Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » Polearm confusion
Polearm confusion
 Odin.Shuinam
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Tyrael
By Odin.Shuinam 2013-06-18 13:02:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Currently confused on which Polearm i should look to be using while working on Upukirex. I currently have a Chauve-souris OaT pole and dotn have any plans to make relic/mythic right now. My LS recently fell apart as many ppl are leaving for ffxiv beta in anticipation of its release and are bored with the game, so Herja's is out of the question as well.

I was really impressed by the dleve PA or the AH one, but am unsure if either are better than OaT as there is little interest in DRG and few information in this forum (as compared to other jobs). Any help greatly appreciated.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
Server: Leviathan
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2013-06-18 13:07:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ophidian Trident, DEX/acc path
[+]
By kingfischer 2013-06-18 13:12:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Stick with the OaT for now and work on the delve polearm. Despite what some would say that weapon fully augmented is pretty great. The good damage mixed with an extremely low delay coupled with a Dbl/trpl/quad attack gear set will have you hitting all over the place.
[+]
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2013-06-18 13:18:04
Link | Quote | Reply

There's nothing great about it, it's just the top of the bottom of the barrel
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-06-18 13:28:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Make a Ryunohige!
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2013-06-18 13:31:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Absolutely

Who doesn't love maintaining 100% focus to just barely keep up with people without boss weapons!
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2013-06-18 13:32:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I hate aftermath
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-06-18 13:34:24
Link | Quote | Reply

It's okay, it'll get easier for you us when the RME update bubbles up to the surface.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2013-06-18 13:36:31
Link | Quote | Reply

The only part of me that doesn't think the promise of an REM update wasn't just a practical joke thinks that we won't see it for 8 months
 Odin.Shuinam
By Odin.Shuinam 2013-06-18 16:42:41
Link | Quote | Reply

OK seems liek Ophidian is the way to go. shoudl i be aiming for 6 hit? 7 hit? I assumes STR path considering stardiver but DEX was mentioned above. Thanks.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2013-06-18 16:50:42
Link | Quote | Reply

It'd be desirable if it weren't for accuracy requirements, and considering that Ophidian is really just a means to beating the most evasive thing in the game to date that drops an immensely better weapon, STR path is hard to justify(on any job, really)
 Bismarck.Xzeikx
Server: Bismarck
user: xzeikx
By Bismarck.Xzeikx 2013-06-18 17:03:10
Link | Quote | Reply

SAM! I did str path but meh i have been using amano as of late for most things
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-06-18 17:08:27
Link | Quote | Reply

There is a 5 accuracy Difference (not counting the acc from the DEX you get) between STR and DEX paths. It would really depend on the accuracy you have in other slots. Keep in mind that DRG gets a huge boost to accuracy from traits, so it's not nearly as important for them as it is for other jobs.

Being a rather keen drg myself, I would suggest DEX path only if you are lacking in accuracy for tp. If you are not, STR is the way to go for the Ophidian Trident.
 Bismarck.Xzeikx
user: xzeikx
By Bismarck.Xzeikx 2013-06-18 17:11:38
Link | Quote | Reply

On my other account i personally went STR path for trident. Simply due to the ACC i have in TP

ItemSet 303802

Swap out ares+1 for phorcys since i dont have them yet but everything else is right

Also not sure on the STP for this set either havent looked into it much
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2013-06-18 17:14:16
Link | Quote | Reply

The difference between STR and DEX paths in acc capped situations is negligible. The difference between STR and DEX paths in uncapped acc situations is, relative to typical increases to physical output, gigantic. Additionally, the only times when you'd want to stoop to including an Ophidian DRG involve nearly capped/capped ratio, further depreciating the benefit of the lesser path
By Ophannus 2013-06-18 21:58:59
Link | Quote | Reply

With capped STR Ophidian and capped delve feet and hands, I'm meleeing with something like 637ish acc without outside buffs as DRG/SAM. I had heard 620+ was the sweet spot for delve content; so would DEX path still benefit me even past 630ish acc(this more than what most DDs have without sacrificing gear choice or using sushi)
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2013-06-18 22:03:58
Link | Quote | Reply

630+, and that's an estimate based on Tojil. There's nothing to say that it's sufficient for any other boss

And like I said, the difference between the two will never show up in an acc capped situation, while it will be extremely apparent when uncapped
By Ophannus 2013-06-18 22:06:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Well assuming you need 630ish, DRG does have an easy enough time getting 630 without the DEX path gear due to traits and such. On Delve Bosses wouldnt melee be getting madrigals and the NM getting Diamond Stormed or something? DRG ought to be capped or close to capping more so at least than other DDs without DEX path stuff.
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
user: Motenten
By Fenrir.Motenten 2013-06-18 22:21:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, you'll be getting Madrigals; no you won't be getting Diamond Storm (in current party designs, there is absolutely no room for a smn). The goal is 630-ish acc without buffs, so that with buffs (Madrigal, Hunter's Roll, geo evasion down, food) you can actually reach capped accuracy. A surplus of accuracy means you have more flexibility in what other gear you can equip, or how much leeway you have for mediocre cor rolls.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2013-06-18 22:56:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Not to mention dispels, luopon deaths, etc.

It's really hard to go wrong with slightly overcapping acc
 Odin.Shuinam
By Odin.Shuinam 2013-07-16 22:58:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Necro bumping this to add a question. To get Ophidian to 6 hit build with decent accuracy, i can melee in +49 STP gear total, how much do I need to WS in? Thanks.
 Ragnarok.Kanryu
Server: Ragnarok
user: Kanryu
By Ragnarok.Kanryu 2013-07-17 01:13:22
Link | Quote | Reply

These are the sets I've been using. Granted I don't have Upu yet and am using Ophidian but accuracy is a serious enough issue on most delve bosses that x-hit just is not an option. And if all goes well I'll have Upu tomorrow, so no judgement on altering sets early.

All Miki gear is R15 A-path. Mekira-oto +1 on the day.

Also. As a point of reference. Acc requirement on the bee is about 900 and seems to go up during the fight. Shark is somewhere between 650-700 and Tojil between 600-650.

ItemSet 308189 ItemSet 304186
ItemSet 304185 ItemSet 308188