How Is Ares' +1 Set With Cata Aftermath?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » How is Ares' +1 set with Cata Aftermath?
How is Ares' +1 set with Cata Aftermath?
First Page 2
 Lakshmi.Abaddon
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: terry
By Lakshmi.Abaddon 2013-03-15 23:07:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Title basically says it all. According to BG two pieces of Ares' +1 is 3% double Attack and the whole set is 9% double attack(not sure if confirmed). Minus store tp X-hit builds, I'm assuming one could make one hell of a multi hit built with Atheling mantle, windbuffet belt, brutal, Anger bomblet, pole grip and portus/mala neck piece. Plus the set gives 16% haste enough to cap with aftermath. I believe theres also a +1% double attack ring from LoL! lol....

Currently doin salvage now to help fund my Apoc. Does anyone have full Ares' +1 yet? and do you use it in the same fashion as mention?
 Asura.Flufferkins
Server: Asura
By Asura.Flufferkins 2013-03-16 01:00:07
Link | Quote | Reply

No.
[+]
 Bismarck.Hirotic
Server: Bismarck
user: Hirotic
By Bismarck.Hirotic 2013-03-16 02:04:29
Link | Quote | Reply

U would loose your 5hit build doin full arers+1 so I dont think most drks would wana try
 Ragnarok.Returner
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nameless
By Ragnarok.Returner 2013-03-16 19:46:30
Link | Quote | Reply

AF3 +2 helm, phorcys feet, and phorcy's hands are 10% DA, and you can still use armada body or pbody for addition 3% DA or TA. I don't think anyone will be TPing in Ares other than the legs.

PS: sad to say, Ares +1 set is probably one of the most disappointing set for DD since Abyssea came out.
[+]
 Bismarck.Altar
Server: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2013-03-16 19:55:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Returner said: »
PS: sad to say, Ares +1 set is probably one of the most disappointing set for DD since Abyssea came out.

Depends what you were expecting...
 Ragnarok.Returner
user: Nameless
By Ragnarok.Returner 2013-03-16 23:45:44
Link | Quote | Reply

was expecting Neo Nyzul set type of power, where all 5 pieces are useful.
[+]
 Cerberus.Detzu
Server: Cerberus
user: Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2013-03-17 04:47:28
Link | Quote | Reply

AF3 +2 helm, phorcys feet, and phorcy's hands are 10% DA, and you can still use armada body or pbody for addition 3% DA or TA. I don't think anyone will be TPing in Ares other than the legs.

AF3+2 = 3% DA
Phorcys hands = 2% DA
Phorcys feet = 3 % DA

That's 8 %

With Ares +1 hands and legs you add 1% more DA.
[+]
 Cerberus.Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2013-03-17 04:49:21
Link | Quote | Reply

was expecting Neo Nyzul set type of power, where all 5 pieces are useful.

Each piece of ares +1 is useful, well probably not the feet.
They're just useful on different jobs/weapons/ws/tp sets.
[+]
 Asura.Failaras
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2013-03-17 04:53:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Compared to most the crap SE puts out Ares +1 turned out pretty nice, the stacking set bonuses really beefed the items up.
[+]
 Diabolos.Raelia
Server: Diabolos
user: Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2013-03-17 11:59:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Kers has more applications than Ares +1 if you also play PLD or something. That's rather telling.

Legs are a great aftermath piece. Feet are a strong Cata piece. Body is an Armadaberk with 4% haste...
 Fenrir.Calamity
Server: Fenrir
user: Calamity
By Fenrir.Calamity 2013-03-17 12:32:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Raelia said: »
Kers has more applications than Ares +1 if you also play PLD or something. That's rather telling.

Legs are a great aftermath piece. Feet are a strong Cata piece. Body is an Armadaberk with 4% haste...

Except that it's also an armadaberk without possibility of the stp or the DA, which is a strong blow against it.
[+]
 Diabolos.Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2013-03-17 12:45:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Calamity said: »

Except that it's also an armadaberk without possibility of the stp or the DA, which is a strong blow against it.
Because 4% haste doesn't let you get that elsewhere, right...
 Fenrir.Calamity
By Fenrir.Calamity 2013-03-17 13:10:41
Link | Quote | Reply

For an ideal apoc 5 hit build? I'll bite. Show me your set. Show me it's equal/superior.
 Diabolos.Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2013-03-17 13:12:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Hard target /WAR 6-hit aftermath. I didn't say 5-hit, I said 'applications'.
ItemSet 289705

Really just a spreadsheet queen, since nobody's gonna be lowmanning anything that tough.
 Ragnarok.Bigsyke
user: Bigsyke
By Ragnarok.Bigsyke 2013-03-17 13:13:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Because 4% haste doesn't let you get that elsewhere, right...

Because most good sTP pieces don't already give you more than enough haste, right...
 Cerberus.Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2013-03-17 13:31:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Hard target /WAR 6-hit aftermath. I didn't say 5-hit, I said 'applications'.
ItemSet 289705

Really just a spreadsheet queen, since nobody's gonna be lowmanning anything that tough.

