Forum » FFXI » Jobs » White Mage » Adjustments to Max HP
Adjustments to Max HP
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2013-05-31 04:10:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Perhaps it's because I'm being attacked multiple times for other people's erroneous interpretation of my post.

But that aside, yeah, I know it's a hybrid. You're still operating under the notion that questioning the set is the same as attacking the player. I never told them they shouldn't have a hybrid, or they suck because they have a hybrid, etc etc.

Let's put it this way. It looks like you're a WHM main or secondary. I'm a WHM secondary. Tell me. If you run across a WHM that is doing something that is outside your expectation of the WHM job, don't you want to know more about it? I'm sure it would interest you.

From there, this is where I seem to diverge from other people. When people start taking offense for one reason or another, option A would be to pat them on the head, make cute faces at them and reassure them that you didn't mean to say anything mean and that you're sorry if it offended anyone~

Option B would be to tell them to piss off

I went with Option B. Sue me.
 Carbuncle.Nezea
Server: Carbuncle
user: Nezea
By Carbuncle.Nezea 2013-05-31 04:22:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said: »
Perhaps it's because I'm being attacked multiple times for other people's erroneous interpretation of my post.

But that aside, yeah, I know it's a hybrid. You're still operating under the notion that questioning the set is the same as attacking the player. I never told them they shouldn't have a hybrid, or they suck because they have a hybrid, etc etc.

Let's put it this way. It looks like you're a WHM main or secondary. I'm a WHM secondary. Tell me. If you run across a WHM that is doing something that is outside your expectation of the WHM job, don't you want to know more about it? I'm sure it would interest you.

From there, this is where I seem to diverge from other people. When people start taking offense for one reason or another, option A would be to pat them on the head, make cute faces at them and reassure them that you didn't mean to say anything mean and that you're sorry if it offended anyone~

Option B would be to tell them to piss off

I went with Option B. Sue me.

Of course I do wonder about it if something looks odd to me about the way someone is playing WHM. I agree that questioning the set is different from attacking and there is generally nothing wrong with inquiring about it since criticism helps people improve themselves. But I'm just trying to explain that people are likely misunderstanding you because of the way you're asking. I apologize for misunderstanding you if it was truly genuine curiosity; it simply sounded more aggressive to me than that.
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2013-05-31 04:27:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sorry is this thread still going? Your statement was agressive fact.

You don't like that, may I suggest you take on some writing classes or read a book called "how to make friends".
 Bismarck.Ihina
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2013-05-31 04:40:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not all that interested in "learning" why people are misinterpreting my post either. I've been on the internet long enough to know that people just like yelling at other people over the internet.

I've also been on the internet long enough to be able to spot projection when I see it.
 Bismarck.Chaosprime
By Bismarck.Chaosprime 2013-05-31 04:46:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Feisei said: »
One thing I do hate is when the Whm tells me the war to stop gear swapping so much...

#1 not everyone uses blinkmenot
#2 if you blink they cant cure you
#3 if you die then thats well tough lol

On the other note gear swapping is essential. As a (use to be main) mage i understand the frustration of people blinking but you just learn t get on with it. However before you complain about this, you should try playing a mage without blinkmenot in a party where everyone blinks on every job ability even engaging and seeing how frustratingly annoying it is before making such a comment.

Not having a rant or a moan, but me personally over the years have let DD's die cause they continuously blink at 50hp... if they dont want my cure someone else does lol simple really. WHM is a tough job, people dont appreciate them as much as they should.
[+]
 Leviathan.Kincard
Server: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2013-05-31 04:48:12
Link | Quote | Reply

stal
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-05-31 05:10:12
Link | Quote | Reply

During the time I played WHM on ps2, and even RDM and SCH, I was able to completely by-pass the whole blinking issue by using one of two methods - particularly for events like this.

Option one: <p0-5>

Option two: in more notable cases, I would use the target's name in my macro so I didn't have to actually target them.

DRK is my main job, and unfortunately the Mythic Scythe Liberator, as good as it is, just isn't the best tool for the job. I should hook up with people for assaults and get them out of the way, and work on building me a Ryunohige. A buddy of mine finished his in something like two months, and he has a life outside of FFXI.

