Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Gem Cuirass Set
Gem Cuirass Set
 Pandemonium.Fawkes
Server: Pandemonium
Game: FFXI
user: Fawkes
By Pandemonium.Fawkes 2009-06-26 12:26:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Looking for a bit of advice from other PLD out there. Is the Gem Cuirass Set actually worth the gil until I can get my hands on some better rare/ex equipment?
 Cerberus.Hikuzo
Server: Cerberus
user: Hikuzo
By Cerberus.Hikuzo 2009-06-26 12:55:02
Link | Quote | Reply

i wish i could shar with you that information, but IMO, its not worth it since you can get Iron Ram set from campaign for free. and its better the the NQ adaman set =D

although a gem body would be sexy XD

and a kaiser shild
 Seraph.Greyfin
Server: Seraph
user: Greyfin
By Seraph.Greyfin 2009-06-26 12:57:34
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not worth it. Short answer.
 Cerberus.Hikuzo
By Cerberus.Hikuzo 2009-06-26 13:00:59
Link | Quote | Reply

the body and shield might be =D
if your friggn rich =D
 Bahamut.Rumaha
Server: Bahamut
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-06-26 13:01:48
Link | Quote | Reply

If u have the money the head body hands and legs are very nice... Feet are still fail if u have a shield though. unless ur flashing or going for the HP build the Gem body > Gallant nice enm on the full set and a lot of Vit and Def...

Id say the Gem body if ur gna get 1 piece

Set stats - Feet

Gem -

Def +145
HP+ 14
MP+36
Vit +17
Agi-2
Mnd+5
Eva-6
Enm+14
Feet- Def18 Hp+17 Vit+2 Agi-2 Enm+2

Adaman NQ-

Def +141
HP+12
MP+30
Vit+13
Agi-1
Eva-4
Enm+10
\Feet- def17 vit+1 Agi-1 Enm+1

Gallant-

Def-121
HP+57
Mnd+3
Agi+3
Dex+3
Vit+4
Divine+5
Enm+8
Enhancing+5
Enhance Cover

Feet-
Def14 HP+15 Chr+5
Enhance Holy Circle
Shield+10
 Bismarck.Idevlboy
Server: Bismarck
user: idevlboy
By Bismarck.Idevlboy 2009-06-26 13:01:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I would honestly have to say no. These pieces are pretty rare as is due to the low demand for the set and relative availability of better pieces. Much of a PLDs armor arsenal is situational so there are very few pieces that will be considered "Full time" and the Gem set still (IMO) won't qualify.

If you are serious about PLD your best bet would be to just grab the NQ set to tide you over while leveling and work towards, koening or kaiser from sky/hnm, valor from dyna, or +1 AF from Limbus. Most of these pieces in combination will surpass the stats and usability of the Gem pieces.

Another thing to consider is demand. Due to the general low demand for these pieces you may find them difficult to sell back when you finally do replace them.
 Ifrit.Ysuran
Server: Ifrit
user: Ysuran
By Ifrit.Ysuran 2009-06-26 13:03:54
Link | Quote | Reply

no adman is just fine, work on getting relic armor its somewhat easy to get.

ok let me rephrase that, if you have the gil to waste because you have nothing else (a craft to level for example) you would be better off buying good gear, like a Gigant Mantle so when/if you tank gods and the such you'll have the nice HP boost. If you solo a lot a Vermillion Cloak could help there, or if you want to try and go DD PLD maybe get a Haubergeon, Chivalrus Chain and a Potent Belt.

ultimately in the end it's your choice but my opinion is the gem set isn't worth it with all the other use for gil out there.
 Unicorn.Excesspain
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-06-26 13:06:58
Link | Quote | Reply

ACP11 body with fast cast and enmity + = win.
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2009-06-26 13:36:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay. Let's go through this piece by piece.

