Voidwatch Etiquette
First Page 2
 Alexander.Carrelo
Server: Alexander
Game: FFXI
user: Carrelo
By Alexander.Carrelo 2013-05-01 15:07:52
Link | Quote | Reply

So judging from a few recent experiences during English-speaking playtime, I guess people still don't know how to respect others' time in VW? Granted, I play mainly with Japanese groups and might have a different understanding of the etiquette for this now very old event, but the contrast is pretty striking. o.o; So uh, yeah. This probably doesn't apply to the kind of person who bothers to read the forums, but oh wells.

Hey, new peeps! Yeah, you with the 3 stones! Here are some tips to help ensure that you aren't the one making a quick 1-hour event drag on for twice as long!

1) Don't randomly leave during the run! Unless you're having some sort of emergency, try not to leave everyone hanging by suddenly warping or dropping from the party. You may not mind if the group continues fighting without you, but remember that you are only given a spot in the alliance in exchange for the responsibility of covering your job's procs. Hard to do if you aren't there!

If you don't have enough stones to make it through all 6 fights at a time, you've got 2 options. One: if there is another person in the group capable of covering your job's procs and you can leave without screwing everyone over, then check with the leader and feel free to go fill up--do not complain when you miss a fight. Two: suck it up and make do with the xp and cruor. Unhappy about missing out on drops because you don't have enough stones? Go work on that ***! It's your problem, not your group's!!

2) Check the box, check the box, check the booooox. After the fight, check the box. Get rid of all the ***in there, then check it again just to make sure. Even if you didn't have a stone, check the box for your xp and cruor. The only excuse for holding up the box for more than 30 seconds is if you D/C'd or you got a Revitalizer and are waiting to SP buff your party. Check again, you probably missed something. We're still waiting. D: Seriously, do you have full inv or something? Got a RA/EX drop in your chest that you already had? Getting old over here. D:

3) Temmmmmmmmmpssss. Use them! Use them on yourself, use them on your friends, use them on your cat... People can tell when you aren't paying attention to your temps, because you'll be that one guy (or gal) eating dirt every time the mob farts. Don't just use 'em once and forget--pay attention and use them again when they wear off. You too can be like those cool guys (and gals!) who take a giant claw/tentacle/flipper/D108 dagger/balance to the face without so much as batting an eye! No one likes sitting around waiting on weakness that could have easily been avoided with proper, erm... beverage use.

4) Don't act like an obstinate child when someone politely suggests that you be considerate of other people's time.
[+]
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
Server: Phoenix
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2013-05-07 12:03:59
Link | Quote | Reply

5:

DONT AOE BUFF AT THE CHEST ......
i don't know how many bard/cors that think they need to do skillups (maybe?) while people are trying to open the chest.
[+]
 Asura.Ina
Server: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2013-05-07 12:06:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Have your maws flagged if you are doing a city climb.
[+]
By lucasroper82 2013-05-07 12:12:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I nominate this be stickied. All in favor? ? ?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Neboh
Server: Lakshmi
user: Neboh
By Lakshmi.Neboh 2013-05-07 12:21:45
Link | Quote | Reply

"How'd you die?"

Noob answers: I was popping my reraise first (near the chest of course).

/facepalm

LOL
 Lakshmi.Neboh
By Lakshmi.Neboh 2013-05-07 12:29:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh oh, don't forget those poppers who pop then runaway. When asked why'd they run away, they answer, "I needed to pop Fanatics..." LOL

Edit: Need to have temps macro'd (Fanatics most esp.)
 Shiva.Wolfdogs
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Wolfdogs 2013-05-07 12:30:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I approve of this thread.
 Ragnarok.Ravant
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ravant
By Ragnarok.Ravant 2013-05-07 12:44:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Neboh said: »
Oh oh, don't forget those poppers who pop then runaway. When asked why'd they run away, they answer, "I needed to pop Fanatics..." LOL

Dont even need to have them macro'd... Ive popped many VW NMs you have PLENTY of time to pop fanatics, voke and pop the rest of your temps through the menu before anything major. I think the worst was pop > Cast Death from Akvan.

Macroing would be faster of course but definitely not needed for someone who is focused on what they should be doing.
 Siren.Novadragon
Server: Siren
By Siren.Novadragon 2013-05-07 12:47:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Neboh said: »

Don't need to run away. You got roughly 8 seconds before the VW NM even attacks you. Plenty of time to get a fanatics manually and Provoke it.