Personally, having been a player on both ends of the spectrums from where Esdain is now, and reaching the heights of where Ihina and Mac are, I would at one point have considered what they are saying to be "elitist hogwash". I think I've only used my WHM once since NNI was first introduced, and the current progression of Delve, which was the night before SE changed the Field NMs in Adoulin to timed battles for my 6th delve KI.

People play the "I have a life" card far too often to make excuses for not progressing. There are a ton of part time players that have learned to manage their time to get the things they want/need to become better players, or just to have shiny things.
 Bismarck.Chaosprime
By Bismarck.Chaosprime 2013-05-31 06:20:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Agreed Bloodrose. I totally agree. People hide behind that notion far too much and the worst part is, they get annoyed when nothing is "handed to them" for zero effort. They expect you to go farm the pop, you to organize the event and then they get all the spoils. And when they are told no they have a fit and start saying they have a life. Well guess what so do we lol. And we all manage to get in the shinnies and the good stuff within reach. You want better you put the time and effort in to get the better. Of course there are the people who literally couldn't care less about their gear but ill not go into that. We all have a life. That's a poor card to play these days. Capped skill should be mandatory (holding hands up i still don't have capped skills on some jobs i very rarely play (RDM Enfeebling is one of them - not played in 4 years i think?).

Bottom line is you wanna be better at your job put your time in. You want to be adequate and enjoy fine put the required time in. you want hand outs? Go to Lower Jeuno. There is a minstrel shop there. Can have a few pints while you wait for the inevitable nothingness that is heading your way lol

The game is what you make of it. Time = rewards, simple as that :P
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-05-31 07:00:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends greatly on the situation. PUG friendly content can easily be done by people limited or random play time. It's the stuff that needs a LS with certain rare resources (super support and mega buffed DDs) that limited play time hurts folks. Any LS worth a damn will have an application process by which they vote / determine if a prospective member is worth a LS slot. LS's don't like people who can't attend 70~90% of scheduled events which tends to be three to five (yes I know some are five) days per week. Thus a casual player won't get into those LS's and will never be able to consistently participate in that content nor acquire the rewards from it without resorting to merc's. This also precludes gear that requires large amounts of repetitive boring work. Players play games for fun not to run on a hamster wheel. We'll often accept the running on the wheel if it allows us to enjoy other aspects of that game. People with limited play time on disproportionately hurt by long hamster wheel sessions. If you only play for 8~10 hours per week, your not going to be spending 5~6 of them farming dyna currency, fishing or other extremely repetitive tasks.

The combination of the above just serves to greatly slow down progression of casual players to a fraction of what hard-core players have.
 Carbuncle.Ghishlain
Server: Carbuncle
user: Ghishlain
By Carbuncle.Ghishlain 2013-05-31 08:02:29
Link | Quote | Reply

A Yagrush is an incredible investment for any WHM, but to claim that not owning a Yagrush means a White Mage isn't a top tier White Mage is a bit of a stretch.

White Mage is less about gear and more about reaction times and knowledge of the game and enemies. Gear plays a very important role, yes, but that still needs to be combined with good reflexes to fire Cures, -nas, and erases off quickly; and understanding the mechanics of your class to be as efficient as possible.

I consider myself a well played White Mage, but I know I only sit in the mid-high range of gear tier because of my lack of time to play. I am still passionate about the job and strive to do my best, which can make up for the lack of gear.

Can I operate without a Yagrush? Yes.

Would I like a Yagrush? Definitely, especially in this day and age with so many AoE enfeebles flying everywhere.

Will I *** about not owning a Yagrush? Occasionally, and only to my friends when I want to vent some frustrations.