Head: It depends what you're doing. If you're /NIN, use adaman for voke/flash macro. Walahra Turban or Askar Head for casting Utsu and I guess for "melee" when you have nothing else to do. /WAR, go for Koenig Head. FUlltime Adaman if you don't have one. IN BOTH CASES, for Enmity, Aegishelm from Fafnir is without a doubt the best thing ever. I paid Kupo for mine, and don't regret it. It is an awesome piece. Adaman becomes completely obsolete if you can get a Valor Crown also.

Body: Adaman and Artifact body is a matter of prefferance between HP and MP. Your call. After that in priority would be Valor Surcoat. Then ACP11 body, just make it like Excesspain said. If you're a hardcore PLD, Hydra Haubert. EXTREMELY *** rare (like 6 exist on our server) but it's +9 Enmity. I'll repeat that. +9 Enmity.

Hands: Well...hands are iffy. Nothing is really great and you have many options. Askar, and Iron Ram stand out though. If you can, Homam is the best you can get though. I'll let you experiment with this; hands are a huge matter of personal preferrance without Homam.

Legs: I never used Adaman legs, so I can't tell you. Crimson Cuisses are nice for defense and elemental mobs, as well as kiting, but again are kinda hard to get. Kirin is a stingy son of a *** with Crimson. For Enmity, I used Iron Ram legs. +4 Enmity if I recall. Not too bad. Again, Homam is the way to go. For /NIN and a lot of cases /WAR, Homam Legs cannot be beat. However, if Crimson and Homam are not available, Gem leggings might goive the one up on Iron Ram with defense and a HP/MP boost.

Feet:Another matter of prefferance. Except the only REAL options are Askar feet for the -2% damage reduction while /NIN, and Artifact feet. +10 shield skill is rediculous and can't really be beat by anything. Go for the Artifact+1 feet from Limbus if possible.

All "adaman" here can be swapped for "gem", since that was the main point. Happy PLDing.
 Bismarck.Idevlboy
Server: Bismarck
user: idevlboy
By Bismarck.Idevlboy 2009-06-26 14:13:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Eternaltriumph said:
Okay. Let's go through this piece by piece.
Head: It depends what you're doing. If you're /NIN, use adaman for voke/flash macro. Walahra Turban or Askar Head for casting Utsu and I guess for "melee" when you have nothing else to do. /WAR, go for Koenig Head. FUlltime Adaman if you don't have one. IN BOTH CASES, for Enmity, Aegishelm from Fafnir is without a doubt the best thing ever. I paid Kupo for mine, and don't regret it. It is an awesome piece. Adaman becomes completely obsolete if you can get a Valor Crown also.

Body: Adaman and Artifact body is a matter of prefferance between HP and MP. Your call. After that in priority would be Valor Surcoat. Then ACP11 body, just make it like Excesspain said. If you're a hardcore PLD, Hydra Haubert. EXTREMELY *** rare (like 6 exist on our server) but it's +9 Enmity. I'll repeat that. +9 Enmity.

Hands: Well...hands are iffy. Nothing is really great and you have many options. Askar, and Iron Ram stand out though. If you can, Homam is the best you can get though. I'll let you experiment with this; hands are a huge matter of personal preferrance without Homam.

Legs: I never used Adaman legs, so I can't tell you. Crimson Cuisses are nice for defense and elemental mobs, as well as kiting, but again are kinda hard to get. Kirin is a stingy son of a *** with Crimson. For Enmity, I used Iron Ram legs. +4 Enmity if I recall. Not too bad. Again, Homam is the way to go. For /NIN and a lot of cases /WAR, Homam Legs cannot be beat. However, if Crimson and Homam are not available, Gem leggings might goive the one up on Iron Ram with defense and a HP/MP boost.

Feet:Another matter of prefferance. Except the only REAL options are Askar feet for the -2% damage reduction while /NIN, and Artifact feet. +10 shield skill is rediculous and can't really be beat by anything. Go for the Artifact+1 feet from Limbus if possible.

