Forum » FFXIV » Suggestions » Crafting system for FFXIV
Crafting system for FFXIV
 Ramuh.Alphir
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Alphir
By Ramuh.Alphir 2009-06-14 02:01:15
Link | Quote | Reply

For all of us crafters out there we completely frustrated with the current crafting system. When a crafter is above the level for a craft there should be NO breaks! SE, please make the crafting system in FFXIV fun, feasible, and enjoyable to do instead of giving us headaches and higher blood pressure from frustration of breaking synths and losing precious materials.

Players and crafters, please offer your suggestions as they are much appreciated.
[+]
 Ramuh.Konoko
user: lnick
By Ramuh.Konoko 2009-06-14 02:08:41
Link | Quote | Reply

100% on Imperial Wootz Ingots?
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-14 02:10:52
Link | Quote | Reply

They should make buff/warp/zone crafting work again...
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-14 02:40:04
Link | Quote | Reply

@OP: hell yes!

@Konoko: yes, it would bring down the price for people buying by getting rid of the risk of losing 900k in materials, as well as making more crafters willing to attempt it.

@Dasva: whut?

I have absolutely no issue with the current system in how much you need to work to get to 100, but once you've put in all that work you should get a little more reward imo. I understand that sometimes ***just breaks (IRL), but if they really want to have breaks possible when you're over the cap the % should be waaaaaaaay lower. Making it too easy means too many people have 100 crafts, creating too much competition and defeating the purpose of ever levelling it for those that do. More more more useful consumables would help a lot too.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-14 02:46:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Well if you zone warp have any spell cast on you take dmg you automatically fail synth. Right now that results in full 100% HQ break...even on the synths that you normally cant lose the items like rod repair. However back in the day you wouldn't lose anything and could still get skillups if timed well.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-14 02:49:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Dasva said:
Well if you zone warp have any spell cast on you take dmg you automatically fail synth. Right now that results in full 100% HQ break...even on the synths that you normally cant lose the items like rod repair. However back in the day you wouldn't lose anything and could still get skillups if timed well.

You mean you could exploit zoning in the middle of a craft to keep your ingredients and maybe still get a skill-up? Yeah, they should totally bring that back... </sarcasm>
[+]
 Ramuh.Alphir
By Ramuh.Alphir 2009-06-14 02:58:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
@OP: hell yes!

@Konoko: yes, it would bring down the price for people buying by getting rid of the risk of losing 900k in materials, as well as making more crafters willing to attempt it.

@Dasva: whut?

I have absolutely no issue with the current system in how much you need to work to get to 100, but once you've put in all that work you should get a little more reward imo. I understand that sometimes ***just breaks (IRL), but if they really want to have breaks possible when you're over the cap the % should be waaaaaaaay lower. Making it too easy means too many people have 100 crafts, creating too much competition and defeating the purpose of ever levelling it for those that do. More more more useful consumables would help a lot too.

Thanks Blazza, I agree with you. I don't have a problem with current skill up system and getting to 100. It isn't broken it just needs to be more rewarding to those that put in the time to lvl them. eg: a master chef such as Emeril doesn't burn a pot of food and then drop it on the floor by accident! The chance to break synths should be null and void, or negligent past a certain level over the cap.

Yes, SE needs to make some recipe materials realistic to obtain either by fair NPC purchase price or a decent drop rate for those that farm. Can we have a synth recipe to make ground wasabi already please? I watched the video review of LOTRO and they mentioned the crafting system was fun and rewarding. Can we have that please?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-14 02:59:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Dasva said:

You mean you could exploit zoning in the middle of a craft to keep your ingredients and maybe still get a skill-up? Yeah, they should totally bring that back... </sarcasm>

Well you lost your crystal... sure beats losing several 100k on a successful synth when thats your best option to skillup on.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-14 03:57:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Das, I'm sure it was great, but that's why it's an EXPLOIT.
[+]
 Bahamut.Rumaha
Server: Bahamut
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-06-14 06:06:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it should kinda be like WoW.. only thing i like from WoW is that.. u bought the recipes and it color coded it.. like Grey ment no skill etc etc. also having the mats on a list in front of u is always nice instead of lookin it up.

i agree if ur high enough or above at all no breaks..
 Asura.Davinia
Server: Asura
user: Davinia
By Asura.Davinia 2009-06-14 06:36:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Dasva said:

/blockaid ftw

why would you craft anywhere with that can cause all of the above anyway? I can understand the Mobs if your crafting out in the field though!
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-06-14 06:49:28
Link | Quote | Reply

What's fun about 100% success? Everyone would succeed, which would lower the prices of everything that's worth half a dime, and that'd lead to people undercutting until everything costs 10 gil.

Explain to me how that would be "fun"? It'd be fun the first couple of times you don't fail, but then you'd get pissed off at how little the effort's actually worth it financially.

If they implement a crafting system, then I for one, as an experienced crafter who has suffered the same injustices as everyone else, hopes they have breakages. The thought of the next crafter losing 500k on a Haubergeon is what helps me make as much as I do. If there were no risks involved, how would I ever get my hands on the materials? The AH would be bought out of them as soon as they went up and Haubergeons would cost about 20k, if you're lucky.

I can't see how this would help anybody. It'd just tread on everyone's toes; the only people who would benefit is the consumer who's making money by a non-crafting, non-farming crafting materials manner. If you're only considering caps under a specific level proportionate to your craft skill, then what's the point?

I really couldn't care if I break a Bronze Ingot, being 104 levels above the synth. I get over it and carry on with what I was doing. When I broke a Haubergeon recently and lost a Damascus Ingot, I just moved on and carried on with what I was doing. The element of danger is always there, and it makes it more exciting. If it wasn't and I knew I couldn't possibly lose the ingot, what reason would I have not to bother?

