Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » forever /drk
forever /drk
 Ragnarok.Zeromega
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Zeromega
By Ragnarok.Zeromega 2013-04-29 13:36:16
Link | Quote | Reply

this opens up to a bit more than drk job wise but what better place?

Thoughts/prejudgements on the change to drk and it as a subjob option

war/drk sam/drk zergs go!
 Siren.Thoraeon
Server: Siren
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2013-04-29 13:39:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Assuming /Drk is 15% haste Last Resort like they initially stated, the average haste received is 9%.

Since Hasso is 10%, I see /Drk being more viable for Sam than it would be for War. Especially considering the STP from /Sam.
By Chyula 2013-04-29 13:39:21
Link | Quote | Reply

DD/sam give hasso and stp?

I don't see you'll want to go /drk unless the /sam stp part is wrong. Maybe sam/drk is better than sam/war. Who knows someone will have to do the match first.
By Ophannus 2013-04-29 13:40:54
Link | Quote | Reply

The absolute most annoying thing about the /DRK thing is that it was originally intended to give 2handed jobs like WAR and DRG another choice of DD sub instead of just /SAM for Hasso. The thing is 3 minutes of +15% JA haste with 2 min of +0% haste may not beat out fulltime 10% haste with Store TP/Meditate/Sekkanoki/Seigan+Third Eye. WAR/DRK and DRG/DRK cripples those jobs 5hit builds and loss of any semblence of defense. At least DRK/SAM and SAM/DRK would still have Third Eye if they *need it*. The only job that actually benefits DEEPLY from this is SAM because SAM gets Hasso/Med/Seigan/Sekka natively and /WAR was just for DA and Berserk. /DRK now makes them have capped JA haste and they get their cake too from Last Resort's Attack Bonus, all they lose is 10% DA which is nothing compared to +15% JA haste they get which stacks with Hasso.

Also did I mention SAM/DRK now will have Stun and Weapon Bash in their arsenal along with Blade Bash? Welcome to Samurai Fantasy XI. So now SAM has ultra fast 25% JA haste swings, some of the most powerful WS in the game, excellent JAs that cater highly powerful WS spammage and skillchains, 3 modes of Stun, can use 2 relics simultaneously and has excellent defensiv skills/abilities.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Azryel
user: Azryel
By Ragnarok.Azryel 2013-04-29 13:43:24
Link | Quote | Reply

For mythics /drk would be better than /war because the innate double attack job trait could actually gimp your aftermath... For most of us mere mortals though I'd imagine the choice would still be situation/preference based.
[+]
 Siren.Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2013-04-29 13:43:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ophannus said: »
The absolute most annoying thing about the /DRK thing is that it was originally intended to give 2handed jobs like WAR and DRG another choice of DD sub instead of just /SAM for Hasso. The thing is 3 minutes of +15% JA haste with 2 min of +0% haste may not beat out fulltime 10% haste with Store TP/Meditate/Sekkanoki/Seigan+Third Eye. WAR/DRK and DRG/DRK cripples those jobs 5hit builds and loss of any semblence of defense. At least DRK/SAM and SAM/DRK would still have Third Eye if they *need it*. The only job that actually benefits DEEPLY from this is SAM because SAM gets Hasso/Med/Seigan/Sekka natively and /WAR was just for DA and Berserk. /DRK now makes them have capped JA haste and they get their cake too from Last Resort's Attack Bonus, all they lose is 10% DA which is nothing compared to +15% JA haste they get which stacks with Hasso.

Also did I mention SAM/DRK now will have Stun and Weapon Bash in their arsenal along with Blade Bash? Welcome to Samurai Fantasy XI.
You forgot Tachi: Hobaku

[+]
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2013-04-29 13:44:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm surprised they went through with this adjustment... I don't think I read a single post from anyone who actually wanted it. Even SAMs were surprised.
By Chyula 2013-04-29 13:45:10
Link | Quote | Reply

So they just buffed SAM more, I thought SE never liked sam?.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celille
Server: Leviathan
user: Celille
By Leviathan.Celille 2013-04-29 13:45:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Also did I mention SAM/DRK now will have Stun and Weapon Bash in their arsenal along with Blade Bash? Welcome back to Samurai Fantasy XI 2013 edition.

fixed.
[+]
 Cerberus.Taint
Server: Cerberus
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2013-04-29 13:49:46
Link | Quote | Reply

SAM could already hit the 80% delay cap with Unkai pants.

The biggest side buffs to SAM since the DEF adjustment has been the ability to use Shoha (att boost) and not rely on Berzerk (Def down)to do decent damage and the ability to use Namas while fully buffed and never worry about grabbing hate. (Def doesn't matter)

SAM/DRK will have a niche but /WAR still stay alive and well.
[+]
By Ophannus 2013-04-29 13:51:03
Link | Quote | Reply

SE couldn't stand DRKs and WAR out DDing SAMs. They need to spread some more /SAM love around by giving DRG and WAR at least Store TP III natively like how they gave THF BLU and DNC dual wield. As a DRG, relying on SAM for haste, defense and 5 hit is annoying, a least half of thise I should get from my main job and my sub should only enhance it further like how /SAM only enhances what WAR and DRK was already good at, not fill in the gaps of a poorly designed job. I don't know much about WAR but I know that /DRK on DRG main will cripple us in any fight longer than 3 minutes and having 5% haste over hasso doesn't make up for losing the 5 hit build or meditate etc. We'll have to wait and see just how much damage SE did..