Edit: You only really need macros for the temps when it comes to Botolus Rex because of the change in Fanatics/Fools.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2013-05-07 12:48:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Gaiarorshack said: »
5: DONT AOE BUFF AT THE CHEST ...... i don't know how many bard/cors that think they need to do skillups (maybe?) while people are trying to open the chest.

when the chest is cleared, ppl need to trade cells. Thats a worse time to interrupt them. And soon as they do, everyone scatters about. So actually the best time to aeo buff would be at the chest...
 Lakshmi.Neboh
By Lakshmi.Neboh 2013-05-07 12:56:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Was suggesting temps macro'd for the average player. If they can't up pull items fast enough to pop fan, then macroes will def. be more helpful. For higher end VW like Ig-Alima, if for example if a Mage is popping, he should have fan macro'd. That's just an example. I personally wouldn't have a Mage pop if I could help it.
 Siren.Novadragon
By Siren.Novadragon 2013-05-07 12:58:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
5: DONT AOE BUFF AT THE CHEST ...... i don't know how many bard/cors that think they need to do skillups (maybe?) while people are trying to open the chest.

when the chest is cleared, ppl need to trade cells. Thats a worse time to interrupt them. And soon as they do, everyone scatters about. So actually the best time to aeo buff would be at the chest...

I'm not trying to sound like a *** here but using buffs at the chest is a very bad idea. It just forces people out of the menu in your party, will only just **** them off.

I never have this problem at all when I shout my own VW, I just say "prepare". Which means everyone will buff before I pop the next one and warn when I'm popping now. Easily counters this issue if people run off. But if they don't come for buffs that's their fault, not repeating it.
 Lakshmi.Prinnysmash
By Lakshmi.Prinnysmash 2013-05-07 13:00:17
Link | Quote | Reply

But... trading cells can't be interrupted.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-05-07 13:03:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Buffs before or after chest disappears is the same thing, you still need to wait for them anyway.
[+]
 Hades.Tripster
Server: Hades
user: Lisamarie
By Hades.Tripster 2013-05-07 13:10:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Carrelo said: »
Unhappy about missing out on drops because you don't have enough stones? Go work on that ***! It's your problem, not your group's!!

This, so much, THIS!!!!

I think it should be AUTO-KICK from the party if someone warps to get more stones during Voidwatch. It's their problem not mine. I so agree with the OP, japanese groups don't make you go through the *** the EU/NA partys do.
 Siren.Novadragon
By Siren.Novadragon 2013-05-07 13:14:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Tripster said: »
Alexander.Carrelo said: »
Unhappy about missing out on drops because you don't have enough stones? Go work on that ***! It's your problem, not your group's!!

This, so much, THIS!!!!

I think it should be AUTO-KICK from the party if someone warps to get more stones during Voidwatch. It's their problem not mine. I so agree with the OP, japanese groups don't make you go through the *** the EU/NA partys do.

Plus can be much more reliable than randoms. I actually had a very decent Kalasutrax run with a JP group than going with randoms. Thing was actually getting stunned to prevent the PDT going up. I was actually pretty lucky to get Ogiers Helm and Rubeus Spats in the same run. I had Ogiers Helm before but I was hacked the next day.
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-05-07 13:21:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I was guilty of number 5 a few times.. sometimes it slips your mind when you have to get Boost STR, Auspice, Pro/Shell, Bar spells and ***up before the group dispenses.

Then I stopped caring.

People want buffs? We back up, and I give them around me. You miss them? Come to me next time. Hell, I even gave a warning most of the time.

And as for 3 stones..? I did runs with 3 stones before I got a pickup group. I just sucked it up and ran the last 3 with no rewards. Still exp and cruor and you were still considerate of others. :D

For number 1: I've had to leave for work sometimes and told the party that I had a time limit.. yet one Celaeno the leader waited 15 minutes for a friend to come to wait for the first pop.. and they lost a WHM. D: I was not happy. -.-; I've also have people bail due to not being able to beat Pil.. lol.

Number 2: I've had it where I thought I had everything but inventory was 80/80 with one item in chest remaining.. took about 30 seconds to realize and I apologized. The ones that irritated me the most were the ones that waited 5 minutes and didn't apologize.