All "adaman" here can be swapped for "gem", since that was the main point. Happy PLDing.

^^ This! - Exactly what i was trying to say but with all the detail i was to lazy to add in. So much about PLD is situational and personal preference. Go with what you like and what works for the events that you do. If you got the money to try out some of the pricy gear by all means do so but there is a chance you will be let down.
[+]
 Hades.Denaub
Server: Hades
user: Denaub
By Hades.Denaub 2009-06-26 14:39:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Overall due to it's mehness with gear you can get for free/time, none of the Gem gear is worth it. Or to put it this way there's been a player trying to shout hock a Gem Cuirass for a few months now it seems.
 Cerberus.Eanae
user: Eanae
By Cerberus.Eanae 2009-06-26 15:48:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Gem Body isn't bad for /war. It's better than NQ gallant. Nuevo is pretty iffy for /war tanking due to it's low defense. I personally idle in Koenig /war, but I doubt that'd be an option for you. So I'd say Gem Body >might< be a worth while investment if you can see yourself subbing war often. /rdm, /drk, and /nin will all get more from Nuevo.

Edit: Don't forget Iron Ram Body comes out next month.
 Cerberus.Hikuzo
By Cerberus.Hikuzo 2009-06-26 16:04:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Eanae said:
Gem Body isn't bad for /war. It's better than NQ gallant. Nuevo is pretty iffy for /war tanking due to it's low defense. I personally idle in Koenig /war, but I doubt that'd be an option for you. So I'd say Gem Body >might< be a worth while investment if you can see yourself subbing war often. /rdm, /drk, and /nin will all get more from Nuevo.

Edit: Don't forget Iron Ram Body comes out next month.

mmmm i cant wait.. =D
 Pandemonium.Fawkes
user: Fawkes
By Pandemonium.Fawkes 2009-06-26 17:10:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks everyone for advice, I ended up buying the Gem Cuirass. I already had the feet and hands but the head and legs were asking way too much so I never bothered funding greedy people. Thanks for advice, guess I won't be using Gem feet though.
 Ifrit.Hitoseijuro
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Hitoseijuro 2009-06-26 17:22:14
Link | Quote | Reply

As /nin, lets break it down:

Head, idle in walahra Turban, use Iron Ram for JAs/Cure/Flash(only if recast is capped)

Body, idle in Hauby +1, Get ACP body for enmity

hands, idle in dusk, work for homam, use Iron Ram for enmity til homam

Legs, anything will do, dusk,relic, Iron ram, askar, work for homam, use Iron Ram for emnity, work for Crimson for kites

Feet, idle in dusk, work for homam, use iron ram for emnity on JAs/Cures

Use gem only if you cant or are still working for IR gear. Chances are you could easily work for IR gear before even getting any Gem pieces, unless you know who has them, or are syncthing them like crazy.

-note- I.R. body wont beat out ACPs +5 enmity/5% FC unless it comes out with 9 enmity, so dont bother using that for enmity outside or JAs/Cures, for flash ACP wins outside of Hydra. If you used ACP body for another job, than use IR body when it comes out.

As far as /war

head - koenig
body -
hands -
legs -
feet - AF(+1)

Anything will do for the rest, Id use homam legs/hands when you get them, they provide good HP/MP and haste. I personally like using darksteel harness, hoping for HQ one day until I get into Inherjar for odin gear. I stop at the subligar though >_>
 Asura.Malekith
Server: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2009-06-26 21:08:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Make it simple... GEM gear = Town Gear

No serious PLD at 75 would FT wear that stuff unless they lacked access to Limbus, lost all their AF, were too lazy to do campaign battle or just flat out didn't know wtf they were doing...

Seriously don't waste your time with it... unless of course you just have to be one of those white box loving *** who absolutely have to have all the best gear even if it's just to wear for like 1 level...

Don't be one of those people...