Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Desperate Blows and /Sam
Desperate Blows and /Sam
 Phoenix.Tazmaliah
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Tazmaliah
By Phoenix.Tazmaliah 2013-04-08 18:32:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't think of a single time I've ever not been /sam. Is it worth it to keep 5/5 on desperate blows considering I only need 3/5 to cap JA haste with hasso? The only time I wouldn't be over the cap is when I'm using seigan/third eye, but most of those times I don't really want to be in total zerg mode anyway.

It's entirely possible that I've been doing VW wrong, but since until recently I only ever had OAT g.sword, I focused on maintaining 5-hit. I generally seemed to be able to keep up with damage in Voidwatch being about 4-5% behind some ragnarok Drk's that I know aren't terrible so it never seemed a bad choice though I never checked with spreadsheet. Now that I have apoc though, /war in VW might be better with it than Fulg.

Dropping two merits in desperate blows would let me cap diabolic eye for another 5% accuracy (seems nice given adoulin release) and one more in D.seal which can be a nice 10% reduction on dread spikes or drain 2.

With XP flowing like the mana of heaven, seems easy enough to experiment, but wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something or being asininely stupid by never going /war. Thx for input~
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2013-04-08 18:50:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Uh... I was under the impression that Hasso was only 10% JA Haste.

And you really shouldn't demerit Desperate Blows, since you'll find yourself on /WAR for those high-buff or zerg fights sometimes. That'll be where your hasso plan falls apart.

Instead, save Hasso for when Last Resort is down. That's where you could get the benefits of both JAs.
[+]
 Phoenix.Tazmaliah
By Phoenix.Tazmaliah 2013-04-08 19:01:59
Link | Quote | Reply

It is only 10%, but with 3 merits I get the other 15% to hit cap. That was something I was thinking about as well as I had completely forgotten about desperate blows -delay until recently. Ride seigan/third eye until last resort down. My mages are in your debt~
 Fenrir.Calamity
Server: Fenrir
user: Calamity
By Fenrir.Calamity 2013-04-08 19:13:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzacoatl said: »
Uh... I was under the impression that Hasso was only 10% JA Haste.

And you really shouldn't demerit Desperate Blows, since you'll find yourself on /WAR for high-buff or zerg fights sometimes. That'll be where your hasso plan falls apart.

Instead, save Hasso for when Last Resort is down. That's where you could get the benefits of both JAs.

I agree with this. And really for apoc, you're better off /sam with seigan/third eye up, since if you're using apoc over GS, it should indicate that you're more concerned over survivability.

If you need, you can bring hasso up during the short period where LR is down, which amounts to the same 25% with LR up and 10% with LR down that you'd have with your plan, but I see the utility of seigan/third eye being substantially better than an extra 5 acc and occasionally taking 10% off the casting time off dspikes and drain2.

Also, another 1 merit in diabolic eye gives 5 acc, not 5% acc, which either way, you should not need with apoc.
[+]
 Phoenix.Tazmaliah
By Phoenix.Tazmaliah 2013-04-08 19:19:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Calamity said: »
Also, another 1 merit in diabolic eye gives 5 acc, not 5% acc, which either way, you should not need with apoc.

Ah. I was just going by the merit tooltip which said 5%.
 Phoenix.Dramatica
user: Darkmagi1
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2013-04-08 19:23:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, there are still times where you either seigan or hasso gets dispelled too. Keep 5/5
[+]
 Fenrir.Calamity
Server: Fenrir
user: Calamity
By Fenrir.Calamity 2013-04-08 20:13:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Yep. Keep the 5/5. It really does offer you a lot more flexibility than other options.
[+]
 Cerberus.Taint
Server: Cerberus
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2013-04-09 19:48:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Definitely 5/5 DB one of the best merits in the game.
[+]
 Siren.Satsui
Server: Siren
user: Satsui
By Siren.Satsui 2013-04-16 17:17:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Isn't SE talking about changing Desperate Blows and Last Resort in up coming updates? Anyone have info on that?
 Phoenix.Dramatica
user: Darkmagi1
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2013-04-16 17:22:14
Link | Quote | Reply

It will be the same, Last resort is going to have a 15% base haste on it, so merits will give 2% each now instead.
 Siren.Satsui
Server: Siren
user: Satsui
By Siren.Satsui 2013-04-16 17:27:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Sweet. Advantage: Dark Knight still!

Will open up interesting Job combos though. Maybe not as much as it would have Pre-Embrava Nerf.