Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » Thief Maat
Thief Maat
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2012-12-19 15:37:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Can anyone give me some advice regarding Stealing THF testimonies?

I've been helping a friend try and farm one (she doesn't have paintbrush) and 60+ attempts on Tonberry persuer's and nothing!! (we killed the mob to ensure it had a test) Am I doing something wrong?

I'm about to farm a damn paintbrush and just kill the nm 90000 times until we win.
 Cerberus.Tikal
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-12-19 15:39:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Get it to 5~1% HP. Steal+ gear. That's all I can say. I used Platinum Quadavs in Beaudeux back when.
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2012-12-19 15:43:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Tried this, 0/30ish on quadavs then gave up, we're using +6 steal
By Shiroineko 2012-12-19 15:47:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I used the gobs in cape terrigan i think. All I can say is, yea... get it as low HP as freaking possible. GL :/
 Valefor.Esdain
Server: Valefor
user: esdain
By Valefor.Esdain 2012-12-19 15:47:14
Link | Quote | Reply

All I can tell you is persistence. You just have to be lucky. Stack Steal+ gear. Some placebo effects seem to be steal from behind and when monster has low HP can increase the chances. I don't know how much I believe that actually works, or people just got lucky one time doing it that way and now always do it that way. Meh. Who knows. If it makes /you/ think it will work better, then I don't see any reason not to try it.
 Valefor.Altheav
Server: Valefor
user: altheav
By Valefor.Altheav 2012-12-19 15:48:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I soloed mine on the Tonberry Shadower in Yhoator Jungle, on the outside of the temple. You have to go through the temple to get to him, I believe, but I don't think it requires the paintbrush room. I used all my Steal+ gear. Snuck up behind him, hit Steal, then Hide immediately. Then run away out of his range, wait for timers to be back up, and try again. It took a while, but I think I got it within 10~15 tries.
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2012-12-19 15:50:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Theres a NM that drops it, just gunna do him (tried shadow 10 times too)
 Carbuncle.Anesthesia
Server: Carbuncle
user: analgesia
By Carbuncle.Anesthesia 2012-12-19 15:50:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I know this is a completely terrible/stereotypical response, but it doesn't make it any less true.

If you have friends who will cleave you, you will very likely be able to level WHM and win that fight more quickly than you will get through thief.

If you just want the pleasure of being able to say you won on thief, more power to you and good luck.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2012-12-19 15:50:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I did this for maat on a set of mules once, figuring the easiest thing would be to steal from maat and progress to 99 then worry about everything else.

The fastest mule got it's testimony and successfully stole from Maat in about 80 minutes.

The slowest had a total of 29 hours of half-afk stealing before I gave up, abyssea burned WHM, and did WHM maat.

Average steal rate worked out to be ~6%, for whatever that's worth.
 Cerberus.Tikal
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-12-19 15:50:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Goblins are a decent idea for Teriggan. Reminds me of a strategy I used to get easy testimonies. Steal from a gob -> hide -> afk 5 minutes -> rinse -> repeat.
 Carbuncle.Jsbahamut
user: JSbahamut
By Carbuncle.Jsbahamut 2012-12-19 15:54:50
Link | Quote | Reply

A faster way is: THF/BLM Cape Terrigan, Steal > Hide > warp > change sub to reset timers > OP warp > repeat.
I got my testy quite fast this way, with a try every 2 minutes or so
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2012-12-19 15:59:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Jsbahamut said: »
A faster way is: THF/BLM Cape Terrigan, Steal > Hide > warp > change sub to reset timers > OP warp > repeat.
I got my testy quite fast this way, with a try every 2 minutes or so

Smart I'll try this if fail, I'll leave conagh logged here and dual box nm otherwise ^^

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By tiggo 2012-12-22 23:23:08
Link | Quote | Reply

easyest way to steal a test for thief on any mob is to have sleep bolts. or a sleeper you can stack steal gear but itsnt fully needed at. the end of the day its still fully luck also.. when a mob is sleep with low hp i always had better luck this way...
 Ragnarok.Kongming
Server: Ragnarok
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-12-22 23:39:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I know you said you killed the mob, but make sure it repops in front of your eyes so you know for sure it has a testimony. Sounds like you did this, but that's my only suggestion, since 0/60 sounds abnormally low to me.
 Carbuncle.Justicebringer
By Carbuncle.Justicebringer 2012-12-23 00:19:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I had a RDM friend solo the gobbies down in Cape Terrigan to steal from them. Although your low steal rate seems unusual. Does she have one already in her inventory? Or perhaps stored?
 Bahamut.Foxxy
Server: Bahamut
user: Foxxy
By Bahamut.Foxxy 2012-12-23 01:21:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I soloed mine, Cape Terrigan just steal > hide and wait 5 min while watching tv someplace safe. Took 1-2 hour but wasn't difficult.

Good Luck