Does Ebisu Have More Hidden Features ?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Fishing » Does ebisu have more hidden features ?
Does ebisu have more hidden features ?
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2013-04-24 09:44:52
Link | Quote | Reply

i was trying to investigate the benefits of fishing smock and the puffing/noddy ring's effect when i discovered something weird about ebisu

I was just starting and using moat carps first since it is simple
im using little worms as bait on all characters
no other fishing gear has been used so far than rod and bait (no smock no rings no nothing) <----- emphasized since its confussing.
no fishing across jp midtnight was used.

here is my results
Characters, Fishing skill, rod, bait, target fish
Catches/rod cast's - amount of no catches after cap = Biterate in % (0 no catches indicate i finished before cap hit in)

1st char 110 ebisu - little worm - moat carp
198/223 -25 = 100%
77/77 -0 = 100%
213/238 -25 = 100%

2nd char 110 ebisu - little wom - moat carp
208/233 -25 = 100%
208/233 -25 = 100%
195/220 -25 = 100%

3rd char 110 ebisu - little wom - moat carp
210/235 -25 = 100%
206/235 -25 = 98%
211/236 -25 = 100%

4th char 42 yew - little worm - moat carp
175/228 -25 = 86%
200/305 -25 = 71%
181/256 -0 = 71%

the 3 ebisu characters over 3 days all have a exact 100% bite rate of moatcarps (except for one instants where its only 98%)
where as the yew rod using character only have around 71-86% biterate

and when i say exact 100% i mean it. No items, No crayfish and its verified by checking only the exact numbers of little worms are used

im going to look more into this by getting yew rod on the 3 ebisu using characters to see how it changes stuff
 Sylph.Otsego
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Otsego 2013-04-24 09:59:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably a bad test, depending on your actual skill level. My alt character has 70 fishing, using Halcyon Rod and Insect Balls, I have gone 200/200 on Moat Carp several times in a row, with one odd instance where I hooked 1 item once. This is also not a fair test, seeing as it is the only fish you can hook with said bait. The only hidden effect I know of on Ebisu Fishing Rod, aside from being able to catch 210 fish compared to 200 with all other rods is the faster stamina depletion. I would recommend running the test again with a few different rods, and see what your results are.

Side Note: I am not 100% sure about the actual catch limit on Ebisu Fishing Rod, as I have never tested it, and have never cared enough to actually find out.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-04-24 10:05:27
Link | Quote | Reply

pretty sure the rings are only like artisan and above, put the yew rod on the others and i bet you get similar results, get the 4th to like 60 and try again.
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2013-04-24 10:49:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Otsego said: »
Probably a bad test, depending on your actual skill level. My alt character has 70 fishing, using Halcyon Rod and Insect Balls, I have gone 200/200 on Moat Carp several times in a row, with one odd instance where I hooked 1 item once. This is also not a fair test, seeing as it is the only fish you can hook with said bait. The only hidden effect I know of on Ebisu Fishing Rod, aside from being able to catch 210 fish compared to 200 with all other rods is the faster stamina depletion. I would recommend running the test again with a few different rods, and see what your results are.

Side Note: I am not 100% sure about the actual catch limit on Ebisu Fishing Rod, as I have never tested it, and have never cared enough to actually find out.

little worms hooks crafysh as well ( and items)
also this was not really a test on abusi i jsut stumpled upon it gather test data in a no way near done data gathering.

about fishin skill do you think fishin skill determisn what fish get on the hooks ?
so the high fishing skill cause to get no cray fish on the hook ?
no fish was lost on the 4th due to low skill as far as ive seen
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2013-04-24 10:52:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
pretty sure the rings are only like artisan and above, put the yew rod on the others and i bet you get similar results, get the 4th to like 60 and try again.

rings are irrelevant in this case as...

Phoenix.Gaiarorshack said: »
no other fishing gear has been used so far than rod and bait (no smock no rings no nothing.

however i will shuffle around with some yew rods tonight
 Lakshmi.Prinnysmash
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Prinnysmash 2013-04-24 10:59:26
Link | Quote | Reply

From personal experience fishing up a Lu Shang's for my new character, Ebisu and Little worms at Knightswell is definitely 100 bite rate on moat carp. Conversely, same characters using Halcyon or Lu Shang's had 70-80% bite rate, the 20-30% was crayfish. I'm comfortable saying Ebisu was stopping me from getting crayfish bites. At the very least, with that bate at that location.
 Bismarck.Hsieh
Server: Bismarck
user: Hsieh
By Bismarck.Hsieh 2013-04-24 11:05:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I dunno about you but if monsters spawned in Port Jeuno while fishing Moat Carps we'd see a lot of dead fishermen all of a sudden. Anyways, Noddy Ring and Puffin Ring doesn't apply in this case since you need artisan and above and cities don't have monsters appear.

I would test Ebisu vs Lu Shangs on large prey fish such as Matsya, Titanicus, Ryguu Titan, etc or good ole Hakkyuu.

I wished the inventors guild had something new for fishing. Like Turn in 8 Shen's for a coalition task and can use balyd on getting new KI's that did something.

1. Catch new fish with KI or bait with balyd.
2. Zaldon guts.
3. Get rare item.
4. Profit.
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2013-04-24 11:25:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Prinnysmash said: »
From personal experience fishing up a Lu Shang's for my new character, Ebisu and Little worms at Knightswell is definitely 100 bite rate on moat carp. Conversely, same characters using Halcyon or Lu Shang's had 70-80% bite rate, the 20-30% was crayfish. I'm comfortable saying Ebisu was stopping me from getting crayfish bites. At the very least, with that bate at that location.

thank you i will investigate more with halcyon and lu shang ( in 4k moats carps when i get one for the 4th characters)

Bismarck.Hsieh said: »
I dunno about you but if monsters spawned in Port Jeuno while fishing Moat Carps we'd see a lot of dead fishermen all of a sudden. Anyways, Noddy Ring and Puffin Ring doesn't apply in this case since you need artisan and above and cities don't have monsters appear.

I would test Ebisu vs Lu Shangs on large prey fish such as Matsya, Titanicus, Ryguu Titan, etc or good ole Hakkyuu.

I wished the inventors guild had something new for fishing. Like Turn in 8 Shen's for a coalition task and can use balyd on getting new KI's that did something.

1. Catch new fish with KI or bait with balyd.
2. Zaldon guts.
3. Get rare item.
4. Profit.

monster in port jueno ??? O.o
also again no ring or smocks have been used. the test was meant to test those but have not been used yet. this data is from baseline biterate gathering

hak is on testing but but not for different rods since anythings else but ebisu break.

but the testing for ebisu's weird behavior im defiantly going to test some other places and fish. black sole among others once lu shang is done
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2013-04-26 10:25:30
Link | Quote | Reply

i just closed down my fish stats parser by accident but luckily i got to look at the info first.

1st character with yew rod this time
199/224 -25 (100%)

4th character was still a pretty tad below 100%

so its not the rod
so do high skills in this area increase moat carp catches ?

that would explain why moat carp are now alot higher biterate thne i used to be for me when i startet charting my fishing
back then i had around 50% bite of moatcarps and now its around 100%

never the less the high bitrate on moatcarp makes it unusefull for further testing on the smock/rings