Number 3: Took me a while to remember those.. well that and actually get them, lol. Most people new to voidwatch don't know about clears and getting KI and temps so just ask and educate them and let them learn. Everyone has to sometimes. It's the ones that DON'T learn are the ones that deserve to be kicked.

Number 4: Agreed.

Also, regarding cells. Irritated me the most when people would pop when THEIR cells were traded but no one else could or even given a chance to prepare.. back to that "consideration" thing that everyone is talking about.

I've wiped to a Qilin before because people weren't prepared and someone popped as soon as the chest disappeared.. it can happen. D:
[+]
 Fenrir.Reece
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Reece 2013-05-07 13:22:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Remember I was on BRD and Pt wiped on 1st Qilin. D2s were going off all around
[+]
 Sylph.Jrpg
Server: Sylph
user: ohnogc
By Sylph.Jrpg 2013-05-07 13:24:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been in multiple VW parties when I wasn't able to carry 6 stones with me. Instead of leaving for more stones, or leaving altogether...I sucked it up and helped the party until the end. You can still participate in VW without stones, you just don't get drops, and you get a lower amount of exp/cruor.

Here's one: Stop ragequitting. It takes long enough to get VW parties going for the unpopular NMs, and just because one pop may go wrong, it's dumb to leave in the middle of it.
[+]
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-05-07 13:25:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Reece said: »
Remember I was on BRD and Pt wiped on 1st Qilin. D2s were going off all around
The good ol' days. If I remember correctly, he popped a summon very quick and no one took it.. down went the mages and everyone else.. by the time everyone died he was at 2% and 3 summons were rampaging the party.. I was just laughing. Just, wow, I thought. XD

Botulus Rex.. /shudder.

/assumesfetalposition
 Shiva.Nindo
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Nindo 2013-05-07 14:09:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Eh some of your post I agree with an some I disagree with. I don't see it as being rude so much as just how I was introduced to VW by my shell. Now don't get me wrong, I will agree that if they come in with 3 stones, an have no quick way of getting back to the pop spot, I think they need to suck it up an just be there for last 3 runs for xp an cruor. I've done it before, when I knew that it'd taken me a bit to get back an get stones an get out there. And I didn't want to make others wait on me. But if its a case where the party is waiting on quite a few people to unweaken, or they have a way get out there in less than 5 minutes, I don't see the harm in it so much. If im alliance leader then I usually forewarn the party before I even start that there are a few that need to get stones after 3, they have a way of getting out here quickly, etc. so that its not a shock nor does it cause issues when they do go.

But I will say there was an occasion were I got into a Bismarck shout an one guy had no warp out there. An apparently somehow missed the boat twice...an the alliance leader wanted everyone to wait almnost 30+ minutes on this dude. That to me was rude an unacceptable. So I do understand the times were having wait on others to restone is silly.

I will agree with the chest thing though, that does frustrate me at times. Another thing gets me is people bringing in mules. I dont mind if your mule going to be useful, or do something to help out with the run. But when majority the time its standing in the back not doing anything, it irks me that the spot could have gone to someone who not only could done those procs but would been more useful. I can't count how many times I've seen people bring in blu, blm, or whm mules an then stand them off to the side an not proc or cure or nuke.

An temps...oh dear god yea I agree on that one. It drives me up the wall that your given so many useful temps an people either forget or just don't even bother using them ;;. Especially the RR scroll one >< that one gets me when people die an spam chat with raise an never bother using the scroll once. If you die during the fight, im sorry but at the time I need concentrate on keeping the others who are alive, still alive. I'll get to you when I get a chance. But spamming chat with "I need a raise, raise me please, I need a raise, raise coming soon?" makes me more inclined to ignore you ><. I wish more people would be respectful as well as educated when came to VW runs in general (stones, chests, temps, etc.) but I think its going be something you will always encounter no matter what you do sadly.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-05-07 14:14:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Something that irks me is that people don't run away when they're told to. You can easily tell if a run is going to ***, there's no need to waste 20 minutes zombieing and in the end failing, when you can instead quickly recover and repop a better one.
This happens on things like B-Rex and niggalima.
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-05-07 14:36:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Something that irks me is that people don't run away when they're told to. You can easily tell if a run is going to ***, there's no need to waste 20 minutes zombieing and in the end failing, when you can instead quickly recover and repop a better one.
Being at Botulus Rex when it's at 3%, telling people to die so we can just restart and having the same idiots try to claim over and over again because they're wearing Twilight Armor... wasting 20-30 minutes over something that isn't going to happen @.@

When it comes to temps also gotta remember that sometimes you raise up and can't get that RR scroll off before some AoE comes and slaughters you... thus the "raise plz" spams, lol. I've done it before and I'm a WHM, just sometimes you can't get RR off before you die again.

