulin, I want to gear it better and make it useful.

What are staple RDM gear I should be aiming for in the least amount of time ? Pieces that rather easy to get and gets you a good bang for your buck (or time). Once I'm decently geared, I'll tackle the harder pieces. I just want to kickstart my rdm and be functional, I'll focus on the harder pieces afterwards.

Atm I have 5/5 af3 +2 + duelist head/body/feet. The rest is rather basic or more melee oriented ( I tended to play bst pld blu more often in abyssea in solo). I have the NQ all iridescent staff atm but am farming to get the HQ. Estoqueur neck and back of course. I am also farming bastok on off times to try and get my duelist hands for that enhancing buff. I'm missing pants also but lacking dynamis jeuno access via Wins.

What else ?
 Quetzalcoatl.Hidegger
Offline
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Hidegger
Posts: 130
By Quetzalcoatl.Hidegger 2013-07-24 09:40:29
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Magian Macc staves, Tamaxchi, Delve accessories - Psystorm, Lifestorm earrings, Fea's corona, Heka's Kalasiris, Bokwus gear with rank 15 augments. Focus more on getting the highest tier Enfeebling sets and work in fast cast/recast, cure and Idle set pieces.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Taerra
Offline
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Taerra
Posts: 65
By Quetzalcoatl.Taerra 2013-07-24 09:41:30
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Quote:
Magian Macc staves, Tamaxchi, Delve accessories - Psystorm, Lifestorm earrings, Fea's corona, Heka's Kalasiris, Bokwus gear with rank 15 augments. Focus more on getting the highest tier Enfeebling sets and work in fast cast/recast, cure and Idle set pieces.

My sarcasm sense is tingling ...
Offline
Posts: 14020
By Quiznor 2013-07-24 09:45:36
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Quetzalcoatl.Taerra said: »
toon

already beyond help
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Taerra
Offline
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Taerra
Posts: 65
By Quetzalcoatl.Taerra 2013-07-24 09:50:19
Link | Quote | Reply
 
character then lol
 Quetzalcoatl.Hidegger
Offline
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Hidegger
Posts: 130
By Quetzalcoatl.Hidegger 2013-07-24 09:51:39
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Magian staves take like a week to finish, tamaxchi can be obtained by doing yumcax or all 5 wkr and you can leech the ki so you don't have to be good. Delve accessories should be really easy to get into a ki win and a few plasm farms that happen 2 dozen times a day. Fea's corona farm salvage 2 for the head then the plans, 3 runs if you get lucky on head drop. bokwus legs and feet are great Macc pieces they start getting useful after only a cpl levels. Heka's Kalsiris might take 100 runs but is well worth your time.

You won't get invited to delve at all if you can't land enfeebles which is why you set that as highest priority.

There was no sarcasm intended these are the most beneficial pieces low man or soloer should hope to attain in your position.
 Quetzalcoatl.Hidegger
Offline
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Hidegger
Posts: 130
By Quetzalcoatl.Hidegger 2013-07-24 09:53:57
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Also take advantage of Avn's all noobs welcome delve runs. From what I hear he is a hilarious guy and is more than willing to help people advance in the game on our server.
 Quetzalcoatl.Taerra
Offline
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Taerra
Posts: 65
By Quetzalcoatl.Taerra 2013-07-24 09:54:02
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Alright sorry it did sound like sarcasm. Seeing you are from my server, we must be from different play times because I monitor shouts from like 7pm to 9-10 pm est and since marjami came out with the capes, fewer people are doing plasm runs.

as for wkr ... I was under the assumption you need the 50-75k bayld entry item PER run .. or am I wrong ?

Also, not sure if it's the norm but I saw some of those runs getting shouts for quite a few hours ... I dont have like 6 hours to spend in a row on wkr ... or was that a failing run ?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Offline
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Jassik
Posts: 9534
By Odin.Jassik 2013-07-24 09:54:04
Link | Quote | Reply
 
don't forget to +2 your duelist head, body, and hands.
 Valefor.Esdain
Offline
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: esdain
Posts: 779
By Valefor.Esdain 2013-07-24 09:56:35
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Read the title and thought:

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Taerra
Offline
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Taerra
Posts: 65
By Quetzalcoatl.Taerra 2013-07-24 10:01:13
Link | Quote | Reply
 
magian staves, I assume I'd go for ice/thunder/earth/wind and light ... should I bother with darkness/water/fire ?

