Help For A Nooby WHM!

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » White Mage » Help for a nooby WHM!
Help for a nooby WHM!
 Valefor.Tiniky
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Tiniky
By Valefor.Tiniky 2013-06-25 15:49:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Very true! Unfortunately, I need so much stuff with Bayld, it's not even funny >_<! I do my missions everyday I log on, recently ranked up in 2 coalitions, so I should be getting more bayld here really soon! I'd like to save up to do those new NMs that are coming with the next patch. Perhaps they have a new shiny body piece / refresh piece.
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2013-06-25 15:57:24
Link | Quote | Reply

How does your cure set look, out of curiosity? If you haven't done Akra IV yet, you might be able to dodge that bullet entirely and go tefnut wand + Genbu's shield since you seem to have Plasm farming going and can pick up a pair of Bokwus Gloves to round out the set.
 Valefor.Tiniky
By Valefor.Tiniky 2013-06-25 16:32:10
Link | Quote | Reply

ItemSet 305632

My earrings are basically HP/MP earrings. I have tons of room for upgrades. I can send you my fastcast set too, if you would like to see that (also horrible xD!)

Thanks for your help!

Edit:: Also, haven't started on that trial yet. Reasoning for this is because I have heard all these announcements about new weapons and armor coming in the patches coming out soon. I think I'll just save and purchase that tefnut wand.
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2013-06-25 17:58:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey, we all gotta start somewhere =p If you got the money, I'd say a quick upgrade would be Tefnut Wand + Genbu's Shield for a solid 20% potency (once you get a 5% augment on the Genbu's Shield) and it'll probably be best in slot there for a while. Akra IV is a "cheaper" option per say, just more time consuming too as the price tag on Tefnut might be a bit steep.

Quick upgrades include getting an orison earring. If I were to focus on a particular set of Empyrean armor first, it'd be getting those Legs +2'd then getting your Head +2'd. If you got a different +2/tick idle piece, you can pretty much forgo the +2 body until you get into 40+% Cure Potency range.

orison pantaloons +2 is THE cornerstone of White Mage MP efficiency and I would get as many people as you can to help you get this completed as soon as possible. You will notice a very dramatic increase in how often you can cure once you get this piece completed. Do not EVER drops this from any Cure set.

tempered cape is a very minor upgrade to your current back piece, but very inexpensive in the grand scheme of things if you're looking to see just how much you can push.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Server: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2013-06-25 18:13:09
Link | Quote | Reply

personally i prefer arka iv, since it allows you a little more flexibility in other slots so you could have more -enmity or conserve mp or something. bokwus robe also has 2 refresh and is pretty easy to get.
 Valefor.Tiniky
By Valefor.Tiniky 2013-06-26 13:30:04
Link | Quote | Reply

So last night, we did the T1-3 NMs in Morimar Delve. As a WHM, I would have to say, changing from cure III to cure IV regularly was a huge plus for me. That may have been where I was going wrong. I also wasn't afraid to cure V if a MNK dropped to 50%. I did use cure VI once. That was when a MNK dropped to about 100 HP (I clearly need more fast cast gear, it took forever, I kept saying CRAP CRAP CRAP!! Then my heal went off, and all was well!)

I did however, have another WHM and a SCH in the group (not sure exactly why.. I think we were the weird off party or something). They did help my confidence a bit, but I noticed that sometimes when I slacked for whatever reason, they didn't necessarily pick my slack up, so I had to jump back on it.

One of my main issues was seeing when the raptor used his conal whirling inferno attack. I would toss a big heal on someone and they wouldn't get healed. I didn't know about this attack before going in (didn't really have enough time to read on monsters before we started), so it caught me by surprised. According to BG wiki, the only way to take it off the current DD is to sacrifice. I should be able to stay on top of that next time.

BG wiki did not go into details on if the slow from Raptor's abilities overwrote haste or not. I only hasted when the haste cycle was up and the raptor was in between TP abilities. Also, does the disease from his TP abilities inhibit HP recovery as well? Or was that just the fire move?

The hardest part for me was seeing the mobs TP abilities. With everyone using abilities, it's really hard to see what the monster is doing in the chat log. I suppose I could filter their abilities, but, what if I want to know when the bard is casting Ballad, etc..?

Thanks for all of your help!

PS, thanks for the advice, I got the cape, and I also went 1/3 on the earring (actually did these before this thread, just forgot to mention it)! Woop woop!
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2013-06-26 17:00:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Once you get a more potent cure set, you won't need to rely on Cure VI at all and keep your efficiency well off.

It's been spoken before, but generally you'll be responsible for your own party with the occasional cross healing to protect other members of your alliance while their healer is getting swamped. Overall, you'll be in the party you'll be healing and buffed.

What you did encounter on the Raptor is what is known as Super Curse and is employed by a number of specific mobs. Sacrifice transfers most forms of Super Curse to the White Mage with the only exception being Briarieus since his Super Curse is unmovable.

Due note that Super Curse also kills your MP restoration, including effects of Refresh and the refund you'll get from orison pantaloons +2 if you go this route. Be sure to remove it from yourself as well by using Afflatus Misery + Esuna. This can be critical as you will lose any semblance of efficiency while inflicted with Super Curse.

In terms of Slow, it depends on how potent the Slow is. If it's the equivalent of Slow II, it will overwrite your Haste and you'll need to Erase the affliction before reapplying Haste. If it's normal Slow, it won't remove it. In the case of the Raptor, I'm not sure which one it falls under.