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Chyula 2013-04-29 13:56:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Candlejack said: »
Siren.Thoraeon said: »

Also did I mention SAM/DRK now will have Stun and Weapon Bash in their arsenal along with Blade Bash? Welcome to Samurai Fantasy XI.
You forgot Tachi: Hobaku

Lessee... Last Resort, that new trait that comes in at lv.15 DRK, Hasso, 5/5 sTP merits, 5/5 Ikishoten and 5/5 Zanshin merits, Quint spear, Platinum grip +1... a fully viable Leg Sweep stunlock spam, anyone?

Now I feel like busting out my Soboro again.
 Carbuncle.Hackett
Server: Carbuncle
user: nhackett
By Carbuncle.Hackett 2013-04-29 14:12:49
Link | Quote | Reply

oat2-4 Klaatubaradan...cough...tachi

This one.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-04-30 06:15:04
Link | Quote | Reply

LR is also +15% attack to go with the +15% Haste, basically it's for burst DPS in short fights.
 Ragnarok.Zeromega
By Ragnarok.Zeromega 2013-04-30 07:51:58
Link | Quote | Reply

unless they make another change to last resort to make it more competitive as a sub job, i can only see /drk being considered one of the standards in voidwatch. I do wish they would allow us to merit more ws (if its not 5/5 its not really merited) so i could toy with sam/drk, seems to be the only job that has the potential to utilize /drk without sacrificing too much... then again an extra 13~% haste for 3 minutes, or 15% while using seigan doesnt seem like any notable step up from 10% da and extra buffs on /war
 Siren.Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2013-04-30 07:55:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zeromega said: »
unless they make another change to last resort to make it more competitive as a sub job, i can only see /drk being considered one of the standards in voidwatch. I do wish they would allow us to merit more ws (if its not 5/5 its not really merited) so i could toy with sam/drk, seems to be the only job that has the potential to utilize /drk without sacrificing too much... then again an extra 13~% haste for 3 minutes, or 15% while using seigan doesnt seem like any notable step up from 10% da and extra buffs on /war
Average 9% haste and 10% DA are comparable, especially considering how Zanshin works for Sam. As for other buffs, LR is weaker than Berserk, but many Sam ws's have attack bonuses (ie Shoha). Really, the only thing they miss out on is the Acc from Aggressor.

But considering how Haste and DA behave when they are stacked, I would rather have average 9% Haste over 10% DA.
 Ragnarok.Zeromega
By Ragnarok.Zeromega 2013-04-30 08:01:26
Link | Quote | Reply

its 9% average if you never have hasso up, its less when you fulltime hasso due it it only being 12.5-13% or w/e ja haste when its up

also doesnt souleater still give acc when /drk? not that 1 minute of that is going to break the diff of aggressor, nice dmg boost though
 Siren.Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2013-04-30 08:04:13
Link | Quote | Reply

It is 9% average with or without Hasso up. JA haste caps at 25%.
(I know about AF3+2 pants, it would open up different pants if you wanted.)

SE does give acc, but it doesn't really compare to Aggressor.
 Ragnarok.Phettyx
user: Phetty
By Ragnarok.Phettyx 2013-04-30 08:10:41
Link | Quote | Reply

How does /drk affect 1 hand jobs now? More specifically Dnc/Drk.
 Quetzalcoatl.Supahkronic
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Supahkronic 2013-04-30 08:14:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Phettyx said: »
How does /drk affect 1 hand jobs now? More specifically Dnc/Drk.

Since Desperate Blows only grants the haste effect to 2 handed weapons... it's no different than it was before.
 Siren.Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2013-04-30 08:19:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Very basic maths:
Lets say there is a 5s delay over a period of 1000s. (Not realistic, but it doesn't matter since it is a ratio. Just for comparison sake.)

/war with full-time Hasso (using 0 DA gear, and capped gear haste)
DA+10%
Haste+37.5%
Delay 5->3.125
Attacks in 1000s = 320
Factor in DA = 352

/drk with full-time Hasso (using 0 DA gear, and capped gear haste)
LR up
DA+0%
Haste+50%
Delay 5->2.5
Attacks in 1000s = 400
Factor in DA = 400

LR down
DA+0%
Haste+37.5%
Delay 5->3.125
Attacks in 1000s = 320
Factor in DA = 320

Average = (0.6*400+0.4*320) = 368
--------------------------------
Summary:
/war average attacks = 352
/drk average attacks = 368

If full-time seigan: (same concept)
/war average attacks = 293.3
/drk average attacks = 306.7
---------------------------------

Haste has increasing return, DA has decreasing return. More DA favors /war less, more haste favors /drk more.
[+]