Does not owning a Yagrush make me any less of a White Mage? Most certainly not.
[+]
 Bismarck.Chaosprime
By Bismarck.Chaosprime 2013-05-31 08:29:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Saevel said: »

I get that, for months we spent 2-3 hours a day Monday to Friday just farming dyna only as that's all our play time allowed. Weekends and Friday evenings was our main playtime if we were available. We built 6 relics (to 95). Did it take time? yes, were we having nightmares about Dynamis-Qufim? yes Do i regret it? nope. Bottom line is we wanted it so we put the time in to get it. As for the game going back to a LS orientated affair, i agree. You want the best stuff, you join end game LS. I have joined a few in my time and yes one of the ones i had joined was a 6 day a week event LS. I couldn't attend all, no chance lol, but i attended what i could - usually 4-5 days. Of course this meant i went down in the pecking order for items but hey i got what i wanted eventually. LS are more important today than they were pre adoulin. Shouts will dry up as LS's become better geared and more accustomed to doing delve content among them selves. This will give rise to merc LS's even more. Personally i am in a Social LS. Not doing stuff has almost made me no longer sign into this game now. However the notion of people play games for fun is true to a point. MMO's will never always be "fun". They will be tedious, annoying, lackluster, and boring at times (Anyone here that tells me for a second they have fun farming beehive chips is lying lol). But MMO's are not all about having fun. Farming is boring, Killing Glavoid 30-35 times then killing Itza 30-35 times is boring. Not even going further with that example. Delve farming is boring. Same thing over and over and over and over again. You think everyone that does it enjoys it or they do it cause they need to, in order to improve? Getting better at your job and having fun is ideal but that is not always the case. I, 2 weeks ago ran all the way to Throne Room [S] with a friend. Never ventured there. Had so much fun slaughtering everything and gained nothing in the process. So yes people play games to have fun, but everything in this game is designed to remove the fun factor by making you do them 487561297862874632 times. I see the occasional Pil shout and want toci, but after going 0/200+ you think fighting Pil is fun for me?

I agree with you but the whole notion of "fun" is not a card that should be used. The game is fun. It has its moments and its why we keep coming back. But to say the game is always fun, nah that's just nonsense. Of course to the people who merc, that do not need to farm EVER, that's a whole different story. But for the rest of us that rely on the economy to enjoy the game, no, the game is not always fun, but enough to keep us playing.

inb4 - derailed thread is derailed lol
[+]
 Bismarck.Alyora
VIP
user: alyria
By Bismarck.Alyora 2013-05-31 08:57:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmmmm
 Asura.Hoshiku
Server: Asura
user: Hoshiku
By Asura.Hoshiku 2013-05-31 09:15:46
Link | Quote | Reply

So if Ihina isn't your main toon... is Macross your main? As in macsdf1... just wondering!

As far as the topic of what whm should have to be sufficient. Yagrush is a bit far... nice to have but not a requirement. Whm is one of those jobs where gear is helpful but ability >>> gear. I've seen some nicely geared whms who couldn't prioritize what to cast at all. I've also seen some whms who based on their gear I was leery of do an excellent job of keeping most of the ally standing.
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
Server: Phoenix
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2013-05-31 09:19:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Chaosprime said: »
Bahamut.Feisei said: »
One thing I do hate is when the Whm tells me the war to stop gear swapping so much...

#1 not everyone uses blinkmenot
#2 if you blink they cant cure you
#3 if you die then thats well tough lol

On the other note gear swapping is essential. As a (use to be main) mage i understand the frustration of people blinking but you just learn t get on with it. However before you complain about this, you should try playing a mage without blinkmenot in a party where everyone blinks on every job ability even engaging and seeing how frustratingly annoying it is before making such a comment.

Not having a rant or a moan, but me personally over the years have let DD's die cause they continuously blink at 50hp... if they dont want my cure someone else does lol simple really. WHM is a tough job, people dont appreciate them as much as they should.

unimportant learn how to play the game and use proper targeting
like stal

yes they can if they knew how to play the game and use
stal

#3 if they die because they are blinking you whm is fialing to use propper basic gameplay mechanics like ermmm, STAL

and im not even mage player beside a pocket whm. and know blinking is not an issue.

TLDR: Learn to play the game and use stal
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2013-05-31 09:20:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Alyora said: »
Hmmmmm

pull the trigger this ***is outta hand lol