Do you play with a full sized chat window? With current resolutions, most chat lines do not go across the entire screen, so you can basically cut your window width down to 1/3 of the screen and increase the amount of lines shown to near maximum so most text stays on the screen for as long as possible (this can be done through the configuration in game, but ATM not exactly sure which specific options will allow you to do this). I'd also recommend chat filtering your party/ls/tell chat to "hold" so you can see when people are calling for Enfeebles removal. There's a lot of information to absorb now, so you can't expect to see everything, but seeing the majority will help a lot.
By innit 2013-06-26 17:16:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Chomp Rush and Ripper Fang have additional effect slow. So simply keeping up haste will negate this.
By Norto 2013-06-26 17:53:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Tiniky said: »
Also, does the disease from his TP abilities inhibit HP recovery as well? Or was that just the fire move?

The raptor's Foul Breath is just standard Disease, so it should only prevent a player from recovering HP/MP while resting. In my experience, though, almost all DDs will still ask for Viruna for it if you ignore it, so I just remove it anyway.
 Valefor.Tiniky
By Valefor.Tiniky 2013-06-27 10:25:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Last night, did a Ceizak (sp?) farm run. NMs are completely different then fodder. Fodder was really easy. I would haste cycle, cure IV, boost-dex or str, dia II the mob. Sometimes more then 2 people would go yellow, so I would curaga II or III depending. Nobody died that night! (Unless they did something silly, like accidentally hit an NM or pull an NM)

I did have a DRK in my group at one point. He was one of those DRKs that likes to blow all his CDs at once. It actually wasn't that bad with him. I would see his animation go off, and start to cure him already. He would WS and lose a good chunk of his health, but would be fully healed and cureskined after. Wasn't bad at all! Was quite enjoyable watching him tear through the enemies.

One thing I noticed. If the BRD was using Ballad, I'd have no issues with MP (had normal ballad first run, Ghorn ballad second run, which, was a huuuuuge treat, it almost felt I could just spam Cure V). In other words, I reaaaallly need to focus on that refresh gear, I think that will help out my situation immensely.

Attempted to shout for help with Owleyes or even +2 items (focusing on pants right now). Shouted for a good 10 minutes with no replies, decided to just farm Delve instead. I really hope they release comparable gear soon (then it would be easier to find groups), maybe I can find some friends today to help me out with those things..
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2013-06-27 10:32:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, fodder tends to be really simple, just make sure to keep specific ailments off and you're good to go!

For Ceizak specifically, if you happen to have /SCH leveled, you can actually Aspir the Beetles for MP in between heals or when pulls are small to help keep your MP up. This will help you manage your MP better if you're in a situation without Ballads.

Get your LS to help you with the +2 items ^_^ Specifically the legs, as that's a huge chunk of efficiency. It shouldn't be too hard to finish it with 2-3 people from the LS helping.
[+]
 Valefor.Tiniky
By Valefor.Tiniky 2013-06-27 11:10:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Aspiring beetles sounds awesome! I just need to cap my dark magic skill. Guess it's off to worms for me tonight!

Do you happen to know if BOOST-STR negates the STR-DOWN effect from beetles? Could save MP from erasing! (not that it is a big deal, just excited about getting into WHM and being as efficient as possible)
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2013-06-27 11:12:55
Link | Quote | Reply

The great thing about /SCH is the fact that when you use Dark Arts, it bumps your skill greatly (B+ skill at level 99 regardless if you're capped or not, making it highly effective). Stack as much MACC gear as possible and use a the Prism-staff thingie for maximum effect.

Boost-STR is actually its own category from Str-Down, so you will need to still erase the STR-down from your party members to maximize their damage. Likewise, in Ceizak, be careful of the Diremite's Slow ability as it's considered Slow II and will overwrite your Haste (whereas the Slow from the Caterpillars will not).
 Valefor.Tiniky
By Valefor.Tiniky 2013-06-28 10:44:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Found another very tiny abyssea LS last night (had about 5 people in it when I logged out). They were not geared great, nor did they have all the waypoints, but we got the job done! We killed Sobek once, I am now 1/6 on my way towards my pants +2! We ended up inviting a Delve SAM into the group, who ended up 3 shotting Sobek. Abyssea is pretty insane with all this new equipment!

On another note, I wonder how much healing magic gear is going to come out in the next patch? I'm also wondering if they will add more pieces with refresh on them? Maybe the gloves and boots will both have their own refresh!
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2013-06-28 17:23:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Happy hunting! Make sure to get those Yellow procs if you can to maximize your drops!

To be honest, it's hard to keep piling on the Potency/skill gear without making it feel redundant. I'd honestly like to see more interesting types of Conserve MP pieces, like pieces that have both Potency and CMP. Also, a 3mp/tick body would be fun, and as you've suggested, separate legs and hand slot for refresh.

The big problem with adding more refresh is the fact that we're already pretty darn efficient. Any time we'll need to be spilling out cures, we'll have a lot of Refresh through other means to supplement (like Ballads).

I guess time will tell. I'm not too excited with the new club because it looks so much like a mage wand that I'm beginning to doubt that it's actually a beat stick. I'd love to be proven wrong though!
 Valefor.Tiniky
By Valefor.Tiniky 2013-07-10 13:32:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Update! Got my hat +2! Yipee! I am now in the process of gearing COR so that I can fight the Wildskeeper Reive and get that awesome wand for my WHM! Yay! I might come on WHM if we have enough CORs though.

As far as how I am doing on macros and such, I've downloaded spellcast with windower, I now just type // commands when I want to do anything. It's faster to me then scrolling to the proper player, and, now that I have spellcast, all my gear swaps automatically! Huzzah! //accession //invisible me Woop!