can someone explain wkr to me ? I read the page, ... do people just randomly join and fight ( like barrages? ) or do they actually need to form an alliance first of 18, then enter an instanced battlefield expending their one time key item ????
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Offline
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Jassik
Posts: 9534
By Odin.Jassik 2013-07-24 10:03:50
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Quetzalcoatl.Taerra said: »
magian staves, I assume I'd go for ice/thunder/earth/wind and light ... should I bother with darkness/water/fire ?

wind, ice, earth, dark, cure potency are probably the most useful overall. rdm isn't really needed as a stunner.
 Quetzalcoatl.Hidegger
Offline
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Hidegger
Posts: 130
By Quetzalcoatl.Hidegger 2013-07-24 10:05:16
Link | Quote | Reply
 
dark wind ice earth. thunder if you plan to play sch or be backup stun. I'd put dark or wind at the top of your priorities.
 Quetzalcoatl.Taerra
Offline
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Taerra
Posts: 65
By Quetzalcoatl.Taerra 2013-07-24 10:07:21
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Quote:
wind, ice, earth, dark, cure potency are probably the most useful overall. rdm isn't really needed as a stunner.

It was more for thunder nukes no ? wait, if the magian staves have +6 macc and the chatoyant has +30 ... why bother ? Unless it's for the -14% recast ?? Sorry I'm confused on this ... to me it looks like the chatoyant has better MACC and overall simplicity and usefulness (minus the recast)
 Quetzalcoatl.Hidegger
Offline
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Hidegger
Posts: 130
By Quetzalcoatl.Hidegger 2013-07-24 10:12:23
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Affinity +1 is not the same as Macc +1. the recast is only really used on the dark staff for dispels, as silence paralyze gravity slow have duration to them and don't need to be recast every chance they are up.
 Valefor.Lisamarie
Offline
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Kej
Posts: 211
By Valefor.Lisamarie 2013-07-24 10:50:40
Link | Quote | Reply
 
With the tamagotchi club, you no longer need to do the cure Magian staff.
 Quetzalcoatl.Taerra
Offline
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Taerra
Posts: 65
By Quetzalcoatl.Taerra 2013-07-24 11:06:31
Link | Quote | Reply
 
ok I checked the affinity page, 1 affinity = 10% macc and matk, which equals the NQ staves.

So assuming the magian staff has affinity +1 for the given element, +6 macc and -14% recast, this means that a specific magian staff has 10% +6 points (6%?) of macc, which means +16 macc ?

So if I get this right, a magian trial staff has +1 macc than the HQ staff, along with magic damage +1 (1%?) and -14% recast correct ?

also edit and copy paste from above, I guess my previous edit was not seen.

Quote:
can someone explain wkr to me ? I read the page, ... do people just randomly join and fight and get loot when boss goes down if they participate enough ( like barrages? ) or do they actually need to form an alliance first of 18, then enter an instanced battlefield expending their one time key item which has been initiated by the alliance leader ????


added a bit to the quote
 Quetzalcoatl.Hidegger
Offline
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Hidegger
Posts: 130
By Quetzalcoatl.Hidegger 2013-07-24 11:14:13
Link | Quote | Reply
 
just get the tamaxchi and save yourself the headache of doing magian staves and us the headache of explaining affinity.
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
Offline
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
Posts: 1147
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2013-07-24 11:15:57
Link | Quote | Reply
 
For Tier 1-5 NM's Magian Magic Accuracy staves are not needed. Assuming you're group uses a GEO with Languor/Focus up. Before I got my Tamaxchi I was landing pretty much all enfeebles on the 1-5 NM's flawlessly with a Chatoyant Staff.

The only Magian Accuracy staff I would really push is the Darkness Affinity one. To help with Dispeling Kurma's Harden Shell, since it is a staple to most strategies used to kill it. And the recast reduction on it is very helpful. Though, once you get a certain tier of magic accuracy, even Kurma's Harden Shell is a joke.

For "easier" 1-5 NM items to acquire I would say Refraction Cape, Lifestorm/Psystorm Earrings, Mephitis Grip would be the best options.

Bokwus Legs/Feet are some amazing pieces with Rank 15 Magic Accuracy path. But unless you're getting plasm extremely fast will cost you a decent amount from the AH. You could very easily get by with Orvail legs/feet until you could get find better options.

Duelist's Chapeau +2, Estoqueur's Sayon +2, and Estoqueur's Gantherots +2 are fine pieces to use for landing enfeebles on 1-5 NM's.

