Setup For Provenance Watcher Fight?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Endgame » Voidwatch » Setup For Provenance Watcher Fight?
Setup For Provenance Watcher Fight?
 Asura.Expendable
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: mikira
By Asura.Expendable 2013-02-03 23:15:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone have any recommended setup/strategy for this fight? I would join a pug but the last one I tired to join declined me because I've had no experience before. Tried looking on wiki but no luck :( So any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2013-02-03 23:56:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Expendable said: »
Anyone have any recommended setup/strategy for this fight? I would join a pug but the last one I tired to join declined me because I've had no experience before. Tried looking on wiki but no luck :( So any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Lol why'd you need experience for prov watcher, it's same as every other VW except it pops add if stun fails.
WAR WAR WAR DRK BRD/SCH COR

BLM BLM SCH/BLM WHM/SCH THF/NIN (last spot I usually put BLU, but it can be anything really)

WAR in DD pt can be other well geared DD such as SAM empy MNK mythic DRG RNG etc. But the more WAR you have the more MS you can use. Just make sure you keep at least 1 WAR and DRK no matter what for enhanced Chaos/DA roll. BRD/SCH to firestorm the CORs in KI BC for WF. Or if your COR have no last stand merit, they'd need firestorm for prov watcher too.

Have SCH/BLM solo stun the spells, if his stun is down say in /p chat so BLMs can cover it for a while.

If fetter pop kill it ASAP. Whether it's weak against magic or physical depend on it's color.

As long as your DDs are capable of dealing dmg, it should die in 1.5 min or less with 100% win rate.
 Asura.Expendable
By Asura.Expendable 2013-02-04 00:03:34
Link | Quote | Reply

No idea lol. It was my friends who told me . I wasn't even given a reply. :( but yeah, just looking to get this out of the way so I can focus on other stuff. Much thanks for the help though :)
 Lakshmi.Mahoro
Server: Lakshmi
user: Mahoro577
By Lakshmi.Mahoro 2013-02-04 09:17:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Quoted setup is mostly the "accepted" one, although many groups sacrifice a spot in the DD parties for another WHM, especially if you don't want people to switch jobs from Caturae fights and enter Prov right away.
 Asura.Expendable
By Asura.Expendable 2013-02-04 09:34:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, was just asking some friends ingame and looking the rest of it on BG as well to get a feel of how best to do this. Forgot all about the other three fights but an ingame friend walked me through that :3

It goes without saying, but pretty much everyone two hour on PW, with BRD, SCH, and COR doing their buffs to group too, no?
 Ragnarok.Zirael
user: Zirael
By Ragnarok.Zirael 2013-02-04 09:53:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

BLM BLM SCH/BLM WHM/SCH THF/NIN XXX
That's a nice setup for dragon fight itself, especially for geared and experienced people, but for PUGing crutaes (and ultimately dragon, since people are most often too lazy to change jobs, or don't have more than one well geared) I do:
SCH/BLM BRD COR WAR DRK SAM
WHM BRD COR WAR DRK MNK
BLM BLM SCH/BLM THF NIN(BLU) SMN

WAR+DRK supercharge Chaos+Fighter rolls.
SAM NIN MNK or THF can tank second crutae, don't bother bringing PLD.
For dragon, BRD and COR rotate DD parties, CORs do Chaos+Fihter & Samurai+Allie's. BRDs do Minuet 5+4+3+2. Can replace Minuet2 with March if your WHM is too lazy to haste all DDs.
For dragon, one SCH stuns TP moves (Frogor Maximus etc), one SCH stuns spells.
This setup works well for shouts, try not to deviate from job layout too much and you'll be fine.
 Ragnarok.Ravant
user: Ravant
By Ragnarok.Ravant 2013-02-04 10:08:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Afania said: »
Lol why'd you need experience for prov watcher, it's same as every other VW except it pops add if stun fails.

You would be surprised how often people will decline anyone without experience fighting it. Almost all PW or final tier of jeuno shouts on ragnarok ask for veterans only.
By Boredwithyou 2013-02-04 10:23:16
Link | Quote | Reply

We go Pt 1 war x3, drk brd Cor. Pt 2. Sam mnk drg thf rng nin. Pt 3. Blm blm sch Cor brd rdm.