I've also seen a few people where if you just either look the wrong way or even just do one thing wrong they just bail on the group without warning.. even better when they leave and the run goes smoother. O.o
 Siren.Novadragon
By Siren.Novadragon 2013-05-07 14:39:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Applebottoms said: »
Being at Botulus Rex when it's at 3%, telling people to die so we can just restart and having the same idiots try to claim over and over again because they're wearing Twilight Armor... wasting 20-30 minutes over something that isn't going to happen @.@

When it comes to temps also gotta remember that sometimes you raise up and can't get that RR scroll off before some AoE comes and slaughters you... thus the "raise plz" spams, lol. I've done it before and I'm a WHM, just sometimes you can't get RR off before you die again.

I've also seen a few people where if you just either look the wrong way or even just do one thing wrong they just bail on the group without warning.. even better when they leave and the run goes smoother. O.o

Why I sacrifice a power atma for Provenance Atma XD!
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2013-05-07 14:43:33
Link | Quote | Reply

sticky this ***kthx
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-05-07 14:44:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Novadragon said: »
Valefor.Applebottoms said: »

Why I sacrifice a power atma for Provenance Atma XD!
lol I wasn't able to get to do PW, mostly because my playtimes were scarce enough as is, I didn't have the time/patience to start a VW group for my remaining clears D:

Oh, how I wish I had that... ; ;
 Cerberus.Ephexis
Server: Cerberus
user: Ephexis
By Cerberus.Ephexis 2013-05-07 15:02:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Comments on my profile read pretty much as a list of Cerb people who fail at VW.

When I'm leading, I shout for 6 kills, although it's usually 6-12. I expect to have to rep a few people after 6. If you leave part way through a set, I kick from the alliance. Also keep a mental note of the names, and they're never reinvited.

I expect people in the group to listen to directions from myself if things go wrong, which is rare based on how I set up. That's usually caused by lack of procs or, if someone else in the alliance has parsed, shows that actually I'm accounting for around 35-40% of total alliance damage. People have a chance to listen, and if they choose not to, they're soon gone also, unless they're suggesting viable alternatives.

I opt to react to situations, and if a set isn't going as it should be, I'll happily disband the entire alliance rather than waste the groups time.

I've also a preference for getting Japanese players in runs, and I seem to be in a decent standing with them. Some basic knowledge of the language helps to break down the barriers though, as well as simply being polite.
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2013-05-07 15:20:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Prinnysmash said: »
But... trading cells can't be interrupted.

im almsot always a blm in vw, so im not buffing ppl, or getting buffed. Forgot'

Siren.Novadragon said: »
I'm not trying to sound like a *** here but using buffs at the chest is a very bad idea. It just forces people out of the menu in your party, will only just **** them off. I never have this problem at all when I shout my own VW, I just say "prepare". Which means everyone will buff before I pop the next one and warn when I'm popping now. Easily counters this issue if people run off. But if they don't come for buffs that's their fault, not repeating it.

Could work, but theres usually almost always some idiot who cant wait the extra 5 seconds to buff and pops right away, and half the time kills the mages standing there. (Sadly it does happen)

Cerberus.Ephexis said: »
I expect people in the group to listen to directions

Accomplishing that might truly be the hardest boss in the game lol
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
Server: Phoenix
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2013-05-07 15:26:40
Link | Quote | Reply

chest don't get cleared when you constantly get interrupted by buffs
slow down the entire processes of popping the next one

clear chest
buff up
scatter and pop nm

is way faster than

try to clear chest
interrupted from corsair
try to clear chest
interrupted from bard
try to clear chest
interrupted from cor
try to clear chest
interrupted by 2nd songs
try to clear chest
interrupted by whm
chest lost
RAGE...
scatter
pop nm

-- edit --
nvm this flawed logic on my part
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-05-07 15:27:55
Link | Quote | Reply

It's actually the same amount of time. Cause the time you spend not clearing the chest asap would be the same time spent waiting on buffs with rift up.
[+]
First Page 2