So breakages... What is the point without them?

Alphir said:
It isn't broken it just needs to be more rewarding to those that put in the time to lvl them.

The millions of gil you can make with a 100 craft isn't reward enough, then? You probably put equal time into levelling jobs or skilling up weapons or something. Do you expect a reward for them? The end product, and what you can do with it, is the reward. Same applies to crafting.
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-06-14 07:31:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I can understand to lower synths when you have a craft at 100, but always being 100%? Just no.

No matter how good someone is at something at any situation - there always will be ***: fantasy or real world.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-14 21:07:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn you Woo and your damn logic. You make perfect sense. But then, how many master chefs *** up a cheese sandwich so bad that they lose the bread? In this case I think a half-way point would be appropriate, like you breaking a bronze ingot when you're 104 levels above cap, while cheap, can be damn annoying because it means you have to go and source another crystal and another ingot because you brought just enough for the next synth.

My (new) suggestion is to have a complexity rating on each synth (doesn't have to be visible) which determines the likely-hood of it breaking or losing the materials if you're over the cap. A level 100 blacksmith might *** up a pair of iron mittens due to not concentrating since it's such an easy recipe, or perhaps the iron chain had a weak link or something. But if you're melting down 4 bronze beast coins into a bronze ingot, a half asleep drunk blind man with no experience couldn't fail that, and even if he did he wouldn't lose the ingredients.

So yeah, perhaps recipes with just 1 or 2 ingredients should be 100% (over a certain cap), but the more ingredients it has the more likely you are to fail or lose ingredients. This way crafting things like Haubergeons would still carry the same risk, but preparing the low level ingredients for it would have a guaranteed (or much higher) success rate. This would make the crafting system just how it is now, but eliminate those stupid annoying breaks that don't really mean much.
[+]
 Ramuh.Alphir
By Ramuh.Alphir 2009-06-15 16:55:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you Blazza! I was going to respond to Woo's comment, but honestly I wasn't sure how to. I guess we have difference in opinion. This is why I asked for suggestions, not to tear down my idea.

Blazza, you bring up some very good points and ideas. I wasn't necessarily asking for 100% all the time, just some tweaks to make it more enjoyable and sensible. One of my biggest frustrations is what you mentioned. I'd get a stack of all materials for a synth, then break 1-2 out of a stack when I'm 50 lvls above the cap, then have to pick-up a whole other stack and have partial stax leftovers. Once I had to head to Ulegerand Range to steal frost turnips from bunnies just to finish my stack! How frustrating :/

I would like to see a crafting system that is fair, challenging and fun. Maybe base it off the tier system for HQ synths, but inversely proportional for less breaks. 10 lvls above the cap = 10% HQ rate, 10% decrease in chance to break. Simple and easy to do. I don't feel it will take anything away from the challenge and rewards.

eg: crafter level 100: synth <50 = 50% HQ rate and 2.5% chance to break

Blazza said:

So yeah, perhaps recipes with just 1 or 2 ingredients should be 100% (over a certain cap), but the more ingredients it has the more likely you are to fail or lose ingredients. This way crafting things like Haubergeons would still carry the same risk, but preparing the low level ingredients for it would have a guaranteed (or much higher) success rate. This would make the crafting system just how it is now, but eliminate those stupid annoying breaks that don't really mean much.

This idea makes pretty good sense to me. It won't break the crafting system, just make it more sensible and fun without taking away the challenge of the higher synths.
 Valefor.Jarkenz
Server: Valefor
user: jarkenz
By Valefor.Jarkenz 2009-06-16 15:01:35
Link | Quote | Reply

The crafting system in WoW is one of the reasons I quit playing it...i could hardly get past 4 weeks of play it felt so pointless.

Pointless? yes, because i knew I could not fail and knew that I could easily get a craft maxed on skill in a very short time. No sense of accomplishment.

There needs to be things in these MMOs that make some one feel like they earned something and so that others can say 'way to go dude' like they mean it.

Any new crafting system needs to give higher HQ rates to those who cap ONLY if it actually takes effort and commitment to reach the cap.

This goes for busting stuff well below as well which I'm sure most agree with.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [450 days between previous and next post]
 Cerberus.Kalyna
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2010-09-09 07:31:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't mind the botching itself, I do mind that got sheep leather and hempen cloth for a bit of gil (2k total) as well as shards (wind shards are a bit hard to find outside of Gridania unless you know where they drop) and losing them ALL pisses me off.

Edit: >.> Didn't realize this was made a long time ago. Either way I was gonna make a new thread about this but decided to save space =P
 Ragnarok.Cerelyn
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Cerelyn 2010-09-21 01:12:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Make it so you can craft multible times on one go.

"You need wait longer to preform that action" drives me nuts
 Asura.Tristean
Server: Asura
user: Tristean
By Asura.Tristean 2010-09-21 01:43:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the system is fine except for the lag that I'm sure they'll fix. Isn't crafting supposed to be like "job" now and not something you can do on the side to make some money? If you wanted to, you'd never have to pick up a weapon and you could level your character to Physical 50 through crafting. Not that I'm suggesting that but that is really cool. So if you were to get 100% synths on items you THINK you shouldn't break(I'm saying this because there are like no definite levels for items except for like moko grass > hempen yarn, beehive chips > bees wax, etc), how easy and boring of a job would that be if you theortically grow your character through crafting.

Honestly, I think you only break if you just press the wrong kind of synthesis type. Makes complete sense to me. Would a master chef who's making grilled cheese sandwhiches do it rapidly from the very beginning? No because then you would only have warm up cheese on dried up bread. That's not grilled cheese now is it?
By AreeyaJaidee 2010-10-14 14:01:15
Link | Quote | Reply

You can't zone warp in FFXIV > _>