Which Dagger Combo Should I Use?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » Which Dagger combo should I use?
Which Dagger combo should I use?
 Sylph.Shandok
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
By Sylph.Shandok 2013-01-05 20:12:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Been having a hard time debating what to use on my THF lately. Atm I use Coruscanti and Lux Pugio as my main combo, this is due to the fact that I Evi WS alot, also with my Kacura +1 eva gear set build (which has the extra +%crit rate seems to be a nice combo for crit dmg stacking while maintaining high eva.

However been wondering if I add these choices in the mix, which combo would you use. As you know Cor and Lux are there. Then Oynos Knife, Triplus Dagger, Mantodea Harpe, and finally Twilight Knife.

When I look at the stats, perks of these, its a hard choice to iron out. So figured I would check here if I am using the best combo I could be or if I should change it up. (Yes I know relic/emp/magian could be nice but man.. too lazy to grind my weeks away just for an upgrade atm...)
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2013-01-05 20:15:50
Link | Quote | Reply

None of your other listed options are worth it, except Oynos situationally.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By gmg123 2013-01-05 20:39:43
Link | Quote | Reply

As for the options you listed. You are using the best combo you can have, aside from oynos situationally as Austar said. If you are looking for an upgrade for the current set you have, and a dagger you can buy but is not in your list, would be aluh jimbaya/coruscanti.
 Carbuncle.Pwnzone
Server: Carbuncle
user: Pwnzone
By Carbuncle.Pwnzone 2013-01-05 21:04:12
Link | Quote | Reply

You could also toss those extra daggers for extra inventory. Cor Lux Oynos are what you should keep. As mentioned if youre willing to buy Aluh, you could also toss Lux & stick to Aluh/Cor combo & carry Oynos for situations where its worth it.
 Sylph.Shandok
By Sylph.Shandok 2013-01-05 23:10:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the info. =) Yea I figured I wont toss Oynos cause yea for farming, exp grind, that haste is nice. Good to know I am correct in the daggers I use then.

I was more curious since some THFs I know are all about "DA/TA" options etc. (Which I guess would be twilight knife too) That along with AF3+2, however I dont feel the "urge" to be a DA/TA thf.. Sure I need to gather my TH armor sets for those times that I need TH > anything else.

My main role on THF is to survive. Solo those NMs as THF/DNC or /NIN if needed. Aby fun, general fun, VW, and just doing out in general.

This is my gear useage for my daily work. I switch to Ath Mantle when I need that extra boost in dmg > eva. (Still working on Boxers mantle)

So my main focus on this gear build, is to give myself great Evi WS, Crit %, Crit Dmg, and Evasion. What more could a THF want, or when able to SA and TA. =D
 Phoenix.Suji
Server: Phoenix
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2013-01-05 23:35:12
Link | Quote | Reply

You will find that the majority of folks prefer to use different gear sets that are optimized for different purposes, rather than trying to find one set to rule them all.
[+]
 Asura.Zizek
Server: Asura
user: zizek
By Asura.Zizek 2013-01-05 23:37:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Shandok said: »
What more could a THF want
gear haste for starters
[+]
 Ramuh.Yarly
user: nignog
By Ramuh.Yarly 2013-01-06 00:32:53
Link | Quote | Reply

ITT: How to gear swap.
[+]
 Phoenix.Kaparu
user: Tsuko
By Phoenix.Kaparu 2013-01-06 00:42:36
Link | Quote | Reply

He's asking for help and not being obnoxious. Be a *** elsewhere.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2013-01-06 01:01:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I.. I'm sorry, but wow >_>
 Ramuh.Yarly
By Ramuh.Yarly 2013-01-06 01:02:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kaparu said: »
He's asking for help and not being obnoxious. Be a *** elsewhere.
You've successfully defended the kingdom from ***! Congratulations, etc.

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Shandok
By Sylph.Shandok 2013-01-06 01:55:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea MDT I have items for too already, normally I always have a WHM with me anyways. Then my PLD would be used for mobs that really need me to take on magic happy items. (If a /NIN wouldnt work, otherwise shadows work well too)

As for "one set to rule them all" Well yea.. of course many sets help, like if I was to use a TP set, Id prob just stick with AF3+2 and go with the DA/TA stuff. (Which case would Cor/Lux still be the ideal daggers to stay with or would one of the others mixed in be more helpful. Tho.. I could just use my Merc Kris for tp) But otherwise, I kinda do play 1 set with minor tweaks. This is cause THF isnt my "main" focus. I still try to work with PLD.. but I play WAR and DRG as well. Also am the type who HATES to gear swap in inv all the time lol.