Demonry Sash is a decent waist option, and very cheap on the AH.

Estoqueur's Collar is ok, but Enfeebling Torque would honestly probably be a better choice, and if you can get you're hands on one, Weike Torque would be a slight upgrade over that.

For rings, you could use stat rings, would have about the same M acc as the lower tier M Acc rings. Or you could just use M acc rings, w/e would be easier for you to acquire 1st.

For ammo, there really isn't much in the away of great items other than Aureole. But Oreiad's Tathlum, Memoria Sachet, or Sturm's Report all have a little bit of M Acc you could use.

If you got to the point where you are attempting Mega boss fights, the more upgrades you can get, the better. But, these lesser items should give you enough of a start to make you a reliable debuffer on the 1-5 NM's.
 Quetzalcoatl.Hidegger
Offline
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Hidegger
Posts: 130
By Quetzalcoatl.Hidegger 2013-07-24 11:19:36
Link | Quote | Reply
 
for wildskeeper reives you can enter by purchasing the KI. Be smart if you enter when someone shouting is going to setup to kill it. If you want a reward that is decent you will probably need to participate and get exp/bayld evaluations. To do this you dmg mobs or the boss or another good way is to spam out cures onto people, which i'd recommend if you don't have a decently geared job.
 Siren.Kyte
Online
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
Posts: 2984
By Siren.Kyte 2013-07-24 11:23:30
Link | Quote | Reply
 
I would be extremely hesitant to make any MACC staves (or a cure potency staff) at this point, given both Tamaxchi and the soon-to-be-adjusted Soothsayer staff both have far more MACC.
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
Offline
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
Posts: 1147
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2013-07-24 11:44:06
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Siren.Kyte said: »
I would be extremely hesitant to make any MACC staves (or a cure potency staff) at this point, given both Tamaxchi and the soon-to-be-adjusted Soothsayer staff both have far more MACC.

Keep in mind if you have enough magic accuracy in other slots to Dispel efficiently the Magian Dark MACC staff is actually better than anything like Tamaxchi or upgraded Soothsayer. The recast is very nice for getting multiple buffs on monsters.
 Quetzalcoatl.Taerra
Offline
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Taerra
Posts: 65
By Quetzalcoatl.Taerra 2013-07-24 12:16:21
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Quote:
for wildskeeper reives you can enter by purchasing the KI. Be smart if you enter when someone shouting is going to setup to kill it. If you want a reward that is decent you will probably need to participate and get exp/bayld evaluations. To do this you dmg mobs or the boss or another good way is to spam out cures onto people, which i'd recommend if you don't have a decently geared job.

Thanks for clarifying, this means you can get in at any give time, but if you go in alone, or after the boss has died you'll either be 1) screwed waiting for people 2) screwed waiting for boss repop

Quote:
Keep in mind if you have enough magic accuracy in other slots to Dispel efficiently the Magian Dark MACC staff is actually better than anything like Tamaxchi or upgraded Soothsayer. The recast is very nice for getting multiple buffs on monsters.

I can see this being useful on sleep also, makes sense, for drain and aspir too providing you are /blm or /sch

Quote:
For Tier 1-5 NM's Magian Magic Accuracy staves are not needed. Assuming you're group uses a GEO with Languor/Focus up. Before I got my Tamaxchi I was landing pretty much all enfeebles on the 1-5 NM's flawlessly with a Chatoyant Staff.

The only Magian Accuracy staff I would really push is the Darkness Affinity one. To help with Dispeling Kurma's Harden Shell, since it is a staple to most strategies used to kill it. And the recast reduction on it is very helpful. Though, once you get a certain tier of magic accuracy, even Kurma's Harden Shell is a joke.

For "easier" 1-5 NM items to acquire I would say Refraction Cape, Lifestorm/Psystorm Earrings, Mephitis Grip would be the best options.

Bokwus Legs/Feet are some amazing pieces with Rank 15 Magic Accuracy path. But unless you're getting plasm extremely fast will cost you a decent amount from the AH. You could very easily get by with Orvail legs/feet until you could get find better options.

Duelist's Chapeau +2, Estoqueur's Sayon +2, and Estoqueur's Gantherots +2 are fine pieces to use for landing enfeebles on 1-5 NM's.

Demonry Sash is a decent waist option, and very cheap on the AH.