No need for whms just use temps. No need to swap brd or cors the DD should be well enough. Just buff, use temps, go to town. The 2nd pt should do procs whenever they get a 3/5. Blms rdms stun order. After 45sec chainspell stun lock. Then have the blm nuke and hit 3/5. He should be dead after chainspell if not 1 red proc from blm or pt 2 should do it. If you can't kill by then get stronger DD or brd Cor swaps.
 Odin.Volane
Server: Odin
user: Volane
By Odin.Volane 2013-02-04 10:24:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Because sucky dds easily destroy your work and you go home with nothing. I can understand why people want at least well equipped if not well playing DDs (obviously its difficult to spam makros) for their PW DD spots. Same for the Stunner, he should not be sleeping at the job.

However as long as you know how to proc and and can actually proc (I'm looking at you BLUs w/o skill!) a mage/support job should be fine.

Hell, even a DD who outright sucks is fine, if the others are good. (This is most likely the case in 95% of PW shouts).

Your profile isnt up to date but I see you had a 90 BLM 20 months ago, offer that if you can and you should be fine.
 Asura.Expendable
By Asura.Expendable 2013-02-04 12:25:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Volane said: »
Because sucky dds easily destroy your work and you go home with nothing. I can understand why people want at least well equipped if not well playing DDs (obviously its difficult to spam makros) for their PW DD spots. Same for the Stunner, he should not be sleeping at the job.

However as long as you know how to proc and and can actually proc (I'm looking at you BLUs w/o skill!) a mage/support job should be fine.

Hell, even a DD who outright sucks is fine, if the others are good. (This is most likely the case in 95% of PW shouts).

Your profile isnt up to date but I see you had a 90 BLM 20 months ago, offer that if you can and you should be fine.

Yeah, I haven't been on Asura in a long time. I was trying to get into the run as DRK Apoc, but no luck lol. Here's hoping my first run won't be a disaster though -_-
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-02-04 12:36:14
Link | Quote | Reply

DD x4-6
BRD x2(at least one should have daurdaubla ideally)
WHM x1-2
BLM x1-2
SCH/BLM x2-3
COR x1-2
THF x1

You don't need WAR only or amazing gear to win reliably, SCHs keep stun order and stun all tp moves/spells. Rotate your BRDs and CORs beforehand so all DD have all available buffs. Embrava while it's around. The BLM is optional TBH, but procs can help if your stunners suck. You should be relying on stunners more than procs though, DD shouldn't waste their TP on proc WS and it doesn't seem to have many procs to begin with.
 Ragnarok.Afania
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2013-02-04 12:59:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mahoro said: »
Quoted setup is mostly the "accepted" one, although many groups sacrifice a spot in the DD parties for another WHM, especially if you don't want people to switch jobs from Caturae fights and enter Prov right away.

You only need 1 WHM for entire ally for 3 caturae fight too, just assign 1 WHM to accession -na for 1 pt, and SCH to do another pt. Rest is same old proc zerg. Before lock buff nerf I often have 1 embrava mule outside of Caturae BC to embrava too, that makes every BC done in 2~5 min. It's harder to kill that fast now though.

You don't need a bunch of WARs, but they're fool proof if you don't know your DDs. I made a lot(and I mean a lot!) of /shout prov pt, usually avg WAR DRK would outperform avg SAM MNK DRG RNG, unless your SAM MNK DRG RNG is above avg. So ally often ended up with a bunch of WARs unless it's good SAM MNK DRG RNG I know of.
 Cerberus.Ephexis
Server: Cerberus
user: Ephexis
By Cerberus.Ephexis 2013-02-20 05:03:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Setup I've used, and I run as pickups, is:

WAR WAR DRK COR BRD WHM
MNK THF (WAR/DRK/SAM) COR BRD WHM
BLM BLM BLM SCH SCH NIN

I have Embrava all the way through, and the reason for the heavy BLM influence is purely faster procs. Usually, all 3 cats and the dragon are gone within 20mins of arrival.

I tend to have to go with this route when I do run, as there's a fair few questionables on Cerberus. I've had 3 losses on PW, caused by a mixture of bad luck and people not listening/playing as well as they could). Alongside that, I've around 250 wins. A few regular people turn up, but the majority of the time I'm taking new people and getting them their staff/sword.

Majority of other runs on Cerberus set up as if to proc everything, and as such they spend two hours in there only to wipe due to not having enough power.