You have an example of the target? Level, def etc.
 Fenrir.Calamity
By Fenrir.Calamity 2013-03-17 13:35:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't see it. I mean, in scenarios where you're using apoc, dropping from a 6 hit to a 5 hit just seems to me like a downgrade, even with the additional DA.

edit: It should be noted, I'm not trying to tear down the ker's just for the sake of it. I actually looked really hard trying to find practical uses on drk. And you're right about the legs being great for aftermath, and the feet being a good alternative to dilaram's for cata... but that's really all I got.
 Diabolos.Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2013-03-17 14:24:53
Link | Quote | Reply

edit: It should be noted, I'm not trying to tear down the ker's just for the sake of it. I actually looked really hard trying to find practical uses on drk. And you're right about the legs being great for aftermath, and the feet being a good alternative to dilaram's for cata... but that's really all I got.
And that's really about all there is, yeah. Ares' +1 is getting crapped on pretty hard in this thread too, but I think Ker's is still overlooked, especially for Apoc, and the thread title is asking the wrong question.

If you're doing enough NeoSlavage to have/consider multiple Ares +1, some Ker's pieces to mix in are easy to pick up.

Detzu~ That set caps accuracy on Ig-Alima with self buffs alone. No food (RCB rather), no Stalwarts. Just DE+Agg or SE+Agg. With buffs? Just gonna play it safe and say 'Anything'. There's always a catch, be it capping total haste or needing -dt, but this is possibly the ultimate hard target set.

With new content coming soon, having a ridiculous set like that might be handy though.
 Fenrir.Calamity
By Fenrir.Calamity 2013-03-17 15:01:06
Link | Quote | Reply

It's possible, depending on what comes out with the new expansion, that ker's body might actually become a valid option. At the moment though, with currently available gear, it just looks more like a filler piece until you can get what you actually want, whhether it be a real armadaberk, enif, or shadow bp. Who knows. Maybe that new heavy dd armor that looks like a pup and a pld had a baby, ate it, then ***it back out, might bring some new options to the table. But god I hope not, cause I really don't wanna wear that ugly *** pupadin armor.
 Asura.Failaras
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2013-03-17 18:55:35
Link | Quote | Reply

On the flipside, Ares+1 has more applications than Kurs if you play War. And I'm pretty sure tons more people play War than Pld these days.
 Fenrir.Calamity
By Fenrir.Calamity 2013-03-17 19:37:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Ares' body +1 would be fantastic... if only Phorcys never existed. If you're ok with an exchange of 7% damage on the first hit of reso, for 1% more attk, I suppose it could still work as a stand in if you have an easier time with salvage than NNI... but this is a strictly hypothetical scenario that I find unlikely, even after the embrava nerf.

Really, I think it's single best applicable use is as an idle piece, having the regen of shadow bp, and refresh of twilight all in one, but I'd be hard pressed to justify the time sink unless, like me, you're gonna end up collecting more bloodstained plans than you're really going to need.
 Ragnarok.Evihime
user: Evihime
By Ragnarok.Evihime 2013-03-19 15:05:26
Link | Quote | Reply

ItemSet 289642

I need some1 to do the maths but I think this sets beats Bale head and phorcys hands on high shits.
Magic/JA haste cap / regain / AM on
Boost STR ON
Rolls

Will be even more useful when we lose embrava goodness and we will be needing marches.
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2013-03-19 15:15:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Evihime said: »
ItemSet 289642

I need some1 to do the maths but I think this sets beats Bale head and phorcys hands on high shits.
Boost STR ON
Rolls

Will be even more useful when we lose embrava goodness and we will be needing marches.
/SAM or /WAR? I'm thinking this could be a helluva /SAM hence the emphasis on double attack.
 Ragnarok.Evihime
By Ragnarok.Evihime 2013-03-19 15:17:50
Link | Quote | Reply

This is actually good for both subs imo, when haste is caped or I got regain from embrava I usually dont care about xhit, (should never be more then 7 tho)
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2013-03-19 15:21:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I really want to add that to the guide but it seems like it's having layout issues (itemsets won't show pictures of gear) x.x
 Ragnarok.Evihime
By Ragnarok.Evihime 2013-03-19 15:30:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Whole FFXIAH forums having that problem atm it seems, its not the guide
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2013-03-19 15:32:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Whole FFXIAH forums having that problem atm it seems, its not the guide
Ah okay, I'll have to wait til it's fixed, but i'll have it mentioned somewhere in the meantime.

There have been some questions being raised about Ares+1 anyways, so that would be good to show.
 Asura.Jem
user: Jemmy
By Asura.Jem 2013-03-21 07:35:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzacoatl said: »
ItemSet 289642

Boost STR ON
Rolls

/SAM or /WAR? I'm thinking this could be a helluva /SAM hence the emphasis on double attack.

The thing with using that SAM sub is that switching to Hag Stone + Ogier Gauntlets + Tyrants + Wrathwing would allow you to 5 hit. Could possibly drop Tyrants/Hag with regain. Or Armada > Valk Breastplate but that's possible to use in the initial set too. So dropping 1 hit versus 5-7% DA.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-03-21 08:30:09
Link | Quote | Reply

All conversation about situational pld-pretending-to-be-dd usage aside: ares +1 on drk feels like "i got something shiny so I'm going to force it even though I don't have room for it". Pants are ok in conjunction with sometimes head, hands would be marvelous if drk didn't already have empy that we should all have by now. The problem with hands is that if youre not wearing empy you're probably wearing phorcys hands and feet which will kick-*** ares into next year.

I carry head and legs for absolute haste-cap but the head will be the first thing to go when I need to add something else to my arsenal.
 Fenrir.Leoheart
user: Leoheart
By Fenrir.Leoheart 2013-03-21 08:34:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Are's +1 is more of a WAR thing really, sucks because It's such an attractive gear set :(
[+]
First Page 2