Estoqueur's Collar is ok, but Enfeebling Torque would honestly probably be a better choice, and if you can get you're hands on one, Weike Torque would be a slight upgrade over that.

For rings, you could use stat rings, would have about the same M acc as the lower tier M Acc rings. Or you could just use M acc rings, w/e would be easier for you to acquire 1st.

For ammo, there really isn't much in the away of great items other than Aureole. But Oreiad's Tathlum, Memoria Sachet, or Sturm's Report all have a little bit of M Acc you could use.

If you got to the point where you are attempting Mega boss fights, the more upgrades you can get, the better. But, these lesser items should give you enough of a start to make you a reliable debuffer on the 1-5 NM's.

Thanks a lot for those suggestions Wak. Thanks to everyone. I guess now I need to find out if I have enough fame for WKR and to try and get enough bayld for Orvail pieces AND to get into a wildskeeper raid.
 Phoenix.Demonjustin
Offline
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
Posts: 660
By Phoenix.Demonjustin 2013-07-28 15:42:05
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Quetzalcoatl.Hidegger said: »
Tamaxchi, Fea's corona
Why Fea's? If your going to suggest Tamaxchi to someone that means your already expecting them to go out and do Yumcax, at which point, why not simply replace Fea's with Buremte Hat as its better and comes from the same NM? Just curious. :x
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Offline
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Jassik
Posts: 9534
By Odin.Jassik 2013-07-28 16:25:34
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Phoenix.Demonjustin said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Hidegger said: »
Tamaxchi, Fea's corona
Why Fea's? If your going to suggest Tamaxchi to someone that means your already expecting them to go out and do Yumcax, at which point, why not simply replace Fea's with Buremte Hat as its better and comes from the same NM? Just curious. :x

Buremte Hat is ~27 Macc, Fea's is ~22 Macc... Fea's has basically 1 use, Buremte has MANY. I'm guessing it was just an oversight, Buremte is a better option than Fea's at this point, but very recently Fea's was ~2nd best and easiest to attain enfeebling head, beating Hyaline in most situations and AF2 aside from Augments for Bio/Dia 3.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Offline
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Jassik
Posts: 9534
By Odin.Jassik 2013-07-28 16:30:41
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Valefor.Lisamarie said: »
With the tamagotchi club, you no longer need to do the cure Magian staff.

This is subject for debate seeing as there are discrepencies in the translation of the stats and it requires an augmented Genbu's Shield to actually beat Arka IV + Curatio Grip in most optimal cure sets for RDM at least. That said, the difference is VERY minimal swaying both directions with the only noteworthy advantage to Arka being the possibility to use an -enmity grip.

Edit: one more thing to note, if you use an Earth/Terra's Staff for idle purposes, the club is going to be a constant source of problems because of the delay in equipping a main/sub when changing from 2 handed to 1 handed weapons.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Offline
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
Posts: 5993
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-07-28 17:08:25
Link | Quote | Reply
 
the delay is only changing from 1h to 2h(because a grip cant be equipped without a 2h weapon), there's no delay changing 2h to 1h+shield.. and it doesnt really matter if your idle grip doesn't go off 100%
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Offline
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Jassik
Posts: 9534
By Odin.Jassik 2013-07-28 17:25:53
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
the delay is only changing from 1h to 2h(because a grip cant be equipped without a 2h weapon), there's no delay changing 2h to 1h+shield.. and it doesnt really matter if your idle grip doesn't go off 100%

The shield may not equip everytime as well and it is needed for the club to actually be better than Arka IV since the stats are in question. If you already have Arka IV, the club offers very little advantage for the headaches.
 Quetzalcoatl.Hidegger
Offline
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Hidegger
Posts: 130
By Quetzalcoatl.Hidegger 2013-07-28 18:19:17
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Idle in magian pdt sword, cure precast in Apaisante +1, cure with tamaxchi, and all sub genbu's shield.

Ya I overlooked buremte hat. to be honest I don't even play rdm because I geared other jobs when rdm was considered dead and will never be asked to come rdm when something better is sitting around.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Offline
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Jassik
Posts: 9534
By Odin.Jassik 2013-07-28 18:52:37
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Quetzalcoatl.Hidegger said: »
Idle in magian pdt sword, cure precast in Apaisante +1, cure with tamaxchi, and all sub genbu's shield.


Aside from the effort of actually making the sword, I hadn't considered even having a sword in my inventory in delve, lol.
First Page 2
Log in to post.