So usually I play WAR/NIN should I need to bring on the DD and survive via shadows (Otherwise WAR/SAM for pure DD, tping like in VW)

DRG/SAM for DD

PLD/WAR or /DNC for times I need to be able to take on the damage, have my own cures, and whatever else.

My THF, I play for when I want the mobs to just whiff away while I take it down, but not seem gimpped in the dmg dept.
 Ramuh.Yarly
By Ramuh.Yarly 2013-01-06 02:16:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Well then, it sounds like you know what you're doing. That hybrid damage/evasion set looks perfect.

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Evilbob
Server: Bismarck
user: evilbob3
By Bismarck.Evilbob 2013-01-06 03:37:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh make a relic already, would take you 3 months as a solo thf, less with some help.
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2013-01-06 05:54:29
Link | Quote | Reply

your war is using a suppanomimi with Great axe. your thief witch is dual wielding daggers are not ???

using you argument why you dont need mdt since you always have a whm with you. that can be applied to evasion to so why are you running in evasion gear only?

Sylph.Shandok said: »
Thanks for the info. =)
I was more curious since some THFs I know are all about "DA/TA" options etc.
There is more to gearing thf than just da/ta and evasion. .
im guessing you area asking for daggers advice because you want to improve you dmg output and thereby your killing performance.

i would really advice you to try make a gearset with a decent amount of haste & DW so you can kill faster and work better with shadows
Then try gear swaping for ws.

if you are doing abyssea and have your atma an abyssites set (GH + RR + apoc/vv/ss & and +50 stats boost) you don't really need evasion in gear.

Bismarck.Evilbob said: »
Oh make a relic already, would take you 3 months as a solo thf, less with some help.

not all of us wants to dedicate 3 months for a single item.

also 3 month of dedication could be used on other stuff improving his dmg way more than a relic dagger i believe
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-01-06 05:58:48
Link | Quote | Reply

There are pieces with evasion and haste on them, you know.

Priorities for Hybrid Evasion sets:

1.) Haste
2.) Evasion
3.) Everything else
 Sylph.Shandok
By Sylph.Shandok 2013-01-06 10:03:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Gaiarorshack said: »
your war is using a suppanomimi with Great axe. your thief witch is dual wielding daggers are not ???

Actually my war uses suppanomimi for when I use dual axes. I mean least till I get brutal earring done. But man.. CoP.. sigh.. time taken to do you.

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
There are pieces with evasion and haste on them, you know.

Priorities for Hybrid Evasion sets:

1.) Haste
2.) Evasion
3.) Everything else

Thanks, Ill see what I can find on haste stuff. I wonder if there are good haste rings/earrings that could augment the armor I use now.

Also I dont just thf for aby. Granted, seems Aby is all one needs now... but yea, in general. Any type of mob I would be up against that would be more ideal against eva. Also soloing.. I guess I should say, soloing as the person tanking, doing damage, or the one being relied on. Even with a WHM, doesnt mean everything is 100% easy. Also outside of aby is still a different ball game. But yea, its been helpful all these tips on the hybrid/eva gear. =D Also good to know that I am using the good daggers till I work up relic/emp stuff. Just wont worry about that till I get other tasks done I need in game.. Wotg, Toau story missions, Shantotto expansion, cop beat. Dyna farming I need to do as well, however not for thf relic. More so for my pld aegis.
 Leviathan.Kincard
Server: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2013-01-06 10:14:10
Link | Quote | Reply

It sounds like you're restricting your use of THF to a lot of mid-level content, for which honestly you could wear a typical melee set and still be relatively safe because of THF's naturally high evasion. With a WHM following you around to cure you, there is no reason for you to be dying other than carelessness/lag/one shot/etc.

If you want a relatively simple-to-get hybrid Eva set I just threw this together real quick and I think it doesn't work too bad (I omit Thaumas since I assume you don't have any yet):

Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-01-06 10:33:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kincard said: »
It sounds like you're restricting your use of THF to a lot of mid-level content, for which honestly you could wear a typical melee set and still be relatively safe because of THF's naturally high evasion. With a WHM following you around to cure you, there is no reason for you to be dying other than carelessness/lag/one shot/etc.

If you want a relatively simple-to-get hybrid Eva set I just threw this together real quick and I think it doesn't work too bad (I omit Thaumas since I assume you don't have any yet):

Brego gloves!
 Bismarck.Vraelia
Server: Bismarck
user: Vraelia
By Bismarck.Vraelia 2013-01-06 11:19:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Leviathan.Kincard said: »

Brego gloves!

I kinda like those werewolf's gloves. :)